Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fanworks » Advertisements

Post subject: We Remember Love
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:33 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

Visit us!

A relatively new site in weblog format with articles on mostly mecha anime. Not a review site, the writing is mostly exploratory and from a fan's perspective.

I, ghostlightning run the site and my friend mechafetish as well as guests post on occasion.

I'm a relatively newly-minted Gundam fan (mechafetish however, is quite hard core and has been my primary influence), but I'm a Macross lifer (since 1983/84) and have watched super robot anime even before I could talk.

Some sample posts:

Finding your 'Gateway' Gundam

Great Battles in Anime History: The Battle of Saturn's Rings

Toward the Quantification of Love for Animu 1a: Value of Rewatchability through the Lens of Eternal Recurrence

A National Love-affair for a Combining Super Robot: Voltes V

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Last edited by ghostlightning on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:26 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

TOP GUNS: Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory meets Macross Plus as Anime that Have the Most Love for Mecha

There isn’t enough focus on actual mecha in mecha anime. Strange? Yes. Despite the propensity of these shows to act as advertisements for their respective merchendise, I find a lack of actual detailed focus[...]

[...]Are there anime where there is tremendous love for the mecha without compromising the narrative? Love in the sense that’s played out in the development of prototypes, the conduct of field tests, implied and overt devotion from characters, of course live combat… these are the things make real robot anime exhilerating for me. I have two examples, from both of the big real robot franchises: Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory, and Macross Plus.

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:06 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

I had a few ideas on how an anime is produced, though these were from documentaries of western animation, and my own experience as a production assistant for broadcast and film as well as project management of various kinds. Nonetheless I approached my introduction to anime productions with eyes as fresh as I could make them, when TOEI showed us a video of their process as well as their public relations guy Jay Hernandez (who’s an animator himself) giving us the lowdown during our tour. I won’t be able to show you their actual ‘how-to’ video, but I can use images from Otaku no Video!

Steps in Anime Production

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:02 am 
Cardboard Leo Ace

Here my co-writer Mechafetish unearths a tactical lecture delivered to the Britannian Military by Gilbert G. P. Guilford of the Glaston Knights during the intervening years between the defeat of the Black Knights in the First Battle of Tokyo and their re-emergence a year later.

The Battle of Nartita

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Last edited by ghostlightning on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

...but UC is what I love!

http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/gundam-is-much-more-than-the-universal-century-but-uc-is-what-i-love/

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:55 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

In Gundam, war sucks to be sure. But really, people suck.

http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/03/31/zeta-punch/

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post subject: Re: We Remember Love
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:02 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New post: ROCKET PUNCH-DRUNK on Shin Mazinger Z

http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/rocket-punch-drunk-on-shin-mazinger-z/
Excerpt:

Mazinger Z (1974)was one of the first anime I ever saw. It was so long ago (maybe 1979-1980 thereabouts) that I hardly remember anything from it. What I recall about the original anime are from what I read online, and what was hinted at by the Mazinkaiser OVA (2002). So while there is some nostalgia involved in my eager anticipation of Shin Mazinger Z Shougeki Hen, a lot of the eagerness of the anticipation is due to authentic curiosity as to what the story really is.

Post subject: Armored Trooper Votoms
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:06 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

My wife is so cool to have agreed to watch this with me. I think I'm going to enjoy this show.

Mai waifu, SHE IS GAR!

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post subject: Itano Circus
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:56 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post:

"Why fire one missile when you can launch an entire circus!" - Itano Ichiro
Let's talk us some Itano Circus!

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New post!

Keeping it Real Robot

Excerpt:

I’m quite unsure if I’m making any contribution to a real robot typology at all in this post, though I do realize now that the term itself is fan-created; a distinction made by players of the Super Robot Wars series of games from the ’super’ types. The term ’super robot’ is probably first heard in the original OP of Mazinger Z. But if it is a fan-made distinction, then we here at We Remember Love are working towards such a typology...

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:07 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post: My Good Old Boys of Gundam

[contains heavy spoilers for Gundam 00 and Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket]

Analysis of two child characters in Gundam: Al Izuruha and Soran Ebrahim

http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/g-boys/

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:56 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post!: Macross Zero is a peculiar prequel

Excerpt:

[This posts does not use spoiler tags, but provides sufficient warning]

I don’t believe it tells the story of how everything begins. If anything, it introduced or complicated the mysteries of the extended narrative; in particular that of the Protoculture, the mysterious ‘first race’ of beings that spawned galactic civilization. I used to recommend this show as a starting point of the franchise, given its place in the narrative chronology. After my rewatch (my first since I saw it 5 years ago), I’d actually recommend this show to people who have seen most if not all the other shows in the franchise. In any case, this is a beautiful anime.

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

Three new posts!

1. A Tale of Two Episode Twos

I explore the narrative devices employed in Neon Genesis Evangelion 02 and Eureka SeveN 02.

