Crash's Mecha Designs Works

The place to share your artwork.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Re: Crash's Mecha Designs Works

Thanks Shadow, I'm sorry you felt the need to intervene any.

Update Time!

Azure 10 is getting colored! I completed the base colors, as mentioned else where (DA, maybe here as well) the brown color is going to end up being a brass color, most of the other colors are the same as Tares (whom I seriously need to redesign/update). the obvious exception is the dark blue gray color has been moved to a "support role" along side machine gray, a white has been added to somewhat lighten the color scheme and make it less of an overdose of blues. the eyes/sensors have becomes an orange-ish color and when complete will be based off of the colors of the sun at dawn.

A page from m sketch padshowing just how much I randomly draw stuff and return to previously doodled on pages. the top image is simply an attempt at scale and perspective. the mecha is a TX-20 and it's cockpit is extended and open with it's pilot racing towards you after parking the mecha in the side of a ruined building. the pilot has thrown off his helmet which is in midair, yes that thing that you might have mistaken for some detail of the TX-20.

The lower image is a fusion between a TX-20 and a VC Customs design with a stylized command fin on it's head, I've been sketching out a number of these style heads trying to find a pertiualy nice look as I can use it in an upcoming design. The rest of the body, which I realize is very lightly drawn-it's not my scanner's fault this time, is not really developed or based on existing designs and was simply me following a train of thought I had.

finally to the right is an upside down doodle of a barefooted dude with a messenger bag and a longsword. I know random considering everything else on the page, but it was actually drawn long before the mecha was, like four years before! xD

I Haven't forgotten Dreygun either. Here he is in action skidding the last few meters of a dash that would lead to him shoulder bashing a undrawn mecha. According to dreygun's general combat style when he shield bashes the spikes on his shield would penetrate the enemy and he has the option of detonating any number of them. following this he'd throw a follow-through right hook at impact he'd have the option of rapidly extending his mounted sword for additional damage.

...wait that's my whole update? I thought I had a lot more....this won't do won't do at all. *walks off to find more to submit*

----------//Edit//--------
I found more...

Wait and Bleed, a quick sketch I did a while back of some not quite human to the song with the same name as the piece's title. this is a very good example of my speed the entire thing was completed by the end of the 2:35 minute song. in case it slipped your mind, Wait and Bleed is from Slipknot's self titled album released back in 99.

But this is Mecha Talk, we want more mecha right? How about the TX-20 and TX-20 FDC? is that enough mecha for you? I didn't think so!

Alright so I've got another sketch of the FDC TX-20 even though I still can't remember what FDC stands for. Forced Destruction Commando? Focus Distortion Creation? who knows. at any rate it still retains most of it's design from the previous sketch
I modified the right shoulder and assigned the fin extension the role of communications jamming. the sword sheath has been detailed up a bit giving the sheath the ability to open so the sword could be drawn from more possible angles. the left arm's shield/arm-guard has seen slight adjustments to the design to make it more consistent with it's stated ability of storing an Alex style Gatling gun. and yes the pilot is probably saying something akin to "unh uh unn" (referring to the hand's position)

the Last image is the RX-10 getting a quick redesign. the older version was drawn back at the same time, and on the same sheet, as Dreygun was originally so to say the redesign is needed is an understatement. You'll notice that the head features a visor; one of the few designs, if not only, to do so in this thread and is something I intend to keep common in the construction grade mecha. this is because construction mecha aren't even remotely designed to see combat and parts like the visor are easy to beak.

------------//Edit the second//---------
Color!!!
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Haven't heard from you in a while, sir. Still working hard, or just relaxing for a while?

I managed to draw a head for my proposed MFL mecha, but I can't get the torso right when trying to draw in your style. It's quite hard to go from a highly geometrical to an organic looking mech. It'll take some practice....

MechaTalk needs more joint projects between artists!
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
crashlegacy14

still existing. I'm flopping from working on coloring two pieces to playing Saint's Row 2 right now. (that games fun as hell) oh and I took a break to whipe the floor with Halo ODST, another good game.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
crashlegacy14

an UPDATE!!

Azure 02 coming together slowly. I say slowly but really considering the amount of time I've worked on it I'm actually bashing out the design and image rather quickly. any rate.
The Head you'll notice right away he doesn't look like a TR-70 anymore. and for good reason. he's not! I went back and decided to switch him to a TX-30 which I then proceeded to start pimping out. the reason be hind this is to create a more uniformed look for the Azure Dawn's original mecha. That is the known Azure Dawn mecha where all TX produced units. Azure 01, 06, 08, and 10 where all originally TX-20s so it seemed odd that Azure 02 would be of a completely different series.
Azure 02 is one tough son of a gun and has the potential to be a true badass. (in case you're wondering the scanner didn't cut off the right side, the paper did.) while originally slated to have an armor skirt I switched the extra armor components of the legs to the lower legs making them into shin pads some what similar to what we saw on Elendor -though actually being larger) this combined with his overtly large hands and arm guards lead me to actually come up with a joke. Azure 02 is the Goalie. like in hockey. the joke becomes even funnier when I realized that one, his shin mounted boosters allowed him to "skate" and he upgrades his shield with a set of boosters along the rim that allow him to "intervene" and take hits for near by allies by literally dodging into the path of the attack.

Azure 02's heavy armor combined with the massive joints and his power plant actually causes the mecha to run so hot that it's design incorporates an additional cooling system whose vents are visible about the mecha's body. interestingly enough this heat issue can actually be turned into a tactical tool, by shutting down the ventilation system the mecha can build up a store of evaporated coolant which when released can cause a brief smoke cloud.

Azure 02's primary weapon is a heavy machine gun that has seen some "minor" modifications. first the typical TX barrel should is mounted on the bottom of the barrel instead of the top and second the feed mechanism has been flipped. thanks to these modifications the gun can load and connect three of the 500 round drums along the top of the barrel without interfering with the standard belt feed or it's ability to be stowed automatically. speaking of which the gun , which fire the equivalent of .50 cal rounds, is steadied and secured to the mecha by a swing arm similar to the one used by Dreygun. this allows Azure 02 to operate the weapon effectively with only one hand as well as stow the weapon behind the right shoulder when not in use. despite the option of loading the gun with drums, the HMG-10 is usually belt feed with ammo being feed from the over-sized right shoulder capable of holding 1000 rounds.

finally the mecha in keeping with Maldrain custom carries a curvy melee blade which in Azure 02's case is a massive sword that is commonly stored behind the heavily armored left shoulder. Despite all the heavy armor and gear Azure 02 actually has a notably large amount of load capacity remaining and still has noticeable room of his back. because of this Azure 02 is often the unit outfitted with a large container pack and made to haul around supplies for the rest of the team.

I'm fully aware of the fact the Azure 02's shin, between the booster cover and ankle is extremely short. It was running out of room and I fully intend to decompress the leg when I convert the image into it's final form. (yes I'll be using the same pose. I like it.)

Oh and what's this other thing I've been working on?
Last edited by crashlegacy14 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic

"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

crashlegacy14

Seraphic wrote:lol
It's wearing pants?
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic

crashlegacy14 wrote:
Seraphic wrote:lol
It's wearing pants?
That's why it's funny.

Needlesword

Commando version
-Antares

crashlegacy14

I Will Not Bow
----------------------------/C&P from DA Discription/--------------------------------
the original sketch of this was drawn while listening the song "I will not bow" by Breaking Benjamin after the 3:36 time frame of the song I refined and detailed up the image into what I'd use for the line art. the coloring process took me at least three hours.

Yoshimoto (whom still needs to be renamed) is one bad ass mecha. it is equipped with a pair of fore arm mounted devices which use liquid metal to produce mounted blades or shoot spikes out. the mount has such ports on both the wrist end and the elbow end -though more on the wrist end- allowing the device to operate in either direction. mounted on the lower legs are a pair of mini-missile launchers to help round out it's armaments. While not typically used even the hands and feet wend in claws capable of rending armor.
It's head features a set of ear like fins that work much like antennas. these allow the mecha to eavesdrop, participate in, and disrupt any communications withing a rather large range. Mounted on the mecha's back is a set of standard boosters and a "Flash Step" jump booster. the latter of which has been described as a half step away from being a ether drive, this system allows the mecha to quickly teleport relatively short distances. the simple effect coming off his back is that system activating.

obviously in this image Yoshimoto is not fairing all too well and is heavily damaged. it's likely that he is only moments away from a berserker fit as the spirit within awakens in a rage.
------------------------------------//----------------------------------------------

Originally I wanted to simply do this as a quick WIP sketch to throw in the doodles thread...since I was already doing it and started listening to an audio book (Life the Universe and Everything) I decided what the hell (just misspelled what 3 times in a row XD would it have been better if I had misspelled them three noncontinuous times?) I was already going to add "I Will Not Bow" in photoshop might as well go the whole nine yards and get some coloring practice in on a mecha drawing of a design I am very familiar with. ...though it seems every time I draw it it changes minutely. though actually I went for a rather fast coloring job applying the base colors 1 highlight, and 1 and a half shadows to it.

-----------------------------/Edit (1) DEC 22/---------------------------------------
TX-Mas

ho ho ho. bah humbug. my required Christmas based piece of art. see image description for well description.
Last edited by crashlegacy14 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
crashlegacy14

BONSAI!!

http://crashlegacy.deviantart.com/art/A ... -149892687

Some more shots at the Azure Dawn's 08 and 02. Of course by now you guys can tell which are which but hell for the sake of making this more then one sentence: Azure 08 is the top two, azure 02 the bottom two. Like the other set I plan to use these for coloring practice and making into avatars.

http://crashlegacy.deviantart.com/art/T ... -149891745
As if I didn't have enough TX images in this gallery here's bust shots of the TX-20 and TX-10. originally I meant to include the TX-30 to the left of the 20 but ...I didn't. don't really know the actual reason why. but I didn't. Also, the back of the TX-10's cheek guard inclines upward much more drastically then I intended.

http://crashlegacy.deviantart.com/art/T ... -149892470
Sick of the TX-20 parade? well too bad because I somehow have more. I know, I know shocking right. Any rate, here's the TX-20. I'm not exactly sure what I was doing with this one but he's equipped with a lightly drawn armored pauldron that externally is identical to the standard one used by others with the exception of a extra armor plate extending over the outside of the upper arm.

http://crashlegacy.deviantart.com/art/T ... -149893978
some more of TX's armory. This time we have a return visit of the SAR-10 with stupidly light sketches of attachments on it. don't even bother asking why it was named "the destroyer mod" that just makes me feel silly now. I bet I was sleep deprived when I did that. Followed by a light version of the MG-10 I showed off a while back designed to still be shoulder fired. finally is the whole reason I bothered to upload this image, the HMG-10 that Azure 02 uses. for the sake of convenience quoting myself from a few posts previous:
Azure 02's primary weapon is a heavy machine gun that has seen some "minor" modifications. first the typical TX barrel should is mounted on the bottom of the barrel instead of the top and second the feed mechanism has been flipped. thanks to these modifications the gun can load and connect three of the 500 round drums along the top of the barrel without interfering with the standard belt feed or it's ability to be stowed automatically. speaking of which the gun , which fire the equivalent of .50 cal rounds, is steadied and secured to the mecha by a swing arm similar to the one used by dreygun. this allows Azure 02 to operate the weapon effectively with only one hand as well as stow the weapon behind the right shoulder when not in use. despite the option of loading the gun with drums, the HMG-10 is usually belt feed with ammo being feed from the over-sized right shoulder capable of holding 1000 rounds.
Speaking of the Azure 02, I'm guessing you guys really want to know where I am with that guy right? *hears crickets* I'm sure you do. unfortunately I've not got much to show for the past few weeks. damn holiday depression. here it is. Don't get too overwhelmed by the progress or rather lack there of. I have two chief problems first, the HMG-10 I mentioned earlier in this same post is giving me difficulties in drawing it in perspective. even then you see the "top" of the barrel shroud which one can take a quick look at and notice is actually the bottom of most others. a side I've yet to really put much thought into. the second one is the legs, not only am I carelessly playing around with the design of the parts and the over sized shin guards but I'm having difficulties drawing it in perspective at all without it looking horridly unnatural which as lead to more the a few variations in the positions of the legs.

