Known MSV-R so far

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Re: Known MSV-R so far

Thanks, balofo!

According to the text, the Zeon forces captured a total of 32 submarines during the second landing operation, and as they captured more around the world they successively modified them at the California Base. The first Mad Angler class submarine was launched in June of U.C. 0079, and the following month it was commissioned and assigned to a submarine fleet in the Pacific.

I've also edited my previous post based on these new scans. It appears that Zeon captured all eight of these submarines during the initial landing operation, so I guess the initial haul would be 8 Lockwood/Rockwood-class submarines and 24 Jukon types. This is the same tally given in the third MSV book:
The main submarines of the Zeon forces were 24 Jukon-class and eight Mad Angler-class vessels. Both types were constructed by the Federation Forces, who expected them to become their next-generation main submarines. However, the Zeon forces invaded Earth at the point where the initial construction plan had just been completed, and they fell into Zeon hands essentially intact. These vessels were modified and placed in service as the sea power of the Zeon forces.
So I guess that's just the starting tally, with more added as they were captured over the course of the war.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

That being the case, should we discard the figures from EB 39:

-56 Prober Class submarines
-84 Jukon Class submarines
-2 Mad Angler Class submarines

Or maybe could we consider these figures to represent later additions to Zeon's Naval Attack Force?

We know that the Prober is an original Zeon design, so maybe these figures could indicate newly constructed ships, which would include the Probers and any additional submarines (Jukons and Mad Angler) constructed beside the 32 that were already completed or already under construction when California Base was captured.
balofo

MSV-Rはガガウル級駆逐艦。Eザク母艦。
Gelgoog Jager

balofo wrote:MSV-Rはガガウル級駆逐艦。Eザク母艦。
"Gagauru"/"Gagaul" Class Destroyer?

A mothership for the MS-06E Zaku Reconnaissance Type?

Can't wait to see what kind of new Zeon ship we will get.
Imperial

I actually sort of like this one. It looks like a cross between a Zanzibar and a Musai, though, which may make it another intentional intermediary. MSV-R has been loving those.

If this really is a destroyer, though, it looks a bit small with the Zaku reference point. I was excepting something Chivvay-sized, if not something all the way up to Gwazine scale.
This space for rent
Xenosynth

Yeah. That's much smaller than I expected, I didn't think it'd only hold 2 MS at a time. It does have a decent variety of weapons though. Missiles and mega particle beams woohoo. Overall, I still like the ships, and at least MSV-R hasn't driven those into the ground for me.
Gelgoog Jager

This ships seems to attempt to resemble many Zeon ships, including the Musai (front top section and thrusters), Zanzibar (overall form) Chivvay (front bottom section), Papua (bottom rear section) and even a Jukon (overall form).

Weapons wise, it seems decently armed for a ship of its size:
-2-barrel main guns x2
-secondary guns x2
-8-tube missile launcher x1

The armament list seems to have a foruth weapon x2, but I can't tell what is is supposed to be.

Either way, my previous assumption about the MS-06E seems to have been incorrect. The most direct translation is E Zaku, which makes me think that those Zaku-type MS seen in the image are a new variant of the Zaku I (probably MS-05E), whose role at this point is unknown. Their most unique feature is the use of spiked shoulder armor on both shoulders. Maybe it's another hint at a future addition to MSV-R, just like the MS-07G-1 Gouf Viyajanta, first seen and mentioned in the volume about the MS-07G-2 Gouf Tactical Assault Type.
Xenosynth

@Jager:

The bottommost thing on the list just says 'Mobiru Sutsu x2'. The two mobile suits are just being listed on the armaments there, nothing else really.
Deacon Blues

The action graphic says:

The (image) captured is of training being conducted in a Side 3 sector circa 0078. Launching from the Gagaulu-class destroyer are believed to be retrofitted A-types without the shoulder spike. Since the refitting of the A-types too place in the later part of 0078, it's believed to be around September. A portion of the Gagaulu-class would later be deployed in recon units as a ship used for the MS-06E.

The backstory indicates that while refitting of 78 ships of the class were anticipated, by the end of 0078 only 65 were completed.
Imperial

Seeing it "in action" makes me like it a bit more.

It's a good ship design. It's just not a good destroyer design.

