改/Kai/Custom?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Xenosynth

改/Kai/Custom?

I had a question in relation to translation. Kai (改) is usually translated into Kai when I see it, with units such as the Gerbera Tetra Kai, Hyaku Shiki Kai, and the GM Kai, and I know it technically means modified. Which is fine because it still gets the point across, but I am curious as to when Kai officially becomes translated into 'custom'? Units such as the Zaku III 改 and the Efreet 改 both use custom as their official names it seems, over 'kai.' However, for the GM Custom, from what I've seen, the GM Custom usually doesn't use '改' in its name, rather just 'カスタム'.

Basically, what differentiates between translations of 改 into 'Custom' or simply 'Kai', and is there any reason why certain units use カスタム instead of 改? Is it just that the Zaku III and Efreet Customs are made in single units that are custom tailored to their pilots?
Kuruni

Re: 改/Kai/Custom?

Long ago, I remember people translate kai as "modified".
My girlfriend was a loli.
toysdream

Yeah, "Custom" is a mistranslation that they seem inexplicably fond of on the Japan side. Basically, they tend to mistranslate everything as "Custom", including 改 and 専用 (which literally means "exclusive use", as in mobile armors exclusively for Newtypes and Zakus exclusively for Char). I think they simply don't understand what the English word "custom" actually means. :-)

Most of the ships and mobile suits designated as 改 are improved mass production types, not unique variants. You could think of it as something like "revised" or "modified" or "improved" or "plus", but mostly it's best to just ignore it and employ circumlocutions like "GM Type C" and "Zaku FZ".

-- Mark
Zeonista

Kuruni wrote:Long ago, I remember people translate kai as "modified".
It does mean that, in the sense of "modified/altered (in a positive sense) from the original". The actual use of the term is to state that the item in question is not as originally designed or issued. (Damn paper pushers, have to put a different label on everything. I speak from much work experience here. :D ) In context, and context means a lot in Japanese language, it can mean an official upgrade to an existing model, a field upgrade to an existing model, a "kitbashed" modification to an existing model, or a special personal version of an existing model. Are you confused yet? :P

This descriptive over-labeling is one of the inadequacies in using the kanji-based written language for technical writing, and it can't be easily dismissed. English is much better in determining individual specifications, which is why the Japanese have borrowed many English loan-words for detailing. As Mark has explained above though, the way the loan words are used may not be what the word originally meant either! (See the Inigo Montoya quote for a tongue in cheek summary. :P )

For my own preferences I use "kai" for an approved upgrade of an existing MS for general use. "Custom" is for a personal or mission-specific upgrade. "Exclusive" means only that named pilot gets to use it, and any unauthorized use will be punished!
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Calubin_175

In the Zaku III and Efreet case, their modification was more customised for a single pilot. So the English translation they adopted actually clarified it.

The Gundam franchise didn't get many custom MS(of standard issue MS) early on, only custom paint jobs. It was until Gundam 00 and Advance of Zeta 2 where they had actual custom machines.
AmuroNT1

I could be wrong, but I'd always imagined that ace pilots' MS had little tweaks to performance, operation, etc. to suit the individual pilot - like for instance Graham's Flag being left-handed. So in a way the "X's Custom Mobile Suit" label isn't totally wrong.

On the other hand, it's faster and just as accurate to simply say "X's Mobile Suit". :P
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

The Japanese term 専用 ("exclusive use"), which is what they normally use for things like Char's Zaku, isn't a good equivalent to "custom" either. Aside from personalized mobile suits, it's also used for things like unique mobile suit weapons and Newtype-only machines, which is how we get stupid translations like "custom beam rifle" and "mobile suit customized for Newtype".

The latter of these was the original description for the Sinanju. It doesn't mean that the Sinanju was originally designed for non-Newtypes, and later remodeled for Newtypes; it means that the Japanese writers are irrationally fond of the English word "custom" and have no idea what it actually means.

Technically, the closest Japanese equivalent to "custom" would probably be 改造 ("remodeled" or "reconstructed"), which is the term used to describe custom cars (as per Wikipedia). Since I have a bunch of Japanese text excerpts on my computer, I've done a quick search for uses of this precise term. Some examples:

Entertainment Bible 1 uses this term to describe the conversion of MS-06C units into prototype MS-06M units. It also comes up in the discussion of the second-stage types produced by the United Maintenance Plan, where we're told that the MS-06FZ was created by remodeling (customizing) existing machines. The notion that the FZ type was created by applying the equivalent of a custom car kit to existing Zaku II units is actually the best justification I've heard for calling the FZ a "Zaku Custom".

