Gryps 2 colony laser

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Wingnut

Gryps 2 colony laser

I just finished Zeta and was wondering, what do they do with that thing? It is still intact at the end. Does it' fate get mentioned in ZZ, or do we never hear about it again?
Also, what was that ship that was flying away with the Argama? It looked like a Musai.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Phantomexe87

I believe it was a Musai, not surprising as the AEUG has a lot of Zeons in its ranks, maybe up to 25% (though that's a longshot, and most would defect to Neo Zeon, I'd imagine) but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were against Axis Zeon, or just stood by their AEUG allies. It is is also possible that it is just a salvaged musai the AEUG used, because of their lack of ships, I prefer the first assumption, as it sounds better.

What did they do with the colony laser? Good question, I imagine they scuttled it? The AEUG would not leave such a thing laying around, or perhaps they remade it into a colony or some other non-military facility? It would have been ironic if they used it to stop Neo Zeon's colony drop...
HalfDemonInuyasha

Considering that quite a lot of the inside of the laser was damaged (with Scirocco slicing the amplifiers and Char getting knocked into others, breaking them and such) and then being fired afterwards, it probably ended up damaged beyond use.

It probably ended up scrapped and turned into some sort of base. Maybe a recon base or something. Or, as mentioned, it could've ended up used in a drop.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Hyakushiki

IIRC, the thing was coming apart at end I'd assume it was damaged beyond
repair after its last firing and abandoned.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Brave Fencer Kirby

Phantomexe87 wrote:I believe it was a Musai, not surprising as the AEUG has a lot of Zeons in its ranks, maybe up to 25%
Huh? The former-Zeon ranks of the AEUG consist entirely of "Quattro", Roberto, and Apolly, pretty much.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Phantomexe87

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:
Phantomexe87 wrote:I believe it was a Musai, not surprising as the AEUG has a lot of Zeons in its ranks, maybe up to 25%
Huh? The former-Zeon ranks of the AEUG consist entirely of "Quattro", Roberto, and Apolly, pretty much.
Well, and Shin Matsunaga, and I recall someone said, Ridden, but I think that was wishful thinking on their part. The Rick Dias is surprisingly Zeonic for an organization with only three Zeons, especially given its popularity. Though I suppose that could be an assumption, but who more Anti-Earth than the Zeon?
Fritz Ashlyn

Phantomexe87 wrote:Though I suppose that could be an assumption, but who more Anti-Earth than the Zeon?
Anti EARTH UNION GROUP, not ANTI EARTH Union Group. Anti Earth Federation, not anti-earth.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Phantomexe87

...I don't follow, how that takes away from my point. Who more Anti-Earth Federation? To clarify, the Zeon are the most anti-Earth Federation faction and or people.
Melchior

Yeh, the AEUG is basically 99% ex-Federation soldiers. Even Quattro, Roberto and Apolly are considered Feddies since they assumed identities as Feddie soldiers before joinging the AEUG.

As fo rthat Musai, in the scenes prior to that one, we see a AEUG Salamis Kai at the rear of Gryps, supporting the Argama. I beleive the Musai was an animation error, as the ship magically changed from a Salamis to a Musai.
Cardi Doorl

He means that AEUG's name doesn't mean "A Union Group that's Anti-Earth", as is a common misconception. It's not Anti-Earth at all.

It's name means "A Group that's Anti-Earth-Union". It's opposed to the Federation in particular (at least the fact that it allows a unit like the Titans to exist and get away with stuff).
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Fritz Ashlyn

If you've given the Federation years of service, only to watch them devolve into a corrupt, incompetant version of their former selves (a version that continues to bend over backwards to please the Titans, no less), then I would think you would be more likely to join the AEUG than a random bitter Zeon veteran who hasn't gotten over hating the rotten Feddies.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Phantomexe87

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:If you've given the Federation years of service, only to watch them devolve into a corrupt, incompetant version of their former selves (a version that continues to bend over backwards to please the Titans, no less), then I would think you would be more likely to join the AEUG than a random bitter Zeon veteran who hasn't gotten over hating the rotten Feddies.
Ah, okay, I see your point now. I kind of fail to see how the Federation changed much, as they seemed to always be that way. I always saw the AEUG as a mostly spacenoid group, with a handful of ex-Federals. I figured most were like Kamille, dissident angry spacenoids.
Cardi Doorl

"Federal" isn't synonymous with "Earthnoid". ;)

Melchior's 99% figure is probably not right. I've always presumed the bulk of AEUG's manpower was a mix of EFF defectors and angry and/or idealistic teenagers too young to have fought in the OYW for either side, with former Zeons being a near-negligible minority.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Melchior

Ok, I might have to concede that there'd be a number of Lunarians and spacenoids within the AEUG ranks who had never served with the Federation. What I should have said was that Zeons probably made up nomore than 1% of the AEUG.
Phantomexe87

See I find that unlikely, given the Rick Dias. Now I am aware, that the Rick Dias is simply one mobile suit, but its popularity and numbers, along with a guy like Char Aznable in charge, (he made his true identity public not long after assuming leadership) I really doubt that only 1% of the AEUG was Zeon. Hence, why a Musai being in the AEUG's fleet is rather unsurprising.
RGM-79G GM Command

Phantomexe87 wrote:See I find that unlikely, given the Rick Dias. Now I am aware, that the Rick Dias is simply one mobile suit, but its popularity and numbers, along with a guy like Char Aznable in charge, (he made his true identity public not long after assuming leadership) I really doubt that only 1% of the AEUG was Zeon.
The Rick Dias has nothing to do with the pilots, Anaheim Electronics made it and they for the most part used to be Zeon engineers. I mean going by what your saying the Titans and EFF should have more Zeon soldiers because of the Hizacks and Marasais they use.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
Phantomexe87

Not really, that was just the "bad guys use mono-eyes" thing to explain why the Titans use mono eyes, which is what confused a lot of people early on, or so I have been told.
RGM-79G GM Command

So what your saying is that since the Rick Dias looks like a Zeon design it means there are a bunch of Zeon soldiers in the AEUG, but even though the Hizack and Marasai look more Zeonic it doesn't mean there are a bunch of Zeon soldiers in the Titans right? That doesn't even make sense, it is because Anaheim Electronics made them trust me, and they made some of the Titan's MS which also look like Zeon MS, more so than the Rick Dias.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
Wingnut

While this is interesting, it does nothing to answer my question.
What was that Musai doing there, and more importantly are there any more ideas on what happened to Gryps 2?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
RGM-79G GM Command

Well the Musai might have either been the ship of some of the Zeon soldiers that were in the AEUG, or the AEUG might have needed to use it if they needed all the ships they could get their hands on, not sure about Gryps 2 though.