The Mystery of the Dom Funf

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
AmuroNT1

The Mystery of the Dom Funf

This is a subject I've been researching for quite some time, since I was always quite fond of it in Zeonic Front. But it's always bugged me how we still don't know much about the Funf in general, something which was brought back to my attention by the announcement of the "Mayfly of Space 2" picture drama for the new 0083 Blu-rays, which shows Cima's Gelgoog Marine clashing with that odd red-and-orange Dom from 0083's first episode.

Games like Zeonic Front, Gundam War, and Card Builder suggest that it's simply Yamane's Dom from 08th MS Team in green and brown colors, while Card Builder identifies that red and orange Dom as "Test Type Rick Dom (Augille Delaz Unit)". However, while researching this, I found this image which I've never seen before, but appears on several Japanese blogs labeled as the Funf. It's obviously a half-way step between the classic Dom (seen in the chest and legs) and the many Funf subtypes (seen in the head and arms). Of course, even this doesn't match up with "Delaz's Dom" as seen in 0083 ep1, which has the Tropen-style "beam point" and skirt armor.

I was hoping someone more learned than myself might be able to source this mysterious Funf lineart, and maybe put this mystery to rest once and for all.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Massignifico

Re: The Mystery of the Dom Funf

AmuroNT1 wrote:However, while researching this, I found this image which I've never seen before, but appears on several Japanese blogs labeled as the Funf.
There is already a thread on this image, it's a lineart which depicts the standard Dom for a particular toy line (I forgot which one)
Gelgoog Jager

I wouldn't give much weight to the card depiction of some MS. I mean, just look at the case of the MS-06DRC:

http://fine.ap.teacup.com/gcollekan/180.html

The card gives the unit a backpack like that of other Desert Zakus (you can see the top rectangular exhaust port), but the official lineart clealry shows it has the backpack of a regular MS-06J.

Unfortunately as much as I like Zeonic Front, I must also admit that its version of the Dom Funf is probably something cooked up only for the game, much like the MS-05B Zaku I Land Warfare Type, or the more similar case of the MS-07A, which I believe also lacks an official depiction. There's also odd weapons such as the 120mm and 90mm ballistic sniper rifles, as well as the experimental beam rifle used by Sandra's MS, which are not seen anywhere else.
AmuroNT1

Well, I know that at least some of the unique weapons from ZF have a precedent, like the Zeon heavy shield appearing in the MS Era artbook. And I could have sworn Sandra's beam rifle was the same one used by Gato's Gelgoog.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
JEFFPIATT

the MS-07A gouf seems to just be how the game handled having the YMS-07A being deployed as an field unit same as the b type the first one we see is an yms-07b and the later units are ms-07b. With the MS-09F Dom Funf the use of the 08th ms team line art was how the developers handled putting both it and the 0079 one in the game the one we see in 0083 was the tropen troso witch fits with the concept that the /trop was just an equipment pack for the Funf
Gelgoog Jager

AmuroNT1 wrote:Well, I know that at least some of the unique weapons from ZF have a precedent, like the Zeon heavy shield appearing in the MS Era artbook. And I could have sworn Sandra's beam rifle was the same one used by Gato's Gelgoog.
I recall the shield from MS Era, but I can't remember if it was the same shield from Zeonic Front. The beam rifle I'm almsot sure was somethign different from Gato's, but again I can't remember it very well. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on both accounts.
JEFFPIATT wrote:the MS-07A gouf seems to just be how the game handled having the YMS-07A being deployed as an field unit same as the b type the first one we see is an yms-07b and the later units are ms-07b. With the MS-09F Dom Funf the use of the 08th ms team line art was how the developers handled putting both it and the 0079 one in the game the one we see in 0083 was the tropen troso witch fits with the concept that the /trop was just an equipment pack for the Funf
Well, the Mahq profile says:

The MS-07A Gouf is an early production model that is identical to the MS-07B Gouf in all but one respect: weapons.

This would imply that literally it's a MS-07B with standard manipulators (which ironically is the route the MS-07H-8 and partially the MS-07B-3 take). IIRC, in the TV series Amuro ends up fighting a large of Goufs at Odessa, out of which at least 4 of them are equipped with Zaku machineguns. Maybe those were actually supposed to be MS-07A units?

As for the Dom Funf, the thing is that it is quite different from any other Dom Type, so I have a hard time thinking that even the more up-to-date design from 08th could be drastically modified into one. According to Mark, not even the 08th design which is meant to show a closer relationship to the Rick Dom II can be converted into the later, so it should be even less likely for a Dom Funf to be converted from a different machine.