MS Catalog

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
balofo

Re: MS Catalog

08th:
-Ground Gundam: Add Parachute Pack, Bazooka and 6-Tube Missile Launcher. I've seen the Bazooka also listed as Rocket Launcher and Bazooka Cannon/Gun. The HGUC lists Head Vulcan x2 but I think only the BD units have them.
-Ground GM: add 6-Tube Missile Launcher. Should be Bazooka instead of Rocket Launcher according to the HGUC manual
-EZ-8: It uses the 180mm Cannon in the new OVA
-GM Sniper: old HG has Bazooka and 6-Tube Missile Launcher, MG has 6-Tube Missile Launcher
-Ball K: shouldn't it be twin 180mm fifteen-caliber. I've seen Wire Launcher instead of Wire Winch
-Zaku II JC: add Multilauncher(antipersonnel ammo, smoke discharger)
-Gouf Custom: should list shield(75mm gatling)
-Gouf Flight: should list shield(75mm gatling)
-Apsaras II: Shiro mentions there antipersonnel weapon mounted on the hull while he's riding it, mentioned for the sake of trivia

0080:
-Cool that they listed the elusive Hyper Bazooka as an armament for the FA Alex
-All GM and Guncannon's vulcans are 60mm
-GM Sniper II: Sniper Rifle is 75mm
-Zaku FZ: should list as unconfirmed the vanilla Zaku Bazooka as it uses it in UC
-Rick Dom II: should be Beam Point as per old manual

Should I bother with Phantom Bullets and the Fukushi 0080 MSV?
AmuroNT1

Yeah, I've seen some sources refer to the Ground Gundam's rocket launcher as "ground-type bazooka".

As for the Ground Gundam's head vulcans, the old HG Gundam vs Zaku II model set included an optional vulcan pod and improved sensor pack that could be mounted on the head in place of the normal armor pieces.
Color pic: http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig01/10011168c.jpg
Manual ref: http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig01/10011168z1.jpg (sorry for poor quality, can't find better scans. But it's there near the middle of the left page, Part A22.)
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Xenosynth

Also on the model front for the Ground Gundam, there's the rail cannon that was included with the HG Ground War set. Unless this is the same design as the aforementioned ground-type bazooka?
balofo

That Rail Cannon comes from this MS http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/m-msv/rgm-79f.htm

Also the old HG for the 08th Goufs include the original 5 finger machinegun
AmuroNT1

Like Balofo says, the railcannon originates from Okawara's original Land Battle GM design. The kit that included the railcannon was the HGUC-Hard Graph Gundam Ground War Set, a slightly redeco'd HGUC Ground Gundam that also came with a Hovertruck, and a new head and hands for the old HG 08MST Ground Combat GM.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

toysdream

Okay, some revisions (plus continued tinkering with the specs format - I think it's a bit more readable now).

Gundam Ground Type: Added more weapons and parachute pack. The head vulcan, and the long-range communications pack, are indeed options included in the old 1/144 kit.

GM Ground Type: The HG-UC and MG kit manuals call the weapon a "hyper bazooka," but the MS Encyclopedia calls it a "rocket launcher," so I think I'll go with the latter for now. (Ditto for calling the Gouf Custom's weapon a "heat wire" rather than a "heat rod.")

GM Sniper: Even though they include extra weapons with the model kits, the only weapon it uses in the anime is the long-range beam rifle. I only listed the 100mm machine gun because it's in the MS Encyclopedia listing, but even that's honestly dubious.

Ball: I think I'm fighting a desperate rear-guard action to avoid accepting that the 15-caliber twin cannons are the same diameter as the regular Ball cannon. :-\

Zaku II, Goufs, Apsaras: Changed. I listed the Zaku weapons as "anti-personnel weapons" to match the Zaku I listing.

Alex, GM, Guncannon: Added assorted calibers.

GM Sniper II: What's the source for the sniper rifle caliber? The only one I can think of is Master Archive, which is excellent but less than authoritative.

