Episode 26 - Operation Maelstrom

The last RPG was "Zeta Gundam: Tales from the Frontlines - The AEUG" which ran from 2006-14.
Fritz Ashlyn

Episode 26 - Operation Maelstrom

{OOC: Everyone continue posting here.}

- Gryps 2 Space -

- The Dervish -
- Bridge -

-00:00:46
-00:00:45
-00:00:44

Abbey looked away from the countdown timer and shut the visor of his bulky normal suit with a slightly trembling hand. "Stand by, everyone. Just do your job and count on the man next to you..." he said calmly, steadying the bridge crew who were all a little on-edge. The 4th Squadron had finished transit to Gryps unhindered with the rest of the AEUG fleet and was drawn out line abreast with the bulk of the other ships; the full military power of the rebel organization was present and aligned towards the same objective. Gryps 2 hung ahead of them, the biggest object clearly visible from the ship's point of view, and all around it were a collection of angular shapes and angry thruster flares - the Axis. "Thirty seconds, sir," Wade said, his voice coming through Abbey's helmet sounding robotic. "Remember, we're waiting on the Argama for the signals. When they say move we move - let the mobile suits sweep our path," the captain responded, making sure his helmsman was ready to keep the ship in line to tighten their grip on the laser.

"Yes, sir," Wade answered with a confident nod, "Nothing is stopping this ship,". Abbey moved to clasp his hands behind his back and found the suit restricted his movement just a bit too much. "I hate these damn things," he muttered, putting his fidgeting hands back at his sides, "Sometimes I'd rather--". He was cut off by a click and the communication connection to the flagship suddenly lighting up. "All ships proceed towards Gryps 2 at full speed! Operation Maelstrom is a go!" Bright announced just as a flat tone began to sound. Abbey's jaw set as he looked up to find +00:00:08 staring him coldly in the face. "No going back now..." he muttered under his breath. He shut his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath as the crew waited expectantly for orders. "You heard the man. Let's go," he finally said, opening his eyes. He gestured forward and ordered, "Start moving us into our attack arm, full speed. All MS teams stand by for launch - wait for the sensor scan to finish,". "Yes, sir!" was the reply from the operators, and a whirlwind of activity began.

Abbey slowly turned and climbed into his command chair as the ship finished preparing for combat. Looking ahead to the section of Gryps 2 they'd be focusing their attack on, he could already see the pinprick lights of at least two dozen mobile suits and a handful of ships. "God, please don't let us fail. Not now," he quickly prayed. The continued existence of the AEUG and the lives of the people of Granada depended on their success or failure. "Captain, we'll be at the outer edge of gunnery range in six minutes," Jungst announced, passing along word from the gun crew and spotters. "We'll hold fire until we're in position and our MS are engaged," Abbey answered as he took the set of field glasses offered to him by Filmore.

- Hangar -

The launch standby alarm was still angrily sounding as Fritz made his way across the catwalk to do a final last-minute check on his team and their MS. He raised the visor of his helmet as he came to a stop at the shoulder of Celeste's suit, and he ducked under the railing and floated to the already shut cockpit hatch. Not thinking anything of it, he rapped on the metal hatch and waited with his hands resting on his hips. After a few moments with no reaction, he squatted down next to the cockpit with brows knit and knocked harder. He was reaching out to manually open the hatch when it finally slid open, and Celeste had risen from her seat to meet him at the opening. "What's wrong?" Fritz asked, initially not looking past Angelina. "No, nothing. I'm just-- I'm fine," she said, smiling faintly but looking distracted. Fritz craned his neck and looked past her into the cockpit. "You've got to be kidding me," he grunted, leaning in past Celeste to get a better look at what he thought he was seeing.

Celeine Caro'd made an annoyed noise and then slowly peered out from where she had been hiding behind the seat and controls. "Uh, hi. Of course it's you," she said, looking both embarrassed to be caught stowing away and angry that it was Fritz that had found her there. "No. Absolutely not. No way," Fritz commanded, pointing at Celeine and then at the hatch, indicating she should get out immediately. "If this is the idea you two cooked up, then forget about it," he said, looking to Celeste. "Fritz, don't be a jerk. If he's out there we have to try," Celeine said, inserting herself between him and Angelina. Fritz defiantly jutted out his jaw and responded curtly, "He's not going to be out there. The Titans aren't here. Now get out and stop distracting my pilots,". "Fine!" Caro'd humphed, putting a hand against Fritz' chest and pushing him out of the way. She climbed out of the cockpit and turned around on the shoulder to look back in at Celeste. "Be careful out there. We'll get our chance," she said before Fritz shooed her away.

