MS Catalog

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
AmuroNT1

Re: MS Catalog

toysdream wrote:It would also be nice to get some kind of definitive word on what the big barrels on the hyper mega shield are supposed to be. The armaments list on the box cover implies they're mega particle cannons...

-- Mark
If it matters, Another Century's Episode 3 did indeed depict those barrels as beam cannons. However, they were shown to be spread beam cannons, with the individual beams having a degree of homing properties - I don't think this is a reflection of the official specs so much as Banpresto wanting to give the Nu HWS as "multi-shot" weapon (one that launches a cluster of auto-targeting projectiles, like the ReGZ's grenade launchers or Heavyarms' micromissiles).
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

Hyper mega shield barrels are answered by the HGUC manual, they are large bore mega particle cannons with power comparable to the High Mega Cannon, but can't fire in succession due to the limited condenser/energy cap system.

Unless this explanation isn't canon for you guys :)
toysdream

They were described as rocket launchers in the GFF toy, but if the HGUC and MG versions both say mega particle cannon, that's good enough for me!

-- Mark
balofo

toysdream wrote:They were described as rocket launchers in the GFF toy, but if the HGUC and MG versions both say mega particle cannon, that's good enough for me!

-- Mark
This is a curious part of when MSVs need to be described in detail for a gunpla release. See the ZII, Katoki added 2 Clay Bazookas and the Zeta Beam Rifle for the GFF so now they are canon with the advent of the HGUC.

I was planning to open a thread for the Dijeh SE-R, but I will post my research here sometime. It has a decent chance of appearing as either an HGUC(if the Dijeh appears in the line, since it's the same base model) or a RE/100(was part of the old B-Club resin line).
AmuroNT1

I'd be amused if the Dijeh SE-R merited a model kit. In terms of weapons, pretty much every game it's been in simply gives it the same loadout as the original Dijeh, though I note Super Robot Wars MX (its latest SRW appearance) had it using the Mk-II's beam rifle and hyper bazooka.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

toysdream

It was never clear to me why the Dijeh SE-R got lumped in with the Z-MSV series - it never appeared in B-CLUB, and just appeared suddenly in the first-edition MS Encyclopedia with no real context or back story. The name makes it seem like a leftover from Fujita's "Tyrant Sword" serial, which as it happens was also featured in the back pages of the original MS Encyclopedia.

-- Mark
balofo

toysdream wrote:It was never clear to me why the Dijeh SE-R got lumped in with the Z-MSV series - it never appeared in B-CLUB, and just appeared suddenly in the first-edition MS Encyclopedia with no real context or back story. The name makes it seem like a leftover from Fujita's "Tyrant Sword" serial, which as it happens was also featured in the back pages of the original MS Encyclopedia.

-- Mark
Yeah, also it seems the SE-R stands for some kind of system.

Regarding its weapons, SD Gundam games until Portable were very consistent with:
-Head 80mm Vulcan(kinda powerful, perhaps to capitalize on the fact that the ammo is not stored in the head but in the torso, being delivered by tubes which the SE-R retained from the base Dijeh)

-Beam Rifle with unique design
http://imgur.com/aezYK3H

-Clay Bazook with unique design
http://imgur.com/RRvSPDN

We can deduce the game makers had access to lineart stating the vulcan's caliber and the designs of its handheld weapons. Unless these are from Tyrant Sword, which I believe was never collected in volumes and is very rare to find.
AmuroNT1

That's not a unique clay bazooka tho, that's the standard model. Plus to my knowledge there's never been any kind of official weapons lists for the SE-R, which is why game devs like those at Banpresto just give it the same stuff as the original.

toysdream

Right, I've made my final round of tweaks to the Seed listings. Added specs for a few more bots, plus little things like the Blue Frame Third's knee launchers, various unlisted CIWS, adjusted the Regenerate's unconfirmed armaments (it seems like the vulcans on the lower body's "head," though shown in the rough sketches, didn't survive into the final design). I think that's a wrap; next up is Turn A (by popular demand) and I'll probably throw in Gundam Wing, Endless Waltz, and G-UNIT while I'm at it.

-- Mark
balofo

Was just waiting to point out the Regenerate lineart I analyzed was the rough draft one :)

Yes it only has 2x Vulcans, no Missiles(GPF calls them cameras and they do match the one on Core Unit's Head) and retains all the beam cannons(though the side leg ones now resemble more the vulcans on the torso/head module). Also in G Gen Portable the beam sabers are emitted from that beam whatever hole on the nails(I'm pointing this out because it doesn't seem feasible to fire a beam cannon from that muzzle since it has no angle and every beam saber in the CE universe is formed from a muzzle/hole, even the Aegis though gunpla depicts it wrongly being formed from the solid white blade, not the tip of the claws muzzles). Damn I love this design, would it be possible to hold all those appendages in gunpla form with that small connector?

Since Turn A is next I'm going to leave this Canon Ilefuto lineart here, I can only read beam saber on the shield, perhaps it says it can emit/house a beam saber there?

http://i.imgur.com/Mk0GBW0.jpg

Will you include in Wing things like RD additions like Tallgeese's Custom Beam Rifle and Leo's Large Beam Cannon? Wing seems pretty tame in comparison with the future Z stuff we're gonna tackle, even G-Unit just got detailed armament listings recently
toysdream

In general, I don't feel like Gundam Perfect File is that authoritative as a source - their research generally seems pretty shoddy and superficial, and when it comes to the Regenerate, I'm inclined to go with the designer's notations instead. (In any case, this is all in the "unconfirmed" category.)

