The original/non-cone GN drive on the Astraea?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Vixy

The original/non-cone GN drive on the Astraea?

1st off I'm so sorry if this is not the place or way to ask this question.

At one time I remember there was something special about the original/non-cone gn drive on the Astraea? Am I remembering wrong or just more crazy than normal.

Thank you for your time and any help you can provide.
SonicSP

Re: The original/non-cone GN drive on the Astraea?

-It's a new drive propulsion type that Celestial Being was testing out. Relative to 0 Gundam's cone, it has a higher output performance but is more unstable. (00P)

- The second generation Gundams like Astraea do not use the cone system because it badly affects their balance. (00P) I'm not sure why this is the case but such has been noted. I also do not know why Exia and Dynames reverted to the cone design (especially considering how similar in structure Astraea a d Exia are) but perhaps they've improved of modified it.

- The three point system sort of found its successor in 00 Gundam's cone, which is actually a hybrid of the cone design and the three-point. (PG 00 Raiser kit manual)
E08

Just to add more about the non-cone design, it not only has a higher output but can also bring out the maximum performance of the GN Drive. In return, it places high stress on the GN Drive and hence the unstability. The high stress is a problem as there are only a limited number of GN Drives. Basically, although the non-cone design is good performance wise, CB is more concerned about it breaking the GN Drive.

The cone design used by Exia and Dynames is a newly developed version. It has both stability and powerful propulsion capability. The balance issue that surfaced when Astreae was fitted with the new cone design was because the suit was never designed to accept such a system. Sure the external appearance between Astreae and Exia may be quite similar, but we do not know much about their internal design.
MythSearcher

According the PG 00's manual, the GN drive is not the cone.
The cone is only a GN thruster(or tri-thruster, it is three thrusters instead of 1)
And a smaller puck-shaped thing inside is the real GN drive.
Dark Duel

In the case of 00, yes.
For all prior GNY- and GN-series unit, the GN Drive is a big cylindrical doohickey that takes up most of the inside of the torso. See in the series when one of the Meisters(Tieria?) ejected his machine's GN Drive - or the MG Exiathe one oddity is Plutone, but IIRC it has its GN Drive installed in the Core Fighter.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

MythSearcher wrote:According the PG 00's manual, the GN drive is not the cone.
The cone is only a GN thruster(or tri-thruster, it is three thrusters instead of 1)
And a smaller puck-shaped thing inside is the real GN drive.
Personally I don't recall seeing (and she did translate the GN Drive section) that in mike_s_6's translation of the manual and she would have translated something like that seeing how she did one of all the mechanical sections of that manual. That only applies up to 3rd Generation Gundamd and are no longer standard afterwards.

The definition of a "GN Drive" is fairly complicated but as mentioned in the post above, the cone is considered part of the "GN Drive chassis" in 00 Gundam. Probably the only "permanent" part of what constitute the core GN Drive is either the TD Blanket or TD Blanket+GN Generation Furnace.

The reason why I say definition of a GN Drive is complicated is because most of the physical parts have been changed on at least one occasion yet they are still considered to be the same drive. The best example of this would be for the purposes of the Twin Drive synching. All 5 of the initial Original Drive set had been tested on 00 Gundam at one point it another yet they retained the same synching qualities even while being 00's small cones. Being 00 cones also means having a lot of the original part from the large cylindrical chassis removed.

And then there's some statements like from the HG 00 Gundam manual which I believe had statements like the 3rd Generation Gundams having their GN Drives on the back. I think there's more sources that say or at least describe the back output devices as "GN Drives", despite the fact that we know that they don't actually contain the important chassis that contains the core components, which for the 3rd Generations/Season 1 Gundams and prior used the large cylindrical chest chassis.

This leads me to believe that "GN Drive" system comprise of extensions, stabalizers and output devices that at some place in the system contains the actual "core" components acting as vital non-replaceable parts. Certain items like Astraea and Exia's cones act as peripherals that directly connect to the main chassis and are defined as part of the "GN Drive" system, which is why the text defines them as such even when they don't contain non-replaceable core components. As E08's translation mentioned for example, Astraea's triple point device is stronger but may even destroy the GN Drive in a worse case scenario due to lower stability. All these devices, even if they are not core components, improve things and are needed for respectable performance. Most likely the core components are only there to contain the topological defects and the other peripheral devices are there to get as much from it as possible while keeping things stable. In other words, important to the functions even if not irreplaceable.

My guess is that anything that is "close" or interlinked enough with the core component and affects it in some way is defined as part of the "GN Drive System". The miniaturization of the peripheral devices allowed them to contain most of them into a small package alongside the core components. In this sense, you are right that the cone is not the GN Drive core but it would be part of GN Drive System as defined in this post.
MythSearcher

Well, the easiest way to answer the question is that the cone is only the thrusters that propels the GN particles, the drive that generates power and GN particles as a biproduct is the puck, or GN Generation Furnace, inside, so yes, you can look at the whole thing as the GN drive, but the thruster part is interchangeable.
SonicSP

MythSearcher wrote:Well, the easiest way to answer the question is that the cone is only the thrusters that propels the GN particles, the drive that generates power and GN particles as a biproduct is the puck, or GN Generation Furnace, inside, so yes, you can look at the whole thing as the GN drive, but the thruster part is interchangeable.
There definitely appears to be some disconnect between thrusters and the core components though (referring to chassis that have them both in one package). Reborns for example was able to use its cone thrusters in S2-25 even though its GN Drive Taus are destroyed because of Trans Am.

I think it's more than just the thrusters however, they appears to be other things that are apparently interchangeable as well. The giant cylinder in the chest for example is pretty big but given by the schematics we know of 00's cone, the core components of the drive are pretty small since we can safely presume no miniaturization mods to the core components. That means that a lot of things in the cylinder or puck got taken out too and are interchangeable like the thrusters.

There's some hints that peripheral devices can actually increase the particle production rates of GN Drives. We know from the 2nd Mechanics book that Season 2 Original Drives have a higher particle production rate than Season 1 Original Drives so likely the improvements came for peripherals that help the core components perform better since those are the main changes. It's quite likely then that the core components' main jobs are only to facilitate basic reactions and storage of the topological defects while other parts take and amplify that.

It would be nice if he had the internal schematics of the cylinder chassis just like we do for 00's cone chassis. That way we can compare and contrast the parts and see what was taken out specifically.