A Question about the Colonies

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Scorpius7692

A Question about the Colonies

Where do they get their water from? I understand where they get food and stuff, but what about water?
Fear the power of the skirted suit. Fear it.
Sabersonic

Re: A Question about the Colonies

I can only assume that they got the water from the same place they got the raw materiel for their construction: moon rocks. Possibly taking the basic elements, oxygen and hydrogen, from the rocks and combine them into everyone's favorite molecule. And even if that's not the case,there have been reports of water ice in the shaded regions of polar craters.
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
Brave Fencer Kirby

They presumably imported it from somewhere (either Earth or a wide variety of sources in space -- ice isn't hard to find floating around the solar system) during the construction of the colony, and they just keep reusing it. The colony environment is a closed system, after all.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Scorpius7692

Thanks to both of you. It was just a question that hit me one day.

I now have a really big respect for space rocks now. You can make anything out of them. Colonies. Mobile suits. Starships. Everything.
Fear the power of the skirted suit. Fear it.
Black Knight

Even planets, if you get enough of them together.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well there is water ice on the moon but certainly no where near enough for even one colony. The best way, as you said, would be to extract hydrogen and oxygen from moon rocks and/or go get it off of asteroids.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Izayuukan

There's more fresh water on Ceres than on Earth. It's all frozen, but that just makes it easier to mine and transport. Also, Ceres has less gravity than the Moon, making it even easier to transport materials from Ceres to the colony construction sites.

Edit: Well, there may be a fresh-water ocean underneath the surface. Maybe. But still, water is water, and you'd think it would be easy to extract no matter what the form.