Gundam Wing Mechanics Questions

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Xiphas

Re: Gundam Wing Mechanics Questions

Does the Tallgeese III's mega cannon have multiple firing modes? In the movie, I can only recall it being used once to take out the asteroid base. But I was just thinking, it would be dumb if the only ranged weapon on it was something you would have to charge up to full power. The mega cannon as a whole would be more useful if it had a rapid fire mode or something.

EDIT: According to Gundam Wiki:
According to the Gundam Wing Encyclopedia, the Tallgeese III is fitted with an interface system similar to the ZERO System.
Is this true?
HalfDemonInuyasha

The mega cannon seemed pretty similar to the Wing Gundam's and Wing Gundam Zero's buster rifles, so I wouldn't be surprised if the beam's width could be changed around a bit (if only for convenience, lol). Then again, perhaps that it can't is why Zech's never used it against any of the Serpents on Earth; it'd just be too powerful and end up killing people.

Dunno about the 2nd bit though. Anything wiki I don't rely on 100% unless there's some sort of official source linked to it.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
domino

I think the Tallgeese III's cannon is a buster rifle and operates exactly like the Wing Zero's own (ie no ammo limit and powered by MS generator). Zechs probably didn't use it against the Serpents because his beam saber, heat rod and speed was enough to evade and disable them.
AmuroNT1

The megacannon is built off of the same principles as the Virgo beam cannon - you can actually chart the evolution of the design from Vayeate to Virgo to Virgo II to Serpent, and finally to the megacannon. As for alternate firing modes, the only evidence I've seen comes from video games like ACE, so that doesn't hold a whole lot of water. I do know that officially, it can only pull off a TBR-level shot once, after which it's completely drained of power (which is why we have that scene in the Special Edition of Zechs leisurely reading a book while he waits on Noin - there was nothing else he could do at the moment).

As for the other thing, I've never heard anything to even imply that Tallgeese III uses a ZERO System. All I really have to say here is "lol wiki", I suppose.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Wingnut

AmuroNT1 wrote:I do know that officially, it can only pull off a TBR-level shot once, after which it's completely drained of power (which is why we have that scene in the Special Edition of Zechs leisurely reading a book while he waits on Noin - there was nothing else he could do at the moment).
I don't think that was the reason he was staying put there. All of the enemy forces after he fired the mega cannon were either destroyed or made their way to Earth. Zechs didn't have any re-entry equipment to give chase to Dekim at that moment. And who knows what his fuel status might have been after that battle as well. He could not have had enough to get anywhere else any quicker than it would take Noin to get to him. Thus he just chills until she shows up and they can go to Earth together.

Yes, the mega cannon could have been drained and needed to be recharged, but I do not believe that was the reason he was still among the debris of MO III.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
balofo

amuront1 is correct on this one, he ran out of juice
Arsarcana

Based on...? Nothing in the movie establishes that, I'm pretty certain no official source establishes it and it would make his weapon the only one in the entire series that completely drains a suit without any significant advantages to go along with it.

Plus, him waiting around because he needed assistance getting from orbit to the surface is at least as plausible.
balofo

model kit manual, encyclopedia of gundam wing, etc
HalfDemonInuyasha

Not to mention that if it did completely drain it of power, than what would be the point of trying to use it during the Eve Wars had it been completed in time? Trieze would've been stripped of a primary weapon until the ONE time he'd use it. More like two as the vulcans would've been all but pointless against the Virgo II and its planet defensers, which would leave the heat rod (which we still have yet to see any "heat" from, lol) and the beam sabers.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Black Knight

Well, since Treize thought he could win the "Eve Wars" in a one-on-one duel with Zechs...where's the problem? That actually sounds like the sort of thing Treize would have built, at least in my opinion. After all, Treize didn't start the general combat until Zechs turned him down for the Big Leader Fight, and Treize clearly wasn't seriously planning on that happening in the first place, and he certainly never intended to survive the battle, regardless of whether or not he got his one-on-one with Zechs.
balofo

calm down, he used it at MAXIMUM output to destroy MO-V(a huge asteroid) in one shot, besides the tallgeese III isn't a gundam, it's just a tallgeese with new weapons, wasn't meant to be wing zero
Arsarcana

balofo wrote:model kit manual, encyclopedia of gundam wing, etc
The Encyclopedia only covers the TV series so I'm extremely skeptical that it has anything to say about Endless Waltz mechanics. Do you have a handy scan of the kit manual that that says that firing the thing drains the suit since I don't have one on hand to check?
HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:which would leave the heat rod (which we still have yet to see any "heat" from, lol)
In the movie version of EW, the thing is heated when he uses it. Granted, there isn't extra footage of it so he's still just using it to trip up a Serpent (and in this version slightly melt through its leg in the process) but it's definitely heated.
Xiphas

I dont know if its legal to post this, but someone scanned the MS Encyclopedia for Gundam Wing/EW and I'll just share it for this article. I cant read Japanese, but at least it has nice pictures. It should be informative.

Mod Edit (Red): It's not. Link removed.
J-Lead

I don't think that book is something that's distributed for free, so it might not be wise to post it here. You can reference it materials like these and post scans of pages relevant to the topic of discussion, but posting links to ddls for the whole thing isn't really allowed.
Spoiler
Not that it stopped me from downloading it. lolz
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Xiphas

Alright, sorry about earlier, wont happen again. Here are the pages in question which are relevant for this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/ ... ia-093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/ ... ia-092.jpg

A translation of any new material would be appreciated.