Entertainment Bible 2 uses this term to describe the "custom-made" machines used by Neo Zeon officers, which were created by modifying leftover prototypes (in the case of the Hamma-Hamma and R-Jarja) or customizing a mass production unit (as with the Zaku III Kai).

G Generation F uses this term to describe the conversion of the Lunatank into the Adzam, the relationship of the Hizack Custom to the standard Hizack, and the relationship of the Dowadge Kai to the Dowadge. It's also used for the Gundam Ez8 Heavy Arms and High Mobility Customs.

The Gundam Collection series also uses this term to describe the Gaz-R and Gaz-L, the ZZ version of the Desert Zaku, the Powered GM, and the Efreet Custom.

So in general, it seems like we have two types of machines that can be legitimately described as "custom" - handmade prototypes based on existing machines, and upgraded units created by applying what amounts to a customization kit to a standard mobile suit.

-- Mark
Last edited by toysdream on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon Blues

I think the only correct translation for "kai" thus far has been for the 0083 ships where they use the term "refit". Although it is amusing to note that in the original lineart sheets for the series, neither the Magellan or Salamis parts have "kai" attached to their names.
Raikoh

I usually just use whatever the original Japanese said, for simplicity's sake. For example, I use Kai when it's in the upgrades of Heavyarms and Sandrock, Custom for things like the GM Sniper Custom, and if a unit is designated as a "special" custom (like Char's multiple red units) I would just say, for example, "Z'Gok Char Custom."

One thing I find confusing is the Crossbone X-1. X-1 Kai only has removed the logo on its chest and added the Screw Whips. X-1 Kai Kai (Skull Heart) has added the Peacock Smasher and the skull on its chest. But is that really enough to constitute a new model configuration? The only changes are in handheld weapons, not inbuilt ones, and in some slight modifications to the aesthetics. Yet the Full Cloth is technically considered to be the same as the Skull Heart, despite being a gestalt of all three Crossbones and thus actually a different frame from the Skull Heart.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
AmuroNT1

It's kind of odd that SD Gundam Online uses the term 改良型 "improved type" in the names of units originally described with simply "Kai" - including machines such as the Zaku FZ, Hyaku-Shiki Kai, and the upgraded Crossbone Gundams, Heavyarms, and Sandrock.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Xenosynth

Thanks for the all the replies! It was really helpful. I like the idea of the 'refit' translation, though that might just be my inner Trekkie speaking. Modified, refit, etc, all seem more suitable than 'custom' or even 'kai' (mostly because it's a bit weird if you don't know Japanese, and as we've seen, can still be confusing).

As much a pain it would be, it sometimes seems like it'd be so much easier to just clean slate and rename everything again, but the spellings and names are now so common in different works that it might be an even bigger pain to do that. (And as we've seen, some people will still eternally hang onto the archaic translations, like 'Jion' and such anyway.)

Universal Renaming Plan, we really need it. But I guess for now we'll deal with our mismatched, english names.

Anyway, again, thank you all for the clarification!
Last edited by Xenosynth on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MythSearcher

toysdream wrote:Yeah, "Custom" is a mistranslation that they seem inexplicably fond of on the Japan side. Basically, they tend to mistranslate everything as "Custom", including 改 and 専用 (which literally means "exclusive use", as in mobile armors exclusively for Newtypes and Zakus exclusively for Char). I think they simply don't understand what the English word "custom" actually means. :-)

Most of the ships and mobile suits designated as 改 are improved mass production types, not unique variants. You could think of it as something like "revised" or "modified" or "improved" or "plus", but mostly it's best to just ignore it and employ circumlocutions like "GM Type C" and "Zaku FZ".

-- Mark
I think they are thinking more in terms of the line "custom built for XX" when they are translating XX專用.
not saying its correct, but this is more like what they are thinking of when using the term "custom".
YokozunaBulldozer

I prefer enhanced, customized, modified, souped up, or jacked up.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Erisie

The term "kai" (改) is also used in real life equipment.
Heaven Piercing Man

Erisie wrote:The term "kai" (改) is also used in real life equipment.
Or hell, the Shiden Kai.
doghunter1

Half off-topic, but I need help here. You see, for my Infinite Stratos fanfic Senjou no Kodoku na Shounen (see it here, here, and here), one Ashigaru (the Scopedog + Zaku of the fic) has a variant called the KH-02FGK Ashigaru Nishiki Fukusu Gunbi Kai, and I thought "kai" is "custom," but according to Mark, it is wrong. So what does "kai" mean in English then?
AmuroNT1

Direct quote from the Japanese word processing program NJStar: "reformation; change; modify; mend; renew; examine; inspect; search".

doghunter1

AmuroNT1 wrote:
Direct quote from the Japanese word processing program NJStar: "reformation; change; modify; mend; renew; examine; inspect; search".
Thanks