Teiren question (Gundam 00)

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
DAG101

Teiren question (Gundam 00)

Okay, I recently (As in, a couple hours ago) finished off the first season of 00. Quite possibly one of the best shows I've ever seen (right up there with Breaking Bad and Avatar: The Last Airbender) but one thing bothered me.

What was with the weird helmets the HRL's Teiren pilots wore? They looked like they just made it HARDER to see...
Wingnut

Re: Teiren question (Gundam 00)

What do you mean by harder? They have the same range of vision that anyone using a "traditional" cockpit viewscreen has. A Tieren pilot just has it all in his face all the time and the display changes to show the outside as the pilot turns his head. There are helmets in the real world for fighter pilots that do some of the same things in terms of displaying info right on the pilot's visor.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
AnimeMun

Yes, the Epyon in Wing used the same approach. Not to mention several sci-fi shows both foreign and domestic. This is not a new concept nor is it a bad one. Think of it as a good way for a VR set up or an AR set up as well. Plus it is a good economic way to deal with screens for mass produced MS because I'm sure those plasma screen or LCD cockpits get rather expensive after a while.
A supporter of the HARO mafia.

The Cross-Culture Hero.

This should probably be a secret but... MY NAME IS ANIME-MUN!
JEFFPIATT

well the video visors used by the HRL forces were another way to show how different the military budiget was there compared to the other factions who used those fancy panoramic displays while the HRL stuck to an cheaper helmet mounted display. when the HRL forces got there GN-X units they operated them with the same helmet but with the video cable disconected and the display flipped up. the Terien's in use in s2 with the execption of the Taozi still use those helmets. the HRL intended by the next gen model to switch to the big screen TV type of cockpit.
SonicSP

DAG101 wrote:Okay, I recently (As in, a couple hours ago) finished off the first season of 00. Quite possibly one of the best shows I've ever seen (right up there with Breaking Bad and Avatar: The Last Airbender) but one thing bothered me.

What was with the weird helmets the HRL's Teiren pilots wore? They looked like they just made it HARDER to see...
Good luck for S2, its very different some people don't like it as much.

In any case, the helmets are cheaper and likely easier to install and everything is displayed on your screen. In addition, likely less cockpit space is needed and maintaining a helmet screen is likely easier and cheaper. The downside is, your going to need a working helmet to use the MS at all times, which is hardly a problem in a military setting but for those kids who hijacked MS with very little special clothing or in super emergency, going to be a bit hard if there isn't one in there.

The helmets however will need some special programs to ensure that the visual showed is relative to where the pilot us looking, but that shouldnt be much of a problem.
Wingnut

SonicSP wrote:The helmets however will need some special programs to ensure that the visual showed is relative to where the pilot us looking, but that shouldnt be much of a problem.
Real world attack helicopter gunners have a gadget in their helmet that points the chaingun wherever they are looking. It shouldn't be much of a stretch to have the MS cameras do the same thing.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Compass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmet_mou ... lay_System

They've reached the point where you no longer need the physical HUD. Goes right in the helmet and displays info. I do believe that there is tech that allows you to "see through" the plane that is being developed now. It's definitely within current technological reach for even our standards.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
azrael

Compass wrote: I do believe that there is tech that allows you to "see through" the plane that is being developed now. It's definitely within current technological reach for even our standards.
It is definitely within reach, BUT (yes, there's always a but) the hard part is making it cheap enough to mass produce, which is the problem. It has to be viable enough for the pilot to use effectively (i.e. hours of training), it has to withstand punishment, you have to write software to overlay data to the pilot, etc.. This takes money, which as it is, cost too much compared to conventional means.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Compass

azrael wrote:
Compass wrote: I do believe that there is tech that allows you to "see through" the plane that is being developed now. It's definitely within current technological reach for even our standards.
It is definitely within reach, BUT (yes, there's always a but) the hard part is making it cheap enough to mass produce, which is the problem. It has to be viable enough for the pilot to use effectively (i.e. hours of training), it has to withstand punishment, you have to write software to overlay data to the pilot, etc.. This takes money, which as it is, cost too much compared to conventional means.
Pffft, just make a single one give it to some teenager with a training manual a prototype mobile suit and look at em go :roll:

---

I dunno, all these nifty Kinects and Wiis and Eyecams already seem to do most of those things for us!

Cost issues aside, the biggest hurdle appears to be integrating all those switches and buttons on the actual cockpit into a helmet system.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex