Gihren's Greed Mecha Revisited

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Xenosynth

Gihren's Greed Mecha Revisited

((If any mod feels this would be better either combined with the old thread, or moved into the 'games' thread, then I understand, and sorry for the mix-up ^^; It was hard deciding whether, since this was focused mostly on the in game mecha, if it fit in that section, or, since it's primarily game footage, if it belonged in the 'games' section.))

Since I finally unlocked the Original Scenario mode (Which allows me some freedom and configuration over my army, such as being able to start with crazy high level units), as well as being able to get some videos from the game, I thought it might be good to revisit this rather large old game series.

On the mecha front, a few new interesting tidbits I pulled from the game:

Zeong High Mobility Psycommu Attack, featuring something I somehow didn't notice, apparently the binders have Plasma Leaders in them.

MS-06C with the nuclear bazooka in both ground and space. I'm surprised that the small shoulder shield can take the shockwave on the ground, but then again, IIRC, the C Type is supposed to have some kind of armor that can resist radiation and strength to resist the shockwave, right?

And finally, a video of the Burstliner in action.

So yeah, just a couple of new things really. Burstliner having that exposed 'charge' thing on the side, the nuclear bazooka in use, and the High Mobility Zeong.

((I also managed to rip the videos from both the Zeon Dokuritsu game disc, and the Bonus Disc that had cutscenes from the original Saturn/PSX game. However, they lack audio at the moment, so I have to see if there is a way to fix that, I'm not used to working with strange file formats and video/audio >.> The main disc has 40 full animation videos, and the bonus disc has 85 fully animated ones, so yeah. Lots to work with, most have been uploaded to youtube, but some have a few new neat things in them that I've not seen before.))

If anyone has any requests for certain mecha/weapons to be recorded, I can do all that now properly.
Massignifico

Re: Gihren's Greed Mecha Revisited

Very cool finds.

Related to this, I played Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui and here Guncannon Heavyarms has beam cannons (it makes no sense, Guncannon II should be the upgrade that uses the beam cannon, Heavyarms has standard cannons with extra ammo) plus Heavy Gundam's cannon is a beam one (dunno here).

It is the same in other games?
AmuroNT1

They've always shown that the Guncannon Heavy Arms had a beam cannon as an optional piece of equipment.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Xenosynth

In this game, the Guncannon Heavy Arms Type uses solid, I'm pretty sure, but yeah, a lot of works show the beam cannons as well, much like the Mudrock, which sometimes also gets beam cannons in a few games (Most notably, SD Gundam G Gen).

I'll have to recheck though. I'll edit this post when I can, I'm away from home right now so yeah >.>;
AmuroNT1

Mudrock's case was apparently explained in the Zeonic Front novel, where it was said that beam cannons were the intended weapon, but for some reason (IIRC they couldn't work out a functional cooling system) it didn't work, so they went with shell-firing cannons.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Massignifico

Yeah but optional piece of equipment =/= standard solid cannons firing beams. It looks more like an error or they wanted it to fire beams for game reasons
Xenosynth

Well, while they may look solid, they still might be beam cannons. The FA-78-2, at least in this game, has the exact same shoulder cannon as the FA-78-1 in terms of appearance, however, it fires beams from its cannons in every appearance as I've seen, and every profile of it I've seen also says this, so yeah. The appearance of the Guncannon II's cannons might be more beam-like, but regardless, the Guncannon Heavy Arms type could still have optional beam cannons that look like its solid ones.
Massignifico

But is especially strange because the Guncannon II is said to be lighter cause it has no solid cannons and ammo so it mounts a single beam cannon and targeting system. It makes no sense that its precedessor can mount even double beam cannons without problem, and those double cannons having less power than a single one.

I think is a more a gameplay reason similiar to Core Booster II's gatling being more powerful than Core Booster's beam guns cause it has a II in the name.
halo1000

((I also managed to rip the videos from both the Zeon Dokuritsu game disc, and the Bonus Disc that had cutscenes from the original Saturn/PSX game. However, they lack audio at the moment, so I have to see if there is a way to fix that, I'm not used to working with strange file formats and video/audio >.> The main disc has 40 full animation videos, and the bonus disc has 85 fully animated ones, so yeah.
I'll be very interested in those, I love animated side story stuff.
Xenosynth

Alright, I'll try to get them ripped with audio properly. However, if I can't get the audio, would you still be interested in the video clips? I can tell you the context for the video as well as the title, and some of them have some pretty cool bits even without the sound.
halo1000

No audio is fine too.