The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gelgoog Jager

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

Deathzealot wrote:Why the heck do the Dolos carry extra ships like that? The reason why the Infinity does is that it is faster at FTL then anything else the UNSC has. Or so I am told. Therefore why in the world would it carry ships like that. I can understand having link ups so the Dolos class can help in refueling and resupply but complete ship docks. The heck?
Why not? The Dolos is sometimes described as basically a mobile fortress. It certainly is too slow to work effectively as part of a fleet, which is why it's considered to work best in a defensive role. Having it as a base for other ships and mobile weapons seems like a better option. Personally, considering its size, low mobility and high value (MS, supplies and in this case even ships), I think the Dolos would be one of the few ships that do could justify being equipped with an I-field if Zeon had decided to apply the technology to ships.

In a non-canon comparison, in the early Gihren's Greed games (Giren no Yabou in japanese), the Dolos are basically considered units that are almost impossible to sink, which can carry an absurd number of units, have powerful long range weapons and are basically the only unit capable of carrying Big Zam (itself also considered a superweapon with insane firepower and range, extremely high durability, but limited by its mobility and resource consumption per attack).
toysdream

The Origin version of the Dolos seems to be about ten times bigger than the anime one. I wonder which approach they'll take with the animated Origin. :-)

-- Mark
balofo

That must have consumed some resources...

http://imgur.com/ImORcVX
Deacon Blues

Yet despite it's size...
Spoiler
All it took was one small Chivvay to bring it down... 0_o;
toysdream

Well, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to pin the defense of the Zeon homeland on a giant balloon. :-)

-- Mark
BrentD15

balofo wrote:That must have consumed some resources...

ZOINKS, that thing is XBox HUEG!
Also, a couple of things:
1.) Is than an SD Rewloola? :lol:
2.) I have to know from where you get that artwork.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deathzealot

Woah. That's huge. It is kind of like a mobile fortress instead of a large carrier then.
Gelgoog Jager

I thinks the catapults are used to dock ships rather than deploy MS given its size.
balofo

Gelgoog Jager wrote:

I thinks the catapults are used to dock ships rather than deploy MS given its size.
Yep, we see a Musai launching from the Origin Dolos
Deathzealot

Woah! What is with that Super-"Musai". And a second Magellan?
BrentD15

Deathzealot wrote:Woah! What is with that Super-"Musai". And a second Magellan?
Those must be Char Aznable's and General Revil's flagships, respectively. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deacon Blues

Man, we've got some kick ass updates to the Magellan and Musai on the Gundam the Origin website! I'm digging these new designs!

I'll add more later:

PRINCIPALITY OF ZEON
MUSAI-CLASS LIGHT CRUISER
EARLY PRODUCTION TYPE IWO JIMA

Overall Length: 230.1m
Overall Height: 95.6m
Overall Width: 137.1m

A mass production type light cruiser that plays an active role as the main forces of the Principality of Zeon's space fleet. Development moved forward in secret as the Arcana-class, a private space cargo passenger ship with the premise of military use for the start of the war for independence. During the war it would be remodeled and thrown into the front lines. The ship has the ability to hold six mobile suits, two in the Komusai hanger and four in the main body of the ship. This ship was deployed to the front lines during the Battle of Loum. For its main battery, three sets of twin barrel mega particle cannons with machine guns to respond to attacks from the rear. At the front of the hull is a small craft known as the Komusai for atmospheric reentry.
Deathzealot

So that is the Falmel then? Looks a lot better then the dinky helmet-like bridge.
Deacon Blues

No, Dozle's ship is known as the Valkyrie. I'll translate that later unless someone beats me to it...
Deathzealot

Heh. The Ananke sports an extra beam turret, and is it just me or the Origin Magellan sporting a different turret layout then the regular one.
gunform1010

Good God, I never thought it would happen, but we have the High Mobility Zakus of the Tri-Stars!
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Dendrobium Stamen

Deathzealot wrote:Heh. The Ananke sports an extra beam turret, and is it just me or the Origin Magellan sporting a different turret layout then the regular one.
I'm a bit disappointed with the animated Origin redesign; this version of the Magellan has been stripped of most of its main armament, compared to previous versions.

While I'm sure the animation will show that the remaining pair of main turrets still pack a wallop in a straight fleet battle, it's really had its battleship-grade firepower whittled down.

Time to grab my copies of The Origin, see if this is brought directly across from the manga...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
toysdream

For a while there, Gundam Ace was running a series of micro-detailed analyses of The Origin's mecha design, including every little variation of turret and bolt placement. I think the animation is pushing it further, though - as well as having a customized bridge and a bunch of extra fins, Dozle's flagship Valkyrie is now a scaled-up "super-Musai" with unique detailing all over. Likewise, the extra turret which distinguishes Revil's flagship Ananke seems to be unique to the anime.

It's interesting that the specs for this series are so different from previous ones - until now, Sunrise works like Gundam 0083 and MS Igloo were pretty consistent about the sizes of the vehicles. There are a few consistencies here - the Type 61 tank has the same overall length as in MS Igloo, the Musai is still 230 meters long - but everything else is changed a little bit. I'm not sure if this is intended to be some kind of retcon, or new setting valid only within The Origin in order to stay faithful to the manga. Continuity wars ahoy!

-- Mark
Deathzealot

Actually Stamen, yeah the Magellan only has what looks to be two large turrets up front but it also a few what look to be medium turrets where the other main turrets would be on a canon Magellan Class. I call them medium due to them being smaller then the main guns, but larger then those on say a Salamis Class. Or it could be a matter of perspective too.