Zaku FZ: Unconfirmed bazooka added.

Rick Dom II: The HG-UC kit manual just calls this a "diffuse beam gun," so I'll leave it at that for now.

As for additional stuff: I wouldn't bother with the 0080 MSVs (we don't really know their armament) or Phantom Bullets. Honestly, at this point I think I might switch gears and fill in a bunch of stuff that's not in the MS Encyclopedia but does end up in merchandising, like Crossbone Gundam and Thunderbolt. I keep having to look that stuff up for Bandai and Sunrise, so it would be convenient to have it in one place, and I've already established a method for distinguishing stuff that's not included in the encyclopedia...

For the same reason, I'm going to go through and check the name spellings against the HG-UC and MG kits. For merchandising purposes, the established kit names usually end up superseding the MS Encyclopedia, so it'll be more useful for me to have those in the list.

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

Regarding the GM Sniper II's rifle calibre, Japanese Wikipedia cites B-Club Magazine #41; unfortunately, I don't own a copy so I can't personally verify.

Regarding the Gouf Custom, I've seen a few sources refer to its heat rod simply as "heat rod (anchor type)" in order to differentiate it from the metal tentacle of the original Gouf.

balofo

-Source given by jp wiki on the 75mm caliber is B-CLUB誌41号(バンダイメディア事業部・出版課、1989)24-25頁。執筆/出淵裕。
-Regarding the Sniper II unconfirmed Beam Rifle, which I assume is the Hyaku Shiki one: doesn't the HGUC manual for the Shiki actually say this Beam Rifle has been around for some years and has been improved? Seems canon to me.

I'd love to see Crossbone added, now with the HGUCs we have more info. But first let's finish the colossal stuff that is left :)

0080 MSV:
-FA-78NT-1 Full Armor Alex. Armaments: 60 mm Vulcan x2, Twin Beam Cannon x1, 360mm? Rocket Cannon x1, Missile Bay x 4(shoulder/knees) and Shield. Source is this Katana manga profile plus my assumptions since it's based on the original FA Gundam armaments and the the armor is diverted to the FA Striker Custom(which has an in depth armaments list location).
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gun ... 0523145625
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/gun ... 0411183823
-GM Command LA: list as unconfirmed beam saber and beam gun. Its beam gun could be the high fire rate type depicted by Fukushi in the old manual.
-YMS-18 PROTOTYPE KÄMPFER: appeared in Ecole du Ciel and got a GFF. Armaments: 60mm? Vulcan x2, Shotgun x2, Beam Saber(stored in another place? in the EdC lineart it's stored on the same place), Giant Bazooka x2, Machinegun x1.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/gun ... 0331105845

-Phantom Bullets(source is the photonovel itself)
-Blossom. Armaments: 60mm? Vulcan x2, Beam Saber x2, Long Distance Beam Rifle and MPIWS.
-add FF-X(7)II-Bst Core Booster II. Armaments: Beam Gun x2, Long Distance Beam Rifle and MPIWS
-ZAKU II (GUNNER): Armaments: Leg 3 Tube Missile Pod x1, Large Shield and Sturm Faust x2
-ZAKU II (RANGEFINDER): Armaments: Gun-type Rangefinder(銃型測距儀), Rocket Booster x2, Shoulder Shield x1 and gatling shield (75mm gatling gun).
-there's a the Gelgoog J that uses the Xamel Cannon but it doesn't have lineart.

Before I do Z and ZZ, should I include the old manuals extra weapons?

*Addiotional info: we have calibers for the Sniper K9 weapons, Beam Sniper Rifle is 200mm and Beam Gun is 20mm. Source is HGBF manual, also add the 90mm to the bullpup
toysdream

I'm finding the caliber of the GM Sniper II's projectile rifle, and the claim that it used the Hyaku Shiki's rifle years earlier, pretty sketchy given the available sourcing. Let's leave that for now.

Likewise, the weapons for the 0080 MSVs seem a bit thinly sourced. Let me think about that for a bit.

But in the meantime, I've added a bunch of new stuff to the listings...

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM F91 MSV (two new ones from Gundam Magazine)

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM CROSSBONE GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM CROSSBONE GUNDAM: SKULL HEART
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM CROSSBONE GUNDAM: THE STEEL SEVEN

PLAMO-KYO SHIRO

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM EX-REVUE

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: GIHREN'S GREED
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: GIHREN'S GREED: BLOOD OF ZEON
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: GIHREN'S GREED: ZEON WAR OF INDEPENDENCE

I'm not listing every single thing from Plamo-Kyo Shiro and Gihren's Greed, but I'm trying for some rough level of noteworthiness.

-- Mark
balofo

Damn, that will take a year to go through all these additions. You also added Thunderbolt.

Mark, since you didn't add any of my last submissions please tell what series/MS you plan to have listed with armaments. Doing research for this obscure stuff is hard and time consuming :)

If your criteria is a armament list somewhat official, then the Jovian MS won't get armament listed right?

Regarding Crossbone: The Divinidad and the Nautilus don't have model numbers listed for them anywhere in the manga(not even in the recent rerelease). These mostly come from games and Gundam War, though I remember there being some MS profiles during Steel 7/SH for the original series MS in GA, perhaps from there.

Crossbone name corrections(If Japanese can't get English right, imagine Spanish and Latin):
-ABEJO should be Abeja. A male bee in Spanish is called abeja zángano
-TOTUGA shoud be Tortuga, spanish for turtle
-ELEGOLEA if meant to be Spanish can only be El Gorilla(The Gorilla). Ebikawa's contest submission has it named Ele Golera in English
-ARANA should be Araña
-IMPRUSE CORNIGS should be Impulse(vocative masculine singular of impulsus) Cornix(crow in Latin)
-ANGEL DIONA should be Ángel Diona
-JURISDIS SINISTRA DICITUS should be Iurisdis Sinistra Digitus(Latin for finger). The problem is Iurisdis doesn't exist together but you can say iuris dis...
-LIBERDAS DEXTRA DICITUS should be Libertas Dextra Digitus.
-ELCOPTE should be Helicóptero if Spanish or Helicòpter if Catalan. They really messed this one up if they meant to say helicopter in Spanish, since these all have roots in Greek not Latin

Diona if meant to be from Greek myths should be Dione, same in Spanish and English
toysdream

Oh yeah, I added Thunderbolt as well!

I added armament for the 0080 MSVs and the Phantom Bullets stuff - thanks for your research. :-)

Regarding the extra weapons from the old Zeta and ZZ kit manuals - some of these are already in my list, but I omitted others (like the extra weapons in the Gaz-R/L's shoulder armor) because if you check the fine print, these are described as merely proposed plans. But it never hurts to double-check!

Finally, the Crossbone stuff...

I included the model numbers for the Cangrejo, Nautilus, and Divinidad because these seem to be well-established in the video and card games. (Maybe I should make a note of that.) As for the mobile suit names, I feel like this is a case of the "New Yark" principle, in that the kana names seem to have been deliberately distorted and so this should be reflected in the English spellings.

Although the Jupiter Empire machine names are mostly from Spanish and Latin words, the Spanish ones don't use the Spanish pronunciation - for example, "cangrejo" is normally written as カングレホ ("kan-gray-hoe") to reflect the Spanish pronunciation, but the mobile armor name is written カングリジョ ("kan-gree-joe"), as if somebody who didn't speak Spanish were sounding out the letters. I think it's fair to use that as a general guideline for interpreting the names.

Even so, a lot of them have additional changes - アビジョ ends in "jo" rather than "ja", トトゥガ lacks the "ru" kana that's used to represent the "r" in "tortuga." Likewise, they went out of their way to write ディキトゥス and コルニグス rather than ディギトゥス and コルニクス, so "dicitus" and "cornigs" seem more appropriate than the Latin words "digitus" and "cornix". In general, when I'm translating names, I like to assume that the Japanese writers know what they're doing and any deviations from the standard kana are deliberate changes rather than mistakes to be "corrected" by an all-knowing translator. This rule of thumb has actually saved my bacon countless times when I'm working on stuff for Sunrise. :-)

-- Mark
balofo

Thanks for the explanation but what about the recent Toddesritter where the official English name doesn't match the katakana?

