Discarded MS of Ace Pilots

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
halo1000

Discarded MS of Ace Pilots

I've been wondering lately what happens to various MS that find themselves no longer used by various ace pilots once they upgrade to more advanced units. Examples that spring to mind are the custom Zaku's of Dozle Zabi, Shin Matsunaga, Johnny Ridden etc...

Would they be stripped for spare parts, shipped out with retreating Zeon forces or sit in storage until discovered by federation forces and then destroyed?
Massignifico

Re: Discarded MS of Ace Pilots

Shin Matsunaga's Zaku was destroyed at Solomon by the federation after the battle. In another thread someone mentioned that Garma's Zaku was used by another pilot in Federetion Hooligans manga and in CDA Char and other 2 pilots used Tristar's High Mobility Zakus
PowerdGNFlag

I'd assume that at least some of them would pop up in the mobile suit museums that we see somewhat frequently (eg. Hickory in Zeta, the one in Frontier Side in F91, and the one in Zum City as seen in Crossbone Ghost).
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
halo1000

Interesting, I hadn't even thought of the tri-star zaku's, I forgot they used several suits before their Doms. As for Garma's Zaku, I assume it survives seeing as it apparently ends up in a museum by 0090. I had wondered about Cima Garahau's Gelgoog, but I assume it was destroyed along with the Lili Marlene.
Massignifico

If we count AU there is Age with Woolf's Genoace Custom, it goes to storage but it could have been useful for Largan to use (they were in desperate need of MSs after all). This seems to be the fate of a lot of Ace customs, we don't see what's the fate of Delaz's Dom Funf either, some pilot could have used it instead of a Zaku F2 or Dra-C. Maybe they get discarded cause they are good only for ace pilots and not grunts who may prefer simple machines with lots of spare parts.
HalfDemonInuyasha

I'd guess it would depend on various things, like how each side works, what their situations are, who got their hands on them, and whatnot.

Like with Zeon, at least if the ace pilot died, I'd guess that at first they'd try to preserve the MS of the ace pilots and use them for propaganda pieces or something to keep up morale, but later on, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up scrapping a number of them for spare parts or something due to their desperate position.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Dark Duel

Massignifico wrote:If we count AU there is Age with Woolf's Genoace Custom, it goes to storage but it could have been useful for Largan to use
Largan seemed to do just fine with his own Genoace, IMO. And by the way, the Genoace II (One of which was piloted by Largan in Memories of Sid) would like a word with you.

Since I mention the Genoace II, was there another instance of an Ace Custom variant being mass-produced like the Genoace Custom and Genoace II?
I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Massignifico

He did fine but he could do better, IMO. If the Custom is crearly a better machine why not give it to him? I think this is never explained (maybe Woolf doesn't purchase MSs from Madorna but simply borrow them?).

There is Graham's custom flag later mass produced as Overflag.
Raikoh

It's possible that the same things that made the Genoace Custom have higher performance might have also required a more advanced piloting style. For example, having more sensitive handling would allow more precise movements but it would be harder to control, or having higher output on the beam rifle/saber would also be a bigger drain on the battery.

Sometimes they do hand down their units to other characters after the upgrade appears, such as in Zeta, ZZ, Seed, or X. But in that case it also might ask the question of, for example, "What happened to the leftover Rick Diases?" Not sure about what goes on in the enemy ranks, though. Sometimes the units get shot down (I think Jerid had this happen often?) but usually I've seen Aces stick with one unit to the end.

Some of the more interesting ones I can think of:
- 00. Graham's Flag constantly moved in and out of the shop as he moved to the Ahead and later got it upgraded to the Masurao and finally the Susanowo.
- X. The Frost Brothers had their Gundams straight upgraded.
- G. The Kowloon Gundam TRANSFORMED into the Master Gundam if memory serves. Somehow.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
HalfDemonInuyasha

Raikoh wrote:Some of the more interesting ones I can think of:
- 00. Graham's Flag constantly moved in and out of the shop as he moved to the Ahead and later got it upgraded to the Masurao and finally the Susanowo.
- X. The Frost Brothers had their Gundams straight upgraded.
- G. The Kowloon Gundam TRANSFORMED into the Master Gundam if memory serves. Somehow.
I only wish X wasn't cut so short since, with the Virsago Chest Break and Ashtaron Hermit Crab's appearance, they just appear at the end of an episode, IIRC, with no real transition episode or previous episode showing them getting royally owned by the Double X (only their pawns) and/or the Leopard Destroy and/or Airmaster Burst.

I can only guess that the Master Gundam came about from the Devil Gundam much like the Heaven's Sword, Grand, and Walter Gundams.

Char's Deleted Affair also had Char piloting his custom Gelgoog that seemed to be further modified in the meantime with what seemed like Gelgoog Marine parts or something.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet