Any idea of "Rick" and "Geara" name meanings/origins?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
jjohns36

Any idea of "Rick" and "Geara" name meanings/origins?

Hey guys. I am new to the forum, but not to Gundam. I have read through many threads and come to the conclusion that researching Gundam and mobile suit history is something that you are skilled at, and I would like to join the conversation.

I have one question that comes to mind about a couple of mobile suit naming conventions. Do any of you know what the "Rick" and "Geara" designations on mobile suits relate to? Are Rick Doms and Rick Dias just named that because the creators needed a name, or is Rick some sort of acronym for their space capability?

I was also wondering about the Geara portion of the Geara Doga and Geara Zulu suit names. My first reaction is that it might have some foreign language links, but I have yet to discover anything concrete. I appreciate whatever assistance you all can provide me with, and look forward to the replies.
"If I fail from executing this strategim, then clearly heaven is not on my side. I won't fail." -Anavel Gato
toysdream

Re: Any idea of "Rick" and "Geara" name meanings/origins?

I don't know about "Geara", but "Rick" was originally short for "Remake" according to Sunrise staff. So it basically just means "improved".

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

Interestingly, the Space Type Maganac introduced in Gundam Wars V was also called "Rick Maganac": I guess someone along the line decided it meant "space" (probably based that assumption off of the Dom).
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
jjohns36

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info!
"If I fail from executing this strategim, then clearly heaven is not on my side. I won't fail." -Anavel Gato
JEFFPIATT

Rick basically means the suit was remade to space use spec from an earth only frame.
Geara seems to be like zaku it just sounds cool.
Ryujin

Don't know about its actual etymology at Sunrise, but Kazuhisa Kondoh implies, in the title of his Dogs of War manga, that Geara was a corruption of 'Guerra.' The manga focused on a Geara Doga team dropped on Earth in the lead-up before CCA.
AmuroNT1

I assume you mean "guerrilla"?
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

"Guerra" is Spanish for "war". "Guerilla" is a diminutive version of that - basically, "little war".

Guerra isn't really pronounced much like "Geara", though, so I think Kondoh is just freelancing with that one. :-)

-- Mark
KVLTIST

Kondo loves his military history, if his illustration style is any indication, so he probably threw that in as a little aside. I'd agree with Toysdream that the original meaning was not to reference Guerra, I think its probably just a made up word like "Gelgoog" and they only brought it back in Unicorn for the Geara Zulu to reference CCA.
KVLTIST KVSTMS