High Mega Cannon power rating

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ZeonsSilverStar

High Mega Cannon power rating

In the DWG games the ZZ's high mega cannon is said to be equivalent in power to a colony laser used at 20% power. With the High Mega Cannon having a power rating of 50MW is this an accurate comparison?
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Wingnut

Re: High Mega Cannon power rating

I highly doubt it. Even if there was no output rating given for the ZZ's HMC, I would not believe the 20% of a colony laser power rating. 20% of a battleship's main gun I can easily see, but not a colony laser.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
balofo

Isn't the Argama's New Hyper Mega Particle cannon(added in ZZ) the one comparable to the Colony Laser?
toysdream

The "1/5 as powerful as the colony laser" claim comes from the old kit manuals, so there's at least some basis for it. And if the Argama's new cannon is comparable to the colony laser, then it's five times as powerful as the ZZ's high mega cannon, which doesn't seem too unreasonable. Maybe the best way to rationalize it would be to say that the ZZ's cannon delivers one-fifth the punch of the colony laser over a given area, with the colony laser beam being of course much wider.

Another data point to consider: In the penultimate episode of the Zeta TV series, Char sweeps through Haman's Gaza C forces with his mega bazooka launcher. In the movie version, this attack is credited to the colony laser, carrying out a test firing at low power (with Char's launcher serving as a decoy). This suggests that a low-power colony laser shot is almost identical to a mega bazooka launcher blast, which in turn should be comparable to the ZZ's head cannon.

-- Mark
ZeonsSilverStar

Alright thanks for putting everything into perspective Mark. This had been bothering me for awhile and I didn't know if that particular bit from the DWG profile was trustworthy.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
HalfDemonInuyasha

And we also can't forget that that same profile says that it's only that powerful "at peak output" which I'd guess would be like when he put all it had against Haman to the point that the area on the head around the cannon itself melted or something.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet