Overall height vs. Head Height

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
doghunter1

Overall height vs. Head Height

Seriously, what's the difference? I mean, let's look at the RX-78-2 Gundam's dimensions:

Head height: 18.0 meters

Overall height: 18.5 meters
battletech

Re: Overall height vs. Head Height

I think that extra .5 is either the beam saber tips or the V fin on the head.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Raikoh

I think it's taking into account the beam saber tip, since the GM's overall height is the same as the Gundam's, and the overall height is different than the head height.

It also accounts for head accessories, since the Zaku II Commander has an overall height and head height, while the regular Zaku II just has a head height.

So the head height is the distance from the feet to the top of the head, whereas the overall height is the height of the unit with its various accessories (another common example are units that have big extensions out of their back for a Mobile Armor transformation like the Methuss or ReZEL). However it does NOT account for the Nu Gundam's Fin Funnels for some reason.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
AmuroNT1

I've always been a little curious as to whether head height includes the "mohawk" cameras present on so many Gundams or if it only measures to what would be the cranium on a human being.

Either way, as has been said, head height discounts things like antennae, backpacks, and other accouterments.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
doghunter1

Restarting this to ask this: What about the Guntank? What gives its overall height of 15.6m?
Raikoh

The Guntank's head height is 15m, so I'd assume that it would be the little antenna things on its head that contribute to its overall height.

That might actually help explain why the Fin Funnels aren't used for the Nu Gundam's overall height, actually. The change in height is so minute that there's no way they could be using the Guntank's cannons for the height. I guess why would they, since the cannons swivel up and down and would make the overall height be a variable number without much meaning. That might mean overall height only takes into account fixed, unmovable accessories.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE