The Official Gundam Unicorn Mecha Thread Mk II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Calubin_175

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Mecha Thread Mk II

In light of the new information provided in the MG Delta Plus manual, it turns out that the Delta Plus was developed in UC 0090, aiming for an all purpose attack fighter that was capable of atmospheric re-entry. It was not merely a machine based on the operation data of the Hyakushiki with transformation aspects updated, but it was also installed with a bio-sensor. However, the bio-sensor did not really have an improved effect on "normal pilots", and it was a few steps behind compared to the Neo Zeon bio-sensors.

Though its waverider form was not intended to be utilised as an SFS, its abundant thrust would make it suitable to function as one in an 1G environment. A number of these Delta Plus's were manufactured with one being recorded as having been assigned to Londo Bell in 0096 as a replenishment machine.

I suppose, its all purpose attribute is in contrast to the Zeta Plus A1/C1 that could only achieve optimal performance on either Earth or in space. With the ineffectiveness of the bio-sensor, that was probably the reason why it wasn't adopted on the Re-Gz.

The model kit doesn't have a place to store extra e-packs unlike the ReZEL so I guess with its reactor output, it can recharge the e-pack internally.
balofo

calubin what about the beam saber functioning as beam guns in MA mode, also it seems the 2 beam sabers can be used while still attached to the shield, even in MA mode.
toysdream

Interesting! Technically, the wording in the kit manual seems to be saying that the Federation Forces requested its development in U.C. 0090, so it's not clear when it was actually completed. Interestingly, this was the same year the Londo Bell was formed, so perhaps the Delta Plus and the Re-GZ were intended for the Londo Bell all along? It's hard to see who else would need all these fancy capabilities.

-- Mark
flamingtroll

balofo wrote:calubin what about the beam saber functioning as beam guns in MA mode, also it seems the 2 beam sabers can be used while still attached to the shield, even in MA mode.
There is already a build in cannon inside the shield, not sure if there is a point in the sabers being cannons too. I have seen a picture of the sabers being used when they are still inside the shield as "shield saber" type weapon though.
balofo

flamingtroll wrote:
balofo wrote:calubin what about the beam saber functioning as beam guns in MA mode, also it seems the 2 beam sabers can be used while still attached to the shield, even in MA mode.
There is already a build in cannon inside the shield, not sure if there is a point in the sabers being cannons too. I have seen a picture of the sabers being used when they are still inside the shield as "shield saber" type weapon though.
the beam gun function is mentioned in the HG manual, in EXtreme VS. arcade game the shield beam sabers ram is an attack in MA mode
Calubin_175

Yes, the the beam saber hilts while being docked in the shield can function as beam guns or sabers.

Reagrding the progress of mass producing Zeta TMS's, it seems to be characterised by slowly deviating from the original Zeta frame stage by stage. The Zeta Plus already uses Hyakushiki wings and its subsequent cousin, the Delta Plus, just revisits the entire Delta frame with some feedback. Next we have the Re-Gz which utilises a non transformable Zeta frame and it is based on the Zeta Plus R. Ultimately, we have the ReZEL which reverts back to using the Methuss frame.

There are essentially three parallel lines of development:
Zeta to Re-Gz (through Zeta Plus)
Delta to Delta Plus (with feedback from the z plus)
Methuss to ReZEL (incorporating the cancelled ZII)
Calubin_175

There seems to be no mention of the Delta Plus having 2 generators situated in its legs, unlike the Zeta Gundam and ReZEL. It did mention that there aren't any thrusters on its back as most of it are located in the lower torso area. Its speed is more emphasised than its armor strength, hence the exposed frames on its legs.
balofo

funnily enough I was looking at the Jesta lineart and noticed it has 6 hand grenades(useless, never used in anime) on the hips, in one arm THREE energy caps(same as Stark Jegan, which carries SIX) and only ONE beam saber on the other arm(and it doesn't even function as a Beam Tonfa). That's a really bad weapon loadout for a Special Forces MS.
flamingtroll

balofo wrote:funnily enough I was looking at the Jesta lineart and noticed it has 6 hand grenades(useless, never used in anime) on the hips, in one arm THREE energy caps(same as Stark Jegan, which carries SIX) and only ONE beam saber on the other arm(and it doesn't even function as a Beam Tonfa). That's a really bad weapon loadout for a Special Forces MS.
I think after the anime iteration, the pack holster seems to have become reactive armor instead. It doesn't make much sense to have the packs when it's using a GM III rifle. I think the Jesta Cannon shield has the beam saber attached instead.
balofo

flamingtroll wrote:
balofo wrote:funnily enough I was looking at the Jesta lineart and noticed it has 6 hand grenades(useless, never used in anime) on the hips, in one arm THREE energy caps(same as Stark Jegan, which carries SIX) and only ONE beam saber on the other arm(and it doesn't even function as a Beam Tonfa). That's a really bad weapon loadout for a Special Forces MS.
I think after the anime iteration, the pack holster seems to have become reactive armor instead. It doesn't make much sense to have the packs when it's using a GM III rifle. I think the Jesta Cannon shield has the beam saber attached instead.

The Jesta's Beam carbine is actually a modified Jegan one. so the e-caps make sense, also we don't really know where the Jesta Cannon carries its beam saber, since the e-cap is still on the same arm as the normal Jesta.

Also it seems those white armor plates on the Jesta Cannon's shoulders are actually hidden missile launchers, I've seen this mention somewhere...
flamingtroll

balofo wrote: The Jesta's Beam carbine is actually a modified Jegan one. so the e-caps make sense, also we don't really know where the Jesta Cannon carries its beam saber, since the e-cap is still on the same arm as the normal Jesta.
I was referring to the six e-pacs for the Stark Jegan you mentioned. While they looked like e-pacs, I think they are just reactive armor pieces now. Stark Jegan is shown to be with a GM III rifle most of the time. So far they haven't done a very good job in making a consistently sized e-cap for the Jegan/ReZel/Jesta rifles for the models.
Geoxile

When was the Jesta animated? I must've missed it?
Gelgoog Jager

The official Unicorn site has been updated with profiles for the:

EF:
MSA-005K Guncannon Detector
RAG-79 Aqua GM
RMS-179 GM II
RGM-86R GM III
RGM-96X Jesta

Zeon:
AMS-129M Zee Zulu
RMS-192M Zaku Mariner

Both the GM II and GM III have a regular color scheme and a desert color scheme.

Edit: Just checked the profiles in english and the Zaku Mariner's has some interesting info:

An amphibious mobile suit with a complicated history. Originally created by the Zeon forces, it was captured and upgraded by the Earth Federation Forces, and then recaptured by Neo Zeon. It is currently used by Zeon remnants.
Geoxile

Wow, huge error for the Guncannon Detector and the Aqua GM. The Guncannon DT is described as the Aqua GM and the Aqua GM gets the description for the Jesta. Amazing job on quality control there Bandai.
toysdream

Geoxile wrote:Wow, huge error for the Guncannon Detector and the Aqua GM. The Guncannon DT is described as the Aqua GM and the Aqua GM gets the description for the Jesta. Amazing job on quality control there Bandai.
I already let them know about the mixup, and it should be fixed in the next update on August 28. I assume that you've never, ever made a copy-and-paste error on a Web site, and so you're fully justified in complaining about the quality control. :-\

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

toysdream wrote: I already let them know about the mixup, and it should be fixed in the next update on August 28.

-- Mark
Also, the heading of the GM II says RGM-86R, instead of RGM-79R/RMS-179 (though RMS-179 is correctly indicated below).

By the way, Mark, do you know if they will eventually add profiles for:

Episode 1:
-Clop class (only mentioned)

Episode 2:
-Irish class
-Columbus Kai/Antietam class

Episode 3:
-AMX-003 Gaza C
-Endra class
-Musai Kai class
-Musaka class

Some other minor things seen on episode 3 that might doesn't necessarilty need a profile, but could also be added:
-D-50C Loto with twin long cannons
-D-50C Loto with mega machine cannon
-Geara Doga Commander Type (with antenna)
-Geara Zulu Commander Type (with antenna)
-Geara Zulu Gilboa Sant Custom
-Geara Zulu Guard Type Cuaron Custom
-Mindra (Endra class)
-Shackles (sub-flight system)
-Unnamed shuttle (used by Alberto to transport Marida to Earth).

Finally, there's also what could to be a couple of Pazocks docked at Palau:
-One seen from below.
-One upside down seen from an angle.
Calubin_175

I couldn't make much out of the new I.D.T.C article of the Dra-C. It mentioned some sensor improvements and possessing a patrol role. There is a rationale behind the color scheme, but the text is too small to read. Its maintainability could be compared to that of a one-off machine like the Kshatriya, as there aren't much spare parts available given that it is an obsolete model.
J-Lead

"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Red Comet90

I took this information with a grain of salt, but I saw that the Proto Sinanju was put up on Gundam Wikia. To make things worse they put that fan-art up. Now I was curious if there was any truth to what the article on Gundam Wikia said. It mentioned the Proto Sinanju was used to help complete the NT-D system and that the Sleeves eventually stole it.

Is there any truth to that or is it just fan speculation?
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Muser

Red Comet90 wrote:It mentioned the Proto Sinanju was used to help complete the NT-D system and that the Sleeves eventually stole it.

Is there any truth to that or is it just fan speculation?
Yeah, the wikia tends to present to a lot of assumptions, gossip, and theories as fact. Legitimacy issues aside, Alberto tries to dissuade the Nahel Arghama's crew from engaging the Sinanju in episode two by warning them that its data was used to create the Unicorn. That's a little vague, but the official English website fleshes out more of an explanation. It says that the suit's "movable frame is partly made from psycho-frame materials, and the improved responsiveness and strength data obtained with this machine was later used to complete the Unicorn Gundam."

I've always taken this to mean that the Unicorn takes everything that Anaheim threw into the Sinanju and squeezes it into a Gundamized body, topping it all off by expanding its interior from a partial to full psycho-frame. This would make the Sinanju a bigger, bulkier version of Unicorn to some extent; maybe a missing link between it and the Nu Gundam. It's Sazabi comparisons are accentuated more by just its mono-eye and red paint scheme than its weaponry or other physical traits. Char's last ride was hefty, while Full Frontal's is comparatively slim and trim. As for the NT-D, I think that's a separate beast altogether, and totally unique to the Unicorn. Though, Full Frontal does seem very well informed about its capabilities. I don't know if any model kit manuals or series source books have anything to say about that. Translations (and citations!) anyone?

Just as an aside, there was another 'original' Sinanju done by a model builder for Hobby magazine's custom Gunpla section awhile ago. It had a closer resemblence to the schematic that the fearmongering Alberto shows the Nahel Arghama's crew, lacking the squad leader antennae, Zeonesque shoulder spikes, and austintacious Sleeves trim that Full Frontal favours. If I were to indulge in my own mad speculation, I'd make more of a connection between it and the Gerbera Tetra than the Sazabi.