How loud do you think mobile suits get?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gundam0089

How loud do you think mobile suits get?

Taking into account the motors that move the limbs, the footsteps, weapons firing, and of course the boosters. I'd imagine fighting in an urban environment would probably make a lot of people go deaf.
Wingnut

Re: How loud do you think mobile suits get?

Pretty darn loud at least with the weapons firing (See the opening of 08th where even though wearing hearing protection, a guy puts his hands over his ears when the Gundam fires its 100mm machine gun above him), though regular movement doesn't seem to be that loud as we have seen on at least a couple occasions of people hanging outside the cockpit while the mobile suit is walking along with the noise being no louder than a car running it would seem. (G Gundam, 08th).
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
SonicSP

In space, not loud at all.

*runs away*
Seto Kaiba

Gundam0089 wrote:Taking into account the motors that move the limbs, the footsteps, weapons firing, and of course the boosters. I'd imagine fighting in an urban environment would probably make a lot of people go deaf.
Depends on what it's doing...

Most of the noise from a mobile suit's operation is probably going to be related to motion. Noises from the power system are likely to be minimal, on account of the use of battery, nuclear and the various exotic power systems rather than a combustion process. The greatest source of noise on idling mobile suits is likely to be the various low-power motors and pumps running heat exchange systems to keep the power plant and other systems within nominal operating temperatures. (I'm talking heating AND cooling, depending on environment, to preserve performance and prevent the lubricants in various systems from congealing.) An idling mobile suit would probably sound like a colossal refrigerator.

Actual motor noise is likely to be relatively minimal too. Electromagnetic actuators are quiet and the hydraulics shown in publications like Master Archive are mostly inside sealed modules and thus are likely fairly well insulated. There'd be a background hum of running pumps and/or actuators on movement, but not likely to be at a volume more than mildly uncomfortable if you were standing directly under it.

Where things are likely to get unpleasant is in the consequences of motion. Even though the feet have shock absorbing systems, each step is likely to produce a metallic thud not unlike someone dropping a 50 gallon drum full of water or oil from a few feet. A nice resonant thud/clang like a piledriver coming down... which would likely be profoundly unpleasant at close range. Firing the rocket motors for a jump or low altitude flight would likely be where the volume gets to eardrum bursting levels... that and rapid-fire high-caliber conventional munitions. That is going to be VERY loud.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Gundam0089

I definitely would want a Dom going down my street. I'd bet those hover jets would generate all kinds of heat.
Seto Kaiba

Gundam0089 wrote:I definitely would want a Dom going down my street. I'd bet those hover jets would generate all kinds of heat.
Goodness yes... 500kN+ of thermonuclear jet engine thrust is going to be all kinds of noisy and hot.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Dendrobium Stamen

I've always wondered about just how loud the use of beam weapons would get; firing one of those things, or igniting a blade, would no doubt flash-heat the surrounding atmosphere and create quite the boom, surely.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Henyo

another thing to consider are the MS' with transformation abilities. all those moving and folding parts...
is it safe to say that, weapons aside, they generate more noise?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!