Known MSV-R so far

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gelgoog Jager

Re: Known MSV-R so far

First, some more scans on the G87 Luna Tank:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... T/G87a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... T/G87b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... T/G87c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... T/G87d.jpg

For some reason the pictures were scaled down a bit, so here's the site where I found them:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/201 ... issue.html

Moving on to Shin Matsunaga's MS-06FS, I couldn't help but notice an inconsistency between te lineart and the photo of this volume: the lineart shows no verniers whatsoever, but the photo clearly has verniers both on top of the backpack and on its legs. I found this odd as AFAIK the rest of the MSV-R units did retain such consistency, such as in the case of the MS-06S units, whose lineart did include the leg verniers, while most other Zaku variants clearly lacked verniers even on the photos, such as in the case of the MS-06A.

That said, the backpack is particularly interesting as it seems that no other MSV-R Zaku has the top backpack verniers, which got me thinking if maybe it was using an early version of the backpack of a MS-06F2 or it was inspired in the MG ver 2.0 MS-06F. either way, those top verniers certainly seem a bit out of place in the MSV-R series.

The obligatory question would be: what is the actual name of the MS-06FS? Is it something like "Zaku Close Combat Type" or another "Zaku Commander Type"?

One more thing, regarding the image of Shin Matsunaga's Zaku II F-type, wasn't his unit supposed to be painted like this? Has it been retconned, or does the text provide an explanation for the different color scheme?
toysdream

The F type featured in this installment is the version used by Matsunaga's wingmen. These other members of the "Matsunaga team" have the call-signs "W02" and "W03".

As for the FS type, it doesn't seem to have an official name aside from "Zaku II".

And regarding the verniers, I think Okawara's mecha designs are probably more "official", and the paintings are merely an artist's interpretation. According to the mecha designs, the FS type has exactly the same verniers as the regular F type (i.e. none). If the artist of the painting used the Ver 2.0 Master Grade kit as reference, then I guess the FS type would still have the same verniers as the regular F type, right?

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

Gelgoog Jager: I just made a quick run through every source I could find, and there doesn't seem to be any special name for the Fs-type Zaku at all. Most of the sources just call it "Garma's Custom Zaku II Fs"; Japanese Wikipedia (that bastion of accuracy) calls it "Commander-Use Mass Production Zaku II", but only on the main "List of Universal Century Mobile Suits" page; on the Zaku II page, it's again just called "Fs Type".
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Calubin_175

It is the first time I've seen mentioned that Char has Piloted an F Type before. I've always thought that he switched from the C to the S type after the Battle Loum. Meanwhile, the Black Tri-Stars may have their S types during the Battle of Loum already.
Evex

Calubin_175 wrote:It is the first time I've seen mentioned that Char has Piloted an F Type before. I've always thought that he switched from the C to the S type after the Battle Loum. Meanwhile, the Black Tri-Stars may have their S types during the Battle of Loum already.
Well Char piloted a MS-06C during the loum campaign. I doubt he was promoted to commander status right away after the battle. According to the Zaku II early mass production type's profile it was upgraded into the F type by February of UC 0079. The battle of loum is on January 15 0079, as one of the first major battles of the one year war. Char doesn't encounter the white base in his MS-06S Zaku II commander type until September 18 0079. I'm assuming char was promoted to commander status at some point between the role out of the F type, and when he encountered the white base. During that period he would of piloted an F type Zaku II.
CloudFF7

I'm hoping that Gato's Custom Rick Dom, makes an appearance. So far it's only appearance was the Encounters in Space videogame.
balofo

http://i.minus.com/jbbxDbYV1vKOiI.JPG

Zaku Cannon with shoulder gatling, running out of ideas?
Deacon Blues

*squints* Zaku HALF CANNON? Really? *facepalm*
toysdream

According to the caption text, it's a regular MS-06J hastily converted with a Zaku Cannon backpack (and shoulder shield). Not a bad idea, really.

