New World Gundam: Worlds Apart

Your own tale of two mecha.
Dave

New World Gundam: Worlds Apart

This is a fanfic I've had in my head for about a year now. The premise of this is basically to try making the most realistic Gundam Series (Fanfic) ever. What I have done in order to achieve this is take away newtype,beam weapons, and space colonies. Also most of the mech are smaller than UC mecha.

Back Story In universal year 2009, the country of Ottomaria (a thinley disguesed Turkey) has attacked the Hellenic Republic (A thinley disguesed Greece). Worried that there nation may be attacked also, the federation of Romgaria(Bulgaria & Romania) has enlisted the help of both United states of Dominea (America) and th Kingdom Anglaterria (The UK).

Our story will be about a Domenian Pilot named David Darnell. Darnell is trying live up to the expectations of his father,one of if not the greatist mech pilot in the forces. Darnell is actually doing good but his Ottomanian wife has just went missing and no body has been turned up. But the pressure of living up to his father, makes him feel as he should go on.

SO whta's your opinions(EDIT: aside from the butchering of the spelling. :lol:)Chapter 1 should be up after two or three comments or tomarrow which ever comes first.
あなたの父親と母親elderberriesハムスターのにおいがした.
ShadowCell

Opinions?

A) Where's the story?

B) I don't see how you can call this "the most realistic Gundam story ever" when it still features giant robots, especially in what amounts to a current day setting. Giant robots aren't exactly in the "realistic" column to begin with, and you're implying that by 2009 we'll have had mobile suits in the field as common weapons for at least a generation. And since you're clearly trying to set your story up in the context of the current world, I don't think you're going to hit the "realistic" part here. We barely have working robots period, let alone giant ones. Removing the space element also removes one of the major excuses for why people even bother to develop giant robots as weapons of war, since they aren't very practical or realistic on Earth.

I think I detect a fundamental misunderstanding of "realism." The point of being realistic isn't to have mecha with the most writing on them, or to have giant robots that look more at home in the steampunk genre. It's to create worlds that we can believe could be our own without having to stretch our imaginations too far. A telling example, I think, lies in certain parts of Gundam 00. It's hard to make a judgment of that show overall since it's, like, not done yet, but it has featured several plot points--whether minor or major--that are believable. It's taken some turns in its plot that one would reasonably expect an organization or person in that position to take--for example, Sergei's men inspecting the Kyrios' ejected missile pod in episode 3, the HRL branding Celestial Being a terrorist organization after their attacks, elements of the superpowers finding and attacking Celestial Being's mothership, world opinion turning against Celestial Being after they intervened in Taribia, somebody on his own figuring out the Gundams' secrets, etc. If you want another example, look at kishiria's fanfiction. Yes, it's Gundam and everybody is fighting with giant robots and stuff, and there are Newtypes and space colonies and beam weapons and Minovsky Magic, but she manages to make that world and those characters believable through details. It adds depth to the universe to delineate a religious leader for the Zeon colonies, or to write about specific cultures and groups of people within the context of the Universal Century, or to add the details of tattoos, religious beliefs, illness, education, etc, etc, etc, to the cast. That's what realism is about. Trying to make your mecha big and clunky misses the point, especially in this case, where the inclusion of mecha just plain isn't believable anyway.

C) If you want to write a story about Turkey attacking Greece and Romania/Bulgaria freaking out and appealing to the United States and the UK for help, then write one. But if even you are admitting that the names for your factions are only thin disguises for their real world counterparts, then there is no point in putting up that facade, and I think a number of your readers will see through it as well. The most important point here is to tell a good story and weave for us interesting plots and characters that keep us coming back, and if you're bogging it down with political commentary--which is spewing forth from the great distended anus of the Internet like projectile diarrhea already--then you're just going to wind up with a mess on your hands. Which brings me to...

D) I don't think setting this story in 2009 is a good idea. Aside from the existence of mecha in 2009 stretching suspension of disbelief like Murrue Ramius's shirts, you would invariably start hitting on hot-button issues that are sure to alienate people. "War" is a timeless and broad concept addressed by every Gundam show. "War between Turkey and Greece" is not so timeless and thus not so easy to address, and it can quickly gain the appearance that you are simply pontificating about the tensions between Turkey and Greece through the veil of a Gundam fanfic. And that's probably going to turn people off. Again, you can't go anywhere on the Internet without stepping in political commentary, so trying to hide it behind a Gundam fanfic is probably not going to work.

