Ground speed of post OYW Mobile suits?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Nebfer

Ground speed of post OYW Mobile suits?

Most OYW Mobile suits have Ground speeds listed, however post that these have been left off. Is their any info on how fast they could get after the OYW?

While direct statements are likely few and far between, what about animation based evidence?
Would say a Jegan be faster than a Dom (in hover mode) for instance?
HalfDemonInuyasha

Re: Ground speed of post OYW Mobile suits?

In terms of pure running speed, it doesn't look like MS have really made any sort of huge leaps and bounds, though the down-sized MS of the F91 and Victory eras would probably be slightly faster due to much less weight. Otherwise, most MS tend to have the thruster power to be able to hover (like we see in the Zeta/ZZ era), have some kind of support flight system like sleds, a transformation system (Zeta, various Zanscare MS), the beam rotor system from Zanscare, and such to get around easier.

I doubt a Jegan or any (UC era) MS that's running normally would be able to keep up with a nearly 150 mph hovering Dom or similar MS at all. The Jegan would probably have to jump and/or boost forward in order to catch it.

Otherwise, differences would probably come down to hovering and/or jumping distances, which would probably be better due to more powerful thrusters, less overall weight, and more streamlined bodies as time goes on.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Zeonista

Re: Ground speed of post OYW Mobile suits?

Very little progress has been made in that front, although as the MS get lighter and get more powerful power plants, their running speed should have a theoretical boost, to say the least. The big question to follow your topic question should be, why should it matter?

The first 4 episodes of Stardust Memory is the last story element in the UC timeline to show MS actually depending on their feet as a primary ground movement option. After that, MS tech takes a big forward step. Many MS of the Gryps War & first Neo-Zeon war (0087-89) have enough thrust to hover and impersonate a Dom by skimming along the ground. Merely running along is not as good as hover-skimming though. Considering that the Dom Tropen could leave helicopters eating its dust in open ground (360kph/225 mph :shock: ), and still remain a steady gun platform, it's hard to downplay that as a movement option rather than bouncing along from step to step at 40 mph or so. :P

Another factor that makes running ground speed less of an issue is the increased use of flight platforms (or in one case, giant wheels) and transforming designs. Earthside MS simply fly to the scene of the fight, and then bounce or skim around. Once on the battlefield, actual running takes a back seat, either because the MS is too old to do otherwise, is defending a base, has lost its flight platform, or its pilot is wary about zooming into the enemy's LOS too soon, Gundam Unicorn and Victory Gundam have examples of all of those exceptions.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde