have a question on ship designs

The place to share your artwork.
gaspmaster

have a question on ship designs

hi.. i know im knew here. i love the site. everything i asked for and more... it even got me into watchin SRW. anyway, straight to the point.. i was thinking of making my own gundam fan fic and have decided i might use some of the wonderful pictures and specs created by some of the people here... but i am at a loss for interesting ship designs. im a person that needs visual stimuli to make stories. So i was wondering if there might be a section in this sight that i have missed pretaining to shipsfrom all these animes. like a cross between kusanag and archangel or acidalium and eternal. i mean we have talented artist here making all these variations on robots and mobile suits i thought mybe someone might be doing the same thing to ships.

i thought i would bring this up cause i haven't found a site quite like this... i also read most of the rules and i believe it said something about mecha only but im not quite sure of that so i put this post in general. I thank youfor your time.

also.. if and when i do use the pics and specs of some of these variations i will give credit where it i due.. i always try to be fair and not steal someone elses work if i can help it.
ShadowCell

Moved to Art.
Heretic

The trouble with Frankening starships is a lot of the artwork provided doesn’t match up as nicely as the art for mecha. The other problem is the artwork is often in different positions and styles across the different Gundam universes. Most of the ships in seed are pictured at different angles than the ships in UC Gundam. It makes sticking the two of them together very difficult.

More often then not, the best way to make a clean, uniform ship design is to draw it from scratch. I find grid paper is best for this, drawing a side and top view. You can add front, back and bottom views if you like but I find top and bottom are good enough to get the feel for the design. Here’s an example, Tribal Class Destroyer

Then if you have any tolerance for tedious, repetitive work, (it also doesn’t hurt to have an understanding of the metric system) you can scale you design up in a 3D program like Google Sketchup, add colours and details, pick an angle to show it from, then export it as a 2D image file like this Tribal Class in 3D

Note: The Tribal Class a Work in Progress and is entirely mine, used in my own original Sci-Fi.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
gaspmaster

well.. i can imagine the stuff in my head.. im just really bad at drawing... i mean to the point where sometimes i can't tell what the heck i had drawn. so i guess im s.o.l. there.