I can't really comment on anything else in the absence of any of the story, but I think you would do well to rethink the setting.
Dave

A) Where's the story?
It's coming later today (I hope :oops: )That was just a back story. It's way to late for me to be typing on the computer and still make sense. But don't worry it's coming
and you're implying that by 2009 we'll have had mobile suits in the field as common weapons for at least a generation.
It's an alternate/paralell universe. In this universe Mecha have been around for 60 years. (I did say this was in a timeline called Universal Year,not Anno Domini)
It's to create worlds that we can believe could be our own without having to stretch our imaginations too far.
what I'm trying to do is write what I think Mecha's like Gundam would be, if we used/had the technology to use them in Modern times.

and if you're bogging it down with political commentary-
Actually that was the reason,I changed the nation names around because if I had Turkey attack Greece (like I was going to originally) I was gonna have to deal with a Muslim nation as the bad guy and all the nasty politcal commentary that comes with the territory

I don't think setting this story in 2009 is a good idea. Aside from the existence of mecha in 2009 stretching suspension of disbelief like Murrue Ramius's shirts, you would invariably start hitting on hot-button issues that are sure to alienate people.

1. As I said earlier this is an alt universe the technology is slightly different (Yet more believeble)

2. The only reason I even picked th elocation is cause I thought that area had some intereting ares that would make good battlefields :?.

I promise I am trying to do all I can to avoid political commentary.

and I hope to get the stroy to u soon :)
ShadowCell

Dave wrote:It's an alternate/paralell universe. In this universe Mecha have been around for 60 years. (I did say this was in a timeline called Universal Year,not Anno Domini)
But that's not addressing the original point that mecha aren't realistic to begin with, and certainly aren't realistic in a world that's supposed to be a representation of the modern world. And I don't understand why you took the time to set it in 2009, y'know, next year, if you want to spin an entirely different tack. If you're changing so much of what is the current day, then there's no reason to set it in the current day--you might as well come up with an original setting at that point, and you'd more easily avoid the appearance of trying to preach politics through a fanfic.
what I'm trying to do is write what I think Mecha's like Gundam would be, if we used/had the technology to use them in Modern times.
Putting aside the whole "the mecha aren't supposed to be the focus" thing, that goes entirely against your "most realistic Gundam story ever" premise. Mecha aren't realistic. That's why every Gundam show to date takes place at least a century into the future, to allow for plenty of leeway in technological development and suspension of disbelief.

And of course, there's the reality that if we used mecha like in Gundam today, all they would really do is provide big targets for missiles. There have been numerous threads on Mecha Talk about "mecha in the real world," and invariably they have come to the conclusion that mecha in the real world would be easy pickings for cruise missiles, would be easy targets for ground troops, are utterly unsuited to fighting guerrilla combatants (as many conflicts today tend to be fought), are slow and unwieldy under gravity, and would require so many resources to build and so much work to maintain that they aren't worth it. Gundam has traditionally gotten around this by a) creating some magic technological excuse for us all to use giant robots to fight, e.g. Minovsky particles; b) leaving open the arena of outer space, which makes the concept of a giant robot as a weapon a bit more feasible; and c) setting it far enough into the future for us to assume that technology has filled in the gaps. So far as I can tell, you haven't done any of those things.
Actually that was the reason,I changed the nation names around because if I had Turkey attack Greece (like I was going to originally) I was gonna have to deal with a Muslim nation as the bad guy and all the nasty politcal commentary that comes with the territory
But...it's still Turkey and it's still Greece. You just changed the names. People are going to see through that. Even you have admitted that "Ottomaria" and "the Hellenic Republic" are just thinly veiled versions of Turkey and Greece. If your facade is so flimsy that even you will parenthetically cast it aside, then it's not going to take a lot of your readers long to figure out what you're really getting at, and you'll be back to "you're making Muslims the bad guys!" and all the rest. Renaming it doesn't change it, because although there are some readers stupid enough to fall for it, you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
1. As I said earlier this is an alt universe the technology is slightly different (Yet more believeble)
I don't understand how you can say that this is an alternate universe in which exists the technology that makes giant robots possible as weapons of war, despite all the factors going against them (like, say, cruise missiles), and then say that this is believable and realistic. But I already went over that.
2. The only reason I even picked th elocation is cause I thought that area had some intereting ares that would make good battlefields :?.
...that's it?

