Other Gundam Worlds: What Do Specs Measure?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
SonicSP

Re: Other Gundam Worlds: What Do Specs Measure?

toysdream wrote:Here's an addendum on Gundam 00's weight/mass changing effect. (The kit manuals seem to use both terms, despite the big difference in meaning.) There are a couple of passages in the kit manuals that give us a hint how this might work.

First, from the description of the GN Hammer in the Astraea Type F kit manual:
The sphere has a GN Condenser inside it, and using the particles' mass regulation function, the impact can be increased when it hits.
And from the Avalanche Exia Dash kit manual, a description of its High Mobility Mode:
The parts on the shoulders, the knees, and the ends of the legs are deployed far from the center of gravity. This mode increases the performance of AMBAC, which is an attitude control function based on movements of mass, by changing the mass of the particles stored within [these parts]. This is particularly effective during melee combat in space, making precise high-speed movements possible without consuming particles.
Ah, I think that may explain it! It's not that the GN drive, or the particles it emits, actually change the mass of other objects. Rather, when you have a bunch of stored GN particles, you can change their mass. Since this effect can be used to cancel out some of the weight of a heavy machine like the Virtue, it suggests that GN particles can actually be manipulated to have a negative mass. That's a bit crazy, but then again GN particles seem to be basically magic. :-)

This also suggests that you need to have a supply of GN particles stored inside the object whose mass you want to adjust. The bigger the condenser, presumably, the bigger an effect you can produce.

-- Mark
Thanks for the insight and translations Mark. I'm enjoying this new info greatly.

I'm slightly confused, does that mean they simply generate a negative mass effect then? If I'm getting this right. That would mean that it can reduce weight of objects like we see in Virtue and Dynames Torpedo manual and do mobility related stuff like described in the Exia Avalanche ' manual.

The MG Exia manual also sort of talks about the weight manipulation thing, except it talks about it in regards to base Exia's purple cables and how Exia uses it in combination with AMBAC to achieve superior mobility compared to the other three Gundams. I thought it was weird to put in weight manipulation effect there, especially as it wouldn't be effective in space but if its manipulating the particles mass for posture, then it would make more sense.

Wouldn't this also explain why GNMS in general do not have much thrusters all over the limbs though? They may not need them for posture control as much. They usually have at least one though somewhere, minus the Bits that is. This is unlike the Fangs of the series, which do have visible thrusters.

I wonder whether this negative mass effect may explain some of their relatively omnidirectional movements without any obvious thrusters? For example, they seem to be able to brake fairly easily in space without any obvious thruster effects. Suits like the Tieren Space Type gets relatively complex propellant showcases (though I think it's missing in the Space Enacts/Flags/Realdos/Hellions). Even some if the more conventional spacecraft in the show gets a counter thrust animation when braking. Examples I can think from the top of my head include one small craft that did this near the beginning of the movie and another large carrier that did this in Season 2-Episode 1.

The only time I remember a GNMS getting one was somewhere in Season 2-Episode 1, where we see a slight GN thruster effect acting towards the front of a GN-XIII as it was braking. It was from a part that we usually do not associate known thrusters with but the effect was there for that one instance.

I'm trying to figure out the Bits movements such as Qan(T)'s Sword Bits and Cherudim/Zabanya's Shield Bits, all of which lacks the normal visible thrusters and their colorful effects. I'm thinking the GN Particles ability to manipulate mass might have something to do with it, but taking the Mass Effect Series' use of the phenomenon of thruster-less movements, I recall you actually need to exhibit a "positive" mass effect for the craft to "fall into" rather than a "negative" one.

======

EDIT

In regards to what I mentioned earlier about the Gundams to have been noted to "float" instead of flying in atmosphere according to the 300 Years Later book, I can think of how that might work based in whether the GN Particles manipulate weight or mass.

If its weight manipulation, it would be like if the particles were to nullify gravity's effect on the MS completely. This should make it seem like if the Gundam was floating similar to a zero-G environment.