At Jacob's Rick Dias, Dr. M fumbled with the helmet of his provided normal suit as he tried to get it secured. As he fought the seals on the neck, he looked around at all the gleaming Anaheim Electronics products that were about to go back into combat. And most of them featured major systems or additions that were of his design. He almost felt like a proud father. The Gate of Zedan had really been more of a dress rehearsal than a debut for his new ideas - Gryps 2 was opening night. The doctor smiled, knowing his machines would work perfectly. Another alarm bell began to ring and red lights began to blip above the hangar exits. "Clear the hangar! All personnel clear the hangar! Get to your launch stations and prep for combat duty!" Chief Polk yelled, his voice carrying across the wide open space. "Let's go, doc. You can stay with us and work on the combat repairs team or head to sick bay to watch and wait it out with Rem," Sager said, patting Dr. M on the shoulder. "Ah, yes," Merkwürdigliebe nodded, "I believe I'll go and keep Mr. Banner company for a while. I'll be back down here if things get, eh, interestink,".

- Sick Bay -

"Thanks. That'll be fine," Rem nodded with a polite smile, allowing the nurse to go back to work. She finished securing the monitor in place and made sure it was connected to one of the observation feeds before moving away to finish prepping the room. "You just can't stop working, huh?" Dr. Lekarz chuckled from Rick Archer's bedside. "I've come this far... Kinda hard to ignore the battle you're in the middle of, anyway," Rem answered, not looking away from the screen. The picture was quiet at the moment, focusing past the launch decks and off the starboard bow. The nose of a Salamis Kai was just visible as a fuzzy blur at the edge of the picture. "I've seen enough battles," the doctor replied, "I hope this one isn't another Hatte shoal zone,".

- The Hamburg -
- Bridge -

"Everything is functioning properly, sir. We're ready to go," Lt. Stalvern confidently reported, his nearly omnipresent clipboard clutched in his now-gloved hand. "Excellent," Loweno beamed, leaning forward slightly in his chair, "Full combat alert. Keep us even with the Dervish and get the MS team ready to launch. I want us at the tip of the spear, John,". Stalvern smirked slightly and quipped, "Plan A it is then, sir,". He relayed orders to the helm and comm operator and then put on his helmet and locket it into place. "I hope I'm not getting too predictable," Loweno mused jokingly. He rested back in his command chair and blew out a big breath. "Gentlemen, by this time tomorrow I expect us to be in control of a colony laser. Don't disappoint me,".

- Hangar -

"What is it?"

Al's first panicked instinct had been to snatch the Cyclops Team patch from Paris' hand and make an attempt to change the subject. But instead he slowly reached out for it, his hand stopping halfway to hers. "It, uh..." he had stammered, trying to figure out a way to put into words what it meant to him or even where it was from. He withdrew his hand and answered, "It's an insignia patch. It belonged to s-someone that...". He stopped and clenched his jaw to keep his voice from wavering and continued, "Someone that meant a lot to me,". He had stood there and stared at the old bit of stitched cloth in her hand thinking about his childhood memories of Christina. He wondered where she was now... "You keep it," he had said finally, smiling at her.

"Sir, what is it?"

"Huh?" Al snapped out of his daydream and found himself zoning out staring past the face of a mechanic, "Oh. I, uh... I forgot what I was going to ask you,". The mechanic shrugged as he backed away from the cockpit hatch and said, "You got about five minutes to remember if it's important, ensign. We're about to cut out of here and let you guys get ready to launch,".

- The New Yark -
- Hangar -

In the New Yark's busy hangar, three of its four pilots were clustered together above the Nemo of Thibaut Chareux as they waited for the launch orders to come down. "So Thibaut, what are you going to do after all this mess is sorted out?" Waclaw asked as he finished off a packet of water. Chareux grimaced and chastised him, "You don't ask that! Now you've jinxed me,". Ramon threw his head back (and his hips forward) and laughed, "Hey~! Don't be that way! Answering and ignoring superstition, hoo!". Thibaut shook his head and glumly answered, "Fine. When this is over I'm going home. I've had enough adventure for one lifetime I think,".
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Fritz Ashlyn

Re: Episode 26 - Operation Maelstrom

- Near Gryps 2 -

- The Kirov -
- Bridge -

Back on the bridge after a short rest and a bit of an argument with the ship's doctor, Capt. Trent leaned back in his command chair and watched the situation unfold at Gryps 2 through the constant haze of pressure. The AEUG had slowly come into sensor range over the last hour, and were now just barely visible as specks far off of Echo's starboard range. From the safety of their current position they would have a decent overlook from which to monitor the struggle for the colony laser and the last part of the surveillance team's sortie. Trent pushed back the sleeve of his coat and looked at his watch, noting that the Eye-Zacks should be finishing up in about fifteen minutes unless their lead pilot decided to extend the mission. If he did, Trent knew that would almost certainly mean they would be trying to extract during the battle. And that would mean it would be more likely that they would be spotted by the Zeon or the AEUG.