Is it just me? Or do the weapons on the AC universe seem very inconsistent in power? The twin buster rifle one moment can take out a colony or Libra, the next it cant even blow up the Vayeate or the Mecurius's dinky shield (probably for plot reasons). Does the thing even have an ammo limit (like the original buster rifle)?

EDIT: Please use the Edit button instead of double posting.

~ShadowCell
DoubleZero

Xiphas wrote:Is it just me? Or do the weapons on the AC universe seem very inconsistent in power? The twin buster rifle one moment can take out a colony or Libra, the next it cant even blow up the Vayeate or the Mecurius's dinky shield (probably for plot reasons). Does the thing even have an ammo limit (like the original buster rifle)?
You have a point. It's reasonable to assume that the Planet defensors weakened the TBR blast for Mercurius to tank, but the Vayaete surviving a direct blast from the TBR is definitely plot IMO for Trowa to give a speech to Quatre before he blew up.

-----

I recently gone to Gundam wiki and I found these two. Did the Thruster stats get retconned or something? All they used are the Okawara's established weight and height, but didn't mention the thrusters. Can we confirm this by using the recent MG Deathscythe Hell? I need a professional opinion on this.
"Rush hour, during the Dark hour..."
HalfDemonInuyasha

Vayeate actually took TWO direct hits from the Wing Gundam Zero's buster rifle; the initial blast the first time that left that gaping hole on its left side and partially exposed the cockpit, then again when Trowa flew in the way to protect Heero, which lead to its destruction.
Xiphas

I recently gone to Gundam wiki and I found these two. Did the Thruster stats get retconned or something? All they used are the Okawara's established weight and height, but didn't mention the thrusters. Can we confirm this by using the recent MG Deathscythe Hell? I need a professional opinion on this.
That's interesting, I never noticed, but the TV series Gundams lack data for both the reactor output and the thruster output. Maybe they wanted to keep it consistent, since they rewrote Gundam Wing with the Early Type designs for the manga, so just omit the reactor and thruster outputs. Another observation, the Tallgeese III has better reactor and thruster outputs than the other Gundams and is just slightly behind in performance compared to the Wing Zero, which would make it a suit almost on par with the Zero, maybe the Epyon too. Quite a powerful unit for just a remake of the Tallgeese.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Xiphas wrote:
That's interesting, I never noticed, but the TV series Gundams lack data for both the reactor output and the thruster output. Maybe they wanted to keep it consistent, since they rewrote Gundam Wing with the Early Type designs for the manga, so just omit the reactor and thruster outputs. Another observation, the Tallgeese III has better reactor and thruster outputs than the other Gundams and is just slightly behind in performance compared to the Wing Zero, which would make it a suit almost on par with the Zero, maybe the Epyon too. Quite a powerful unit for just a remake of the Tallgeese.
Well, the Tallgeese itself is usually described as "a Mobile Suit that can take on the Gundams" because of it being originally designed by the 5 Gundam scientists and obviously far more powerful than its Leo descendant and its performance certainly shows when Zechs first squares off against the Wing Gundam and such, and again when Zechs battles Heero and Trowa in the Mercurius and Vayeate, and then Trieze against Wu Fei and Altron near the end.

The only things that it lacked compared to the Gundams overall is armor material (regular Titanium as opposed to Gundanium), but its speed and mobility made it more than capable of dodging a lot of attacks (comparable to the Wing Gundam at least), which basically negated that downside (but brought up another in the limited number of pilots capable of handling the heavy G forces slammed onto the body because of it) and the other being slower response time due to its 20+ year age as Zechs comments after he self-destructs it and used the Wing Gundam Zero for the first time (commenting how its response time and power was much greater).

So the original Tallgeese and Tallgeese II would definitely be on par with the likes of the 5 Gundams in overall performance, but Wing Gundam Zero and Epyon would still be quite a bit above it until the Tallgeese III and even then, the only things that seem really different are the replacing of the dober gun with the mega cannon, addition of vulcans and a heat rod, and modern thrusters as opposed to the original aged ones.

Such additions also reflects Trieze's intentions of dueling Milliardo one on one near the end had the Tallgeese III been finished and then probably using the mega cannon to blow up Libra after presumably defeating him. Of course, as we know, that didn't work out as planned in every way besides III not being finished.

So yeah, the Tallgeese III is definitely a bridge between the original, II, and the 5 original Gundams to Zero and Epyon alongside Deathscythe Hell and Altron. (Sandrock and Heavyarms getting, in comparison, very minimal upgrades.)
Xiphas

So yeah, the Tallgeese III is definitely a bridge between the original, II, and the 5 original Gundams to Zero and Epyon alongside Deathscythe Hell and Altron. (Sandrock and Heavyarms getting, in comparison, very minimal upgrades.)
Hmmm, I always considered the T-geese III to be a superior unit to the D-Hell and Altron. It has more than enough speed to outmanuver them, and more than enough firepower and weapondry. And in video games, it approaches the Zero-Epyon tier. But that's just my opinion. Personally I think Treize should've piloted the Epyon, like in Gundam Endless Duel, but it seemed like he gave up the will to fight by the second half of the series, and kept churning out super powered MS for other people (Epyon, Tallgeese III, Aquarius).