With the refitted Zaku Is and its small size, it seems like it would be better-suited for recon work or skirmishing with training battalions.
This space for rent
toysdream

That's pretty much what happened. According to the Action Graphic text, the Gagaul was eventually withdrawn from its mobile suit support role and used as a regular destroyer, but some of them were assigned to reconnaissance teams as motherships for the MS-06E.

Back story-wise, the profile text says that this weird little ship was originally created because the Zeon military didn't have enough ships to support all the mobile suits it wanted to deploy on the front lines, so they decided to refit existing vessels to support mobile suits. The Gagaul had no facilities for mobile suit supply and maintenance, which had to be performed by other ships.

It's interesting to note that the Gagaul's length - just under 70 meters - is similar to a lot of mobile armors, so this gives us an additional point of comparison for their specs. It's also not that different from the size of the Jicco (as per the Gihren's Greed cut scene animation), so it kind of seems like this tiny ship should be classified as an assault boat rather than a destroyer.

The one thing that has me curious is the Zaku type depicted in the line art. This looks like a Zaku I, but with a single spike on each shoulder and a blocky box on the back of its head. It also lacks the central bar on its eye slit, and has elbow blocks like those of the Zaku II. Any theories?

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

Regarding the Gagaul itself, my first thought was that it was a spiritual predecessor to the Sinope class patrol ship from Victory Gundam.

It would be interesting to know if the existing design was sued for multiple roles, or if there are more variants of this ship:

-Original version without MS support capabilities.
-Reconverted pure destroyer type.
-MS-06E support type.

Regarding the compariosn with MAs, I think that MAs like the Bygro and weapons like the Magella Tank took into consideration Zeon's lack of soldiers and were the result of developing weapons that would require a single pilot, compared to the multiple people requried to operate a small ships or standard tank. A MA such as the MA-05Ad Big Rang would technically take things up to the next level, by basically providing a single pilot the control of an entire ship, as we could assume from the description of the Big Rang being the fusion of a Bygro and the fuselage of a battleship.

By the way, I would love to see MSV-R showing what kind of battleship was the Big Rang's lower section taken from.

As for the Zaku in the lineart, if I had to take a wild guess, I would propose it to be the competition of the MS-06A, much like the YMS-07A and YMS-08A.

Maybe we could have this MS-05 variant be a CQC-focused version of the MS-05, much like the supposed role of the MS-06FS. The Gouf, a melee type MS, is also equipped with two spike shoulders. That way, the spikes of the MS-06C could be said to be an idea taken from the losing design in order to address the MS-06A lacking melee combat capabilities.

This only an idea, but it would have been interesting to see some Zaku II units equipped with two spike shoulders or two shoulder shields, which could indicate their role, meaning that the former would be a configuration focused for melee combat, while the 2 shield configuration could be used by artilley support units, equipped with leg missile launchers and bazookas/Magella guns and which would not be expected to engage in direct combat, thus preferring to improve their defense capabilities.
balofo

MSV-RはFF-X5 プロトコアファイター。 合体試験等でプロトガンダムの中の人に。 後にX7に改修。テストベッドに使用。 MSV-Rは次号最終回。

MSV-R ends next month!
Gelgoog Jager

balofo wrote:MSV-RはFF-X5 プロトコアファイター。 合体試験等でプロトガンダムの中の人に。 後にX7に改修。テストベッドに使用。 MSV-Rは次号最終回。

MSV-R ends next month!
Google translation:

MSV-R is FF-X5 proto core fighter. The person in the proto Gundam in union test or the like. The renovation to X7 later. Used for test bed. MSV-R is the next issue last time.

I'm a bit sad to hear that the next one will be the final volume of MSV-R, though I do can understand that some volumes were just dragging out the series, like MS-06D variant or the customized Zakus. Still I think they could have instead made more unique variants of other units. We also didn't see a variant of the Acguy or Gogg (though the Jurich could fit the bill for the later), which were other common MS.

Anyway, I only hope that the final volume will be an amazing design to close the MSV-R chapter. We know that we probably won't get a new EF MS, so that either leaves a new Zeon MS/MA or a vehicle or ship.

I'll personally keep my fingers crossed hoping for a new variant of one of Zeon's best weapons, such as a Kampfer, Zeong, Big Zam, Elmeth, Gwazine or Dolos.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Lockwood-class http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Lockwood-class

made by the Federation Navy before the war, looks a bit like the mad angler
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!