The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Calubin_175

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

I think the problem is that in the post-SEED era, the new generation era kids think that strong units could only be Gundams and hence the traditional definition of Gundam being a hero(or one lone anti-hero) is now gone. Random kids always, say oh it isn't a Gundam and therefore it must be a grunt. Similar thing with the Kamen Rider franchise, but recently there are still boss tier Kaijins.

Nowadays, to retain the brand, they like to use the word Gundam in universe, and it is difficult to just call something Gundam without a prefix. Since it has a prefix, it must have other accompanying Gundams in the same universe.

On another note, there is a limitation of overly using the Gundam name/Gundam face, despite its proliferation, Gundams are still restricted to having a skinny proportion and an archetypal face. This defeats the merit of the Gundam franchise of having multiple MS of varying proportions(i.e Zeta Gundam TMS. TMA, Bylarant, The O) and silhouettes, unlike other mecha franchises where they are restricted to one silhouette per faction. The thing with Gusion and Lucifer were an attempt to adopt the term Gundam to describe a category of high end mobile suits without being restricted to a certain visual design. Though, the existence of a seemly universal Gundam Frame in IBO suggests that there may be a skinny Gundam inside the Gusion. If the Kimaris frame turns out to different, then we may get a fat frame for Gusion. IBO will still have non-Gundam named/faced/proportioned top tier machines as the term Gundam is deemed a bit obsolete and they are difficult to replicate.

The most prolific use of the Gundam face(and proportion) so far is Gundam Seed. Gundam 00 and IBO at least have an in universe definition of what a Gundam is, and any faction who don't have access to one will at least create a strong MS with a non-Gundam face.

It is kind of sad how this is what happens when traditions aren't retained and then definitions are changed.
Dark Duel

Generally speaking I agree. There seems to be this misconception that only a Gundam can fight another Gundam on an even footing, and I think that very few recent series really defy that convention - which bugs me a bit, because that was something about older series that I did like.
One minor nitpick though...
The most prolific use of the Gundam face(and proportion) so far is Gundam Seed.
Ahem...G Gundam would like a word with you.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
kabukigang777

Dark Duel wrote:Generally speaking I agree. There seems to be this misconception that only a Gundam can fight another Gundam on an even footing, and I think that very few recent series really defy that convention - which bugs me a bit, because that was something about older series that I did like.
One minor nitpick though...
The most prolific use of the Gundam face(and proportion) so far is Gundam Seed.
Ahem...G Gundam would like a word with you.
sorry if i make fight,im just tried waiting for nothing every year,all i like is to see more real gundam because i want to see people having freedom of choice not just 5 and other never have chance to see the gundam suited to people like me im just sad every year no gundam that suits me.
Calubin_175

G Gundam had an in-universe justification at least, as in every nation had one and was categorised as a Mobile Fighter where all of them had Gundam faces.

Anyway, we'll see what Gundam really refers to in IBO, maybe it is to do with internal make rather than face and proportions.

We are getting a Gushion 1/100, but the internal frame is still a mystery.

That other weird looking HG MS revealed might be a high performance machine as well.
kabukigang777

Calubin_175 wrote:G Gundam had an in-universe justification at least, as in every nation had one and was categorised as a Mobile Fighter where all of them had Gundam faces.

Anyway, we'll see what Gundam really refers to in IBO, maybe it is to do with internal make rather than face and proportions.

We are getting a Gushion 1/100, but the internal frame is still a mystery.

That other weird looking HG MS revealed might be a high performance machine as well.
your right in IBO series they will gonna focus on gundam frames not faces,i guess all 26 gundam i hope we see it all(what i mean they release the lineart)i hopes if berith name will exist i will be happy,ippei the designer of guison and g-lucifer,just has attitude to build gundam not face gundam,i like the head design on kimaris,if he need to succeed in the gundam series he need to make more kimaris like face(what i mean liberate the gundam face)not making sasabi and call it gundam,i just like to see 1/100 IBO gundam the real and complete one suited to me.
Last edited by kabukigang777 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
balofo

Actually there's some new info in the 1/100 Barbatos manual:

A)Descriptions for the backpack arms, explanation for the Long Sword added grip(I can read energy loss in katakana). The Smoothbore Gun caliber is 300mm and it has a machine gun barrel under the larger barrel which is 60mm.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CU3eChtUcAAR35M.jpg:orig

B)Explanation for the Ahab Reactor, it seems to mention how Teiwaz tuned it up.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CU32IIaUYAES95P.jpg:orig

Just wait some days until dalong scans the whole pages.

I guess it's safe to say the 1/100 manuals will give us calibers for the firearms since we already know the Graze one.

