The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk I

Another pink UE mech? Perhaps Yurin does survive?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
PowerdGNFlag

It will probably be Yurin's mech for the Ambat battle. If it was just a Gafran/Zedas recolor we should have seen it ages ago. The other... thing... which reminds me of Big Zam for some reason, might be another ace UE machine.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
SonicSP

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Another pink UE mech? Perhaps Yurin does survive?
Either that or it's just another woman's MS.
DuelGundam2099

Welcome back, Correl , as if this series isn't already X-ish enough.
Evex

Well with episode 14 of Gundam Age we finally see the cockpit of the UE mobile suits. If the location for the cockpit is the same as in Yurin's suit, then it should be in the head for the Gafran, Baqto and Zedas. Speaking of the Zedas we see that it does have the Gafran's hand guns and beam saber. This makes the Zedas more of a high mobility commanders model, when compared to the other UE suits.
SonicSP

I think we saw the Zedas use the double Vulcans as early as episode 2 with the beam saber mode for those in the opening.

It's finally nice to see all the UE people preparing their suits while inside their HQ and all. Their pilot suits are awesome as well.
domino

How did the Zalam and Euba suits get beam (Dots?) rifles and beam sabers? Is the AGE system working in overdrive to produce these weapons or did they get them from the engineer guy? (he made them for the G-Exes afterall)
Evex

The beam rifle the Genoace, Gala, Zeno, and Elmeda are using are from the AGE device. I say this because its design is shorter then the normal DOTS rifle used by the Gundam Age Normal. The targeting reticule is also on top of the beam rifle like the DOTS rifle. The G-Exes targeting reticule/sight is on the side of the rifle. The beam sabers probably came from Madorna, since the Age-1 only use beam knives. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if with the proper data the Age-1 came up with its own type of beam saber.
Homeless

The AGE-1's melee weapons have variable length blades, and it has used them as beam sabers several times during the series.

The beam rifle being used by the Diva forces is the DODS Rifle with a different barrel attachment than the Gundam's. One presumes that the new beam weapons were built by the Diva crew/Maddorna Workshop during the two week timeskip at Minsry, given that they entered used immediately after.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Arbiter GUNDAM

I'm actually kind of mad that the Titus armor has been kinda under-used for this whole arc. It's got a lot of interesting weapons but sadly...
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
nacho-wan

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm actually kind of mad that the Titus armor has been kinda under-used for this whole arc. It's got a lot of interesting weapons but sadly...
At least it went in a bang! LOL
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
domino

The Titus armour was created specifically to give the AGE Gundam an edge in one-on-one melee combat which led to it having no ranged weapons at all. That, and the fact that the Spallow armour was created because a situation arose which the Titus couldn't handle, then it only makes sense to depend on the Spallow since it's basically an upgrade to the Titus.

I think it was very smart to use the Titus as they did ie break through the UE rear defence
SonicSP

I'm not a big fan of the Titus because I believe it's impractical in very open spaces but I have to say I was excited to see it coming into Ambat because of the combat spaces might be tight but was a bit sad to see it just there to open the door and destroy only a few grunts. Felt like the damage that disabled it was a bit cheap and sudden.

I disagree that Spallow is the "upgrade" of Titus though, it's just made to counter a different situation. Though I really think th Spallow is the better and effective armor by far.
Dark Duel

The reason for that is that apparently the Titus is slow, which is absolutely ridiculous for a CQC mobile suit - though it's got a ton of power behind its attacks. It's meant to smash things, and it does it well enough. It's probably also meant to be able to tank enemy attacks without taking much damage, so its armor is undoubtedly really, REALLY thick.
The Spallow, on the other hand, doesn't have a whole lot of brute strength, but it is absurdly fast and it has a really, really sharp short sword. So while I do think that it can't absorb much damage, it's not meant to - it's meant to dodge like crazy, run circles around enemy machines, get up in their face and hack them to pieces.
So it seems more effective - and it is - because it's crazy fast, which is helpful when your specialty is close-quarters combat.

