Known MSV-R so far

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ShadowCell

Re: Known MSV-R so far

well i don't know about you guys but as far as i'm concerned MSV-R is completely redeemed now
AmuroNT1

I'm going to say one thing about the Luna Tank, and whoever gets it gets an Internet Cookie (no fair using Google!):

"In addition to supplying vital nutrients, many vegetables are a source of dietary fiber!"
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
ShadowCell

Zeon: WE PUT THE "DIE" IN "DIETARY FIBER"
Zeis

Mmm, I love caramelized Luna Tanks, don't you?
toysdream

By the way, in response to Gelgoog Jager, the Lunatank was always said to have been a Zeon weapon. According to the second MSV book:
This machine was based on the G87 Lunatank, which was stationed at the Granada base on the moon as a movable ground attack weapon. It was modified to make it usable on Earth. The Lunatank's rocket engines were removed, and instead it was equipped with eight hover engines and a Minovsky craft system.

[...]

The Adzam's interior was drastically changed when it was modified from the G87 Lunatank. In particular, the fuel tanks on its underside that previously took up most of the space were used to house the Leader and particle emitters and power field generators for the Minovsky craft system. The cockpit was not too different from that the of the Lunatank, but the display and control systems were modified to match its intended use.
As for other mythical MSVs we could see in the MSV-R series, I guess there's the RTX-44, the RXM-1, and the apocryphal MS-07D Gouf for starters. Not to mention the Trafalgar class! Depends on how long the series continues; they've already released a Federation book compilation, so they may not be doing any more Federation designs.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

Thanks for the info Mark.

One more question on the Luna Tank: is it classified as a MA or a tank/spacefighter?

Also, I found scans for the Gouf variant that came before the Luna Tank:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

After watching the second pic I couldn't help but think "Gouf Cannon". I also noticed what seems to be a yet unknown Gouf variant in the third pic, namely because of the odd backpack. Probably another future MSV-R unit.

Can someone please confirm its name and if possible give us some details on it?

I would also like to take the opportunity to once again request for information on the MSV-R units that came out after the Nelson class.
toysdream

Gelgoog Jager wrote:One more question on the Luna Tank: is it classified as a MA or a tank/spacefighter?
Don't know yet. Probably not an MA, since even the Adzam doesn't qualify.
After watching the second pic I couldn't help but think "Gouf Cannon". I also noticed what seems to be a yet unknown Gouf variant in the third pic, namely because of the odd backpack. Probably another future MSV-R unit.

Can someone please confirm its name and if possible give us some details on it?
According to the caption text, the machine in the background "is thought to be the Gouf Vijayanta, which often worked well in combination with the MS-07G-2." So it seems pretty certain that they'll be unveiling that version at some point.
I would also like to take the opportunity to once again request for information on the MSV-R units that came out after the Nelson class.
Pretty busy right now, but I'll see what I can do.

-- Mark
Wingnut

AmuroNT1 wrote:I'm going to say one thing about the Luna Tank, and whoever gets it gets an Internet Cookie (no fair using Google!):

"In addition to supplying vital nutrients, many vegetables are a source of dietary fiber!"
Don't need no stinking google to know Calvin's one line from his Nutrition and the Four Food Groups play where he was the onion and on the day of the play could not make it on stage because his zipper got stuck while he was trying to use the boy's room. In desperation he managed to correctly shout the line he had trouble memorizing before.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Gelgoog Jager

toysdream wrote:According to the caption text, the machine in the background "is thought to be the Gouf Vijayanta, which often worked well in combination with the MS-07G-2." So it seems pretty certain that they'll be unveiling that version at some point.
That sounds like the focus given to the development of the Gallus J and Zssa, which were meant to work in conjunction. As for it's model number, maybe it will turn out to be MS-07G-1.
toysdream wrote:Pretty busy right now, but I'll see what I can do.
Thanks Mark.
toysdream wrote:As for other mythical MSVs we could see in the MSV-R series, I guess there's the RTX-44, the RXM-1, and the apocryphal MS-07D Gouf for starters. Not to mention the Trafalgar class! Depends on how long the series continues; they've already released a Federation book compilation, so they may not be doing any more Federation designs.

-- Mark
Maybe the compilation is focused on OYW federation units, though that do would mean that the RTX-44 and the RXM-1 might indeed not be added to the MSV-R lineup.

While I love OYW MS, I'm hoping that they eventually show units from other periods. The MSV-R series takes place on U.C. 0089 , so I'm looking forward for units from Z and ZZ. I also wonder what are the chances we see variations from units seen on U.C. 0080, 0081 and 0083?
Deacon Blues

Which did you want to know about? I can probably take a look at them for you.
Gelgoog Jager

Deacon Blues wrote:Which did you want to know about? I can probably take a look at them for you.
Thank you Deacon.

Namely I would to find out the names and any other relevant information on these two:
-MS-06V-8
-MS-07G-2

If possible, I would also like to know if these two were used by their respective pilot, and for how long, as well as any other relevant information that their text might have:
-MS-06R-1A Anavel Gato custom
-MS-09R Dozle Zabi custom

The scans of all these are already posted in this thread.

Thanks in advance for the info.
AmuroNT1

The names I get for the two you mentioned are Zaku Tank "Wild Boar" and...well, the Gouf is a little odder. Direct translation is something like "Tactical Enhanced Attack Type"; Deacon can probably give you something that sounds less awkward.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

Gelgoog Jager wrote:While I love OYW MS, I'm hoping that they eventually show units from other periods. The MSV-R series takes place on U.C. 0089 , so I'm looking forward for units from Z and ZZ. I also wonder what are the chances we see variations from units seen on U.C. 0080, 0081 and 0083?
I don't think any of that will happen. The series has been totally focused on One Year War mecha, as a kind of homage/continuation of the original MSV series. I guess it's possible that once it wraps up, they could launch a new variation series for postwar stuff, kind of like how Kitazume's Zeta Gundam Define attempted to fill the void left by Gundam The Origin...

Name-wise, the MS-07G-2 would be something like "Gouf Tactical Attack Type". The Japanese term used here, 強攻, technically indicates a "forced attack" or "storm attack", an aggressive charge on an enemy stronghold. The same term is used for the Macross's humanoid form, which I think is usually referred to as its "Storm Attacker" mode.

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

強攻 from what I've seen also means "assault", though that may be confused with 強襲 that was used in one of the other variations I think.
toysdream

Okay, some quick notes on the post-Nelson Class entries...

RGM-79LV GM Night Seeker II: An assault version of the GM Light Armor. The decision had already been made to adopt the GM Night Seeker for use by special forces units, but due to the demand for high-mobility Light Armor types from pilots in the field, an assault version of that machine was developed as well. The addition of landing thrusters and head sensors increased its weight so much that the Light Armor type lost much of its mobility, so the thruster units were modified so they could be detached with explosive bolts in the middle of an operation. This system was later adopted in the regular Night Seeker as well.

A first production run of 12 Night Seeker II units took place at the end of U.C. 0079. Including the second production run after the war, a total of 38 units were eventually produced.

MS-09R Dozle Zabi's Rick Dom: The hundredth unit of the first Rick Dom production run. Its cockpit was modified to fit Dozle's body, and it was decorated with spikes and golden relief patterns, but its basic performance was unchanged from the standard type. After it was deployed, it was given the large heat hawk from Dozle's custom MS-06F Zaku II.

Dozle piloted this machine during a massive naval review held near the end of the war. After the review, this machine was apparently deployed in the Battle of Solomon, but it's unknown who was piloting it.

MS-06R-1A Anavel Gato's High Mobility Type Zaku II: Like other machines of this type, Gato's 06R-1A was specially tuned for his use. Unlike other pilots, he usually carried a Zaku machine gun instead of a giant bazooka. Apparently he only used it for two months.

