It fell from outerspace

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Evex

It fell from outerspace

First off I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

Now for the purpose of this topic. I just had a thought, but one that has me curios enough to ask this kind of question. Given the nature of G Gundams colonies. What would happen if one of these fell to earth?

More specificlly what would happen if Neo America fell back to earth. For simplicity sake lets say it impacts Brazil. What kind of damage would this cause, if the full colony impacted ? What kind of damge would be caused, if only an intact portion collided? (most of the colony burns up on reentry).
ShadowCell

Re: It fell from outerspace

moved to mecha and technology

anyway, i would think it would depend on how big the colony is, and i don't think we've ever been given figures on that?
willyvereb

IIRC, the colony drop on Australia had the yield of 100 teratons of TNT.
Given the size of UC colonies (6km wide, 30 km long) and the massive speed a body gains from the gravity (if the air friction won't slow it down, and it can't for such a massive body), that sounds more or less reasonable.

I believe it'd be kind of similar in case of Neo America.
mcred23

willyvereb wrote:IIRC, the colony drop on Australia had the yield of 100 teratons of TNT.

Actually, it was "just" 60,000 megatons that turned Sydney into a 300 mile crater, and that was just the front section of the colony.

Of course, as must always pointed out when this subject comes up, the colony drops we see in UC are in no way at all portrayed consistently when it comes to their effects, either immediately or in the long run, so make of it what you will.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
MythSearcher

I suggest using this:
http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/

For the America continent, its not hard to get the area of USA and multiplying it with an estimated thickness to get the volume(simple prism volume calculation)
For the density, use dense rock.
For the speed, since it is orbiting Earth, it should be less than 11.2km/s when it hits,(anything in orbit should be between 7.8~11.2km/s, 11.2km/s is the escape velocity) so you will have to keep it at 11km/s unless your situation involves some lunatic pushing it towards Earth.

BTW, if we do a rough calculation of what a Island 3 colony can do with this, it will be nowhere close to the OYW drop settints.
With a mass of around 3X10^7 tons, and mainly build with iron, we can estimate a diameter of around 150~200m, and the effect on the day change will be unnoticable, not the 1.2 second increase per hour in the settings, not going to happen even with 72km/s with this little mass.
doghunter1

Half off-topic, seeing as to what I'm talking about should go to Fanfiction.

I'm doing this Strike Witches fanfic (you can find it Here and here) that is Strike Witches + Choudenji Machine Voltes V + Heavy Metal L-Gaim + Blue Comet SPT Layzner + Metal Armor Dragonar, and the backstory involves why Liberion (the US's name in Strike Witches) is shaped as seen here, and here's the backstory:

The Alternate World War II happens (or happened, because this is a fanfic sequel I'm writing) because they're literally doing World War II again because, it isn't really 1946 AD, but the year 2096 AD, and here's the reason.

The year was 2030 AD. After the Unification Wars/World War III, the United Earth League decided to find a new plant for humanity to call home due to the decade-long World War, and found a planet they did. They four ships to colonize the planet, and to make travel easier, they successfully built a warp drive. However, on the last ship out of the Solar System, the ship's warp drive malfunctioned when activated, causing an explosion that destroyed 60% of the ship and caused time to go backwards at an alarmingly fast rate. As the pieces hit the Earth, time stopped to go backwards fact and the flow of time resumed going forward, but by then, the pieces of the ship hit the Earth, creating the Alaska and the larger-than-real-life Gulf of Mexico you seen in the third link I posted. Now, to the actual question at hand:

How large should the ship pieces be to cause such damage?

EDIT: Also, for anyone willing to answer, the ships in question are as long as O'Neil Cylinders in Universal Century (32km long and 6.3km in density).
MythSearcher

doghunter1 wrote:Half off-topic, seeing as to what I'm talking about should go to Fanfiction.

I'm doing this Strike Witches fanfic (you can find it Here and here) that is Strike Witches + Choudenji Machine Voltes V + Heavy Metal L-Gaim + Blue Comet SPT Layzner + Metal Armor Dragonar, and the backstory involves why Liberion (the US's name in Strike Witches) is shaped as seen here, and here's the backstory:

The Alternate World War II happens (or happened, because this is a fanfic sequel I'm writing) because they're literally doing World War II again because, it isn't really 1946 AD, but the year 2096 AD, and here's the reason.

The year was 2030 AD. After the Unification Wars/World War III, the United Earth League decided to find a new plant for humanity to call home due to the decade-long World War, and found a planet they did. They four ships to colonize the planet, and to make travel easier, they successfully built a warp drive. However, on the last ship out of the Solar System, the ship's warp drive malfunctioned when activated, causing an explosion that destroyed 60% of the ship and caused time to go backwards at an alarmingly fast rate. As the pieces hit the Earth, time stopped to go backwards fact and the flow of time resumed going forward, but by then, the pieces of the ship hit the Earth, creating the Alaska and the larger-than-real-life Gulf of Mexico you seen in the third link I posted. Now, to the actual question at hand:

How large should the ship pieces be to cause such damage?

EDIT: Also, for anyone willing to answer, the ships in question are as long as O'Neil Cylinders in Universal Century (32km long and 6.3km in density).
Since we don't have a science theory to change the time dimension, it would be impossible to tell you how large should the pieces be.
And I can also assure you that even the whole ship is not going to have enough energy to do so if it is just a large chunk of metal, since like I said in the last post, a whole colony is not going to cause a significant change in the Earth's rotation speed, and of course no where near altering space-time.

And you need a few dozen times larger than that to get the Earth to speed up or slow down for a second, so if you are just aiming at reversing the Earth's spin(not changing the actual time itself), the size you should be talking about should be a few millions, if not billions of times larger than an Island 3 colony. Yes, Earth will likely cease to exist if y ou have something that big hitting it and changing it's momentum by that much, since Earth is not as rigid as you think.
doghunter1

MythSearcher wrote:
Since we don't have a science theory to change the time dimension, it would be impossible to tell you how large should the pieces be.
And I can also assure you that even the whole ship is not going to have enough energy to do so if it is just a large chunk of metal, since like I said in the last post, a whole colony is not going to cause a significant change in the Earth's rotation speed, and of course no where near altering space-time.

And you need a few dozen times larger than that to get the Earth to speed up or slow down for a second, so if you are just aiming at reversing the Earth's spin(not changing the actual time itself), the size you should be talking about should be a few millions, if not billions of times larger than an Island 3 colony. Yes, Earth will likely cease to exist if y ou have something that big hitting it and changing it's momentum by that much, since Earth is not as rigid as you think.
What do you mean by "time dimension?"

Also, would this be possible
toysdream wrote:
08:35 The colony breaks up over Arabia.
* Source: Entertainment Bible 39.

08:41 The front section of the colony falls onto the east coast of Australia (local time 18:41). Meanwhile, fragments of its rear section scatter across North America and the Pacific Ocean. The impact claims 200 million lives, and the drastic climate changes caused by the colony drop lead to many more casualties.
* Source: Entertainment Bible 39.
MythSearcher

doghunter1 wrote:
What do you mean by "time dimension?"

Also, would this be possible
The backstory talks about time going backwards, if we treat time as the 4th dimension, then time going backwards means modifying the time dimension.

What Mark translated is possible, the only things not possible is a single colony causing a significant(more than 1 second per day) change in Earth's rotation and the strength of the Earthquake.