Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG » RPG Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:57 am 
Lackey GM Pilot

@SNT1: Your idea definitely sounds like it could be fertile ground for an RP, but I have a couple of questions.

You mentioned that the mecha would be distributed among people wild-west style, but will any of the imagery, setting, or plot be heavily based on that setting?

Are there any real world or prominent pop culture settings that are similar enough to what you describe that they could give people a better idea of what you're talking about?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:52 pm 
Traitor Villain

Adrikan wrote:
@SNT1: Your idea definitely sounds like it could be fertile ground for an RP, but I have a couple of questions.

You mentioned that the mecha would be distributed among people wild-west style, but will any of the imagery, setting, or plot be heavily based on that setting?

Are there any real world or prominent pop culture settings that are similar enough to what you describe that they could give people a better idea of what you're talking about?

For a while, yes, that's what I'm planning with the initial setting, it would start from maybe a small town/base in the southwest but the plot can take off from there and move towards bigger areas. I'm imagining the organized force will have headquarters somewhere in the middle east in a large, skyscraper-laden, almost Final-Fantasy-like metropolis. And the smaller band of rebels, being the opposite and a smaller faction, will go from being a small group of ragtags into a more organized force themselves like Katharon (00) or The Black Knights (Code Geass).

Plot, I'll keep it in a Gundam-style pseudo real robot style.

Hope that explains it a bit clearer; most of my ideas are still floating around in my head...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:14 am 
Lackey GM Pilot

SNT1 wrote:
Adrikan wrote:

For a while, yes, that's what I'm planning with the initial setting, it would start from maybe a small town/base in the southwest but the plot can take off from there and move towards bigger areas. I'm imagining the organized force will have headquarters somewhere in the middle east in a large, skyscraper-laden, almost Final-Fantasy-like metropolis. And the smaller band of rebels, being the opposite and a smaller faction, will go from being a small group of ragtags into a more organized force themselves like Katharon (00) or The Black Knights (Code Geass).

Plot, I'll keep it in a Gundam-style pseudo real robot style.

Hope that explains it a bit clearer; most of my ideas are still floating around in my head...

That definitely makes it much clearer. If you complete this setting, send me a PM and i'll gladly sign up.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:41 am 
Traitor Villain

My idea still needs quite a good bit of polishing.. I want to see if I can get it just right when the time comes to submit the RPG proposal (good thing there's quite a bit of time this time around)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:20 pm 
Mecha Flunky

Just throwing an idea out here - and maybe I'm not the one to be doing this, new member, low post count and all, but I figured it was worth asking. I know the focus of this forum is on mecha anime in general and Gundam in particular, and that carries through to the RPG section, however...

Would there be any interest in, or any place for, a fantasy RPG here, something in the Dungeons & Dragons vein set in a high fantasy or swords and sorcery milieu? I'd think there might be enough interest, given the potential for crossover between the demographics that watch and discuss mecha anime and those that play fantasy RPGs; I know back in my high school days, the (few) people I knew who watched Gundam were also the roleplayers. Of course, high school was a long time ago.

I wouldn't be looking to emulate D&D or any tabletop system exactly, but more to use it as a framework for an RPG within the rules of this forum - rather than using dice rolling bots and virtual tabletop programs, the rules here concerning calling attacks/hits provide another approach to quasi-turn-based combat that would likely capture the same feel. And just within D&D, there's scope for all sorts of fantasy games and power levels - from the flashy, high-powered fantasy of the most recent editions to the grittiness of one-hit-and-you're-dead AD&D and beyond.

Would there be any interest in anything like that?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 pm 
HiMAT Spammer

mcred23 wrote:
Who knows, it'll be whatever idea wins the next poll. The only real limit on ideas is that they somehow have to involve mecha. Most people have created, and voted for, Gundam ideas because that is what most of us are most familiar with, but that doesn't mean someone can't submit an idea from Macross, or any other mecha show, or even a totally original idea.

Also you just can't throw in an idea and expect someone else to run it. It's either you or find someone that will be the GM.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 pm 
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

@SNT1
Or turn the evil empire vs good rebellion around with good empire *snort* vs evil rebellion? Just tossing that out there.

And you mention that the start could be in the southwest and lead to the middle east. Do you mean it taking place in the USA southwest and leading to the region on the opposite side of the globe? Just not entirely clear on that.

@PrissAsagiri
Wow, you must be oooold :P *says that inspite of likely being the same age*

Not really a fan of the "traditional" euro-fantasy setting nor have I ever played any sort of D&D, but I am still rather interested nonetheless. So count in my support.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:45 pm 
Traitor Villain

Well, there is nothing wrong with trying to get a feel for the people here and see if someone is willing to run with that idea, or you if you'd like to do so. However, I'd like to reiterate the part wonton quoted that everything here has to somehow involve mecha, so even if you wanted it to mainly be a fantasy RPG, there'd have to also be some people running around in some kind of robot. 8)

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm 
Traitor Villain

Ziryab wrote:
Or turn the evil empire vs good rebellion around with good empire *snort* vs evil rebellion? Just tossing that out there.

More like shady empire vs shady rebellion from my last draft :o

Quote:
And you mention that the start could be in the southwest and lead to the middle east. Do you mean it taking place in the USA southwest and leading to the region on the opposite side of the globe? Just not entirely clear on that.

Yes, it will start locally in a USA/southwest setting and expand to a global campaign if the story progresses, including the mid-east of course.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:54 am 

I'm still hammering out details for my MMORPG idea. I might submit it, though I can't say that it's a definite possibility.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:51 pm 
Mecha Flunky

wonton bob wrote:
Also you just can't throw in an idea and expect someone else to run it. It's either you or find someone that will be the GM.

Oh, totally; I was just seeing what the interest level was, but I was doing so with an eye to running such a game myself if the interest was there, yes.

mcred23 wrote:
I'd like to reiterate the part wonton quoted that everything here has to somehow involve mecha, so even if you wanted it to mainly be a fantasy RPG, there'd have to also be some people running around in some kind of robot.

Hmm, between anime like Escaflowne and Maze, and games like Exalted and Urseia, there are certainly enough examples of fantasy settings that feature mecha that I could probably cobble such a game together.

Would it be worth updating the RPG Rules - specifically the 'selection of games' section - with the stipulation that all games have to involve mecha? It seems like a pretty significant point and it may be worth calling attention to it there rather than risking it being missed in the churn of a discussion thread.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:02 pm 
Traitor Villain

PrissAsagiri UK wrote:
Would it be worth updating the RPG Rules - specifically the 'selection of games' section - with the stipulation that all games have to involve mecha? It seems like a pretty significant point and it may be worth calling attention to it there rather than risking it being missed in the churn of a discussion thread.

Yeah, we'll probably edit that in at some point, although it's something that very rarely comes up and we would it mention early and often in these threads to make sure there was no missing it (Like we did here).

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:59 am 
Creepy Bishonen

The first thing I like to say is that I apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I've been on multiple Gundam RPG boards over the years. Not many of them last that long and its made me wonder what makes a good gundam rpg? I figured this was the best place to ask this question, since mecha talk has some long running Gundam RPGs. For easier reading the questions will be posted in a linear fashion.

What type of setting do people like?

Do they like original Gundam ideas via Turn A Gundam big bang theory, or do people prefer a single setting, happening during a single universe or time period a.k.a one year war, grips conflict, etc?

What makes a Gundam RPG last for years on end?

What type of story do people like? by story I mean in the respective centuries a.k.a UC and CE space vs earth colonies rebel story, Gundam X post apocalyptic, Gundam wing and Gundam 00 one group takes on the world. That sort of thing.

That's all the questions I can think of now. You can fell free to elaborate on any of the questions, or fell free to add your own in if you have any.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 pm 
Traitor Villain

Welcome to Mechatalk!

First of all, let me say that personally I think you're barking up the wrong tree when it comes to answering "What makes a good Gundam RPG?". The setting and story are vital, of course, but that isn't what keeps a game going - in the end those are just the personal preferences of the people participating, after all.

If I were to answer your question, I'd say that primarily it comes down to dedication and planning. First and foremost, if the people running it are willing to put forth the necessary effort, and if the members are willing to keep at it, then the game can continue for as long as it needs to. Second, if the people running it have some concrete idea of where the story is headed and can make it clear to the players that they have the security of being grounded in a "real" timeline of events rather than a series of things occuring for vague reasons, then it has a good chance of success.

My personal answers may not be totally satisfying responses, so I invite anyone else to chime in with their thoughts.

Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:13 pm 
Hot-blooded Gattai

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:
The setting and story are vital, of course, but that isn't what keeps a game going - in the end those are just the personal preferences of the people participating, after all.

If I were to answer your question, I'd say that primarily it comes down to dedication and planning. First and foremost, if the people running it are willing to put forth the necessary effort, and if the members are willing to keep at it, then the game can continue for as long as it needs to.

I have to second this with my own experience with the TARRRPG game that was hosted here for just over a couple years IIRC. It started out very haphazardly, but it was also something that people managed to easily get into and carve their own nitch into the basic storyline and be a strong part of. Eventually things became more organized and the game expanded even with even more players and more in-depth characters. Even though some players came and went, there was a core group of people that stayed around and kept things going and fresh. And it is thanks to those qualities that the game continues to this day on its own site and plans are even being made for a sequel set 20 years or so later.

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:55 am 
Creepy Bishonen

Thanks for your guys advice. I actually have a few more questions that have been bugging me.

1. Do you think people are more willing to rp in a multi universe rp, or one that takes place as an alternate story line to a series? For example a rpg that was formed on the big bang principle of Turn A, or something set during the events of Double Zeta.

