Female mechanical designers

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
doghunter1

Female mechanical designers

Don't know whether or not I should ask this in here or in Anime and Manga, so I'll put it here. Feel free to move.

Anyways, onward to the question: Are there any women who designed mecha for various shows (aside from Kaishaku's Kannazuki no Miko), or is this proof of Japan's misogyny?
AmuroNT1

Re: Female mechanical designers

I really hope you're not trying to make some kind of socio-political point about an entire nation based off of the fact that their cartoons tend to have robots designed by men rather than women.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
doghunter1

AmuroNT1 wrote:I really hope you're not trying to make some kind of socio-political point about an entire nation based off of the fact that their cartoons tend to have robots designed by men rather than women.
Not really. Just asking if there are any females who have done mechanical designs. Apologize for the latter clause.
Kuruni

CLAMP. At least I can't find who else design those Majin.

And they also did this.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Heaven Piercing Man

This ain't Tumblr...
doghunter1

Kuruni wrote:CLAMP. At least I can't find who else design those Majin.

And they also did this.
If you're referring to the Rayearth anime, that would be Masahiro Yamane.

Speaking of the Queen Gundam, where did that come from?
Kuruni

Well, the manga started a year before anime...then again, I don't have detailed info on the series' production.

Time to hunt down some shoujo manga with mecha...ok, that's ridiculous rare.

The Queen Gundam featured in this.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Henyo

interesting topic. one question though: are we talking about humanoid mechas or everything in between? like spaceplanes and power armors etc? IIRC mecha in japan covers more than the humanoid types.
Last edited by Henyo on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
doghunter1

Henyo wrote:interesting topic. one question though: are we talking about humanoid mechas or everything in between? like spaceplanes and power armors etc? IIRC mecha in japan is covers more than the humanoid types.
Humanoid mecha. Sorry for not being specific.
Chris
Administrator

doghunter1 wrote:Anyways, onward to the question: Are there any women who designed mecha for various shows (aside from Kaishaku's Kannazuki no Miko), or is this proof of Japan's misogyny?
This is a really stupid and sweeping generalization. Don't spout more nonsense like this or you'll get an official warning.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Heaven Piercing Man

but... muh soggy knees
doghunter1

Chris wrote:
doghunter1 wrote:Anyways, onward to the question: Are there any women who designed mecha for various shows (aside from Kaishaku's Kannazuki no Miko), or is this proof of Japan's misogyny?
This is a really stupid and sweeping generalization. Don't spout more nonsense like this or you'll get an official warning.
All right, I won't. Again, I apologize for that.
Erisie

Chris wrote:
To answer OP's question, I can't think of any. I do believe, however, that if you look in manga works (a much larger medium than anime or videogames), you'll probably find at least a couple.
Also, as far as I know, Kaishaku (Hitoshi Ota & Terumasa Shichinohe) are males.

EDIT: post edited. that is exactly the kind of political shitstirring we don't want here. don't do it again.

~ShadowCell