Dragonar influence in Gundam SEED?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
mikethemod1992

Dragonar influence in Gundam SEED?

Just for full disclosure, i've never seen this series

I was watching the Gundam Info video for the Dagger L, and I noticed for atmospheric flight, they've got these attachable Wings on their booster packs that greatly resemble the ones featured on the Dragoon mass production types in Metal Armour Dragonar

Does anybody know the source of this design? And is it featured on any more suits in SEED?

[url]http://toro_plus.c.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_5cb/toro_plus/IMG_0004-fad7f.JPG?c=a1[/url]
The fall of the Titans, Axis risen the power as Neo Zeon, the colony drop of Dublin, Neo Zeon's attempts of dropping Axis on Earth and the death of Amuro and Char were all caused because one douchebag Titan solider thought that one angsty teenager's name sounded like a girls name.
yazi88

Re: Dragonar influence in Gundam SEED?

The answer you're looking for is Okawara being lazy and reusing his designs from previous works. Remember Saviour Gundam? A lot of people like that design right? Well, its pretty much a copy of Gun Lancer/Gun Saber/Cloud Breaker from SRW and Sunrise Eiyuutan.
JEFFPIATT

this is not the first gundam series Okawara to have tweaked line art from another show he did for sunrise. V gundam had some of the zanscare units be redrawn from Aura Battler Dunbine's Aura Battlers made to look less organic insect like and more mechanical. and quite literaly sunrise seems to hire him and makes the request that he design an new hero gundam that resembles the rx-78 look with what ever play pattern bandai wants for the toys. 00 gundam broke that by only letting him do the 0 gundam witch was ment to be an rx-78 remake with the new backpack cone while the rest were done by an new guy who re envisioned the classic gundam head formula. but not as raticaly as the turn a
MythSearcher

mikethemod1992 wrote:Just for full disclosure, i've never seen this series

I was watching the Gundam Info video for the Dagger L, and I noticed for atmospheric flight, they've got these attachable Wings on their booster packs that greatly resemble the ones featured on the Dragoon mass production types in Metal Armour Dragonar

Does anybody know the source of this design? And is it featured on any more suits in SEED?

[url]http://toro_plus.c.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_5cb/toro_plus/IMG_0004-fad7f.JPG?c=a1[/url]
Dragonar was supposed to be a remake of first Gundam. and SEED is supposed to be a remake of first Gundam(with 21st century technology and world view)
And the Director in SEED, Fukuda, was in the team of Dragonar and is responsible for screen play of a few episodes. He also admitted that he used his experience in Dragonar in SEED and pay resect to Dragonar(by this, it means that he blatantly copied scenes) in SEED
mikethemod1992

MythSearcher wrote:
Dragonar was supposed to be a remake of first Gundam. and SEED is supposed to be a remake of first Gundam(with 21st century technology and world view)
And the Director in SEED, Fukuda, was in the team of Dragonar and is responsible for screen play of a few episodes. He also admitted that he used his experience in Dragonar in SEED and pay resect to Dragonar(by this, it means that he blatantly copied scenes) in SEED

Thanks for all the responses, I just started watching today so I'll see if I can catch anything I recognize from Dragonar
The fall of the Titans, Axis risen the power as Neo Zeon, the colony drop of Dublin, Neo Zeon's attempts of dropping Axis on Earth and the death of Amuro and Char were all caused because one douchebag Titan solider thought that one angsty teenager's name sounded like a girls name.
teslashark

Please excuse me for necronizing this thread to list the specific similarities:

The Aile striker is basically a Metal Armor Fixed Flying Unit, only Dragonar and SEED featured winged backpacks for mechas(Super Gundam does not count). Jet Strikers in Destiny are even more similar since they have detachable rocket pods. The Light Runner from Universal Century comes after SEED.
The Dinn looks like a Schwalg.
Giganos and O.M.N.I. helmets share a similar raised forehead and streched chin.
Microwave based superweapons.
Relatively small calibers for mecha automatic weapons.
Combat spacecrafts converted from construction pods with machineguns as weapon.
Destroying a cannon by reacing it from beneath.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
yazi88

Also Windam pretty much heavily designed like a Dragonar.
teslashark

yazi88 wrote:Also Windam pretty much heavily designed like a Dragonar.
Oh yes, the throwing bombs and hand grenades also debuted in Dragonar then re-appeared in Destiny. Though I don't know if combining two BSs into one double edged sword counts.
teslashark

yazi88 wrote:Also Windam pretty much heavily designed like a Dragonar.
Have you seen the latest Destiny HD? The Ootori Strike is just so Dragonar, and it fought like one.
Zeonista

Not a bad revival of mecha design from an old classic, eh? :) Since Metal Armor Dragonar was the "Gundam Lite" back in the day, it was not surprising that staff from it would revive ideas for a new Gundam AU. And given a nearly 15-year gap between the two series, the designs would look new and fresh to a new generation of fans. Which apparently according to the comments, effectively did so! :D Dragonar designs were actually some of the first by Sunrise anime to feature augmentation packs and team-specific loadouts, and looked sleeker overall than the usual Sunrise anime designs of the time. (The anime actually preceded War in the Pocket and Stardust Memory, which collectively re-wrote the book on Gundam mecha design.) So they were trend-setters that proved to be good for more than one anime, and quite plausible in the bargain. The enduring appeal is not surprising; as a fan who watched raw VHS copies of Dragonar back around '91 or so, I found the mecha to be the main selling point.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde