I-Field Beam Drive System

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
AscendedAlteran

I-Field Beam Drive System

Were we ever given an official description of how the Turn A's "I-Field Beam Drive System" is supposed to work and what the advantages of it were?
Arsarcana

Re: I-Field Beam Drive System

Taken straight from MAHQ's profile:
The Turn A's main propulsion is provided by an I-field Beam Drive System, which leaves the suit completely hollow and allows it to be filled with extra armaments and rocket thrusters.
Basically, the joints are moved by the field rather than by an internal frame. That means less mass to haul around, more free space in the limbs and torso to cram other useful stuff into and reduced friction when everything moves. Oh, and an integrated I-Field barrier by definition.
yazi88

Isn't the same system or at least a very similar system used by GPB-X80-30F Beginning 30 Gundam from Gunpla Builder's?
AscendedAlteran

Arsarcana wrote:Basically, the joints are moved by the field rather than by an internal frame. That means less mass to haul around, more free space in the limbs and torso to cram other useful stuff into and reduced friction when everything moves. Oh, and an integrated I-Field barrier by definition.
So is it just for controlling the suit's movement (like an AMBAC), or can it also be used for thrust? Does the Turn A need conventional thrusters for that, or does the Beam Drive take care of that as well?
Kuruni

Just think of it as more advance version of Minovsky Drive without Wing of Light effect. Alternately, the GN Drive propulsion system..

And nope, none of MS using this system has rocket thruster.
My girlfriend was a loli.
toysdream

Kuruni wrote:And nope, none of MS using this system has rocket thruster.
But the Turn A and SUMO do have thrusters - both machines have them in their legs, and the SUMO has a backpack as well. As far as I know, the I-Field Beam Drive is just used to move the mobile suit's own body, not for propulsion, and so it's not really anything like the Minovsky Drive or GN Drive at all.

-- Mark
Kuruni

*facepalm* My memory is slippy, guess it's time to see doctor...

Thank you for correction, Mark-san.
My girlfriend was a loli.
stormturmoil

Basically, think of the Turn-A's body as being like a Marionette:
instead of wires or rods, though, the shape of the external I-field is used to provide force against the limbs

The External I-Field hugs the hull like an exoskeleton on an insect; When you issue the command to move, say, a leg, the I-Field in that area is projected to move forwards; that pushes against the leg, the leg responds by moving forwards like it's being puppeted by the I-field, pivoting at the hip, and so moving forwards and up. Once the movement is complete, the I-Field locks solid again until another command issued.

Try Grabbing your own trousers at the knee and lifting up to move your leg: your trousers are taking the place of the I-Field, your arm is the I-Field Generator applying force to move the field, your leg is simply puppeted along with your trouser leg