If your criteria for major parts of your story is that it would make good battlefields--in effect, that it would play to the mecha--then I think you need to sit down and rethink this story. Again, the most important point here is to write an engaging and entertaining story, with characters that the audience can care about. Without that, you don't have anything to work with, and you won't hold much interest. If you can't or don't make me care about the characters, why would I come to see them do battle in giant robots? If you can't or don't make me care about the plot, why would I come to see the various battles it stops in along the way? The revolutionary thing about Gundam was that it didn't focus on the mecha (even if the law of cosmic irony went and screwed that up), but even more than that, the characters and plot are far more important than the mecha and their associated battles. In a good story, the mecha should only be icing on the cake. Certainly, writing engaging action sequences is important in creating a quality product, but it looks to me like this story idea has more fundamental problems than lousy action sequences. Anyone can make giant robots fight in any locale in the world. You have to have a good story and good characters to make us care about it.
Dave

Well hopefuly the first chapter will make you change your mind.

Also when i said realistic,it was a poor choice of words,I think beliveible would have been a better word.

Prequal: The Great Dream

"I've got three Olives pinning me down, I need support!" yelled Darnell into his intercom. (For those wonderring Olives are essentially Ball's with Legs they are on of the oldest mech still in existence) "Air support! Air support! I need air support! the three olives are really holding me back!" Darnell yelled all but cursing at the intercom. Finally, in what seemed like an eternity, air support came and bombed the Olives to high heaven (even though it was only 5 seconds).

But then, a loud boom came from the heavens. It was the support planes they were shot down. Darnell looked over the horizon and immeadeatley picked up the shooter. "It's......It's.....that 'Red Hornet' suit! Damn must be a prototype. I could have sworn InTell said that was still in testing. Sh*t." But Darnell had a trick up his sleave. He himself was pilot of a prototype. That prototype was the "Exter" gundam.

Darnell looked at the craft. he wondered who could be piloting that thing. "Meh,it probably some hackjob rookie cannon fodder, knowing those bloody Otto's" suddenly the enemy craft shot 3 missles at the six-stroy building Darnell was hiding behind. The impending explosion knocked Darnell's mech of balance. "Damnit!" he yelled. but none the less the Lieutenant,as was his rank, decided to fight. Despite the cosmetic damage to his right arm Darnell shot three missles at the Red Hornet,and much to his dismay and astonishment all three missles were shot down. "Bloody...........!" Darnell thought of only one way the enemy could be stoped. He charged the craft. It was a very stupid move,but for Darnell he was lucky. The Red Hornets gun jammed and so he was able to charge it; but then the red hornet made a move towars it left. it only left one option for Darnell. he suddenly twisted his craft around and in a what looked like a scene out of "Resivior Dogs" Darnell,now on his back shot point blank at the enemy's mobile suit. he did it. he shot the entire upper half of the suit. Darnell got out. His craft was badly destroyed itself missing most of it's outer shielding. But when he got out and surveyed the damage of the enemy suit, he saw something he never wanted,or thought he would see; Ismera. Ismera was Darnell's missing Otto wife." Is.................Is.........M....M....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! " he yelled. He Yelled this so loud he woke himself up. all that battling all that cursing at the intercom,all that tradgedy was nothing but a dream.

End Prequal

AUTHOR NOTES:

1. I want to appologise for my horrible punctuation. where I live, it is abit late for me, and I'm a bit tired. So my spelling/ Grammer isn't exactly as good as it should be. :wink:

2. Also because it's getting late, I decided to cut a small uninportant section of the original chapter one I had written out. Since it was at the end I will add it to the biginning of Chapter one. I am aware how short this is. Please ignore that fact. I'm just not the kind of person who has the stamina to write or type long pieces of work for enjoyment. Though chapter one will be longer ;)

Hope you enjoy it
Dave
ShadowCell

Dave wrote:Well hopefuly the first chapter will make you change your mind.
Sorry, but it didn't.

First of all, "it's late and I'm tired" isn't an excuse for low quality work. If you're too tired to work on your story, then go to sleep and work on it tomorrow. There's no rush and no deadline, and it's better that you take your time to create a good product than to rush it and create a not-so-good one. Effort is the key, and "going to sleep so that you can work on the story when you're more awake" counts in the "effort" column. Nobody is expecting you to get this written in a certain timeframe.
(For those wonderring Olives are essentially Ball's with Legs they are on of the oldest mech still in existence)
You should not need to rely on parenthetical statements to convey information to your reader. Weave that into the text so that it is part of your narration and description. A parenthetical addition implies that you're saying "Oh yeah, I forgot to add that..." It breaks the flow of the narrative, and "flow" isn't exactly going strong here anyway.
Finally, in what seemed like an eternity, air support came and bombed the Olives to high heaven (even though it was only 5 seconds).
Style is not a strong point here. Again, your narrative can't have breaks like these, because it's very distracting. Also, it might just be personal preference, but I've found that using colloquialisms in writing, like "bombed the Olives to high heaven," only works if you know what you're doing and the image and tone of said colloquialisms fits in with the image and tone you're trying to convey. That's not the case here. There's issues with details and description, which I'll get to later, and it's also difficult to read when the story consists of large blocks of text. Breaking things into more than one paragraph is often a useful stylistic tool to change points and move the narrative along, if you do it in the right places.