If its mass manipulation, I figured that it works by changing the Gundams' density as its mass is changed. The basic formula for density is mass/volume and under this line of thought the Gundam's have the ability to reduce their own mass. When the mass IE the numerator of the formula is reduced, the density would drop as a result of that manipulation since the volume of the suit remaisn constant, When the density is lower than air, the suit should naturally float.

Whether its gravity or density change, both of these would be for in-atmospheric occasions only of course. Wouldn't be related to their other alternative form of movement; whatever it is.
MythSearcher

Come to think of it, the height of the MSs can vary a lot.
May look hilarious, but think of a tip-toeing MS.
Then think of a crouching MS.

both of these got a different head height, which obviously will be very far apart.

The normal standing height is not that standardized either, if you are into model photography, you may have seen people taking a lot of photos with MSs in different standing poses, like the famous Katoki pose, which makes the MS a little bit shorter due to the legs separating further a part.
In a more real life situation, this can get worse. The suspension systems can possibly change the height by a few dozen centimetres if not around a metre range.(each of the ankle, knee, groin, waist and neck joints should have about 10~20cm minimum suspension for something that big)

I've seen modelors able to make modifications that even though two GP01s standing next to each other, and you can measure each single part's length all you want but they are the same, with really similar poses, the modified one is simply 5mm taller, with you frustrated as to how can that be. It's highly likely that the joints are modified to give a little taller height.
SonicSP

In regards to the mass and weight contradiction we talked about earlier, is it possible that it can be resolved without resorting to a contradiction route?

As we know, weight is a force and one of the basic formulas of force is mass multiplied by acceleration. Except with the case of general weight, where the acceleration used is gravity's.

With that in mind, isn't it possible that all the statements of weight and mass reduction to be correct? I mean if a text is saying that weight is reduced, it can be technically correct in the sense that mass is reduced. Because acceleration remains the constant, the change in weight can be said to be as a result of change in mass or change in the "effect" of mass specifically.

If this is true, then if a text is saying "weight reduction" it wouldn't be technically wrong; it would just be less precise. Taking all context out, saying that something has reduced weight as a general statement would give the reader/listener no specific information on whether mass or acceleration is the factor that has been reduced, but it wouldn't be incorrect either. A statement that says mass is reduced is just as a correct but more precise to the specific factor that has changed. If the text actually says its as a result of reduction of acceleration, then that would be a direct contradiction (assuming we do not go down the "they reduce both mass AND acceleration" logic route, which just trips my last resort switch). If it says force, then that may still not fall within the contradiction zone either since mass is one of the components of force due to force = mass * acceleration equation.

This is of course, me interpreting weight to mean what it means in English. My blind spot of course, is that I have no idea what the text actually says in Japanese and it's specific meaning and/or context. I'm also not trying to say that the authors that wrote the text were necessarily in synch with each other but this may serve as a decent rationalization to the fans; it would to me anyways.

In most everyday life cases, I do not think a "mass reduction effect" is readily apparent and that may affect how we interpret things linguistically but it does apparently exists in 00's universe at least when GN Particles are used anyways. Most of the time, we hardly think of mass when we think of weight because unless something breaks apart or a person gets fatter/thinner over time, we would likely be talking about things that have the same mass as a constant rather than have a magical temporary increase/decrease effect on it so usually lead to the "change in acceleration" logic route. With GN Particles though, that may not be the case in the case since the increase/decrease of mass seems simple enough with them.

One of Mark's posts earlier noted that the Weight term is "kilogram-force" or "kilogram-weight" and from that it sounds to me like like the application in linguistic I mentioned in this post would work.
toysdream

Like I said, the Japanese terms used correspond very precisely to "mass" (質量) and "weight" (重量), which have the same scientific meaning as in English, and they very definitely mix and match the two terms. If you change mass, then weight automatically changes as a consequence, so if there's an actual effect on mass then of course it affects the weight.

The key bit of info from the Avalanche Exia Dash kit manual is that this effect works by changing the mass of the GN particles, rather than of any and all physical objects in the vicinity. If that's the case, then it should narrow down the range of possibilities.