"The pilots are still on stand-by?" Trent half stated, half asked. "Yes, sir. Until the recon team has returned safely, as ordered," Mortimer answered from the helm. "Fyodor," the captain continued, looking to the comm station, "Is the fleet still quiet? We haven't had any messages since we arrived?". The operator turned in his seat to face the captain and shook his head, "No, sir. Nothing. Everything's been quiet since we left, captain. Would you like to attempt to contact the Jupitris?". There was just the slightest hesitation before he said "Jupitris", but he did his duty all the same. Trent shook his head decisively at that suggestion. The less he had to speak to them the better. "No. But speak up if anything comes down the line,".

- Gryps 2 Space, Ahead of the Kirov -

His helmet visor up, the Eye-Zack team leader fanned himself as he watched his computer working to compile all the information he had been gathering. Once the data was backed up and copies were stored in the data pods attached to the suit's back, he could make the decision to pull his team out or stay a little longer to get a look at the AEUG. Several more Axis patrols had launched and swept areas in and around the debris field but none had come close enough to budge him or his two wingmen. The latest one was far out ahead of the Axis ships and hadn't come anywhere close to them, and they would likely turn back soon to land and refuel before the AEUG were in range. Anything that made his job quieter was fine by him. The radome monoeye rotated again, clicking into place and zooming in on the incoming AEUG fleet. Whatever information they could gather now on them would help in the final slugfest.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Fritz Ashlyn

- Gryps 2 -

- The Bindra -
- Bridge -

After taking a minute or two to keep himself from hyperventilating using a paper bag, Capt. Wald glided onto the bridge and made sure his collar and cape were straight. Patting the cold sweat from his brow, he looked over the display monitors and then turned queasily to Vada to ask, "Has the situation changed?". "The AEUG are still advancing on Gryps 2, sir. They'll be in our forward defensive units' gunnery range in approximately four minutes," Vada answered. "Sir, the Trammel's mobile suit team is cancelling their security flight and are returning. We're being asked to launch our mobile suits," another one of the operators said. "Haman-sama has instructed all ships to hold position until relieved or a general retreat is ordered," Pizal ordered, sounding a bit steadied by the mention of Haman, "I want our Gaza team launched as soon as possible to relieve Joson's unit,".

"Yes, sir. I'll pass the word along..." Vada responded. Wald could feel the icy edge of a panic attack coming on again as he watched the fuzzy shapes of the AEUG ships slowly come into focus on the long range monitor. "Raquel," he blurted, his voice almost cracking like a teenage boy's, "Make sure the ship stays oriented properly to provide fire support, but don't give up ground until we're ordered to withdraw,". He tugged down the front of his tunic to straighten it out and cleared his throat. "Everyone prepare for combat," he ordered, overcompensating and making his voice much lower than normal.

- Hangar -

To say that Julian Meighan was annoyed with Kenneth Graden would be an understatement. Because he was respectful of authority and Graden technically outranked him, he had dutifully taken over passing out food from Gwen, and he had done a proper job of it. But that didn't mean he enjoyed it. If Graden thought he could get under his skin by making him do undignified work... well, he was right. But he was also being irresponsible. Meighan was clearly the most valuable man in the team, and wasting his time handing out meals was just plain foolish in addition to being spiteful. He made a mental note to report this once the battle was over. He fixed his helmet to his normal suit and adjusted the visor, bringing down the clear face shield. At least he was being allowed to fight, and he had a functional Gaza-C in one piece. Once they were launched and in combat he'd be able to prove his worth without Wald, Graden or anyone keeping him down.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Tangerine

- The Hamburg –

Technicians and mechanics were everywhere in the hangar, doing their last check and making sure everything will go as they should be. “This is it,” Irene said to herself. All the waiting, preparing and planning comes to this very moment. She hoped for the best for herself and the crew. “May the good ones win.” She shut her visor and started her Mobile Suit.

A communication tone was heard, it was from one of the ship’s technician. “I don’t think you’ll change your mind but I need to ask one more time about that software upgrade you installed earlier. It’s not too late to change your mind and change back to original software you know. We’ll do it in no time.” His sounds seem pleaded. Irene on the other hand was laughing. “Cut it out Dan! You worry too much about it. My friend and I made it ourselves when we were on the company. Besides, the chief himself said he found no anomaly.”

He almost let out a groan before admitting defeat. “All right then. I’ll clear you out this time. We.. We’ll talk about this again after you return. You, me and the chief,” a moment of silence as Irene prepared her system. “Our life depends on you, Miss Irene. Don’t let us down. Good luck. We’ll wait for your return.”

Irene smiled and moved her suit toward the elevator, grabbing her MS rifle and prepared to launch. As the elevator hatch was opening Irene could hear her own breath while she appreciated the view of open space. The dark horizon was filled with numerous numbers of ships, they looked like little dots at such range. A colony was seen on the background along with the stars. “Gryps,” she muttered. And then she realized the Hamburg was at the very front of the fleet. She grinned at that realization. Capt. Loweno was indeed a man of his word. The tip of the spear as he always said.
blind_dead_mcjones

-The Dervish-
-Hangar-

seated within the cockpit of his assigned Rick Dias, Wales was quivvering with anticipation, to the unobservant one would think that he was shaking due to nervousness but truth be told he was practically giddy with excitement to the point that he was almost chuckling to himself.

as the launch standy alarm sounded he tried to compose himself, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself down. ok get it together, no doubt wes will be comming by to make checks on the pilots, he doesn't need to know that you might be a bit...off. he leaned his head back for a bit before gazing around, seeing what the other pilots were doing on the panoramic monitor before turning his attention down to the display screen in front of him, "hmm what to start with after launching, the bazooka or the beam pistols?" he mused out loud.
Flag Fighter for life!
ChrisABlair

-The New Yark-
-Hanger-

Ethan had just finished the final adjustments on his Nemo when he saw the other three.

"...when this is over, I'm going home. I've had enough adventure for one lifetime I think." He heard Thibaut say.

He gently maneuvered out of his cockpit to join the three.

"Personally, I haven't had enough adventure." He said as he floated above them. "I don't know what I'd do with myself if I were stuck somewhere called 'home'. I think I'd go insane." He knew this sounded almost childish, but he had dreams.

"Anyways, sirs, I've got your back. I'll be back in my Nemo if you need anything."
mcred23

-The Dervish-
-Hangar-

Eddie pulled on his helmet as he floated into the hangar and quickly made his way down to Team 2's suits. Only Cowboy's cockpit was closed, but they still had a few minutes, and Team 2 was usually the last one launched, and Eckardy simply didn't mind if Sophie and Bernard took their time. He kicked off the catwalk and landed on the shoulder of his own Rick Dias Custom to find Tony Jones. Eddie grinned and the smaller man, who instantly held his hands up. "Come on, Eddie!"

"56 to 7!" Eckardy struggled not to laugh as he reported the score.

"Damn it, the Giants are stacked! We stood no chance!" Jones pleaded to the fellow football fan with a weak grin.

"56 to 7!" Eddie repeated as he got into the cockpit. "And it would have been a shut out if Thompson didn't f*** it all up with that last minute drive!"

"Oh, blame us!" Jones chuckled.

Eddie grinned back as he got in the seat. "Hey, the Jags made a living this year on those nutso last minute drives an' s***, but you people had no friggin' chance! Ford was in a groove all season, baby!" Eddie began flipping the proper switches and the MSA-099S began to power up. "You guys could have gone down as the first team ever shut out in a Super Bowl."

"Some honor," Tony snorted, "Call me when New Yark isn't f***in' loaded anymore." Eddie laughed and waved him away. "Good luck, ya bastard!"

"Thanks!" Eddie called as Jones kicked off the shoulder to check on something else. Eddie left the cockpit hatch open for a moment and lowered the visor of his helmet as all the Rick Dias' systems came on line. The comm system was one of the first, which he prompted keyed. "How the hell are we, Team 2?"

There was a quick burst of static before Marvin's face popped up in one of the screens, already sitting in his cockpit. "I'm the only one here, Eddie." Marvin sighed.

"Well, give 'em a minute." Eddie grinned before checking the status of his beam rifle.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
mcred23

-The Kalinin-
-Hangar-

Bate was the first down to the hangar at the sound of the standby alarm, as usual. Runnels was second, also as usual. Both didn't waste a second as they floated down to their Marasais. Both had their machines powering on in seconds, and their first actions, as always, was to get the communications going. Bate quickly made a call to the bridge. "What's the situation?"

"Hold on, sir." The communications tech reported.

The screen went black for a moment before Commander Nguyen's face popped up. "The AEUG is getting closer to Gryps." Nguyen monotoned as he pulled on his normal suit helmet.

Bate frowned. "So why are we going on stand by?" He barely contained his minor disgust. Bate knew the AEUG was getting close, but they hadn't passed on anything else to the Kalinin MS Team.

"We may have to extract the recon team." Nguyen stated flatly as his visor came down. "We are on combat alert until they return or we bring them out, Bate."

"Yes sir." Bate cut the comm link and instantly another light flashed in the cockpit. He pushed the proper button and Janice Runnels face appeared.

"Hicks is here." She reported and quickly killed the connection. A moment later, Bate's screens came up. He could see Runnels Marasai was fully ready, and the monoeye of Hicks machine flashed, but Arc Sunoue and Dwayne Craig had yet to arrive. They all knew to report in to Bate when they arrived, but it still took Roger Hicks nearly a minute longer than it should have to get his Marasai fully ready.

"Uh-um H-Hicks ready for action, sir." Hicks stammered, already in a slight panic. Bate merely nodded, which the young man saw and at least had the sense to end the communication. It was something, however small. Now all Alpha had to do was wait for the other two pilots and pray that he and Runnels wouldn't have to lead those three into action just yet...

Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

-The Hamburg-
-Locker Room-

Paris took a deep breath, held it for several seconds, and then let it out. She was ready for this. Ready for the battle that would hopeful change the course of the war. However, why was she so jumpy? It seemed like her every single one of her senses was hyper aware. Everything was clear and picture perfect in her eyes, but on the other hand every noise was loud and threatening. Paris was happy when she was finally the last person left in the locker room, because there would finally be no more noise of lockers slamming, of whispers and final good wishes. It was like a funeral. Everyone being quite and sentimental about what was about to come and what would happen after; Paris didn’t like funerals. It reminded her too much of her parents funeral after they had been killed. They had buried empty coffins, due to the fact that there was nothing but pieces left. It was only her and a priest...no one else had come. She could understand the friends of her parents in the transporting business not coming...they had jobs to do. But not a single family member? She knew that her mother and father were scorned by their rich families for being in such a "unseemly" business of transporting goods and people...but she always thought that deep down the rest of her family loved them...she had been wrong. It was in that moment of looking around the graveyard on that Colony; Paris realized she was alone. There was no one else who could look after her.

Until now...Paris smiled as she fished inside her pocket and drew out the Cyclops Patch that Al had given her. It seemed important to him...very important…and he had given it to her. Something this precious...

Paris smile widened, somehow holding this patch made her feel better. It was tangible proof that someone cared and the fact that it was important to her meant that she care about Al as well. Paris blinked in surprise at her own thoughts, she cared about Al? She had barely had the time to really get to know the guy, but he seemed friendly and kind, if only a bit awkward in social situations. However, there was no denying that there was an attraction between them. Paris wasn't sure if it was just a crush or something more...but Paris made a promise to herself to find out. Of course she should be in her Nemo right now, preparing for Operation Maelstrom. So after the battle... after the battle they would talk and then she would see.

Grabbing her helmet Paris pushed herself out of the door and floated out into the hanger bay. She smiled and nodded to the few people who wished her luck, but her attention was focused on Al's Nemo. As she floated past his open cockpit, she caught his eye, flashed him a smile and blew his a kiss. Turning away -laughing to herself- Paris floated into her Nemo's cockpit. Her unit. Her beautiful mechanic masterpiece. Call her sentimental, but Paris felt as if there was a living presence inside the Nemo that gave her strength...of course she felt that way about all mobile suits.

She quickly sat down in the cockpit and sealed her helmet around her neck as the technicians and mechanics started clearing the hanger. Paris looked out over the mess of mechanics and technicians as they milled about and smiled...this was her home now just like her old transport ship, Daisy's Voice, she would protect this ship with her life if need be. Seeing that Lieutenant Kawamura's Nemo was already moving, Paris started up her machine, closed the cockpit and grabbed her shield and rifle. Now all she had to do was wait for the launching orders and it would begin....
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
wonton bob

- The Kirov -
- Gamma Team Ready Room -

Jason had just finished adjusting his belt when Faraday spoke up. It didn't faze him that a replacement pilot was sent, until recently a rash of bad luck seems to have fallen on some of the crew. This only reaffirmed his need to escape with Grace before they were thrown into the grinder themselves.

"Hi, I just got transfered here, I'm Lt. JG Aaron Faraday."

"..jesus.." Jason muttered to himself as he looked over to Faraday. He didn't mean to come off as sour but he didn't have the time to meet & greet a new guy who probably wouldn't last a day.

"Listen up new guy, the forces that be have lead you here probably 'cause your time is short. But here's a few pointers -our C.O. is a nut case..stay AWAY from him," he points to Faraday to get his warning across.
"He probably won't come back from the next mission..he likes to fly solo anyway. And don't trust anyone here...it's not safe," he says in a sadden tone as he switches the safety off his pistol. Without looking back at Faraday he walks out to his initial destination. "I'd check your own suit..too many accidents around here."
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Inferno

-The Herakles-
-Pilot Quarters-

Orsino had come back to his quarters after he realized he had almost fallen asleep in his cockpit. He could smell blood in the air, and it had him at an odd point of relaxation. He needed a moment where he could get some piece and quiet, and the MS Bay was a bit too noisy.

As he plopped down onto his bed, he slowly fell into a very light nap. He began to see the same things over and over again. It was a face, the face of his commanding officer in Solomon, telling him that he was going to be transferred elsewhere. Orsino knew then and now it wasn't because of "a need for more experienced personnel elsewhere". Rather, it was because he was too f***ed in the head to be seen by high command during the Naval Review. If they saw that people like him were allowed to pilot mobile suits, what would they say? He saw Marco's face, and remembered his anger at the fact that Orsino didn't value loyalty. He saw how unnerved everyone else got around him.

Orsino felt himself fill with anger. Nobody understood. Nobody got why he did what he did. He felt alone and powerless in a ship of fools. He felt the calmness of battle fade to give way to his rage against peace. Knowing that he wasn't going to get any sleep, he opened his eyes and got up. He needed to head back to the MS Deck to look at his Hizack and clear his head.
PhantomBread

-The Herakles-
: Hanger Bay :

Marco di Manco sat silently in the cockpit of his mobile suit, fingers rhythmically tapping against the arm of his linear seat. He was suited up, helmet floating next to him as simply waited for an order. He expected such an order fairly soon; something in his bones told him that it was coming. Well, that and a decent analytical mind combined with enough scuttlebutt to fuel it.

The waiting was always the worst part, though. Always. He picked up his novel and flipped to his bookmark. It helped calm him, keep his mind off things. For example, a certain set of ensigns that worried him for very separate reasons.
Rob DS Zeta

-The Kalinin-
-Hangar-

Arc floated through the Salamis Kai's hangar as fast as he could without loosing control of himself. He had already gotten into his gear and had his helmet on, so now all he had to do was mount up. He quickly jostled off of a guard rail and into his Marasai's cockpit.

Doing his best to keep a level head, Arc strapped himself in and started the machine up. He checked the systems as the suit booted up. Everything was green. He then activated his comm so that he could report to Commander Bate.

"Sunoue here. Awaiting your orders, Commander."
*insert witty eyecatch here*
hellbore

- The Dervish -

Adam pulled down is helmet's visor and let out a deep breath. This would only be his second combat sortie with the 4th Squadron, and his first with the new team. He looked around the panoramic monitor, seeing the impressive array of Rick and Kanone Dias' in the hanger, then imagined the other ships with their complement of Nemo's. He then tried to multiply that across the whole fleet but quickly become lost when he realised he didn't know it's full size. Even so, it was an impressive number of mobile suits poised to attack Gryps.

He fiddled with the pilot suits seals and the linear seat controls, doing the nth check that all was ready. Momentarily satisfied that all was ready, Adma settled back into his seat awaiting his Teams CO to give the order.

- The Hamburg -

Randy's Nemo stomped noisily over to the hanger elevator as the last of the hanger crew moved away from the mobile suits. The only one left behind him was Al, Irene and the new girl, Paris, having already moved ahead. He opened a comm channel to his team.

"Alright, everybody." he said, as three windows opened up on his HUD, showing three faces absorbed in some task or another. "This is it, what we've dreamed of. Once we have Gryps the Titans and federation will have to respect the AEUG." He thought back to his lost ship and comrades. He glanced momentarily at Izuhara. Some troubled him about the kid, ever since their first sortie. "I want you all to watch each others backs. Don't try to be a hero. Focus on the mission and keeping each other alive. Good luck."

- The Kirov -

Kate, mirroring many if her fellow pilots, sat ready in her Marasai, eyes closed, arms crossed infront of her. She had already run through every check imaginable. Something inside her told her that much would be decided today, here at Gryps 2. She opened her eyes and glanced around the Alexandria-class ship's cavernous hanger. Several suits still had mechanics swarming over them. Not hers. She had waved away, preferring to do her own checks just before a mission, trusting them to do their jobs between such times. The hanger was an eclectic mix of blue and orange that was strangely pleasing to the eye.

Clearing her mind of such wandering thoughts, she opened her eyes, focussed on the console in front of her and gripped her controls tightly. If anyone could see her face, they would see a study of concentration.
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
King Monkey

- The Dervish -
- Hangar -

Jacob slipped past Dr. M. and Sager as they vacated the general area of his Mobile Suit. He felt no need to go over or check the Kanone Dias himself. He was certain that either man knew twice as much about the machine as he did and that Sager had a very proficient crew. He paused just outside his Suit, looking it over, though he had to crane his neck a great deal to see all of the massive machine. His attention focused on the canons mounted on the shoulders, wondering if they would be as impressive as they seemed.

Realizing he'd never get an answer to that question until he tried it, he opened up the cockpit and slipped inside. He hardly paid attention as he started up his suit. He'd done it so many times, in simulators, patrols, and combat that he hardly had to think about it. Once he started his fingers moving through the process, they seemed to continue on their own. The only difference was, this time, once he got to the end, he had to activate a couple more systems to start up the cannons on the shoulders.

He hardly noticed when the panoramic view popped up but took his time now to look around. It was a bit disorienting to be able to look to his left and right with an unobstructed view. He knew that the cannons should loom large to either side, but the technological wonder of the panoramic cockpit let him effectively see through them. Still, he paused to make sure he'd gotten into the right machine, finding the systems for the cannons ready.