If I had to make a comic book comparison, Titus is The Thing, while Spallow is basically The Flash with a sword.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

Yes, it's slowness is totally mismatched with it's attack method, which is close combat. Hell I would argue that it it needs a ranged weapon more than the Spallow, which did get one. I certainly wish the AGE System was a bit forward thinking with the design as opposed to have created it purely for the Baqto; I know the Spallow is more versatile in it's offensive capabilities, even if it's limited to just one weapon versus the Titus's many beam spikes. It doesn't even need to be it's specialty, just as backup for it's biggest weakness.

I think the problem can be solved by having the AGE System designing and updating designs as they go, and in essence becoming a true evolution of the variants; kind of like how it made the DODS for the Normal, ultimately turning it into a killing machine with that one equipment. If Spallow and Titus can be updated to to become more versatile and stronger but time and direction will not allow it. The variants by themselves are struggling for screentime as it is, letalone having them being updated. I don't think the G-Exes helped Titus' image idea seeing as it's a general purpose design that can take care of the specialized armored Baqto rather easily.

I think the Titus will probably work better in a specialized team setting rather than alone, like if it was the main tanker absorbing the damage for the team and handling anyone that dates to come close, as opposed to solo. It might also be good for smashing a slow or still thing really really really hard if needed but that's basically it.
Calubin_175

The Spallow being an agile unit relies on the blade's cutting power for offense, while the Titus would win in terms of a raw power struggle.

If it was a GM Light Armor clashing swords with a Zaku, the Zaku could force its lightweight opponent off balance by applying more kinetic force.

So if there was an enemy that the Spallow couldn't cut, then it may require the Titus to smash it.
nacho-wan

SonicSP wrote:...I have to say I was excited to see it coming into Ambat because of the combat spaces might be tight but was a bit sad to see it just there to open the door and destroy only a few grunts....
Oh but seeing said grunts drop their rifles and stare in mecha-fear of the charging Titus was worth it.

Titus was an evolutionary dead-end. The Age system is not infallible, so it is prone to make error as such. Aside from G Gundam and similar super robot shows, very few mechas can benefit from strong armor and overwhelming close combat maneuvers.
In settings like AGE, maneuverability and firepower are more practical.

Besides close combat is overrated. True it makes for more epic show, but realistically you would prefer to blow your foes from afar.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Geoxile

While it's not likely that Sparrow is an upgrade of Titus per se... I think one could argue that we see some influence from the Titus simply in that the Sparrow ended up being more melee focused with only a ranged subweapon. The Titus did seem somewhat useless though... I'm a bit surprised the AGE system didn't simply create a high power cannon for the AGE but instead created brand new limbs that can shroud themselves in energy. But I guess that's just the marketing at work.
Sume Gai

A Giant Cannon would have been -far- too dangerous inside a colony. As I see it the Titus made sense to the Age System as a weapon for fighting heavy foes inside a fragile area. In confined spaces where you want to avoid collateral damage something like the Titus makes the most sense. Unfortunately as we soon learn it's too specialized for it's own good and cannot fight effectively in space.

I think it would have done well inside Armbat where combat is most likely to get very close and the ability to turn any part of your body into a devastating weapon would be most useful. Unfortunately that was one tough door...
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
nacho-wan

Sume Gai wrote:A Giant Cannon would have been -far- too dangerous inside a colony. As I see it the Titus made sense to the Age System as a weapon for fighting heavy foes inside a fragile area. In confined spaces where you want to avoid collateral damage something like the Titus makes the most sense. Unfortunately as we soon learn it's too specialized for it's own good and cannot fight effectively in space.
.. thus the age system should upgrade the titus with ranged weaponary for space usage. Heck, even a rope-type of weapon like the drill wip from Crossbone or a chain weapon would have helped to drag fast moving enemies into melee.
-Henry I. Miller