Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Discussion » Mecha and Technology

Post subject: Exploits of the Aqua GM?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:11 pm 
Retconned MSV Ace

I searched both "Aqua GM" and "RAG-79" without finding satisfactory results, so forgive me if I overlooked something.

The Aqua GM is one of those tangential MSV, but is there any hard information on the unit's deployment in the OYW or operations where it saw use? I've heard that the Great Mechanics Amphibious MS book talked about the Aqua GM itself being used for sinking subs more so than combating amphibious MS. However, I'm under the impression that the Feds preferred using anti-submarine warfare with conventional hardware to handle Zeon's aquatic forces.

So that leads back to the initial question; do we have any idea where the units were and what they were doing?

I thank you for indulging my curiosity.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 pm 
Elitist Earth Politician

The Aqua GM is originally from the M-MSV collection by Kunio Okawara and published in sd club magazine and the series was like MSV-R is now with the msv units being introduced in the form of "Freedom of Information Act amendments" the design was updated by Hajime Katoki to add it to the "harmony of gundam" list of approved ms units in the extended universe. the most we have is an paragraph in it's mahq profile.
Quote:
The RAG-79 Aqua GM is an aquatic mobile suit developed by the Earth Federation during the One Year War to oppose Principality of Zeon's aquatic mobile suits. The Aqua GM is equipped with several armaments, including torpedo pods, a missile launcher and beam picks. Because the unit's development is rushed, an RGM-79 GM is used for the base frame. The rushed development leads to several problems, such as pressure resistance and air-tightness. This causes the performance for the Aqua GM to be very low. Due to the difficulties in opposing the Zeon aquatic mobile suits, production is stopped with only a few units produced.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 pm 
Retconned MSV Ace

Yes, I'm aware of what the Aqua GM is. I'm asking if there's any other info, tucked away in other books and whatnot.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:25 am 
Mysterious Masked Dude

Homeless wrote:

So that leads back to the initial question; do we have any idea where the units were and what they were doing?

In that Amphibious MS book, it says it's stationed mostly along the coast of Dakar, the mouth of the Amazon and any important strategic locations on the seas . It would also participate in "Zeon Submarine Hunts" with the regular fleets

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:44 am 
Retconned MSV Ace

Aha, thanks much.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:53 am 
HiMAT Spammer

flamingtroll wrote:
Homeless wrote:

In that Amphibious MS book, it says it's stationed mostly along the coast of Dakar, the mouth of the Amazon and any important strategic locations on the seas . It would also participate in "Zeon Submarine Hunts" with the regular fleets

Other MSV references said the Aqua GM was primarily a submarine hunter. This would have been an unsung but important role. There was no need for a specific anti-MSM unit, since regular GM types could fight the Zeon sea trolls whenever they appeared on land. Specifically hunting the U-cruiser transports who had sunk most of the EFF wet navy units was a needed step in guaranteeing the safety of any major facility located near the coast. (Long list, there....)

Actual tactics have not been forthcoming, but they can be extrapolated from the Atlantic Front of WW II, or the works of Tom Clancy, modified for OYW conditions. (The UC 0081 game has marine scenarios, but I have not played the game, so I cannot cite them.) The Aqua GM units would have shared hunting duties with aerial units, avoiding useless deep-water searches in favor of intensive patrols inside specified major threat zones. U-cruisers spotted in the threat zones would have been attacked as early as possible, to keep them from launching MS or missiles at coastal targets. Submerged submarines would have been repeatedly attacked in order to get a confirmed kill, or force them to a depth to make evasion replace attack as a mission. Even a damaged Jukon that limped away at a depth of 1,000 meters could be considered a victory, since the submarine would have to return to base, with the crew waging a life-and-death struggle against the unforgiving sea. (An even worse situation than a critically damaged Musai, since a depressurized spaceship could be kept operational long enough to reach port. A submarine that lost hull pressure would be quickly sunk.)

As to the overall effect of the Aqua GM and the related-use Guncannon, the results are more clear. Sources state that only 10 of the mighty Jukon types survived as belligerents following the close of the One Year War, so the Aqua GM seems to have done its duty, sort of like the Lockheed Hudson of the UC MS. :)

I am Ral-san, enthusiast of Zeon MS, maker of Zeon gunpla, encouraging mentor of younger fans, and an admirer of mature beauty.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:52 pm 
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

Zeonista wrote:
As to the overall effect of the Aqua GM and the related-use Guncannon, the results are more clear. Sources state that only 10 of the mighty Jukon types survived as belligerents following the close of the One Year War, so the Aqua GM seems to have done its duty, sort of like the Lockheed Hudson of the UC MS. :)

Can you please specify which are these sources?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:44 pm 
Mecha Flunky

Gelgoog Jager wrote:
Zeonista wrote:

Can you please specify which are these sources?

Yeah were's the source on that?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:18 pm 
HiMAT Spammer

Unfortunately no, since all I have is the note in my RPG notebook here. I made mention of the fact because we had a toysdream citation to that effect while discussing MSM and submarines in an earlier topic. I checked the topic backlog here, but didn't find one I remembered. Since Mark's quote is usually good enough for me, I just made a note of it and went on.

I am Ral-san, enthusiast of Zeon MS, maker of Zeon gunpla, encouraging mentor of younger fans, and an admirer of mature beauty.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:52 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

I'm not sure how helpful this will be but there was another amphibious GM the GM Sloop and there was also a Gundam Marine that was based off of Aqua GM but intend for ace pilots. I know those aren't the MS you're looking but if you can find information on them it might mention the Aqua GM as well.
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/m-msv/rag-79-g1.htm
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msv-r/rgm-79u.htm

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:48 pm 
Retconned MSV Ace

I'm familiar with both, but thank you. I appreciate it.

Since the thread's still going, here's the Aqua GM/Waterproof Gundam pages from the Amphibious MS book just if anyone else wanted a look:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2844/docu0066.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2061/docu0067.jpg
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9617/docu0068.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8980/docu0069.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:29 am 
Bald Wizard

Homeless wrote:
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9617/docu0068.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8980/docu0069.jpg

What's the story behind these illustrations? They're obviously quite different from the original M-MSV lineart.

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:42 am 
HiMAT Spammer

These books have been standardising lineart style across the board so that readers won't find weird comparing Okawara's with that of Izubuchi, Katoki and others.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:46 pm 
AEUG Slapping Boy

Interesting, I rather like it. What's the exact title on this book? And is it part of a series?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:55 pm 
Retconned MSV Ace

This is it:
http://www.animebooks.com/grmeprammosu.html

There's a few others like it, I know of GM and Zaku-centric ones.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:08 pm 
AEUG Slapping Boy

Great Mechanic presents, eh? I'll have to look at those sometime. Thanks. That standardized lineart is nice and clean.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:22 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

Homeless I came across one other Federation MS worth mentioning it's an aqustic version of the Ball called the RB-79N Fisheye.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msiglo ... rb-79n.htm

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:03 pm 
OMG Doomsday Laser

Jp wiki says the Aqua GM was supposed to appear on the 1st OVA of the 0800 anime.

Board index » Discussion » Mecha and Technology