Perhaps he should have been more worried about the success of this mission. He knew what was riding on it. But they weren't facing the Titans, which meant there was no chance he'd face the blue mobile suit. All he cared about was surviving and making sure that as little of their resources were lost as possible so that they would be prepared for the next battle with the Titans.

"Ltjg. Markado. Ready to launch," he said after keying his radio for his Team's channel. Then he just waited for the order.

- The Bindra -
- Hangar -

Djorn Nachtjaeger was already in his cockpit. He'd been in his cockpit since the moment they'd been put on standby. In fact, he'd been in the hangar since an hour before that. He'd known about the coming mission and the last thing he wanted to do was to miss the action. It was time to teach the AEUG and Titans what it meant to face the glory of Axis.

His Gaza C hummed softly around him, the assorted moving parts vibrating. It was a low thrumming that was almost hypnotic and if he weren't so keyed up with excitement, it might have lulled him into sleep.

As it was, he just hummed along with the noise, humming the Axis Anthem as he awaited the order to launch.
Yep...That's Texas in a nutshell. Why just say "f**k you" when you can put it on a flag?

Want to play an Avenger or Spider-man? Come to Marvel 972: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Marvel_Eart ... hp?act=idx
Xvlai

- Alexandria Class-Kirov -
- Beta Team Ready Room -

After checking over Sven’s Barzam, and finding no irregularities, Wolf and Sven had retired to Beta Team’s Ready Room to wait for Daren and Kate. Sitting at the table Sven watched the door while he absently drummed his left hand’s fingers on his left knee. His right hand hovered near the pistol holster he wore on his right leg. By all accounts he was watching the door, but an unfazed look held his eyes as he delved into his memory. Sven had a lot of worries and about half of them dealt with the problems he knew Wolf had to deal with. Sven was one man, his piloting skills had increased since transferring under Wolf’s wings, but he knew that he was no fleet and Wolf needed a fleet. Still, the destiny’s grime outlook was one of Sven’s lesser worries; he was more concerned on how to see Wolf through to the next battle. At the same time he was trying to puzzle out just where he had heard Heyden before and his place in Black’s plan.

Suddenly becoming animated Sven focused onto Wolf who was standing by the lockers. Wolf was a grown man who could protect himself, but Sven knew better. The destiny had suffered numerous defeats and had so few meaning victories these past few months. In a way Sven felt sorry for the burden Wolf was dealing with, he also felt proud that Wolf was holding up under the circumstances. Word had gotten around the ship about the suicide in the shower, even more interesting had been the rumor that the knife they had left behind was one of the Marine stooges Black had dredged up to put on their ship. Sven had never asked where Wolf had gotten the knife from, or how he had attained it, in fact he wasn’t even curious. What he really wanted to know was how that one act fit into his plans of righting the wrongs and regaining control over some part of the fleet. Sven though was too mindful of his position to ask such pointed questions; his duty was to act when told and act unquestionably.

A few minutes passed in silence when Sven suddenly broke the monotony. Clearing his throat he gestured with his left hand at the now clear board. “Sir, I heard what Te’litha said to you about this upcoming battle. I cannot believe Black ordered your death at least from the hands of Te’litha so soon. Te’litha has always been a loose cannon who was only loyal to his own ideals and I honestly cannot see him following Black as loyally as he has Trent.” Laying his right left on his left knee Sven continued, “Sir I have been thinking about this, and if I may be so bold, I believe Te’litha is acting on his own, and the real organized deadly threat will come from the other pilots whom have infiltrated Task Force Echo.” Gulping Sven glanced nervously at Wolf, he knew he was about to toe a personal line that he had last toed in the locker room, he was about to try and make a decision which could change the destiny. “If they all come at us sir, let Daren and I handle them, your life is worth too much and to much is at risk to have you or your family line die out here.”
The Loser Villain

- The Dervish -
- Sick Bay -

Thinking about what Eddie had said before Fritz had told them about Axis headed for Granada, Sophie stepped into sickbay and walked up to Rem's bed. Without a word she leaned in and planted a firm kiss on his lips. After what felt like an eternity, but was only a quick moment, she stood back up.

"I'll see you soon," she said with a smile. She then ran out before Rem could say a word.

- Hangar -

Terrace sat in his MSA-099S' cockpit, waiting for the order to launch. They'd already begun to close in on Gryps 2, so it was only a matter of time. But his nerves were starting to get to him. So he let his mind swim around in thought. Particularly on the point of why he was assigned a Rick Dias Custom. It was a team leader's suit, not the third seat. But it seemed that Wes wanted to keep his B-Type, so they passed the suit on to him.

Looking out at the hangar in front of him displayed by the cockpit he could see Sophie bounding into the hangar and making a b-line for Team 2's mobile suits.

Sophie had maybe achieved a record time covering the distance between sick bay and the hangar. But she was feeling energized. Seeing that Eddie and Marvin were already in their cockpits, she quickly climbed through the hatch of her C-Type and started up the mobile suits systems.