2. There is a Spectre Hanging Over Summer 2009 Anime Season

Here I note how the perceived regurgitation of mecha anime every season is untrue, because there are no mecha shows in the upcoming summer. Also, a personal note on why I love robot anime.

3. Falling in Love with Eureka SeveN

Here I contemplate specific moments when I figure out that a show is going to be a personal favorite, and share when it happened in Eureka SeveN.

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post!

Lies and Truth, Epistemology and Semiotics, to Know Mugi is to know God (Yuri-ka!), The Quixotic Quest of Language; and OH YES Eureka 7

Excerpt:

[This post is quite indulgent, and contains no spoilers].

I’ve fallen pretty hard for Eureka SeveN, having experienced it so far as a delightful coming-of-age love story and the power of friendship with interesting characters painstakingly fleshed out against a backdrop of fruity science fiction and sky-surfing robots. What I didn’t expect is how a recap episode — a convention in anime that most of the time that is treated as filler, provoked me intellectually more than any other show that I’ve seen in years.

What follows is my exploration of the rhetoric of one Stoner, a member of Gekko State and writing staff of Ray=Out magazine. I did not count on him spouting the kind of goobledygook that ended up being so relevant to my interests. [Read More]

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:55 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post!

Eureka SeveN Gives Us a Big Moment to Remember Love By

Excerpt:

This could very well end up being one of my favorite moments of anything. Nothing against Macross or Xam’d. These are great moments in themselves. In the Macross examples, these are exhibitions for the animators calling attention to how cool and exciting things get in the show. In the case of Xam’d, it’s quite special how the female lead does the rescuing, and the execution of the drama is so good that I wholeheartedly forgive the smoky cheesiness of the whole thing. But the whole of Eureka SeveN episode 26 is near perfect, and the moments leading up to this image and the moments immediately after give this even more power. [continue reading]

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:47 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post:

Holland Novak Shows Bits of Characters: Remembering Love For Awesomeness

Part of what made Holland a great character is the play on the references on iconic Gundam characters, without depending on them to establish his own characterization. In this post we explore this and begin to talk about the concept of the homage. [Continue Reading].

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:10 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post!

Macross 2: Lovers Again is on my mind (but does this count as remembering love?)

[This post contains no spoilers]

After watching every single episode in the Macross canon¹, I watched the Macross II: Lovers Again. It’s remarkable in that the series creator Kawamori Shoji, did not participate in this project. Honestly, I expected it to be terrible. However I merely found it pedestrian and boring despite featuring many of the tropes that characterize the Macross franchise. While watching it, I got fixated on rooting out the impact of Kawamori’s absence. Continue reading ‘Macross 2: Lovers Again is on my mind (but does this count as remembering love?)’

In this post: a whole lot of LOVE for Variable Fighters!

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:11 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post!

Bishounen in the Mecha Genre Did NOT Begin with Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Excerpt:

There are female viewers of mecha anime now, as evidenced by the success of shows like Code Geass and Mobile Suit Gundam 00. As far as I’m concerned this is a fantastic development. I imagine that the declining birth rate in Japan makes the people behind these works at least welcome the idea of new fans. Female fans would indeed be a growth area for the mecha anime market.

I was provoked by some interesting commentary by jpmeyer that basically says that one can identify what kind of Gundam fan by virtue of the show the fan likes the least. Here’s his rundown: [continue reading]

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:16 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post!

The Evolution Of The Mecha Character Aesthetic (Prototype Characters And The Tropes They Started)

Excerpt:

It got me thinking though, has anybody ever really sat down to try to look at the evolution of the two sexes in mecha anime, the change in their appearances and the degree to which they played a role (and what role they played) in the plot of the mecha sagas over the ages? If so I would still like to take a look at it anyway continue reading.

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

New Post!

Remembering Love as Homage in Anime: Eureka SeveN x Mobile Suit Gundam

Excerpt:

Paying homage in the context of a media work is the recreation of one work of fiction in the context of another, with the referencing done as an ‘inside joke’ or an ‘easter egg’ for those familiar with the referenced work. Often this is done with the intention of honoring or paying respect to the referenced work as being the direct inspiration for the referencing one. When done well — that is when the execution of the sequence becomes more than just a derivation and becomes a powerful scene on its own, without making familiarity with the referenced work contingent to the enjoyment of the scene. Familiarity with the original work though, can and does add significant value especially for a dedicated fan.

Recently I’ve had conversations and have read random articles noting the trend of referencing anime, and how the value of these works are not necessarily correct relative to their acclaim and/or popularity (e.g. Lucky Star, Kannagi). Against a universal measure or standard, I can sympathize with ‘correcting’ the assessment of the value of these shows, but on the whole I like them a lot, Lucky Star in particular precisely because of the light-hearted referencing of anime, manga, and other otaku cultural products. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is another highly acclaimed and very popular title that indulges heavily in referencing and homage. Very few (if any at all) complain about TTGL’s referential behavior, I do however believe that it is exceeded by far by another work. [continue reading]

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Board index » Fanworks » Advertisements