-- Mark
DoubleZero

Where do we factor strength here? In Gundam AGE, we had AGE-3 Normal and AGE-2 DarkHound throw around a Defurse, which was stated to be over a thousand tons. Was this ever mentioned in any official manuals or specs?
"Rush hour, during the Dark hour..."
toysdream

An addendum on the Gundam Seed weight specs, since I just went through and tallied these up for my ongoing MS Catalog project.

As I noted at the top of this thread, the specs for the Gundam Seed series list a single number for "weight", without specifying whether this is full or base weight or what. But unlike some other series, we do get detailed weights for optional equipment such as Striker packs, Wizards, and Silhouettes. Here's a quick rundown of these:

Strike Gundam: 64.8t
Aile Striker: 20.3t
Sword Striker: 9.3t
Launcher Striker: 18.9t
Multiple Assault Striker: 63.05t
Gunbarrel Striker: 11.87t
Jet Striker: 12.5t
Owashi pack: 18.22t
Shiranui pack: 20.4t

Note: The weight of the Noir Striker is unknown since the base Strike E is different.

Duel Gundam: 61.9t
Duel Assault Shroud: 41.57t

Gundam Astray: 49.8t
Astray Flight Unit: 7.3t
Shrike Flight Rotor: 11.8t

Note: The weight of the Tactical Arms is unknown since the base machine is different (for one starters, it doesn't have the original backpack).

Stargazer: 76.22t
Voiture Lumiere Unit: 7.37t

Impulse Gundam: 63.54t
Force Silhouette: 14.76t
Sword Silhouette: 15.39t
Blast Silhouette: 21.14t

Note: The weight of the Destiny R Silhouette is unknown since the base machine is different (it lacks a Core Splendor, or at least the backpack portion).

ZAKU Warrior: 73.09t
Blaze Wizard: 16.50t
Slash Wizard: 13.40t
Gunner Wizard: 18.02t

There's one more data point we should consider here: The full weight of the 105 Slaughter Dagger is 68.09 tons including the Aile Striker. Although we don't know the exact weight of the base machine, the original 105 Dagger is 57.05 tons, which implies that the Striker pack itself weighs roughly 11 tons. This in turn suggests that the 20.3 ton weight of the Strike Gundam's Aile Striker includes the shield and beam rifle, which are not part of the Sword and Launcher configurations.

In that case, we can guesstimate that the Aile Striker alone weighs about 11 tons, and the Strike's shield and rifle weigh about 9 tons. This compares pretty well to the 7.3 tons of the Astray's Flight Unit (which does indeed seem to be a bit smaller), although it seems a bit light compared to the Impulse Gundam's Force Silhouette.

What's more, if the Strike's base weight doesn't include the shield and beam rifle, what about all the other mobile suit weights? Does the 68.09 tons of the 105 Slaughter Dagger include its shield and rifle? What about the Duel Gundam? What about the Impulse Gundam, whose base weight is almost identical to that of the Strike? We may be able to puzzle out some answers by studying the numbers, but I thought that was an interesting starting point...

-- Mark
Evex

Hm...I've all ways considered the Gundam SEED suit weight to be its max weight. This data point out that it might be more of the mobile suits base weight with fixed armaments equipped, along with its fuel capacity. I would also assume the Busters weapons are included in its weight, since they are fixed on the mobile suit.

If the strike is nine tons heavier with its shield and beam rifle, then we can say the default configuration weighs around 73.8 metric tons with the shield and beam rifle equipped. This of course is not including the aile striker pack. The suit itself is much heavier then its U.C. counterpart the RX-78-2 Gundam which is only 60 metric tons at full load out. Makes you wonder what makes the mobile suit that heavy. Could it be the base armor the mobile suit is using ? Possibly the equipment needed to make phase shift armor work ?