MS-06V-8 Zaku Tank "Wild Boar": Originally introduced on the African front, the Zaku Tank was eventually used around the world. This type, equipped with a twin Zaku machine gun on its left arm, was used mainly in Northern Europe. The large magazine rack on its back carries about 3.5 times as much ammunition as the magazine of a standard Zaku machine gun. In addition to these off-white winter camouflage colors, there were also green colors for forest camouflage, and a three-colored camouflage scheme for jungle regions.

The Zaku Tank was originally intended for non-combat construction work, and it was only as the war situation worsened that they were re-armed and used in combat. But thanks to its stable base and large ammo capacity, the V-8 type turned out to have very good firing capabilities. On the other hand, its added weight meant that it was only about 70% as fast as a Magella Attack.

MS-07G-2 Gouf Tactical Assault Type: Let's use Deacon's phrasing for now. Thanks to its high mobility and overall performance, Zeon's mobile suit development staff began planning variations of the Gouf right after it rolled out. This G-2 type was created with the opinions of the pilots in mind, and designed mainly for increased firepower. The gun pack on its left arm houses a machine gun, a medium-range rifle, a flamethrower, and a small rocket launcher, and a six-barrelled 120mm gatling gun is mounted on its backpack. Due to the added weight of all these weapons, the machine itself was redesigned, and leg thrusters were added to ensure it still had the same mobility as the original version.

Thanks to the time required for the redesign, only 38 units of this type were produced. All were deployed in combat, and used mainly by reconnaissance teams. (The term used here, 強攻偵察, means "reconnaissance in force" - attacking the enemy to evaluate its capabilities - and may be another reason for this machine's name.) The FSS Action Graphic shows a Gouf team engaging Federation GMs in North America, in November of U.C. 0079. The same team appears to have attacked a Federation supply base three days later, raising the possibility that it was an independent guerrilla unit rather than a reconnaissance team.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

Thanks for the information everyone.

I particularly found interesting the info on the "Wild Boar" Zaku Tank and the Gouf Tactical Assault Type:

MS-06V-8: This is the first I have heard of a drawback of using a Zaku Tank instead of a Magella Tank, though it certainly is not unexpected that the added mass would result in lower speed. I have previously seen in some games versions of the standard Zaku Tank and the MS-06V-6 "Green Makaku" variant which were equipped with Zaku Cannon backpacks, which I suppose are some of these re-armed Zaku Tanks.

MS-07G-2: This most be the second UC MS equipped with an actual flamethrower, the first being the RTX-440 Ground Assault Type Guntank. The 4 weapons on its hand seem to give it a weapon for any kind of situation. As for the gatling gun backpack, I couldn't help thinking that it might be related somehow to the backpack of the cancelled MS-06J-12 which was supposed to be have anti-aircraft gun.

Regarding other possible future MSV-R units, maybe the MS-06J-12 could eventually be added, as well as units such as the MS-06T, MS-16X, MS-06M-1 (which supposedly served as the base for the federation's RMS-192M) and the Kikeroga. I would also like to see the M1, which only appeared in only a couple of cameos in MS Igloo 2 at the Magella Eins.
toysdream

The caption in the MSV-R profile says that the backpack gatling gun of the MS-07G-2 is a medium-range weapon for anti-air and anti-ground use. I don't imagine that a gatling gun would be all that ideal for shooting down aircraft, which was the original purpose of the Zaku Cannon, but who knows.

As for future possibilities, the MS-06T seems like a good candidate; the MS-06M-1 was only ever mentioned in the old Zaku Mariner kit manual, and I think it's probably spurious. The Kikeroga would be a possibility if they feel like dipping into the murky waters of the Tomino Memo and the MS-X series. And personally, I'd love to see better visualizations of the MS-04, MS-06R-3, and MSM-02, but at this point it seems like Okawara isn't going to revisit the designs he did for the previous M-MSV series...

-- Mark
CloudFF7

Well the Aug issue of Gundam Ace reveals that Shin Matsunaga piloted a Rick Dom, it keeps the standard production colors(unfortunately), but has his White Wolf symbol on one of it shoulders and uses a sword(presumably the Gouf series heat sword).
domtropen

perhaps he is supposed to get his Gelgoog soon so no need to paint it white?