2. How do you handle suit updates ? is it monthly or when the storyline dictates new units should be introduced ?

3. If you were to create a multiuniverse gundam rp would you include everything from the various series, or pick and choose what worked together?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:42 pm 
Traitor Villain

Evex wrote:
1. Do you think people are more willing to rp in a multi universe rp, or one that takes place as an alternate story line to a series? For example a rpg that was formed on the big bang principle of Turn A, or something set during the events of Double Zeta.

That's really a matter of opinion, and what people prefer. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages, and every setting has people who would love it and others who may hate it, so there really is no right or wrong, more or less answer. And don't forget the role of the story in all this. For example, if I don't like the story, I'll avoid an RPG even if it's in a setting a love, and on the other side, if it's a story I think looks interesting, I'd consider taking part in it even if I'm not overly fond of what universe it's set in...

Evex wrote:
2. How do you handle suit updates ? is it monthly or when the storyline dictates new units should be introduced ?

Storyline, without question. One of the flaws with trying to do it monthly or whenever is that the pace of an RPG rarely stays consistent, it'll speed up or slow down as it goes on, and that would cause problems if you are on some kind of update schedulem, even if you keep the pacing fairly consistent. IMO, it's better to work do updates when they make sense in the story, rather than trying to force them in for whatever reason.

Evex wrote:
3. If you were to create a multiuniverse gundam rp would you include everything from the various series, or pick and choose what worked together?

It's up to the GM of the RPG, but the latter option is probably the best. You have to have some limitation on what's available, unless you want someone breaking out hyper advanced, uber-powerful machines that could cause problems for fighting, nevermind possible story issues...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 am 
Traitor Villain

In the 2012 April Fool thread, we actually initiated a discussion worth continuing. Rather than using that thread, let's pursue it here, where it's more appropriate.

The relevent posts:

Cardi Doorl wrote:
Already explained my vote to Fritz and Red, but really, going the historical route would allow us to focus on our characters and whatever localized conflict we want to concentrate on. If we try for some kind of alternate history, then the altered global politics of it would intrude on our own story inevitably, and we'd lose focus.

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
I see what you're saying Cardi but if we're really going to do World War II meets Giant Robots then I figure we might as well mix it up. Why? Well, it seems to me that if we go the historical route, then what we do might be fun but we already know who's going to win. With an alternate history the players might have to actually struggle against an unknown future.

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:
historical: for more or less the same reasons cardi outlined, if we try to do an alternate history or something where we have to do a lot of world building (like with the last three rpg's that were attempted) then the pacing of the story will get bogged down people will inevitably lose interest and so on and so forth

i do disagree with what arbiter gundam says about the ending being predetermined, while yes that may be true that who wins and who loses is already known for us i think that actually works in its favour for the following reasons

* for the characters themselves it won't be known and thus the desperation and hope that will be over soon will still be there (case in point: tftf)
* the purpose behind this is not to 'win' per se, but to tell a story
* with the beginning and end already done for us it will allow everyone to concentrate on the middle
* while the ending is important and can make or break a story (just look at mass effect 3 on how not to do an ending) it's also important to remember that its not the destinaton that matters but the journey to get there as well, if i've quoted that saying correctly

my only gripe is having it in a world war II setting, personally i'd much rather something more in the cold war era, paced across multiple stages, each one being a set number of chapters dedicated to the individual conflicts that occured during that era

Sume Gai wrote:
In a more general sense how important it is to stick to Cannon in an RP within an established universe. Considering I want to see PCs filling in the world bit by bit I personally consider adhering to pre-established Cannon a relatively minor concern I think it's more important to have a bit more creative freedom especially when your community may not be fully familiar with the Cannon of your subject matter (for example, I'm not a history buff in the least and know I would mess up if we tried to stick to real life events).

I'm trying to hash out my (very, very late, sorry) TftF RPs, so I can't contrbute anything valuable right now other than to invite everyone to chime in here, though I find Sume Gai's interest in sticking things to cannons rather odd :P

Make sure to check out the RPG section - We're about to start a new VOTOMS RPG!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:00 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

I still think that instead of focusing on the grunts and the actual combat for once, why not try to do a LoGH-style RP where the players all help shape history with their tactics and politics? We could start by bouncing around a bunch of what-ifs, then turn the rough brainstorming session into an RPG. I have a few basic ideas, and I'd be willing to admin.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:48 pm 

Not sure which I should feel hurt by; that the poll is a lie or that I missed out on the event/being fooled...

Personally, I fall into the "alternate universe" pile.

@Inferno
So players would probably be in positions of command (e.g. military officer, politician, clergy, scientist, industrialist, etc.)? Interesting if it is that way yet I can't see much in terms of character-to-character interaction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » RPG » RPG Discussion