Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG » RPG Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:34 pm 
Traitor Villain

Psybuster wrote:
Now, here's the question: What exactly (and to what extent) does it mean to 'involve' mecha? Say, if you run a StarCraft RPG, it has enough mecha but it doesn't focus on the mecha themselves, at least not as-is. So would something like that even qualify?

Based on the few constraints Rand has given us over the years, I would say that any game run here would have to "involve" mecha to the extent that they would be considered a major part of the concept. Now, what that means is up to debate and we have been given a pretty wide berth when it comes to deciding what is acceptable - I'd like to see some interesting ideas that aren't just "people flying giant robots".

To give an example, I'd personally say that a story that has (a) mecha as a major plot point is enough depending on the details. I don't want to mislead everyone into thinking you can come up with anything and tack on a robot for one short but "major" section to satisfy the requirement, however.

We've had plenty of good ideas discussed in the past. TBZ's alternate WWII that substituted small mecha for most tanks and fighter planes, Attomoku's FMP submission last time, my "not-Aliens" idea with Heavy Gear-ish sized mechs and several others. All of those involve mecha to different degrees. In some, certain players may choose to never use a mecha and may only encounter them.

I'm not coming up with a bright-line rule here, so everyone can use their best judgment and be creative. If you come up with a cool idea, the Trinary or other members will likely be more than happy to help tweak it if necessary.

Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:46 pm 
Yoko's Bosom Buddy

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:
I'm not coming up with a bright-line rule here, so everyone can use their best judgment and be creative. If you come up with a cool idea, the Trinary or other members will likely be more than happy to help tweak it if necessary.

Also I plan to tweak that WWII RPG once more.. so you have been warned. :twisted:

Yes, it's mine. 8)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:44 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

See, I'm something that could utilize power armor, mecha, and conventional vehicles equally. Sadly, all I can think of is MD Geist, and I tink I would be the only person interested in an RPG like that.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:54 pm 
Yoko's Bosom Buddy

Inferno wrote:
See, I'm something that could utilize power armor, mecha, and conventional vehicles equally. Sadly, all I can think of is MD Geist, and I tink I would be the only person interested in an RPG like that.

I would. Maybe others. If you did an original universe thing it'd probably work better and leave you less confined to one thing and open to creating a universe that would appeal to a broader audience.

There's also Fallout, but that fell on it's face when I suggested it a few games back. I was planning a prewar thing, one that could potentially involve the armor more (Proto-Liberty Prime, Chinese Chimera tanks, T-51b armors galore) as well as the Chinese armored infantry.

But not many are familiar with the series or the oft forgotten Yangtze campaign that could fit into something like FMP if it took place in the 1960s.

Yes, it's mine. 8)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 am 
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

Inferno wrote:

you could try armored core, as that has conventional vehicles and infantry, but then again, i can already see the headaches that will result from that due to probably everyone wanting to be in an AC and building each and every AC making sure they're within the weight/generator limits and so forth

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 pm 
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

Star Trek. Only the Enterprise is one giant, transformable mecha!

Want to play an Avenger or Spider-man? Come to Marvel 972: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Marvel_Eart ... hp?act=idx

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm 
Yoko's Bosom Buddy

King Monkey wrote:

And the Klingons are using mecha..

Yes, it's mine. 8)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:39 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

I've got some loose ideas floating around to make my idea an original setting, but I really don't know how likely it is that someone of my stature could get the idea accepted. Should I abandon ship, or keep working?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm 
Yoko's Bosom Buddy

Inferno wrote:
I've got some loose ideas floating around to make my idea an original setting, but I really don't know how likely it is that someone of my stature could get the idea accepted. Should I abandon ship, or keep working?

KEEP WORKING!!!!

Yes, it's mine. 8)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:25 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

The Big Zabowski wrote:
Inferno wrote:

KEEP WORKING!!!!

CAN DO, SIR!

What I have ideas for is a world, with all the Factions, Mechs, Armor, and Vehicles. I don't exactly have an idea for a plot or characters, though.

Last edited by Inferno on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:44 pm 

Inferno wrote:
What I have ideas for is a world, with all the Factions, Mechs, Armor, and Vehicles. I don't exactly have an idea for a plot or characters, though.

As in... everything ever?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:57 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

Well, by the end of the weekend, I'll have designed the military for one faction entirely, along with most of the major technological advances and historical events. After I finish the second faction, I'll look into major leaders. As to what'll happen in the RPG, I don't know yet. I just figured I would send in my world to the Trinary and they would forge a story out of that.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 pm 
Traitor Villain

Inferno wrote:
I just figured I would send in my world to the Trinary and they would forge a story out of that.

:shock: No no no, that's not how it works at all. If you want to submit your idea when the time comes, that means you've created a story and are willing to be the Game Master for the RPG. The Trinary isn't going to create stories for you (Or anyone), and we have little interest in running anyones game, so everyone who creates an idea should be prepared to run it themselves (Or find someone who wants to, cause don't assume the Trinary will).

Keep in mind though, you've got plenty of time to work up some stuff, and it's not like you need the story to be fully developed and totally planned out by the time we vote on ideas. As long as you've got some story to get everyone interested enough to vote for it, and that can keep it moving once the RPG actually starts, you ought to be alright.

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:32 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

OK, I just thought that you guys would want control. I wasn't expecting the acceptance of my idea to put me in charge. Guess it's time to gear up and brace myself for my first real possible GMing opportunity.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:28 am 
OMG Doomsday Laser

King Monkey wrote:

I'd rather have Star Trek vs. Star Control. Worf vs. Orz Marines! 8)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:25 pm 
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

if you need a hand with anything inferno, be it fleshing out ideas and etc, pm me and i'l try to help out as best i can

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:15 pm 
Lackey GM Pilot

Well everybody, I think I'm going to get cooking on an idea as well. I was thinking either Code Geass or Macross. Maybe even something based on my original Mecha series idea "Starcrossed: A Tale of So Much Woe." Anyway, I as well offer help either concept proofing, or Plotting assistance to you Inferno, since I know working with an original concept is usually much harder to translate in to an RP then a previously existing world/storyline.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to get in on some RP for now should check out the link in my signature. There's a lot of good RP stories going at Coloholics, and the one in the Link is my SRW: OG RP that I operate, so, check it out if you feel so inclined.

See ya'll on the flip side.

Setsuna F. Seiei is the baddest AU Gundam pilot of all, because unlike Heero Yuy, he doesn't cry over puppies, and also, because he killed his mom and didn't cry, now that's scary.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:01 pm 

While I'm not sure if I'm in position to even be posting here (I've been witnessing some seniority complex going on around here), I've been cooking up an idea as well.

It's like a sort of Gundam MMO. Players make an avatar based off of a mobile suit, then they go into a world that is like any other WoW-ish MMO world and do their thing. The RPer would have to create their character, their character's avatar, and, of course, what faction they work for.

I'm yet to work out any sort of story (this is still in the conceptual stage), so I probably won't actually put it out for voting this round. Still, if anyone is interested, just tell me.

If anyone is not interested/if I can't get my act together, then I put my support behind Inferno's idea and help him if he needs/wants it.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 pm 
Newtype Emo Guy

I'm not interested in making one and most certainly not interested in running one. However, I got few things I want to address to people who want to write and run the game based on my preference. I hope no one is offended, I don't try to teach the Trinary on how to run the RPG. :oops:

First, the pace should not be too slow like TFTF that eventually new player will need to read his/her own bio to remember the character. But not too fast like G Gundam that could burn out people’s entire RP enthusiasm in two game. Keep the pace, one post in three days should be good enough. A week is too long and if delay happened it could lead into prolonged period of waiting.

Second, for any reason whatsoever please try to avoid massive long posting about your character past or any other introvert-y post, just avoid anything long that could lead to melodrama of your own character. Instead put emphasize on interaction with other non-npc player. I mean, "Hello we are here to play.” Rather than posting your heated battle of character crazyguy vs boringdude or the less infamous normal lad with broken past - why don't you do something to other active player?

Thrid, get the technical stuff out of the way. Robots may need to be fixed but there's no rule in forcing us to play the entire maintenance episode just because some minor development of the story are bound to happen. Same with marching to the battlefield episode, if there is no major or significance event just skip them because they are boring with nothing to do but waiting and more waiting. Just jump ahead to a time/place/event when participating people actually can do something other than reminiscing their own fate.

Fourth, it’s inevitable that people get busy over time and character gets abandoned. Rather than taking hard approach and make it into serious problem just let them fall into grunt level by one reason or another. Says who some great dude won’t be lost forever in the page of history because of one thing or another? Even if he is vital he could suddenly becomes too mediocre for other people to take notice of him.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:12 pm 
Traitor Villain

Quote:
It's like a sort of Gundam MMO. Players make an avatar based off of a mobile suit, then they go into a world that is like any other WoW-ish MMO world and do their thing. The RPer would have to create their character, their character's avatar, and, of course, what faction they work for.

I like this angle...

I brainstormed an idea of my own---An original setting: The world will be a universe where everyone had mecha like every cowboy in the 1800s had guns. Characters bunch of rag-tag mercenaries/outlaws free to work for anyone who can shell out the most cash, and a central aristocratic government that may either be funding some mercs or the target of other mercs. Mecha will be from any Gundam series with starting tech limits (i.e. up to Dom/GM for UC mecha, up to Aries for Wing mecha, Overflag for AD mecha so on). Why? because they're so much easier to visualize than a fan-made mecha, so it'll be more intuitive in that regard, but have versatility for people's creativity.

It will be like the G-Gundam RPGs that really encouraged mecha/character creativity but without forced matches that may bore other players. They might choose to fight each other for money, or fight the opressing government, or fight in a main plot that's also in the RPG. Players can play whatever they like without G-RPGs rigid schedule.

All the character's hard earned cash can be used for upgrades via a neutral black market (both mercs and govt officials can use them though the aristocratic govt will have their own tech shop), and maybe we can limit the upgrades to once every while to prevent people changing their stuff every sortie.

So yeah, that's my idea---a bit of pirate-y / mercenary-style mecha RPG that I hope has a lasting solution. PMe me if anyone wants to work with me on this rough brainstorm...

---

There are a couple of ideas in here that I really like (wont tell whose though xD)---and if they are officially submitted, wins the poll and I like it well enough i may even lend a hand in running it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » RPG » RPG Discussion