Looking at the Astray units the weight is 49.8 metric tons, assuming that they use the same beam rifle and shield as the strike. Then this weight is 58.8 metric tons. For the most part I guess we can call the Astray Gunadams light armor versions of there GAT series cousins. Though if we take the 73.8 metric tons and consider it the max gross for the strike then if we take the difference of the RX-78-2 Gundams min and max weight we might get an idea of the Strike's minimum weight. Let's see the difference between the Gundams min and max weight is 16.6. Applying that number to the Strike Gundam then we can say its minimum weight is 57.2 metric tons. Though this is a guess at most on my part, since well the RX-78-2 uses lunar titanium/Gundarium as an armor material and we don't know what any of the C.E. era suits use for armor.
toysdream

Yeah, the Buster's weight is presumably with full equipment. So it's no surprise that it's almost identical to that of the Launcher Strike - neither of these machines carries a rifle or shield.

Nine tons for the Strike's shield and rifle seems a bit high to me - most UC mobile suits have about six tons of carried equipment, and if the shield and rifle only accounted for six tons of the Aile Striker weight, then the pack itself would be 14 tons (same as the Impulse's Force Silhouette). But the 105 Slaughter Dagger specs suggest otherwise.

This in turn raises questions about the Impulse Gundam. All of its configurations include the retractable shield and beam rifle, but is this also factored into its base weight? At 63.54t, it's a bit lighter than the original Strike, and it's also really light compared to all the other ZAFT machines. If the Impulse's Silhouette packs each include a rifle and shield, then they may not be that heavy compared to the corresponding Striker packs...

At this point, though, we're calling all the weight specs into question and there's really no end to it. I'm content to have the information above since this at least gives us some guidance as to how much different bits of equipment weight, which is incredibly scarce in the UC series.

One other data point to consider: The Impulse's Core Splendor is very small compared to a UC Core Fighter, and also really light at 3.02 tons. This unit includes the Impulse's entire backpack, and thus gives us a point of comparison for other mini-backpacks like that of the Astray. If the Impulse's cockpit block and backpack weigh three tons, then I'd guess the Astray's backpack might weigh maybe two tons (including beam sabers). This means a backpack-less Astray would weigh about 48 tons.

In this case, since the Red Frame Kai weighs 62.0 tons, we can estimate that the Tactical Arms II L weights about 14 tons (same as the Force Silhouette, more than the Aile Striker). The Astray Turn Red, which has two original-style Tactical Arms units and four battery packs attached to a funky custom backpack adapter, weighs 76.12 tons; the entire Tactical Arms assembly would thus weigh about 28 tons, or 14 tons per Tactical Arms unit once again. The Blue Frame Second L weighs 64.4t; subtract the Tactical Arms and battery packs, and we get about 50.4 tons, which suggests that the changes to the base machine (new head, shoulder thrusters, PS armor layer around cockpit, snazzy new feet with pop-out blades) add about 3 tons total.

As for why the Strike is so much heavier than the Dagger series: Good question. The Buster Dagger is only 4.5 tons lighter than the Buster Gundam, so there's probably not that much difference between the basic machines, even with the addition of PS armor. It may just be that the Strike has extra-large (and thus extra-heavy) battery packs...

-- Mark
Evex

Considering we are on the subject of mass production mobile suits I decided to check on the weight difference between the various GAT series production models to there prototype models.

Difference between Strike Gundam none striker pack equipped.

Strike Dagger: 9.49 metric tons lighter
105 Dagger: 7.75 metric tons lighter
Dagger L: 9.75 metric tons lighter
Slaughter Dagger: 3.29 metric tons heavier
Windam: 6.6 metric tons lighter

Difference between Buster Gundam

Buster Dagger: 3.5 metric tons lighter

Difference between Forbidden Gundam

Deep Forbidden: 4.93 metric tons lighter.

Unfortunately looking into this the Blitz and Duels dagger counterparts lack any weight value, so its hard to tell how lighter or heavier they would be verses there parent model. oddly enough a base slaughter dagger is actually heavier then the base strike gundam. Even its aile striker pack is oddly lighter then the strike gundams at 9.26 while the strike gundams comes in at 20.3. What makes the slaughter daggers aile striker pack light ?

