Question about Strike Freedom?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Re: Question about Strike Freedom?

Okay, here's what the MG Impulse kit manual says. I'll summarize a bit, but I'll try to retain the original nuances.

The Impulse's modular construction allows each part to fly independently, enabling it to perform operations that would be impossible with normal mobile suits. Damaged parts can also be replaced in mid-battle, and this system is thought to be "following in the footsteps of" the X11A Regenerate.

The Regenerate also used a laser propulsion system fired by Genesis Alpha. This is thought to be "the origin of the deuterion beam power supply system concept."

In order to extend the Impulse's capabilities, "test parts were produced that enabled the use of the Alliance's Striker Packs. During testing, a core block with multi-pack functionality was used instead of the Core Splendor." Its development was assisted by a Coordinator who had emigrated from Orb to the PLANTs, and the completed test parts were theoretically also compatible with the IWSP and the Akatsuki's packs as well.

So yeah, according to the MG kit, the Impulse doesn't normally support Alliance-style Striker Packs but this feature can be added by replacing the Core Splendor with an alternate core block. This alternate core block is actually included in the kit, and I think this must be the unit used by the Destiny Impulse R, which doesn't include a Core Splendor either.

-- Mark
balofo

Oh, thanks for the clarifications. That explains Outframe's Multipack.

Have we discussed the retcon that says the Destiny was actually supposed to be a MP for elite soldiers like Heine and thus is not Shin's custom MS?
toysdream

I'd kind of ignored that up until now, shame on me. According to the setting info for Heine's Destiny, ZAFT planned to form an elite special forces team called the "Concluders," made up of ace pilots chosen from every front and using the Destiny Gundam as its main mobile suit. Heine was one of the pilots selected for this team, and ZAFT began constructing a Destiny specially tuned for his use, but he was killed just before it was completed and the Concluders team was never actually formed.

-- Mark
E08

balofo wrote:Oh, thanks for the clarifications. That explains Outframe's Multipack.
The Outframe's Multipack has nothing to do with Impulse's Core Block. The Multipack is developed independently by 8 using data it gained from Regenerate.
balofo

Thanks E08!

RG manual for SF claims it was built on data acquired by the Clyne faction and later customized for Kira by Lacus, it also has a deuterion engine. Lex posteriori derrogati legi priori?

Internal frame(golden joints) is PS while external frame is VPS. VL can only exhibit its true potential when the Super DRAGOONS are deployed(MG manual). CIWS weren't originally supposed to be in the head because of the space it takes. Combined Beam Rifle is for long range.

Poor Shin, the SF is so superior to the Destiny...
toysdream

The theory that the Strike Freedom has a hyper deuterion engine may be the most recent claim, but I'm still not finding it convincing for the reasons I noted above. After all, when it comes to Gundam, we also have to contend with Sunrise's own principle that the filmed works should take priority - and the onscreen evidence, such as the OS startup screen, suggests that the Strike Freedom uses the same kind of nuclear engine as the original Freedom.

-- Mark
Brave Fencer Kirby

So, to sum things up, current evidence suggests that the Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice were actually under development as successors to the Freedom and Justice before the First Bloody Valentine War ended (with no love for the Providence, apparently...), but got cancelled when the Junius Treaty made their nuclear power sources illegal. Then ZAFT switched over to making the Second Stage series that were Junius-compliant. During the Second Bloody Valentine War, they pitched the Junius Treaty out the window and designed the Third Stage series, which included illegal technology like the mirage colloid-powered afterimage shenanigans (but not a traditional N-Jammer Canceler and nuclear reactor, for fear of the Neutron Stampeder being used against them). For some reason, the Third Stage never really came together, and only the Destiny and Legend were actually produced, leaving the DOM, designed under the same program, to languish in the same limbo as the canceled Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice. At some point, the intelligence group Terminal got their hands on those canceled designs (and/or incomplete prototypes?) and passed them along to the Clyne Faction (or the Three Ships Alliance, or whatever you want to call Lacus-and-supporters). They then built and/or completed those MS, incorporating modifications in the process to make them more suitable for their intended pilots.

That all seems pretty reasonable to me, generally speaking. There are some ambiguous bits (did Terminal get their hands on Strike Freedom/Infinite Justice and the DOM at the same time, or was that two separate incidents? Did they just get schematics for them, or did they steal some actual physical hardware? What was the extent of the changes they made to the original designs?), but on the whole it holds together pretty well.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
toysdream

Well, that's pretty much my theory, but I should clarify again that this isn't necessarily what current publications and kit manuals have been saying. :-)

-- Mark
E08

balofo wrote:Thanks E08!

Internal frame(golden joints) is PS while external frame is VPS. VL can only exhibit its true potential when the Super DRAGOONS are deployed(MG manual). CIWS weren't originally supposed to be in the head because of the space it takes. Combined Beam Rifle is for long range.

Poor Shin, the SF is so superior to the Destiny...
The Destiny is not that far behind though, it is really only lacking the DRAGOONs when compared to SF. The Destiny MG manual and the Seed Destiny MS Encyclopedia both noted that it has PS armored joints, which as far as I can understand, is for the same purpose as SF's PS armored internal frame, that is for maximum maneuverability and flexibility. On the point about PS armored internal frame, the Seed Destiny MS Encyclopedia noted that Infinite Justice also has them.

So rather then poor Destiny, perhaps it should be poor Legend?
balofo

DRAGOONS>anything the Destiny has. All those unwieldy weapons...

Has anyone ever pointed out the Destiny actually uses the Palma Fiocina as a ranged beam cannon in the anime? You can actually see the blue beams being fired offscreen from Athrun's or Kira's cockpit.

Can't wait for the Blue Frame D MG manual for more DRAGOON shenanigans.
Deathonator

Does the Strike Freedom profile mention that one of the upgrades to it's DRAGOON System involves upgraded head sensors or something? Wonder how that plays into, if it's true
balofo

Deathonator wrote:Does the Strike Freedom profile mention that one of the upgrades to it's DRAGOON System involves upgraded head sensors or something? Wonder how that plays into, if it's true
Yeah MG manual mentions an upgrade to head sensors
latenlazy

Not to turn this into a versus thread, but I always supposed that the after images were meant to be a counter to multivector attacks. We'll just leave it at that.
Gundam420

balofo wrote:DRAGOONS>anything the Destiny has. All those unwieldy weapons...

Has anyone ever pointed out the Destiny actually uses the Palma Fiocina as a ranged beam cannon in the anime? You can actually see the blue beams being fired offscreen from Athrun's or Kira's cockpit.

Can't wait for the Blue Frame D MG manual for more DRAGOON shenanigans.
Well most people don't think of them as such since it mostly uses them as melee weapons. There are some games that depict the Palma Fiocina as ranged weapons like Generation of CE and Gundam Seed Battle Destiny.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator