Gundam 00's mech "influences"...

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
santadi0
Location: Cryosleep in Cryotube 2... Oh, wait, the Covenant are here?!?!

Gundam 00's mech "influences"...

hmmm... I've noticed a few similarities on the mech designs in 00 from other mech series. I know there were outside influences when they designed them, but I wanna know which ones.
Can anyone point them out?
"Don Corleone--I am going to leave you now--- because I know-- that you are busy"
r34racer01

Re: Gundam 00's mech "influences"...

Well I believe 00 had the same mechanical designer as Full Metal Panic, so I guess you can see some similarities between the Gundams and Arbalest & the other Arm Slaves.
Don't steal, the government hates competition.
santadi0
Location: Cryosleep in Cryotube 2... Oh, wait, the Covenant are here?!?!

The Gadessa, Garazzo, and Gadess; they look like they were influenced by ZOE.. Were they?
"Don Corleone--I am going to leave you now--- because I know-- that you are busy"
radioactive28

santadi0 wrote:The Gadessa, Garazzo, and Gadess; they look like they were influenced by ZOE.. Were they?
They look nothing like ZOE, to me anyway.
Linebarrels seems to be influenced by ZOE though, or shared the same designer.
Last edited by radioactive28 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
blind_dead_mcjones

radioactive28 wrote:
santadi0 wrote:The Gadessa, Garazzo, and Gadess; they look like they were influenced by ZOE.. Were they?
They look nothing like ZOE, to me anyway.
Linebarrels seems to be influenced by ZOE though, or shared the same designer.
they had the same designer, at least they lack 'cock'pits
on the subject of the Ga line of suits, for some reason they reminded me of linebarrels, and possibly tekkaman blade, along with some other's i can't remember exactly.

and the Gn-X's arms look similar to the Ishtar MkII's from gasaraki, whilst the rest of it's design (along with the ahead) drew similarities to FMP's codarl's

must say, the Flag and enact were unlike anything i've seen mecha wise
Flag Fighter for life!
krullnar

You know I noticed that the Ahead looks alot like the M6 from FMP.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Amadi Akintunde

Exia takes alot of it's designs from the Temjin from Virtual On, if anyone noticed. The mechd esigns of 00 were wonderful; most of them, anyways. The Gundams included. Masurao took a bit to grow into, but once I saw Susanowo, Iit was love.

Reborn Gundam had to be one of the better designs of 00, though.

But the 00F Gundams still take the cake for best design.
ZeroBusterXX

I don't see many of these "influences" that you guys are seeing. The M6 looks nothing like the Ahead and the Exia doesn't have much in common with the Temjin, other than them both having a dual sword/gun weapon, and a similar paint scheme.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/ ... shnell.jpg That's the Bushnell and it looks nothing like an Ahead. In the slightest.
Toxicity

Alot of the older stuff like Teirens and Anfs remind me of wanzers.
Red Comet90

Toxicity wrote:Alot of the older stuff like Teirens and Anfs remind me of wanzers.
I never thought about that before but you have a point. They have a similar feel to the Wanzers in how they are built except for the wheels underneath the feet.

Most of the designs in 00 though seemed pretty unique to me especially ones already pointed out like the Flag which really does look like nothing ever seen before. Anyone ever wonder what the O Gundam was based off of? :lol:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
radioactive28

These 3 descended directly from GRM Gundam, which was done by Yanase Takayuki.

Anyway, I think there's some confusion over looking alike physically, and having influencing design elements.

For example, in FMP, you'll see the designer's preference of torso and leg design carry over to the Exia, 00 and GN-X.
Similarly, some people immediately pointed out Arche's designer after seeing its long and slender limbs.
Some designers have their choice of curves (or lack of), which manifest on both humanoid and non-humanoid machines.
Genocide

Red Comet90 wrote:I never thought about that before but you have a point. They have a similar feel to the Wanzers in how they are built except for the wheels underneath the feet.
Actually, Wanzers can be outfitted with legs that have wheels (or at least a "skidding" ability). Personally, the Tieren just looked like a bulky Zaku offshoot to me, although it's given a much more industrial look. There was obviously a lot of influence from past Gundam shows, which shouldn't be much of a surprise - although some are more subtle than others.
Red Comet90

Genocide wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:I never thought about that before but you have a point. They have a similar feel to the Wanzers in how they are built except for the wheels underneath the feet.
Actually, Wanzers can be outfitted with legs that have wheels (or at least a "skidding" ability). Personally, the Tieren just looked like a bulky Zaku offshoot to me, although it's given a much more industrial look. There was obviously a lot of influence from past Gundam shows, which shouldn't be much of a surprise - although some are more subtle than others.
Thats exactly what I meant by except. Wanzers have those wheels underneath the legs but the Tierens don't. Sorry if you misunderstood me sometimes my sentences are overly wordy. I have to agree it felt like the Zaku just bulkier and the Flag came across as a kinda GM counterpart and when I say that I mean to the most minimal degree.

-- Haman Karn
Aegis

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:they had the same designer, at least they lack 'cock'pits
Eh? But... they don't have the same designers. At all. Any influences from an orbital frame in the end is really subtle at best.
ZeroBusterXX

Aegis wrote:
blind_dead_mcjones wrote:they had the same designer, at least they lack 'cock'pits
Eh? But... they don't have the same designers. At all. Any influences from an orbital frame in the end is really subtle at best.
I am really happy that I am not the only one who doesn't see these "influences". But I think he is referring to the mechanical designer for Linebarrels of Iron, who also did designs for the ZOE anime and The Fist of Mars for the GBA.
blind_dead_mcjones

ZeroBusterXX wrote:. But I think he is referring to the mechanical designer for Linebarrels of Iron, who also did designs for the ZOE anime and The Fist of Mars for the GBA.
correct.
Red Comet90 wrote: I have to agree it felt like the Zaku just bulkier and the Flag came across as a kinda GM counterpart and when I say that I mean to the most minimal degree.
indeed, and the realdo and Hellion felt similar to the Taurus and Leo respectively....wait a minute..*snaps fingers* now i remeber what the Gadessa/Garazzo/Gadess's oversized shoulders reminded me of. the Virgo's and Virgo II's
Flag Fighter for life!
Amadi Akintunde

ZeroBusterXX wrote:I don't see many of these "influences" that you guys are seeing. The M6 looks nothing like the Ahead and the Exia doesn't have much in common with the Temjin, other than them both having a dual sword/gun weapon, and a similar paint scheme.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/ ... shnell.jpg That's the Bushnell and it looks nothing like an Ahead. In the slightest.
Your powers of observation are rather weak, then.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Amadi/Ot ... e_off..png
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Familiar?

Season2 seems to be on scifi now. I didn't even notice. D=
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Red Comet90

Seraphic wrote:Familiar?

Season2 seems to be on scifi now. I didn't even notice. D=
That looks just like the Gundam Virtue. Is that part of one of the 00 side stories? It looks too familiar to the Virtue.

It starts today. :mrgreen:

-- Haman Karn
ZeroBusterXX

Amadi Akintunde wrote:
ZeroBusterXX wrote:I don't see many of these "influences" that you guys are seeing. The M6 looks nothing like the Ahead and the Exia doesn't have much in common with the Temjin, other than them both having a dual sword/gun weapon, and a similar paint scheme.

Your powers of observation are rather weak, then.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Amadi/Ot ... e_off..png
Just looking at the Temjin, I can tell it was designed to be the "main character Virtuaroid", it has just all around "Gundamish" features, because it was designed by Katoki and it was supposed to look like something a protagonist would use. I'm guessing that most mechanical designers for Gundam who design the main mobile suit also have the same thing in mind when they design the look of said mobile suit.

I still say the Exia and the Temjin aren't particularly close looking other than a weapon that is similar in purpose and a paint scheme.