I'll do the the stuff from 0083 until ZZ this week. Someone else should check AOZ and EdC, I dislike AOZ and never read EdC.

If you added EX Revue then you should add the SNES G Gundam game with the Devil Gundam Another Form since there's a armament list for it in that GA Game's MSV column.

You should also add the G Saviour PS2 game

Updates:
-MG Dark Matter confirms the wrist GN Vulcans double as Beam Sabers. Dark Matter Booster also has listed Head Cannon(Beam Cannon) and Beam Barrier.
-Shouldn't we list Double Build Knuckle for SBS? It was used in ep 24.
AmuroNT1

All I can say about the GM Sniper II using a beam rifle like the Hyaku-Shiki's is it seems to come from this image. I'm not entirely sure where it comes from, unfortunately, but it does seem to be authentic.

As for listing the Double Build Knuckle, IMO that'd be like listing the Left-Handed God Finger that Domon used once - it's just a one-time variation of one of its standard attacks, so I dunno if it merits inclusion.

Deacon Blues

I'll toss a few for the Traitor to Destiny:

GM TYPE C (KERAUNOS SQUAD): specs aren't all that different from a GM Kai. Armaments are the same as GM Kai and GM Command. A machine gun was shown in a previous scan.

GM TYPE C "WAGTAIL": beam rifle (Wagtail exclusive as it has an enhanced sensor and barrel), shield, beam saber x 2

WAGTAIL II : shield and beam rifle remain unchanged from original Wagtail

KESTREL: dual head vulcans, a beam rifle, shield, and two beam sabers mounted on the backpack (core fighter). The beam rifle is an exclusive long-barrel high-powered type whose destructive power surpasses that of conventional use portable weaponry. At most, four spare energy packs are carried on both hips. While the shield only covers part of the forearm of the machine, three removable beam sabers are built into the surface allowing for it to stop an enemy saber attack. It can also be used for an attack.

ASSHIMAR "DANDA-CHAKRA" : beam saber x 4 (two per forearm)

MATABIRI: large mega particle cannon x 1, sub-cannons x many

On that note, I'm not sure if this is what Mark was looking for, but I made a compilation list from the "Earth Arc" of the story ages ago (having gone through each chapter):
【ケウラノス】
KERAUNOS

RGM-79C GM TYPE C
RGM-79C GM TYPE C WAGTAIL
MSK-003 WAGTAIL II
RMS-106 HI-ZACK
RMS-106 HI-ZACK IRIS
RMS-106 HI-ZACK EPIDENDRUM
RGC-83 GM CANNON II LUCIEN BENT CUSTOM
RGC-83 GM CANNON II WHITE CORAL
MSW-004 GUNDAM KESTREL
ZANZIBAR-CLASS KERAUNOS
BASE JABBER
DODAI KAI

【ティターンズ】
TITANS

RGM-79Q GM QUEL
RMS-106 HI-ZACK
RMS-106 HI-ZACK [VANARGUARD]
NRX-044 ASSHIMAR
NRX-044Q ASSHIMAR [DANDRA CHAKRA]
NRX-033 MATABIRI
RMS-108 MARASAI
RMS-179 GM II
MSM-01 MARINE HI-ZACK
JET CORE BOOSTER
HLV
MEDEA

【エゥーゴ/カラバ】
AEUG/KARABA

RX-178 GUNDAM MK-II
MSA-003 NEMO
MSA-005K GUNCANNON DETECTOR
RMS-009 RICK DIAS
GARUDA-CLASS (AUDHUMLA)
GAW KAI (ATBARAHNA)
LA VIE EN ROSE (ROSA GIGANTIA)

【アフリカ戦線】
AFRICAN FRONT

MS-06D DESERT ZAKU
DODAI II

【地球連邦軍】
EARTH FEDERATION FORCES

MA-05 BIGRO
RGM-79 GM
RGM-79G GM COMMAND
ORX-003 DOMINGO
FLY-MANTA
FF-6 TIN COD
HALF TRUCK

【ジオン公国軍】
PRINCIPALITY OF ZEON

MS-06 ZAKU II
MS-07B-3 GOUF CUSTOM
PVN.4/3 WAPPA
DOPP
DODAI YS
GAW
SAMSON

【シーマ艦隊】
CIMA FLEET

MS-14F GELGOOG MARINE
MUSAI-CLASS

【ジオン残党】
ZEON REMNANTS

MSM-04 ACGUY
MSM-07 Z’GOK
RMS-192M ZAKU MARINER
JUKON-CLASS (U-331, U-567)
I think I have a complete one for the Blue Wings and Mace of Judgement sections too.
toysdream

Following the MS Encyclopedia's lead, I'm not going to bother listing guest MS unless they actually have new line art (like the Confeito Forces GM Quel from Advance of Zeta), and vehicles are beyond the scope of this list. So the "Traitor to Destiny" listing from the MS Encyclopedia already seems to be comprehensive.

Right now, I'm going back and noting "assignment" (Earth Federation Forces, Principality of Zeon, etc etc) for each machine, since this is the only data point I hadn't previously cribbed from the MS Encyclopedia. Whew!

-- Mark
balofo

Mark, found some proof for the Empruss and Gaga weapons not mentioned in lists:

-Empruss http://file.smileydays.blog.shinobi.jp/be693751.jpeg

The text is kinda illegible but I think I got it right: The round apertures on both upper and lower surfaces are GN Verniers/GN Particle Cannons(Guns), the apertures on the nose part(actually the claws in this MA since it's the forwardmost part of the machine, see the text for the Egner Whips) are GN Beam Cannons(Guns).

You should add the 2x GN Beam Cannons as unconfirmed, though they are used as Beam Vulcans in the anime.

-Gaga and Gaga Cannon http://file.smileydays.blog.shinobi.jp/ ... 195911.jpg

Here the landing gear is called Claw, so we should add GN Claw as unconfirmed. Also that lineart effect for the Canon's claw can only be a GN Beam Saber since GN Verniers don't look like that and the effect is different.

To get 100% confirmation we need the the original lineart sheets, but I don't those are available for 00 yet.

I will do the mid UC stuff this weekend

*Bonus that Gaga scan also has interesting info for the Regnant:
-The MA GN Vulcans are also usable in MS mode mounte on the thighs
-The palm's Engner Whip also doubles as 4 barrel GN Beam Vulcan
-Large GN Fangs have built-in GN Beam Cannons

Let's add the egner whip x 2(4 tube GN Beam Vulcan), Large GN Fangsx10(GN Beam Cannons) and change GN Missile x4 to GN (Micro) Missile Hatch x4
bilbros

In general, when I'm translating names, I like to assume that the Japanese writers know what they're doing and any deviations from the standard kana are deliberate changes rather than mistakes to be "corrected" by an all-knowing translator.
Yep, that seem a pretty sound principle... but just to muddle waters a bit more, please take a look what they wrote on a recent Gundam War Nex-A card:

http://www.gundam.info/popup/t/12561#name10

:mrgreen:
toysdream

...Implse? I rest my case. :-)

-- Mark
balofo

The time has come!

http://i.imgur.com/dlwB2bx.jpg

And they still didn't divide it into separate UC and AU books...

Remaining AGE MSV, rest of MSV-R, rest of UC, BF and Try, Origin 1 and G-Reco. Should also include new games like EXVSMB and Missing Link

Crossbone never :(

We're algo getting the MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SHIP & AEROSPACE PLANE ENCYCLOPEDIA 2015!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/MOBILE-GUNDAM-A ... 4048693131
toysdream

Aw yeah! More raw material! That was quicker than I expected. :-)

-- Mark