General Fanfiction Discussion 2: Electric Boogaloo

Your own tale of two mecha.
Gone Astray

Re: General Fanfiction Discussion 2: Electric Boogaloo

Rob DS Zeta wrote:I have
Gone Astray wrote:I'd agree with tehprognoob. The Strike E featured the "Shorty" rifles in C.E. 73, and considering how fast they developed tech in SEED, I wouldn't see it as a problem.
The low energy output is a given, but I haven't seen Stargazer. How powerful were the "Shorty"s?
It's been a while since I watched it, but they seemed like they were backup weapons. They're apparently less powerful than the Duel's rifle, since I can't otherwise imagine why Sven would use two of those in addition to equipping the beam pistols; but if I recall correctly, the Stargazer traps the beams from the pistols and shreds some things with them.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Blightstrider

I personally believe there wouldn't be pistols as the start of SEED considering how the series presented it, MSs did not simply look to be in that stage where they would bother/need/could mass produce things like that. They seem to be a weapon that you would only have an actual use for them in a MS on MS battle, so ZAFT would not have even thought of the idea. But if you want to write them in, sure, but I would wager on the EA would of done it.

Anyway, on the topic of CE, does anyone know who controls what and where all the military bases would be post SEED to the start of DESTINY?
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'
rebel_cheese

Well, the ZAFT mostly got booted off of Earth following the war. However, the Atlantic Federation lost a ton of influence and the Eurasian Federation split from its larger allies a bit and became more neutral, i.e. more sympathetic to ZAFT. East Asia became the dominant player in the Earth Alliance as they took the fewest casualties and lost the least amount of political influence over the Jachin Doe debacle.

Orb, for their part, left me the impression that they became a significantly bigger nation post-war by absorbing pieces of the EA. Orb, other than the loss of one island, got off easy compared to everyone else. But this is largely guesswork on my part, Destiny didn't go into heavy detail about Orb's territorial boundaries.
MURRUE: Infallible accuracy?? I thought you just usually shot all your weapons at random and they just happened to hit stuff.

KIRA: What do you think this is; a cartoon?
Vent Noir

I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the moment concerning the story I mentioned back in the old thread. I know where I'm starting and where I'm going, but working out how to get there is a pain.

The basic story premise, as I mentioned in the old thread, is the artificial newtype/supersoldier concept, and, as Joss Whedon described the concept for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Making someone a hero where she had always been a victim".

The eventual goal is for her to save her "siblings" in the project, but to do that she'll have to develop to the point where she can assert her own will... problem is, I'm not really sure how to get her there, and it will probably make for a longer story than I'm cormfortable with.

(That's another problem I have - I never seem to get good ideas for short stories. Any story idea I have turns into this huge, epic saga that's too intimidating for me to even get properly started on, let alone finish)

Can anyone offer any help/advice?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Rob DS Zeta

Thanks Gone Astray and Brightstrider. I'll go forward with your words.
*insert witty eyecatch here*
tehprognoob

Vent Noir wrote:I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the moment concerning the story I mentioned back in the old thread. I know where I'm starting and where I'm going, but working out how to get there is a pain.

The basic story premise, as I mentioned in the old thread, is the artificial newtype/supersoldier concept, and, as Joss Whedon described the concept for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Making someone a hero where she had always been a victim".

The eventual goal is for her to save her "siblings" in the project, but to do that she'll have to develop to the point where she can assert her own will... problem is, I'm not really sure how to get her there, and it will probably make for a longer story than I'm cormfortable with.

(That's another problem I have - I never seem to get good ideas for short stories. Any story idea I have turns into this huge, epic saga that's too intimidating for me to even get properly started on, let alone finish)

Don't go at it haphazard. Actually take a bit of time to plan it. I started my Eva fic with no prep, now I have to suddenly finish most of the fanfic's angst in 2 chapters.

Plan out each chapter before you begin writing, and don't randomly deviate at a whim!

EDIT: Check this out!!!
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Holy crap, I just accidentally singed off a bunch of my arm hair by reaching over a candle. Don't do it like seraph does, boys and girls. -,-;
Vent Noir wrote:The eventual goal is for her to save her "siblings" in the project, but to do that she'll have to develop to the point where she can assert her own will... problem is, I'm not really sure how to get her there, and it will probably make for a longer story than I'm cormfortable with.

Noir, to develop her assertiveness, it helps to know where she is starting off. Are we talking mindless doormat levels? You could save yourself some trouble if she could start off with some of the characteristics that helps her rebel in the way that you need her to. It doesn't have to be extreme or unreasonable. Just enough of a hint to notice is good.

Time skips are your friend. You don't have to follow your character day by day, minute by minute. People change slowly over time from an accumulation of experience. They also change through major events in their lives. You can showcase her progress through such major events.

In such major events, you can help make the development believable by showing the consequences of her behavior. What happens when she's subservient, and what happens as she becomes more self-assertive.

It may help to mix these events in with other stuff that is going on so it doesn't look like the author is hitting the readers over the head screaming, "She's changing! She's changing!!"

As for long projects, I don't know if I have any good advice. All of my projects are long, and I've never finished one. However, I feel that you shouldn't be afraid of starting one. Just work on it here and there and you'll have a lot of it done before you realize it. Still, learn to be concise and minimize what work both you and the reader have to do. The key is: do just enough to get across the impact that you want.

If anything, just try to make an outline of chapters and see how you can spread things out for your character. Otherwise, you can always come back here for help, right?

Areku, I went with working on that chapter of The Wind, and am currently on the eighth page. Found some surprising momentum. I know that "original" project is shorter than my GW one, but I just worry about starting it because if I do, then I'll find myself wanting to draw out lineart and all that stuff. It really is a bit much to juggle that many projects at the same time. Sometimes having multiple talents can be trouble because you don't have the time to use all of them.

Anyway, I think that's all I got to say. ....My room wreaks of scorched arm hair. =(
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Big B

I keep a file of plot lines for a series. Nothing uber detailed, but it's just the jist of what's happening in a particular arc.
tehprognoob

can someone brief me on pre-Celestial Being (ie pre episode 1) gundam 00 history, whatever there is to be known?
i want to write a prequel for 00 about the fifth solar power war

ShadowCell

Reading Gundam 00P, which is set fifteen years before the series begins, is probably your best bet. There's also a reference to a battle presumably fought during that war in episode 16 or so of the second season, involving a younger Sergei Smirnov.
tehprognoob

Hmmm...pretty useful for reasoning out a timeline by deduction. Thanks, although I was planning on writing an earlier time, and write it not from Celestial Being, but the Union's point of view. Gundams, in fact, aren't even planned. (It's a grunt-on-grunt fic through and through, taken from the viewpoint of one of the worst, least disciplined, most badly trained and least experienced MS squadrons in the Union military.)
And the reference, btw, was probably to Smirnov's tactics, which he re-employed against CB. Sumeragi made a reference to it.

ShadowCell

No, in season two there's a very clear flashback showing Sergei commanding some HRL forces fighting off some faction attacking the incomplete orbital elevator. I'm not entirely sure when it's set, but Sergei's son Andrei is a small boy at the time.

I don't really know of anything in the AD franchise that takes place before 00P and doesn't involve Celestial Being somehow. You'll probably just have to do some educated guesswork.
tehprognoob

@ your sig:
You gotta give the guy some credit; that post was excellently written.

Anyway, i think that was when he made the tactical decision to sacrifice his wife, an act that forever alienated his son from him

and okay...i guess i just need the rollout date for the Realdo, the Hellion and the Tierien/Anf...gonna look on MAHQ a bit more...

Rob DS Zeta

tehprognoob wrote:and okay...i guess i just need the rollout date for the Realdo, the Hellion and the Tierien/Anf...gonna look on MAHQ a bit more...
If you're going to be using military, then your Anf needs to be a Fantong.
*insert witty eyecatch here*
tehprognoob

i know.

Seraphic

*pain*

Okay, I finished chapter 3 of The Wind. The story's Index can be found at The Lost Citadel. If some of you are looking for a non-mecha/scifi story, then this might make for a decent diversion. And again, we could always use more members at The Lost Citadel. Posting a story there almost gives a 100% guarantee that I will review your work. Come show your stuff off there if you have work that can't be put on mechatalk.

(Don't worry, ShadowCell. I'm just trying to steal away your troublemakers.) :wink:

I guess I can finish up a few drawings first and then work on formulating GW: The Sword's next chapter. Too bad school is starting again next week. =/

I've been up way too long. Need sleep now.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

Deathzealot

Hello Everyone!

I know that the last story in the Forgotten Fleet Trilogy (Warriors From the Shadows?? :?: ) is anywhere online. Therefore I am wondering if anyone has it laying around, and if they could send it me. I did have a copy but I lost it when I lost my External Hard Drive (grumble :x )

Thank you in Advance.
mcred23

Deathzealot wrote:Hello Everyone!

I know that the last story in the Forgotten Fleet Trilogy (Warriors From the Shadows?? :?: ) is anywhere online. Therefore I am wondering if anyone has it laying around, and if they could send it me. I did have a copy but I lost it when I lost my External Hard Drive (grumble :x )

Thank you in Advance.
Well, you can view it (And the other two) here. If it doesn't load at first, click the fanfic button on the left and it should take you to the proper pages.

However, it is worth pointing out that the version of Warriors in the Shadows on that site doesn't include the last chapter to be completed (Which was only posted ages ago on GundamWatch) and the story was never finished anyway. IIRC, Zinegata got really unhappy with how that was panning out and restarted Warriors in the Shadows, posting the first chapter (Or two or three? It wasn't much...) of a completely different version of the story on a later version of GundamWatch.

Of course, you could just ask Black Knight if he still has it all and can resend them to you like he did when you asked this in the previous thread. :P
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Deathzealot

mcred23 wrote:
Deathzealot wrote:Hello Everyone!

Thank you in Advance.
Well, you can view it (And the other two) here. If it doesn't load at first, click the fanfic button on the left and it should take you to the proper pages.

However, it is worth pointing out that the version of Warriors in the Shadows on that site doesn't include the last chapter to be completed (Which was only posted ages ago on GundamWatch) and the story was never finished anyway. IIRC, Zinegata got really unhappy with how that was panning out and restarted Warriors in the Shadows, posting the first chapter (Or two or three? It wasn't much...) of a completely different version of the story on a later version of GundamWatch.

Of course, you could just ask Black Knight if he still has it all and can resend them to you like he did when you asked this in the previous thread. :P
/laughs/

Thanks once again mcred. I did PM him about a few weeks ago and he hasn't yet responded which is the reason for my posting here asking about it.
Seraphic

Well, he IS at war right now. Cut the guy a break....
-Antares