BTW a HJ scan confirmed the Gusion has head vulcans and the chest has weapons. The MW from the 4th Option Set mentions it's a new model so maybe it belongs to an Earth bloc.
Chris
Administrator

kabukigang777 wrote:your right its more on gundam frame not face,lets see i guess all 26 gundam i hope we see it all i hopes if berith will exist i will be happy,ippei the designer of guison and g-lucifer just has attitude to build gundam not face gundam i like the head design on kimaris if he need to succeed he need to make more kimaris like face what i mean liberate the gundam face not making sasabi and call it gundam i just like to see 1/100 IBO gundam the real one suited to me.
I don't know if English is your first language or not, but your posts are horrible and make no sense. Please put effort into making cohesive statements that people can actually understand.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kabukigang777

Chris wrote:
kabukigang777 wrote:your right its more on gundam frame not face,lets see i guess all 26 gundam i hope we see it all i hopes if berith will exist i will be happy,ippei the designer of guison and g-lucifer just has attitude to build gundam not face gundam i like the head design on kimaris if he need to succeed he need to make more kimaris like face what i mean liberate the gundam face not making sasabi and call it gundam i just like to see 1/100 IBO gundam the real one suited to me.
I don't know if English is your first language or not, but your posts are horrible and make no sense. Please put effort into making cohesive statements that people can actually understand.
sorry about that i will re-fix my comment
MayflyOfSpace

balofo wrote: BTW a HJ scan confirmed the Gusion has head vulcans and the chest has weapons. The MW from the 4th Option Set mentions it's a new model so maybe it belongs to an Earth bloc.
Have we seen any images of the 4th set or is it just a mention of it?
X-Sri-Uzumaki-X

I believe you're referring to set 3, no? I haven't heard about a 4th MS option set for IBO yet.

Set 3 pictured below (GUSION is gonna be a TANK if he uses these weapons for close range and follows up with cannon-fire from those chest cannons & head vulcans at mid range!) You can keep the beam weapons for one series if we can get maces, hammers, and halberds, haha! :P

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/matrixcollectible ... rder-3.gif
MayflyOfSpace

Nah, that mobile worker is the Gjallarhorn model. Balofo mentioned a new design we don't know anything about yet.
X-Sri-Uzumaki-X wrote:You can keep the beam weapons for one series if we can get maces, hammers, and halberds, haha! :P
I agree. I'm kind of glad that IBO had decided to take a step back from the standard sci-fi weaponry, opting instead for something a bit more, old school.
balofo

Hyakuren manual:

-Model number: STH-05. Overall height: 18.2m, dry weight:35.5t
-Hyakuren: Hyakuren is a mainline general purpose type MS that is being operated by Teiwaz and its lower branches. It was the prototype for a high output machine that had been planned to be developed in the late stage of the Calamity War, the blueprints from those days were acquired by Teiwaz's engineers which took a long time to finally manage to complete the frame. Since it re-uses an ancient Ahab Reactor for power it's not possible to say that it is a complete Teiwaz made MS, it's a valuable machine since it was the first time in recent years when someone besides Gjallarhorn succeeded in developing a frame. Mass-production lines still haven't been arranged, the difficulty of the frame development can be perceived. Currently, only 44 machines are operating; main operation in the asteroid and debris belt is assumed so heavy armored equipment is standard. By deliberately raising the machine's weight, resistance to collision energy is enhanced. In MS warfare it makes use of that trait, it shows its forte particularly in close combat; it chases after enemies in formation with Hyakuri and its superior mobility. Armaments are also well designed for distance balance, it's known as a machine that has great versatility since it's not influenced by any environment too. Since it's also recognized as the MS that symbolizes Teiwaz in the Outer Sphere, its very appearance has become a deterrence.
-Azee Gurumin: She is a cool woman that stays composed when performing military operations.
-Environmental activity: all-round operation has become the design idea, it's an excellent machine that can show its ability even in the harsh space environment such as the debris belt and the like. In Teiwaz the machines also have information sharing among them so at any time a version up in the system level and so forth can be underway.
-Platoon formation: during combat a 2 Hyakurens formation is the standard in contrast with a 3 machine formation that is often taken for reconnaissance and patrolling missions where a single Hyakuri excels in.
-Single edge type Blade: close combat blade manufactured for the Hyakuren's use. It's able to be stored in a scabbard on the rear waist, the scabbard can be mounted on the Hyakuri's backpack.
-Rifle Cannon: lightweight rifle manufactured by one of Teiwaz's lower branches, Euro Electronics, engaged in heavy industries. It's has a sliding type stock mechanism in the rear.
-Knuckle Guard: close combat armament stored on the machine's waist armor. It has an electric discharge mechanism, at the moment of impact the attack target suffers an electric shock.

Welp, these IBO manuals are a pain to translate, I wonder who writes this mess. HGUC manuals are so much clear in comparison.

Anyway someone posted specs for the Teiwaz MS weapons in jp wiki, it must be from this month's HJ(no source given) and therefore legit:

A)Hyakuren:
JEE-201 100mm Rifle Cannon
JEE-202 Single edge type Blade
JEE-203 Knuckle Guard

B)Hyakuri:
JEE-101 110mm Rifle
JEE-102 Revolving chamber-style Grenade Launcher
JEE-103 4-tube Rocket Launcher

Amida's Hykuren Assault Rifle should have the JEE-204 model number.