“I'm here now,” she said over the team wide.

- The Kirov -
- Gamma Team Ready Room -

"..jesus.. Listen up new guy, the forces that be have lead you here probably 'cause your time is short. But here's a few pointers -our C.O. is a nut case..stay AWAY from him. He probably won't come back from the next mission..he likes to fly solo anyway. And don't trust anyone here...it's not safe. I'd check your own suit..too many accidents around here."

Aaron was speechless as Jason left. He didn't even get the pilots name. Just another warning to the chaos of this ship, his CO, and now that his suit could be tampered with.

"Shoot, did he mean normal suit of mobile suit?" he quickly shook his head to try and clear all of the thoughts swarming through his mind. "Damn, why couldn't they have left me on the Buxoro!"

With a sigh he began to inspect the locker he was assigned for anything that might be harmful. He'd start there, and eventually make his way to his mobile suit. After all, if two people say 'Your CO is crazy and you'll probably die if you're not paying attention or if you're paying too much attention,' then maybe there is some thing to be worried about.

- The Buxoro -
- Hangar -

Standby, as always drove Tim Melton nuts. "Wait, wait, wait," he said out loud to anybody that would listen, "My entire time in the military has been making a career out of hurrying up to wait!"

- The Bindra -
- Hangar -

Cracking his knuckles and loosening up whatever else felt stiff, Nikolai then climbed into his Gaza-C's cockpit. No use getting stiff in what was sure to be a very long engagement.

He'd been working hard the whole day. Part of it was spent ushering around Julian Meighan, but now Nikolai was ready to do the job he'd been trained to do. Protecting Axis and the gains they'd already made in the earths sphere was essential for victory. Keeping the colony laser under Axis would certainly help sweep away their enemies.
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
wonton bob

- The Dervish -
- Hangar -

Bernard arrived in full gear at Team 2's section in the hanger. The earlier conversation with AE's lead engineer left him a bit puzzled about Dr. Gerhard's true agenda. The man wasn't here to end war but only to prolong it by studying data from this battle and using it to make more effective killing machines.
Strangely enough, Bernard was hoping the Doc's add on's would give him an edge to take out as many axis as he can before his own time was up. He had decided that this was going to be a one-way trip.
Stepping up near his Rick Dias, he gives a thumbs up to Eddie's suit before entering and starting up his machine's systems.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Ziryab

-Axis-
-The Bindra-

-Bridge-
Ready for combat, Raquel told herself. She refrained from a small urge of twisting about in her normal suit to turn and view the captain with a few encouraging words. Another veteran of the One Year War, like herself, whose cracking nervousness seemed to be slipping through.

But he had every right to be nervous, herself cringing before her monitors with the entire AEUG fleet bearing towards them. She was feeling a strong repetition of history. Defending a celestial object besides a fleet with few veterans in combat and support surrounded by novices and rookies. She shuddered. God please don't let this be a repeat of A Bao A Qu!

-Hangar-
Pris took time to strap herself into her Gaza-C's cockpit seat. Her speed was measured, patiently methodical, finding herself having all the time in the Earthsphere. She was anxious for the battle to get underway. To wipe aside the Federation forces. To see Side 3 again. To hold her daughter again. But this battle would begin when it deemed itself to begin.

Securing her helmet she rapped her knuckle on the console, popping up a vid-screen of her commander Kenneth Graden, the only other veteran soldier she knew on this ship. "Ready for a Round 2 with these people," her question sounding more akin to a cold statement. Her mind suddenly asked her what this situation was like for the other vets. A repetition of history--that could be changed? A chance for revenge or restore what they lost? For her, facing down the Federal forces, Titan and AEUG alike was a death dealing obstacle blocking her desires for a stable life once more.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
mcred23

-The Dervish-
-Hangar-

Sure enough, Sohpie and Bernard were in the hangar within a minute. Sophie annouced it over the Team's channel, while Bernard just gave a thumbs up before entering the cockpit. Eddie gave him a minute to get everything going before he spoke over the channel himself. "Alright folks, you know what to do. We'll probably be last off again, so kick back, relax, and I'll wake ya when we get there." He grinned for the benefit of the small video screen and started to crack his knuckles, wondering himself when they'd actually get off the ship.

Over in his Rick Dias, Marvin simply sat impassive. He had the visor of his brown helmet up and rubbed his chin, mildly annoyed at the small amount of stubble that had grown up. He'd have to shave when he got back, should have done it earlier in the day, but after eating a quick breakfast, he'd ended up sleeping in his room. It had been a dreamless sleep, thankfully, but the kind where it seemed that a second after you closed your eyes it was time to wake up. Cowboy felt reasonably rested, but was still anxious to get this operation over with, if for no other reason than to, hopefully, get everyone else back to normal.