The facing page shows a rear view of a standard Zaku Cannon. Presumably that's the headlining MSV-R for this month, most likely another ace custom. I think at this point the staff are just trying to generate enough Zaku variations to fill an entire volume, as in the original MSV book series.

-- Mark
ShadowCell

:|

yeah but i hope they don't reach the point where they're actually mimicking real-life military hardware and saying "this is the MS-06J-2AB/5, which is the MS-06J but with two cupholders instead of one"
Sume Gai

Wait you mean there's room for both Zeonic Apple and Axis Raspberry Slushies? Sign me up!

I have to wonder how many more MSV they can pump out for OYW machines at this rate?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Gelgoog Jager

Here are the scans for the Zaku Cannon equipped with a gatling gun and the MS-06JK:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... S-06Ka.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... S-06Kb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... S-06Kc.jpg

Not surprising, but the MS-06K can also equip leg missile launchers and the units equipped with the gatling gun backpack can also equip the "Big Gun" rocket launchers.

The pic showing the lineart of the back of the Zaku Cannon mentions both the MS-06J-12 and the MS-06K1.

So, any mention of production numbers for either the standard MS-06K or these two MSV-R units?
bilbros

The caption on page 642 actually doesn't say MS-06K1, but mentions that the unit 1 of MS-06K (the MS-06J-12) rolled out at the California Base.
Concerning the number of produced units, no precise figure on the number is given. The texts only says that the production run of the Zaku Cannon was a limited one, and I suppose it refers to all its sub-types.
toysdream

I think the scans we've seen so far are missing the first page or two - logically there should be a color front view of the gatling-equipped Zaku Cannon. So there could be more info there, including an explanation of why they gave it a gatling in the first place.

The Zaku Cannon text here mostly echoes the old MSV explanations; the Zaku Cannon was originally being developed as an anti-air defense, its development was halted due to balance issues, and then it was revived as an anti-MS support machine inspired by the Federation's Guncannon. It never went beyond the prototype stage, only a few units were produced, and all of them were deployed in combat.

The "FSS Action Graphic" is an account of a battle in North America where Zaku Cannons tried to defend a Zeon base from a Federation air attack, demonstrating that they still retained their original anti-air capabilities.

As for the JK type, the text tells us that 24 "option sets" were produced, each consisting of a replacement backpack, shoulder shield, cannon, and gatling gun which could be attached to a standard J type.

-- Mark
Homeless

"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
AmuroNT1

FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam Unit 2, armed with beam saber, shoulder beam cannon, frame launcher (which is apparently what they're calling the heavy launcher now), custom beam rifle and custom hyper bazooka.

...Yeah, I'm fond of the old Heavy Gundam, but I wish they'd been a bit more creative with this. Mostly it just looks like a repaint.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Imperial

AmuroNT1 wrote: ...Yeah, I'm fond of the old Heavy Gundam, but I wish they'd been a bit more creative with this. Mostly it just looks like a repaint.
That's all I'm seeing. Or do the custom saber and h-bazooka somehow warrant a brand new profile?

That's like pretending Amuro's old RX-78 became an entirely different machine when it sorties with the Gundam hammer instead of its regular beam rifle.
This space for rent
Xenosynth

Gotta love the eyes on it, makes it remind me of a cop in reflective sunglasses.

Honestly not TOO much of a fan of it, however, it does look like just another recolor with an equipment change. So far for me some of the newer MSV-R units are really.... lacking? The Zaku Cannon with switched out weapons isn't my favorite either.

Also: Cloud FF7: A bit late of a reply but Gato's Rick Dom was also in Gundam Battle Universe, along with a ton of other obscure variations (Though somehow they elected not to put in the GM Striker, one of my favorite variations ~_~)
Calubin_175

I thought they were going to stop releasing Federation MSV-R designs since they have released a compilation volume for the faction already.
JEFFPIATT

it's an slight revision with an folding shield it appears that it's just an unknown brother to the one from ms-x with some new equipment.