Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG » RPG Discussion

Post subject: General RPG Discussion
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:15 pm 
Traitor Villain

If you want to discuss online RPGs in general, do it in this thread. You can talk about game ideas and other whatsis that doesn't or does relate to Gundam, but don't come here to shill a game - that's what Advertisements is for. Also, please don't stray too far into stuff that would better go in another section of the board.

Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:55 am 
Creepy Bishonen

Been running ideas for a crossover mech rp in my head that isn't simply "hey let's do a srw rp that throws crap together". I'm actually welcoming possible suggestions for two more shows (even if I don't get it hosted, I might make a story out of it or something) if you can make a good case under the concept.

Essentially the main theme is "The Powers That Govern The World". This Universe is governed by 10 powers in varying capacities. Many planets have humans living on them, but none of them claim to be the first, but they most certainly may claim to be the best.

These powers are (with currently minor plot details following):

The Power of Gravity (Gravion Zwei) - Due to the presence of many more factions than the original show, Sandman has his fingers in many more pies. He has alliances with a few of the non-government agencies on Earth, including some old mech show staples.

The Power of Law (Xabungle) - In an isolated corner of the universe, there exists a planet where nobody knows its name. It has remained isolated for quite some time, however, that is about to change courtesy of some of Earth's efforts to colonize the universe.

The Power of Memories (Big O) - [I'm going to ignore the whole "virtual reality" bit for this] In a pocket of space not widely known to anyone, there exists a city. It is the city of Memories, Paradigm. The players are in the places, however the stage is about to be crashed.

The Power of Song (Macross 7) - To preserve the human race, Earthlings looked to the stars for guidance. Many ships were sent to explore the far reaches of the universe. One of these ships is host to a certain group of people, one of which demands you listen to his song.

The Power of Martial Arts (G Gundam) [gundam fight downgraded to small tournament for setting's sake] - For some time, there has been an annual tournament in which people fight for their country's honor or other factors. This year's tournament, however, will be quite a bit different than expected.

The Power of Energy (New Getter Robo) - In a mountain in Japan, there is energy. This energy will either save the universe or damn it. Three men are called together to use this energy that has been given human form.

The Power of Photon (Shin Mazinger) - In another part of Japan, there is a city called Atami. It is host to a wondrous power, that of Photon Energy. There are secrets in this city, such as something that can become a god or a devil.

The Power of Journey (Gun X Sword) - In another corner of the universe, there is a planet called the Endless Illusion. One man with a love of condiments must journey forth to avenge a woman that he loved.

The Power of Time (Kotetsushin Jeeg) - Decades ago, there was a battle fought by a cyborg. This battle shall continue in modern times, but the torch of the hero will be passed to another being.

The Unknown Power (Originals) - There is a power that has never been seen until extremely recently. It possesses the ability to connect the powers in fashions that only it can dream of.

The tenth power is going to be the interesting part, as well as the fact I don't want this to be a simple crossover. Inter-series mingling and actions are welcome and even encouraged as long as they don't adversely affect plot or others' enjoyment. Musashi doesn't need to go trying to kill Fatman Big or something.

More on the tenth power: This is where the originals are going to be. All original characters will belong to the organization that exhibits this power. I'm still planning the extent and initial aims and structure of the organization itself. However, if this does become an actual RP, I'm going to allow those who wish to have original characters in this organization arrive at some sort of reasonable consensus for mech design and weaponry and whatnot. This is rather risky, but I think if it worked it would be rather interesting.

Polite constructive criticism is welcome, but I would prefer at this point that it not come off as harsh.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:42 am 
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

With that many factions it seems like the majority of interaction would be player-to-NPC instead of player-to-player. That's what it's looking like to me at first. Unless you intend for players to start as originals and let us expand to canons over time or something?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:20 pm 
Mecha Flunky

I'd probably recommend that the powers be consolidated some. Take a few of the inter-related concepts, stick them under a unified banner, and then have players take their power-sets and character basis..es...ess...things. I might also request that we use more mainstream works as basis for the concepts, or abandon the idea of linking work to concept; I will unashamedly say I am familiar with only 6 of those factions, out of which only...2 of those I have any actual experience(both as anime).

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 pm 
Oblivious Harem Loser

you will have a hell of a time balancing things out like that.

Xabungle for instance will be woefully under powered while Getters will be super tall, death machines to pretty much everything

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:48 pm 
Creepy Bishonen

/me shrugs

i mostly really wanted to try to avoid slapping stuff in because I wanted it in, otherwise you'd probably get an unholy clusterfark

i might think about the idea a bit more now that I've got a little bit of time to think about it

probably go for a bit more of a SRW-feel (crossover with great liberties taken regarding inter-series balancing) but eliminate originals outside of potential context within a show (like for instance, if Geass was going to be featured at some point, you could do an ace pilot with a customized Sutherland or Gloucester)

however the fundamental issue is i really don't want to limit the scope to shows with established faux-technology and whatnot, so what I'm thinking is delegating large-scale battles to series with established technology, and larger robots are used for fighting other large robots

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:15 pm 

Patlabor.

Thought about it on and off and on and off and on. Yet, don't know what to do about or with it. =/

Sure it can be easy enough to come up with single, self-contained 'episode' threads but my trouble is scribbling down ideas that are or can become part of an on-going plot-seed that'll eventually be resolved.

I've also thought about setting up some sort of table so players can track and play off where their characters stand with another character and their feelings towards them. And maybe to play along with that, each player makes up some destressor in their life (e.g. bar-hopping) and a stressor (e.g. sleeping at the HQ instead of at home) and maybe at the assigning of a new mission players makes up a goal for their character that can conflict with others (e.g. protect the hostages vs hostages? mecha smash!).

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 pm 
Traitor Villain

Ziryab, you should look into an easy RPG system called PDQ. The free 13 page manual can be found here. I've talked to Red, Wedge and my brother King Monkey about it (since he's much more experienced with actual game systems) and I think it could work easily for a message board, text-driven game like we run here. PDQ stands for "Prose Descriptive Qualities" in this case, and using descriptive language is beneficial.

The system can be very easy on the GM too, since there aren't tables of stats to worry about and people can link to embedded dice-rollers to avoid cheating on the few dice related interactions there are.

PDQ's main idea is characters having a set number of 'Qualities' that determine how well they can attempt to do things instead of the old standard of number statistics. There's no HP or anything like that to keep track of, and I think you might be able to adapt your idea of goals to the ruleset. In particular, if you'd like personal goals to foster competition between players at times, you can set up situations where characters' required weakness Quality comes into play.

Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:20 am 

:lol:

Was intending to avoid an actual system or sleight-of-hand it in there as some text freeformers tend to cringe or do the roach skitter if you sidle a mechanic from a dice game up to them. :lol:

I actually have on my 'top a file of PDQsharp (the swashbuckling version) for around a year now. Sadly I've yet to really get a chance to use it (rp with bored nieces & nephews I babysit if they're restless). Instead it was often the system used for the Inspectres RPG, Primetime Adventures or some boardgame with them.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:11 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

I was thinking: Since the General RPG forum isn't being used, maybe we could use it for some quick one-thread freeform battles?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 pm 
Traitor Villain

No, we're not interested in doing that now, or ever, really. We don't like the idea of just having random, one-shot battles for a ton of reasons, and having a number of them going on at one time (Because we know there would be more than one going on at the same time) would in effect be a third RPG, and we only allow two RPGs to run here at the same time.

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:33 pm 
Lackey GM Pilot

I wouldn't mind using my SRW as a Base for a SRW Role play. That is, if Anyone wants it?

And I already have season one planed out :)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:00 pm 
Yoko's Bosom Buddy

I'd like to comment on the closing of the latest '#2' RPG.

From what I recall way back when this forum was established, it was common practice to only run one RPG at a time to prevent stagnation. It seems that with the closure of the 4th Gundam Fight RPG, this may still be an issue.

While it may not be my place to say something about it, I wonder if the Trinary.. er Duo now, as well as all players on this board consider something.

Would you prefer to only concentrate on one game, and cause said game to be more active, in depth, and fast paced as opposed to two arguably dragging storylines?

TLDR: I think we should axe the idea of having two concurrent RPGs running on the board, and rather concentrate on a single RPG until it's completion. It'd create a more enjoyable experience IMO.

Yes, it's mine. 8)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:10 pm 
Traitor Villain

Actually, it's clear to the Trinary that we can support a second RPG.

The main reason we once limited ourselves to only a single RPG was simply numbers. There were fewer people who regularly participated back then, and many of those spread themselves thin across multiple RPGs. However, in the years since then, we've shown at various times, including the 4th Gundam Fight RPG, that the number of people involved is no longer the biggest factor in whether or not an RPG works. Even today when we closed the G RPG, it still had a fairly large number of players, but because the way that RPG was set up, and the fact that it started with a fairly large number of players, it just wasn't going to make it.

For a game to work out and last, it needs a GM who will stick around and give a damn, a clearly planned story (Even if the members don't know what is coming), roughly 10 members, and a concept that lends itself to the format. Had Wedge, the GM, been able to remain, the G RPG would be flowing right along. We believe that the members can fill those things and make any RPG work.

Besides, in addition to feeling that we can support a second RPG, we like to offer one to allow members, old and new, the chance to do something else. TftF is still going on and once it ends we're moving into it's sequel, so a second RPG offers people the option of something that isn't set in the mid-UC 0080's.

So yeah, unless we don't feel we have the member base to support it, we'll run a second RPG...

...However, don't expect it for a while. The last few times, I've felt we rushed into selecting the next RPG faster than we ought to have done. Combine that with the fact that we got very little input when selected the last RPG, which had us very worried and something we want to go differently next time, and that the Trinary has to work out a number of things related to replacing Wedge, we aren't going to jump in to starting a new RPG very soon.

So, I'll use this as a chance to let everyone know that we aren't even going to begin that process of selecting the next RPG for probably about a month (Meaning late February). By then, the Trinary should have all our stuff taken care of, and we hope all of you have some ideas for a game you'll be interested in sharing with the rest of us.

TLDR: Read it anyway. :twisted:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

So it'll still be Gundam, then?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:08 pm 
Traitor Villain

Who knows, it'll be whatever idea wins the next poll. The only real limit on ideas is that they somehow have to involve mecha. Most people have created, and voted for, Gundam ideas because that is what most of us are most familiar with, but that doesn't mean someone can't submit an idea from Macross, or any other mecha show, or even a totally original idea.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:16 pm 
OMG Doomsday Laser

mcred23 wrote:
Who knows, it'll be whatever idea wins the next poll. The only real limit on ideas is that they somehow have to involve mecha. Most people have created, and voted for, Gundam ideas because that is what most of us are most familiar with, but that doesn't mean someone can't submit an idea from Macross, or any other mecha show, or even a totally original idea.

Now, here's the question: What exactly (and to what extent) does it mean to 'involve' mecha? Say, if you run a StarCraft RPG, it has enough mecha (in the form of the Goliath, Viking, Thor and Odin, as well as the Protoss Dragoon, Stalker, Immortal and Colossus), but it doesn't focus on the mecha themselves, at least not as-is. So would something like that even qualify?

Red Menace wrote:
The only real limit on ideas is that they somehow have to involve mecha.

I wish someone told me that years ago when I tried to pitch a Time Crisis RPG here, though. <_<

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

So when can the suggestions start?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:45 pm 
Yoko's Bosom Buddy

Inferno wrote:

Red wrote:
So, I'll use this as a chance to let everyone know that we aren't even going to begin that process of selecting the next RPG for probably about a month (Meaning late February). By then, the Trinary should have all our stuff taken care of, and we hope all of you have some ideas for a game you'll be interested in sharing with the rest of us.

Yes, it's mine. 8)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

The Big Zabowski wrote:
Inferno wrote:

Red wrote:

Once again, my powers of obliviousness amaze even myself.

Board index » RPG » RPG Discussion