Hm...there seems to be some discrepancies with the slaughter dagger when its equipped with the sword and launcher packs. The main profile says the base machine is 68.09 metric tons with out the aile striker. However the Sword Slaughter Dagger says its weight is 66.35 metric tons. How is the suit lighter with the sword striker equipped. In the mean time the launcher pack used by the slaughter daggers even appears to be lighter. The launcher pack for the slaughter dagger weighing 7.05 metric tons, while the strike gundams weighs 18.9 metric tons.

Okay I think I found out where the weight discrepancy came from. It appears to come from the 105 dagger. The 105 dagger weighs 57.05 metric tons with out any striker packs. With the sword striker equipped it weighs 66.35 metric tons. This gives the sword striker it uses a weight of 9.3 metric tons. This matches the weight of the striker pack used by the Strike Gundam. This means the Sword Slaughter dagger should weigh 77.39 metric tons, as opposed to its 66.35 metric tons. Due to the odd numbering of the 105 daggers weight its launcher striker weighs 18.09 metric tons, while the strike's weighs 18.9 metric tons. If we round the 105 daggers weight so its decimal place matches the strike gundam the launcher pack comes in at 18 metric tons. This makes me believe the slaughter dagger equipped with launcher pack should be somewhere between 86.09 and 86.99 metric tons.

Oddly enough the aile windam pack weighs the same as the strike gundams at 20.3 metric tons. This makes me wonder if there is an error with the slaughter daggers aile striker pack. If we believe the aile striker pack is the same, but modified to allow for atmospheric flight then the slaughter dagger should weigh either 88.39 metric tons with the striker pack equipped, or the base machine weight should be 57.05 metric tons the same as the 105 dagger. This would then make sense on how the Sword slaughter dagger can weigh 66.35 metric tons. Whew and that's just the default striker packs. I'm not sure I want to get into the other ones at this point.
toysdream

I think you're overthinking this. Like I noted, the weight spec for the 105 Slaughter Dagger includes the Aile Striker pack (as per the HG kit manual and other official sources). The base weight for the 105 Slaughter Dagger is unknown, but presumably similar to that of the standard 105 Dagger.

Aside from the base weight of the 105 Dagger (57.05t), and the Aile Striker-equipped weight of the 105 Slaughter Dagger (68.09t), every other weight spec for these machines is fan-created guesswork created by adding established equipment weights to whatever people assume their base weights are. So, by definition, any other weight specs you might find online either contain no new data or are wrong. :-)

-- Mark
Evex

You're most likely right. I have a bad habit of over thinking things. Something I've noticed is that most alternate universe gundams in the past have used fusion type reactors. The only series I believe that don't do this is Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED Destiny, and Gundam 00 among others I can't think of. Was this done for some sort of spec uniformity concerning the alternate universes, or was just one of those happy coincidences/trends ?
toysdream

Again, this may be a misperception caused by fan sites. MAHQ has a historic tendency to make assumptions about the power sources used in the various Gundam series - or maybe it's just copy-and-paste boilerplate - and most of the other fan sites copy all their specs from MAHQ rather than doing their own research. I think there may be some actual info on the Gundam Wing reactors in the Entertainment Bibles, but otherwise I'd take all that stuff with many grains of salt.

-- Mark
SonicSP

Initially I wanted to ask on Build Fighters thread, but then I remembered about this one which is more centered towards height/weight discussion on AUs.

What does the height/weight stats cited in the Build Fighter kit means? Does it refer to their height/weight in the simulation? Using the HG 1/144 Build Strike manual as an example, there is some sort of "disclaimer-ish" sentence below it. I assume it means it's height/weight inside the simulation but I guess I'm asking confirmation in case anyone knows just to be sure.

I use dalong.net for manual reference since I don't own any Build Fighter kits yet but go also heard he doesn't like people hotlinking to his site so I didn't post a direct link this time.
Last edited by SonicSP on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
toysdream

"The machine data is numbers invented by the builders in the show."

-- Mark
SonicSP

Oh thanks. That is helpful.