Personal Mecha Designs (with a bias towards realism)

The place to share your artwork.
omikun

Personal Mecha Designs (with a bias towards realism)

Hey all, found this site while googling Gundams at work. I've always wanted to talk about design philosophies and practicality of mecha designs and I think I've found the right place.

I'll post the one I'm working on right now later tonight but I wanted to introduce myself first with some stuff I've worked on in the past:

http://omi-kun.deviantart.com/art/Launch-61823147
Catapult mech
Done for an art club artbook project in UT Austin. The core concept is just a big mech with lots of engines for staying airbone. I didn't factor in any design considerations/practicality.

http://omi-kun.deviantart.com/art/Mecha ... e-59398908
Tank mech
I always think the ideal mech will be a mixture of tank and legs. I'm still working on the combination.

http://omi-kun.deviantart.com/art/On-a- ... d-27275505
APC mech
Again, more or less the same thing.

http://omi-kun.deviantart.com/art/ddr-M ... d-14132327
Slightly Gundam Mech
This one was a Painter test. I just wanted to play with the brush engine.
omikun

http://ca.plasmahawk.com/forums/download/file.php?id=73

I'm trying to think of what a mech can do that a tank can't do better and I got a few ideas:

Navigate urban terrain better such as stepping over wrecked cars etc.

More maneuverable in tight spaces.

Height advantage... though this could be more of a disadvantage since other tanks can shoot it down easier. I've put an anti-missile turret on the back bottom side of the main turret but it's not as useful if it was up top. However, I feel that would ruin the sihlouette. Any ideas?
Wingnut

omikun wrote:http://ca.plasmahawk.com/forums/download/file.php?id=73

I'm trying to think of what a mech can do that a tank can't do better and I got a few ideas:

Navigate urban terrain better such as stepping over wrecked cars etc.

More maneuverable in tight spaces.

Height advantage... though this could be more of a disadvantage since other tanks can shoot it down easier. I've put an anti-missile turret on the back bottom side of the main turret but it's not as useful if it was up top. However, I feel that would ruin the sihlouette. Any ideas?
If you made the anti-missile pod rectangular in shape and had it along the top lengthwise you could still maintain the sihloutte for the most part. Perhaps also having the unit conform more to the main body when not in use as well.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Fall_Ryan

Wow. just... Wow. Great stuff.

Anyways. As far as a practical Mecha goes, this would be my criteria.

1. Small in Stature, No more than 6 Metres tall. (Has to fit on transport planes, etc)

2. Must share common fuel source with other military vehicles. (No electric only nonsense, must have a conventional Gas or Diesel engine.)

3. Must be able to protect itself efficiently from Infantry.

4. Must be able to effectively engage heavy armor.

5. Must be cheaper than a tank.

6. Must operate in places where heavy armor cannot

My thinking is that the mecha from Heavy Gear, themselves very much derivatives from the AT's in VOTOMS are pretty close to perfect, at least for a humanoid type mecha.

The walking tank idea, well how about Gear Krieg? They are two legged walkers, however, their legs fold and have either a tracked or wheeled Secondary movement system, in SMS mode their profile is no higher than a standard tracked vehicle but the walker mode allows them extra manuverability in tight spaces.
Heretic

I like the multi-leg Hybrid tanks myself; that is legs, with tracks or wheels combining the best of both worlds. Best examples are the armoured vehicles in Ghost in the Shell SAC.

For a bi-pedal mecha you could stick to the Metal Gear style legs and combine the tank tracks/wheel elements for when the legs are in a more crouched position, allowing for lower profile. Then the tracks and wheels can lock when the legs are extended allowing the mecha/tank to step over obstacles.

*Twitch* It’s only a few days until I get my Lego back, but I can’t wait that long! Need to build Mecha! *Headdesk*
2. Must share common fuel source with other military vehicles. (No electric only nonsense, must have a conventional Gas or Diesel engine.)
I disagree. An all electric mecha makes more sense. With the amount of articulation necessary for walking movement, electric actuators and hydraulics powered by electric pumps is much more practical than combustion engines. With modern battery tech a fully electric system would be lighter and electric systems run much colder, cutting down on the heat signature. Add to that, if you have the right power adapters you can recharge nearly anywhere with an active power grid or off of other vehicles. You don’t have to worry about refuelling or fuel fires. Also you could have wind or solar powered electricity as a backup.

::Side note:: I don’t consider Solar or wind generators very efficient in the large scale, but for charging the batteries in a single vehicle they can be useful.

As for a role for such vehicles. They’d never replace the MBT or APC, but as an infantry support vehicle they could be effective. The kind of backup offered by a tank but small and nimble enough to support squads of men clearing out buildings in a confined urban environment. As such they wouldn’t be the towering weapons of war we idealize in our anime, probably not even topping Nine Meters in height. Small enough when crouched to hide for an ambush but big enough to carry enough punch to get the job done.

Sorry to ramble like this, great artwork so far, I look forward to what you’ll do next.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
Ryujin

Nice work!
omikun wrote:I've put an anti-missile turret on the back bottom side of the main turret but it's not as useful if it was up top. However, I feel that would ruin the sihlouette. Any ideas?
How about using directional mines or stacked projectile arrays (a short-barreled version of the Metal Storm system, perhaps) controlled by phased-array millimetric-wave radar to send a cloud of high-velocity shot or shrapnel at incoming missiles? Being rectangular & somewhat flat, they can be arranged in a similar manner to reactive armor panels. The directional mines would be virtually indistinguishable from ERA panels, come to think of it, and you'll be able to retain the general silhouette.

IRL, the Russian ARENA APS functions similarly, but has a mast-mounted radar instead of flat panel radar arrays.

Of course, there's the drawback that each claymore mine has to be replaced when it discharges, and the range would be shorter than a dedicated CIWS turret. A Metal Storm-type system would be able to deliver multiple salvos & can be reloaded, but would be bulkier as a consequence.

...and God help any infantry who's too close when they discharge.
omikun

Thanks guys... I can't seem to make anything worthwhile to post mecha wise. I'm thinking of a smaller design for infantry support, preferably in close quarters. But my brain isn't functioning for mecha right now.

I am working on a ship tho, partly inspired by Hellburner: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attach ... 1215492444

She's doesn't travel at .33c or anything but should be able to get to Mars in a couple of weeks. All the thrusters are ion based. Haven't thought about what kind of weapon she'll have other than just 'missiles'
Ryujin

omikun wrote:She's doesn't travel at .33c or anything but should be able to get to Mars in a couple of weeks. All the thrusters are ion based. Haven't thought about what kind of weapon she'll have other than just 'missiles'
Perhaps some of the circles on the hull are pop-up laser turrets, primarily for defense against micrometeoroids & such. I'd steer away from weapons that produce significant recoil in order to avoid the lengthy course &/or attitude corrections that are part & parcel with low-thrust ion drives.