Newtypes, Cyber-Newtypes, and the human brain

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Newtypes, Cyber-Newtypes, and the human brain

Mimeblade wrote:^Depends on what you mean by "stable". Full Frontal was a terrorist... compare/contrast with Banagher Links who basically played "games" as a kid and had no compunctions for ruling the Earth Sphere.
Eh... whatever label you might want to stick on Frontal as the result of his (programmed) political affiliation to Neo Zeon, he was psychologically stable. It's not clear how much of his mental stability is down to having part of Char's "soul" ratting around in his brain meats and how much is down to improvements in the Cyber-Newtype process, but he's pretty balanced throughout.

Later generations of Cyber-Newtypes exhibit progressively less of the typical "tells" that a person underwent the enhancement process. The erratic behavior, emotional instability, memory issues, and tendency toward panic attack-like psychotic rampages that dominated depictions of Cyber-Newtypes in Zeta and ZZ are all but gone in the Cyber-Newtypes of 0093 and beyond.

That's why I suspect there's been some improvements in the Cyber-Newtype process to account for the decreased mental instabilities... possibly related to the discovery of Psycoframe technology.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
HalfDemonInuyasha

I'm also willing to guess that a Cyber-Newtype is usually worse off psychologically the more powerful they're made to be, hence why someone like Gyunei only seems to be "a little over-sensitive", but doesn't seem to be that powerful a Cyber-Newtype. Same with Gates Kappa in Zeta compared to someone like Rosamia.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
JEFFPIATT

The issues of some of the Titans cyber newtypes had could also be compounded by existing ,mental issues. Rosamia Badam had PTSD from being an survivor of the operation British drop. the rest of the sample group were other war orphans the later ones had more stable mindsets either because the person was more mentally stable or they started working on volunteers.
degwin_zabi

From what I understand, Tomino thought that it was possible for humans, who have lived in space for a good number of years, to develop psychic or near-psychic abilities. Which may or may not be impossible given our limited space exploration activities and that stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars are just as fictional as Gundam. However, I'm more concerned why technology to discover Newtypes wasn't invented, apparently. Star Wars used blood tests to discover those Forceful particles, or whatever they're called. You'd think the Universal Century would have developed enough to make such a device. Maybe the After War timeline had better luck. Also, is anyone else wondering how a philosopher/politician like Deikun was able to make such a bold claim? He'd probably have to be at least an amateur neuroscientist with a good enough study to back such a stupendous theory, if you don't mind me saying.
Brave Fencer Kirby

They do have technology for investigating newtypes -- that's what places like Zeon's Flanagan Institute and the Federation's Augusta Newtype Labs did. In MSG, when the White Base finally reaches Jaburo, he mentions that they did a medical check on him that involved a bunch of brain scans and stuff, while everyone else just had a basic physical done. Given that the psycommu system works by detecting and amplifying a specific type of brainwave unique to newtypes, there are certainly technological methods for identifying newtypes. But given how rare they are and how unpredictable their development is, it's presumably not cost effective to run every EFF recruit through the Newtype Detection Machine to see if they set off any alarms.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
MythSearcher

At least according to Gundam Officials, NTs give out a Psychommu-wave that travels in Minovsky particles, so I assume it will be pretty easy to detect if a person is a NT or not.
The problem is the wave pattern might not be the same for all NTs, thus Psychommu weapons will have to be customized for every single one of them.(I usually assume that those who can just sit in and control psychommu weapons are those who have a similar psychommu wave as Lalah, or anyone who had a chance of being customized, like Char. Since pilots like Shinn Matsunaga are said to be defensive NT and cannot control psychommu weapons, likely his pattern is quite a bit different from Lalah's data.)
Brave Fencer Kirby

"Defensive" newtypes? What's that mean? I've never heard of that idea before.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
MythSearcher

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:"Defensive" newtypes? What's that mean? I've never heard of that idea before.
Those that are exceptional in dodging to high NT level, but cannot control psychommu weapons.
The term only appeared to describe Shinn Matsunaga, who was said to have survived OYW without taking a single shot.