Anybody have an idea for a mecha head?

The place to share your artwork.

How clear was I in asking for help?

Thorough, I understand what you're looking for.
25%
Just cut to the chase. Jeeze...
25%
tl;dr
50%

Total votes: 4
Areku

Anybody have an idea for a mecha head?

One thing to get out of the way: Sorry, I don't have any pics for reference. I can't draw. Should be easy enough to envision though.

As the title says, I have a mecha I'm designing for an original work of fiction I'm writing, but I can't seem to find a head that fits the rest of it.

Start off with the legs (from the waist down) of the MS-09 Dom (08th MS Team version), and on top of that add the torso and arms of the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex". Then extend the hovering exhaust vents so that they appear to feature vectored thrust and come closer to the ground, add a blended[1] CIWS system onto the top of each shoulder, and remove some of the bulk from the lower arms (no concealed gatling cannons here). That's the baseline shape of the mecha. Skip the next part if you don't want to be babbled at.

If you feel you need to know a bit more of it's function, it was first fielded in 2021 [2] as a low-crew alternative to a tank, and around 90 of them are produced. It's role is hard to describe, but it essentially performs as a very expensive tank most of the time, and then "kicks in the front door" for a few minutes and creates an opening for other forces. It is not the cornerstone of their overall power.

It's power source is a small nuclear (fission) reactor, it carries a large rifle that is comparable to an M1 Abrams' main gun, and can mount shields similar to those of the "Alex" and the RX-79[G] on the left arm. It also carries 12 very small missiles that launch vertically out of each collar bone. It can skirt similar to a Dom, but only for a few minutes at a time (air compressors can only be refined so far). It is also capable of 5 minutes of flight via back thrusters, with performance comparable to how Norris maneuvered the MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom in 08th MS Team.

And pick up here. As far as heads go, I was thinking of something like a Gundam head, but I was also hoping to differentiate it from that design. Maybe something more like the face of the Flag with the tried and true shape of the RX-78. But I also wanted the good ole' head vulcans. But I'd also planned on the head being one of the major sensor clusters, so I'm thinking something more practical-looking might suit it better. I'm not quite sure what all I want out of the head, to be entirely honest.

If you have an idea for a good head on this chimera, I'd much appreciate the help. It can come from anywhere, doesn't have to be Gundam, can be something you've had stuck in your head that you think looks cool. Any help will be welcomed.

[1:] By blended, I mean shorter than traditional CIWS. The weapons retain full movement, but don't stick out as much as it sounds like they would.
[2:] Don't baulk, things go quite differently starting around the 1950's.
Draco Starcloud

Personally, I think a Daughtress head of some sort, probobly the High Mobility Type, might look better on this mech than a Gundam's or a Flag's.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Areku

Draco Starcloud wrote:Personally, I think a Daughtress head of some sort, probobly the High Mobility Type, might look better on this mech than a Gundam's or a Flag's.
Gave myself a few days to think on it (new/unfamiliar heads always look ugly to me at first), but I kinda like the Daughtress heads. Have to say that I think the NRX-018-2 Daughtress Neo looks better on this mech though. Overall, it looks better than the other heads I had in mind, but it seems like it's still missing something (or maybe it has too much). But for now, the Neo D is the unofficial head of my mecha.

Anybody else have suggestions?
Areku

All right, I've adopted the Neo Daughtress head as the official head. Now for a different issue.

Despite my inability as an artist, I tried to do as much as I can to make a coherent image. However, I've been... very displeased with the results, I just can't seem to draw a new section from scratch, nor have my efforts at coloring turned out well. Made great progress in piecing it together though. So I'm going to eventually make a franken request. But first, I want to know the specifications I'm going to ask of the artist.

I've included a link, made from MSPaint, of what I have so far. The unit on the far left is what I'm using for my eyeball designing. My question is this: Should I add vents onto the front of the (poorly) added waist section, and should I remove the vents that are already on the chest? The proposed waist vents would be an intake for the hoverlegs. So should I put vents on the chest, waist, or both? (Also, if anyone has any input on something I'm doing wrong, please let me know)