what kind of paint do MS use in their world?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Den

what kind of paint do MS use in their world?

i mean do they use matte type paint like those found in military vehicles, or do they use the shiny kind found in cars? not sure if this is in the correct forum though. and secondly, why do military vehicles tend to use matte paint scheme?
MythSearcher

Re: what kind of paint do MS use in their world?

Den wrote:i mean do they use matte type paint like those found in military vehicles, or do they use the shiny kind found in cars? not sure if this is in the correct forum though. and secondly, why do military vehicles tend to use matte paint scheme?
Because the shine will help your enemy locate you.
http://www.lonesentry.com/camouflage_manual/index.html

Most of the time modelers use matte, to give it a more militaristic look, but a lot of people like the shiny look better.
In some cases, this is justified to a certain extend(anti-laser reasons), and some justified in-universe, anti-beam coating is somewhat shiny and little can be done to that, like the Hyakushiki and V2A golden parts, Tomino seems to think of gold as the best colour for ABC and requested it, so you might be able to say the shiny comes from the different coloured ABC(less visible yet also less effective).
Dark Duel

Personally, I tend to prefer semi-gloss colors when I paint - it's a good compromise between the "Oooh, shiny!" look of gloss, and the more flat look of matte paints.

In-universe, there's really no way to determine for certain. But I would assume that unless they're specifically stated to be shiny (like the aforementioned Hyaku Shiki and its CE expy, the Akatsuki) or otherwise have some other fancy armor schtick, they would be using a matte finish - especially with grunts.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Raikoh

I think it depends on the series. Just by eyeballing screencaps as well as making a few assumptions based on the universe (i.e. UC paint philosophies will remain relatively stable) I think I can guess a few of the styles.

UC paint, as seen in stuff like 08th MS Team or Unicorn, tends to favor more pragmatic styles. The colors will fade more over time, and seem to be matte for the most part. This is probably what I'd say applies to most of the alternate universes as well.
G Gundam is probably all up to personal preference, since stealth isn't really a huge factor for the Gundam fighters. I could see some suits using more conservative paints while others would be more flamboyant (i.e. Nether Gundam would use regular building paint whereas Zeus Gundam would be very shiny).
SEED seems to favor more glossy paints. Even the ZAKUs are really shiny. Note, however, that the suits in vanilla SEED aren't shiny for the most part (stuff like GINNs look more down-to-Earth), so it might be specific manufacturers, or an effect of Phase Shift (though that wouldn't explain the units in Destiny that don't have Phase Shift and are still glossy).
00 is... Odd. Season 1 grunts are pretty clearly painted with matte (aside from maybe the Enacts, but they're only semi-glossy at best), whereas the Gundams are all very shiny - even on their painted bits. Units like the GN-X, Aheads, and the Masurao/Susanowo are also a bit more glossy... Suggesting it has something to do with GN Drives, maybe?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Den

pretty good answer! thanks guys! and yeah i think i have noticed in some gundams series forgot what though that they even animate the shiny paint by giving it like the shiny star animation thing hahaha.
MythSearcher

Den wrote:pretty good answer! thanks guys! and yeah i think i have noticed in some gundams series forgot what though that they even animate the shiny paint by giving it like the shiny star animation thing hahaha.
Even if the military gave them shiny, the pilots in a more real life setting will(and should, if they don't have a death wish) put mud on the suit to make it very dull very quickly.

The 00 series might be simply the GN particles running over the suit. The Gundams do have optical camoflauge, so it is not really that important what paint they are using.

BTW, a semi-gloss is already much much better than shiny, given quite a lot of things in nature is not shiny but are also not really completely matte, our eyes react to semi-gloss much more differently than a shiny surface.
Den

i guess the suits in seed would also have shiny colors due to the phase shift? haha
SonicSP

00 series uses nanomachines to paint their suits for the most part. Both AEU and Union does this and I've heard E08 mentioned once that 00N noted that the HRL does not follow this trend. In the case of the Shell Flag, it can switch its color on the fly using thee nanomachines to match the environment it's in for stealth purposes. I think it has a few pre-set patterns, at least for the Shell Flag.

The Over Flags may be a possible exception for the Union though, since it's 1/100 manual mentioned that it's black appearance is due to its anti beam coating.

The GN-X series are also confirmed to use it since 00N uses an old crashed GN-X as an example once. It was 50 years post series and it turned grey because all the nanomachines dropped off (I presume it's post first generation GN-X, since the first generation was all rollout grey color). Presumably Celestial Being uses one too since it's pretty common, and of course because of their MSV machines use very different colors from the base version.