Before the Beam Magnum there was the Gallus J's Energy Gun.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
balofo

Before the Beam Magnum there was the Gallus J's Energy Gun.

Nice trivia I came across: sometime ago on the jp wiki description of the RX-0 Beam Magnum they mentioned the Gallus J's Energy Gun as inspiration for the one shot/one e-cap mechanism. It never occurred to me until I saw the illustration on the 1/144 model's manual, showing the e-cap being ejected thru a gate mechanism. The Gallus J's profile on jp wiki mentions this function, but it doesn't cite the source. Therefore, the MAHQ profile is wrong, since the Energy Gun doesn't hold Missiles, instead they are e-caps.

manual: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/10039672ak.jpg/

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%8D% ... .E3.82.B9J
Gelgoog Jager

Re: Before the Beam Magnum there was the Gallus J's Energy G

That's very interesting. I always thought that the Gallus J Energy Gun was a very odd weapon since the the missile launcher would be an extra weight that would make aiming the weapon more difficult, even after firing all missiles and especially if attempted to be held with a single hand.

Although unlikely, I wonder if its firepower its supposedly comparable to the Unicorn's Beam Magnum, which might justify the odd layout of the weapon which seems to require to be held with both hands to be aimed properly. That said, it does seem a rather unfitting weapon for a MS that is supposed to be used in urban combat and mop-up operations.

Either way, IIRC the only time the Gallus J are seen using that weapon is in episode 34, when some Gallus J support the remaining Bawoo's from Arias Morma team in order to repel Puru's attack on the Sandra using the Gundam Mk II. At that time, the energy gun seemed to be just as powerful as a regular beam rifle.
bilbros

Apparently, the error of considering that part of the energy gun as a missile pod dates back at least to the very first edition of MS Encyclopedia (published in 1998), where the art of the weapon at issue is presented together with a caption saying "missile pod". And this same error has been "copy/pasted" though the years on subsequent editions and other sources as well. Only from the 2006 edition of MS Illustrated onwards it has been replaced by the most proper "energy gun".
By the way, the only missile pods of the AMX-101 are those installed on the chest, near the shoulders (as already indicated by the text of the original 1/144 kit instructions).
balofo

yeah, I even asked Mark, but I guess not even he knows the source used by the jp wiki. Still this info stands.
Mark064

The error is significantly older then that. In EB3 from 1989 the gun is presented exactly the same, as a missile pod.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
bilbros

:oops: Oops...actually, I was referring to the 1988 (i.e. the true publlishing year of the earliest MS Encylcopedia in the B-Club Special series), not 1998...