As mentioned, there's also issues with your descriptions. Your narrative style has almost none of it. Without any details to go off of, all the reader is left with is some guy in a Gundam fighting a bunch of mecha in a field or something somewhere and all of the sudden he's screaming "noooo!" Description and detail is how you make this story, this world, and these characters come alive--it's where you can make the reader start to care about any of this.
he suddenly twisted his craft around and in a what looked like a scene out of "Resivior Dogs" Darnell,now on his back shot point blank at the enemy's mobile suit.
If "it looked like a scene from Reservoir Dogs" is the best you can do when describing something, then I mourn for the death of the poetic mind. Description is essential to making us care, and as the writer, it's your job to paint those pictures for us in your prose. Read some novels by professionally written and edited authors, and you will be hard-pressed to find people describing things as "like a scene from Reservoir Dogs." It especially breaks down when the reader doesn't know what you're talking about. For example, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about because I haven't seen Reservoir Dogs. That's why you should only use images and metaphors that everyone will be familiar with. Comparing Darnell's machine's movements in midair to a gymnast or a trapeze artist is a lot more familiar to people than comparing his movements to that one backflip that Neo did in the lobby shootout in The Matrix.

Too numerous to quote are the various punctuation and grammatical errors. I'm not going to ignore them because a) there's so many and b) I think you're greatly underestimating the importance of both in making your story readable, let alone good. If English is not your first language, then I understand the difficulty, but if you're taking the time to write a story in English, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that you try to follow proper punctuation and grammar. If I tried to write a story in French or Spanish or Japanese or anything else, and I ignored the language's grammar and conventions, I'd get raked over the coals, because the French/Spanish/Japanese/whatever speakers I was writing that story for would not be able to understand it. Hence, getting the mechanics of the English language down is crucial to making your story understood. The same goes if English is your first language--proper grammar and punctuation go a long, long way in making your story understandable and enjoyable.

This was not a good way to start a story that takes place in a new universe. You need to establish the setting, and you need to do it artfully and vividly--so that we aren't reading a textbook on Dave's Gundam Story, and so that we know what the hell is going on. As the writer, it's your job to paint for us the world that this is taking place in. There was no painting going on here--in fact, echoing my previous point about how you seem to have thought about the mecha before anything else, the only thing going on in your first chapter is a bunch of anonymous mecha and a guy called Darnell fighting. This is what I was talking about when I said that the mecha should not be the focus--otherwise you end up with what you got here. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't begin your story in the middle of a fight, but doing so means you need to make it tense and interesting enough to grab the reader's attention. That's what's called the hook, and it's your one big chance to make your reader want to keep reading past the first few lines.

And either way, I can't ignore that this chapter is so short. You're trying to build a new world with a new cast and lay the groundwork for a new story, and this chapter leaves that all as blank and ambiguous from the reader's point of view as it was when you first started this thread.

Also, I think the word you're looking for here is "prologue." "Prequel" implies that this is an entirely different story that takes place before another, original story--for example, the Star Wars prequels taking place before the original trilogy.
Is.................Is.........M....M....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! "
It may well be just a pet peeve of mine, but why is this so drawn out? You don't need a bunch of Os or a bunch of periods to make your point--it's just filling up space unnecessarily.

Also, it just occurred to me to ask, but is the title a Bruce Springsteen reference?

It's not impossible to become a good writer if you aren't one already. It just takes work, and I think you could stand to do some before you have the skills and knowledge to write a solid story. It helps to read a lot already, both fiction and nonfiction, to get an idea of how writers have to paint the pictures for their readers, how they use the language they're writing in, how they manipulate punctuation and grammar and paragraphs and so on, how they evoke images and use metaphors, etc. Reading this abortive first chapter, I get the feeling that you know in your mind what it is you're trying to put on the screen, and you're assuming that I know what you've got in mind too, and that when I read this, I'll see the same vivid image of what's going on that you see. But I don't. As the writer, you have to take everything you have in mind for what you're trying to put on the screen, and put it on the screen. It's not always easy, but nobody said writing would be. If you can do that, then you're on the right track.