As for the beam sabers, the Astray R comic also shows them as forming around the "nail". Until you pointed it out, I hadn't noticed that they made this change to the MG Aegis kit as well; it's long been noted that the Aegis's sabers are a different color to all other mobile suits except the Strike Dagger (yellow instead of pink), so it's conceivable they might use a different generation method. The muzzle barrels in the "nail" would presumably fire forward in MA form, like the ones in the calves, so the angle of fire seems reasonable for a beam gun.

As for Wing, let's see what I turn up in the research process. The G-UNIT specs in the latest MS Encyclopedia are all straight from the original kit manuals, albeit slightly mangled (or extremely mangled in the color section). It's nice to finally know where the Hydra Gundam keeps its beam sabers, though.

-- Mark
balofo

Cool, do the listings so we can discuss.

BTW does the Cannon Illefuto has a beam saber in the shield or no according to the scan I posted.
toysdream

Can't quite read the kanji in that scan, but it sure seems plausible.

Oh, and here's that scan with the Jenice weapons info:

http://ultimatemark.com/gundam/images/j ... eapons.jpg

-- Mark
balofo

toysdream wrote:Can't quite read the kanji in that scan, but it sure seems plausible.

Oh, and here's that scan with the Jenice weapons info:

http://ultimatemark.com/gundam/images/j ... eapons.jpg

-- Mark
THANKS A LOT! Gundam X 3D book has uncleaned lineart, nice to know.

You see, when they leave the linear notes our life is made easier
AmuroNT1

Well, since Wing is my thing, I might as well chip in a few of the things I've noticed over the years.

Leo: The big mystery with this guy has always been this weapon, which I at one point declared "After Colony's super napalm" because it ONLY appears in the original introduction narration (the one that runs from episodes 1-7). After almost 20 years with nothing to show, Bandai put this thing to plastic as part of Leo Option Set 3 for the Robot Spirits action figure line. The Premium Bandai website calls it a "large beam cannon" (大型ビーム砲), but I've seen some other solicitations label it a bazooka; this struck me as interesting, since I think you can kind of see a lineage with the Serpent's bazooka. On a related note, Leo Option Set 3 also refers to the beam rifle with extended barrel (seen in the same opening) as a "new model beam rifle" (新型ビームライフル).

Tragos: This under-represented little fella has his own "mystery weapon", a grease gun-looking machine gun seen primarily in Episode 11.

Tallgeese: Of course we have the missile pod Zechs uses all of once in Episode 33 (and made it into Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus), but the original opening also shows Tallgeese wielding a Leo-style beam rifle while fighting Wing in space. This is normally the sort of thing that'd just be written off as "it's the opening, they're just being stylish", but the Robot Spirits Tallgeese figure actually included this thing, so I guess it's worth a mention.

Maganac: This guy has an often seen but never acknowledged assault rifle (which even got lineart from Ishigaki); the MS Encyclopedia labels it a "large rifle" (大型ライフル), but I've always been iffy on their listings. As for specifics, Abdul's Maganac is said to wield a 180mm cannon; don't recall ever seeing it in the show, but G Generation simply has him pull out a Dobergun. I've been inclined to think what they meant was this arm-mounted device which the MS Encyclopedia simply calls a "rifle".

I'll add more later, but right now it's lunchtime. :P

balofo

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/AmuroNT ... 5.png.html

Appears in the anime destroying some shuttles in a early episode

-RD Tallgese OP only beam rifle is called 幻のライフル, LOL

If these obscure weapons made it on the RDs there should be at least rough sketches for them. I wish Katoki would just let UC go and restart that awesome column he had on the GOL and FT designs in Gundam Ace...
Wingnut

AmuroNT1 wrote:Tallgeese: Of course we have the missile pod Zechs uses all of once in Episode 33 (and made it into Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus)
Amusingly enough, much like how the Taurus "space laser" that is used in the final defense of Barge is a exact exterior model of the 90mm machine gun used by OVA era GMs, the Tallgeese's missile pod is virtually identical to the missile pods used by the Hizack with the main difference being 2 tubes per launcher instead of 3.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
balofo

After decades we finally know what are those barrels on the Nightingale's chest: Vulcans Cannons.

Also the Shied Missiles are officially Micromissiles. The model has the subarms mold but no functionality like holding Beam Sabers. Large Mega Beam Rifle with bipod. Beam Tomahawk has Beam Axe and Large Beam Saber functionality. The model also lacks the hidden chest MPC from the manga.

The Nightingale is now officially a MS with Newtype MA specs.

http://bandai-hobby.net/site/gunpla_re100/item.jpg

Manual in 2 weeks and it looks like it'll be HGUC tier.
AmuroNT1

This nice large image for the Hi-Nu Gundam HWS says that the high mega shield does indeed have mega particle cannons. Interestingly it also credits the machine with having a beam Gatling which, based off of the listing, seems to be part of the original Hi-Nu's weapons. Maybe that's what they're calling the arm machine gun in this iteration?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-esOkni_Nb9U/U ... 2576_o.jpg

balofo

AmuroNT1 wrote:This nice large image for the Hi-Nu Gundam HWS says that the high mega shield does indeed have mega particle cannons. Interestingly it also credits the machine with having a beam Gatling which, based off of the listing, seems to be part of the original Hi-Nu's weapons. Maybe that's what they're calling the arm machine gun in this iteration?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-esOkni_Nb9U/U ... 2576_o.jpg
Manga so far has used the old CCA-MSV Hi Nu design, so it's irrelevant for now. And the ver. KA arm Beam Gatling can generate a Beam Saber too.

Same case for manga Nightingale which has chest MPC and Sazabi's Beam Sabers, which are not mentioned in the RE/100.