*1/100 Barbatos translation as soon as I get the scans

The Thursday after this one is going to be nuts with Amida's Hyakuren, Gusion, Manrodi and Cutan 3 Type Booster being released. We might get early info like last time
cntr

Back in episode 2, the Barbatos runs out of "fuel" for its boosters. Ahab Reactors are perpetual power sources from all appearances, but saying the boosters have separate power sources makes no sense either.

A better explanation is that Ahab Reactions can't generate perpetual thrust, and what they call "fuel" there is reaction mass. Real life rockets use chemical reactions as both the energy and propulsion, but a nuclear rocket keeps the energy source (the reactor) and the propulsion (heated fluids) separate. The Barbatos boosters seem to work the same way, atypically for a Gundam.
radioactive28

cntr wrote:... atypically for a Gundam.
he Unicorn Gundam ran out of propellant at the end of OVA 5 after trying to boost an entire ship into orbit. That was highly realistic (if you disregard the Newtype haxx that actually accomplished that boost in the end), one thing I really liked about the series. (In fact, the sequence of escaping into orbit illustrated an appreciation of the physics of spaceflights, even if one point was pretty glaring. Tidbit: try watching the OVA 1 Kshatriya-Jegan battle in very slo-mo)

Maybe they don't use it as a plot point or show it all that often, but I'm not sure if it's atypical of a mobile suit.

Mark's website goes into it a little bit, but the fuel/propellant discussion doesn't seem to come directly from official sources.

+1 though, for knowing the difference.
balofo

Funny how the booster box calls it Kutan Type 3, while en gundam info calls it Kutan Sangata:

http://img17.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/201 ... 93_041.jpg
http://en.gundam.info/topics/white/5135 ... t=&bigcat=

No box reveal for Gusion/Manrodi as expected, since it would reveal their pilots. Brewers are confirmed to be pirates that attack the Mars/Earth route
SonicSP

I always assumed the limited propellant thing was a normal thing for a Gundam show, at least in UC. I just assumed the Ahab Reactors can't generate anything that can be used as propellant unlike say the GN Drives from Gundam 00 where the products just about most functions in the mobile suits.

Also, thanks balofo for the translations as usual. Looks like many kits are coming up, and it would be nice to see them in the anime soon too.
MayflyOfSpace

X-Sri-Uzumaki-X wrote:I believe you're referring to set 3, no? I haven't heard about a 4th MS option set for IBO yet.
This is the 4th Option set:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2015/12/h ... r-new.html

I totally forgot that there was a picture (at least of the booster for the Kimaris) of this set that appeared when those new IBO mobile suits were revealed. I guess it just got sort of shuffled to the back. In any case, I'm digging the really simple European style sword in this set, and I'm guessing that the mobile worker belongs to some group on Earth and by that logic, the Kimaris does as well since it seems that the Gusion and Man Rodi belong to the Brewers, which seem to be some sort of space pirate group, and I can't really imagine that in this setting, a single faction would have more than one Gundam.
balofo

-1/100 Gusion description says it comes with parts for 2 not yet revealed weapons and more hidden gimmicks. Maybe the shoulder armor double as knuckle guards but I have no idea for the other hidden gimmicks. Its firearm is called submachinegun here.
-Option Set 4's large sword confirmed to be for Graze use. The high mobility booster isn't flat out said to be used by Kimaris but every promo pic and display has it being equipped to Kimaris. New MW is just called new type MW(it also mentions the MW are popular with gunota). http://img17.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/201 ... 36_007.jpg
-There's another 1/144 MS being released in February besides that new Gjallarhorn MS, no further info yet.

January: 1/144 Graze Kai upgrade and new Washio Gundam
February: 1/144 new Gjallarhorn MS and another unknown MS(silhouette should be revealed on Friday)
kabukigang777

balofo wrote:-1/100 Gusion description says it comes with parts for 2 not yet revealed weapons and more hidden gimmicks. Maybe the shoulder armor double as knuckle guards but I have no idea for the other hidden gimmicks. Its firearm is called submachinegun here.
-Option Set 4's large sword confirmed to be for Graze use. The high mobility booster isn't flat out said to be used by Kimaris but every promo pic and display has it being equipped to Kimaris. New MW is just called new type MW(it also mentions the MW are popular with gunota). http://img17.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/201 ... 36_007.jpg
-There's another 1/144 MS being released in February besides that new Gjallarhorn MS, no further info yet.

January: 1/144 Graze Kai upgrade and new Washio Gundam
February: 1/144 new Gjallarhorn MS and another unknown MS(silhouette should be revealed on Friday)
the washio gundam is ein dalton MS i guess?i sense some clue he will gonna have revenge,and have a connection to this two big guys(gundam partner of kimaris) just my bet, too early to barbatos upgrade olga has no gundam maybe if they reveal olgas gundam we will gonna see the upgrade.