oh and ... Boo.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
crashlegacy14

[insert theme song "He who dies alone" here]

+10 if there's actually a song titled that...

any rate I realized I hadn't posted anything here in a while. partially due to the holiday depression, partially due to other stuff. It actually fell to the second page...

No new progress with Dreygun, Azure 02 or any others. I do have a hand full of other stuff though.

First, ever wonder what would happen if the the Macross 7 pulled into dock at one of the MFL's Stadiums? We'd show them what real rock is like while cracking it to 11. And what if the MFL decided to add a Capture the Flag game to the program? Well, common sense states that someone would have to get the flag.

But lets be honest the MFL is all about heavy mecha on mecha action. ...not like that you sick perverts. I mean the beating the scrap metal off each other in a symphony of metal mayhem. and when we're discussing such gruesomely action by mechanical forms someone will always be in the shadows ready to invoke the spirit of Shrio. Because lets face it the only thing cooler then clubbing someone with your own arm is doing it with their own arm.

and then there are times when you just want to see someone try to do complex areal maneuvers. in those times you fire off a eight missile volley of doom it also works well for getting rid of side kicks long enough to have a masterfully choreographed duel with the head honcho of the enemy team.

But crash we're tired of all the TX-anythings. we want something different! all you seem to do is draw the damned Grunt TX-20 do something different. draw other mecha or hell boobies. Blah blah blah, wah wah wah. suck it up you teat suckling children (was that too insulting?)
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
tehprognoob

crashlegacy14 wrote:[insert theme song "He who dies alone" here]

and then there are times when you just want to see someone try to do complex areal maneuvers. in those times you fire off a eight missile volley of doom it also works well for getting rid of side kicks long enough to have a masterfully choreographed duel with the head honcho of the enemy team.
Very nice way of showing the missiles firing! But most missiles in mecha shows, with the exception of nukes, exist only to be intercepted. I find THAT very odd. Do you clean and color via Photoshop or MSPaint? (I do mspaint and... let's just say that the results aren't very satisfactory.)
crashlegacy14

I color using Photoshop and to be honest the most cleaning I do is in the form of erasing excess from lineart while coloring. well, I also use the various trans form tools to modify line art a bit too so that's not entirely correct.

as for your comment about missile existing to be intercepted, macross actually shows just about as much misses being evaded or shot down as missiles hitting the random grunts. most mecha shows tend to down play missiles because they would make mecha useless in combat then faster then you can say 'Zoinks'.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
crashlegacy14

I'm aiming for quick and simple here with this post. lets see how I do.

Azure 10 is done. most everything I can say is already stated in the image's description on deviant art so I'll just do a quick copy and paste:
Finally I get done with the shading. This pretty much marks the completion of this piece. That's quite something since I originally uploaded the first version of this back in March of 09 and had gotten around to adjusting proportions and adding the base colors by September.

Why the long wait? Well I had intended to finish the shading and upload it along with the image of it's pilot Jess Stalven [link] but never got around to finishing that piece. Hell it still isn't done. The only reason I really got this out of WIP hell is because I worked on it while listening through the backlog of Gundamn!

You might notice that compared to the other images of the Azure 10 this one has been horizontally flipped. why you ask? because Jess is left handed as such the mecha follows suite. I had always intended to flip it after I drew it and realized the error but only got around to it rather recently.

At some point I still intend to finish the Jess image and using it, this and my development image of the TX-20 and Azure 10 put together some sort of wallpaper. Anyway on to the Mecha description right?

The Azure 10, originally a reserve mecha on the Azure Dawn, was a basic TX-20. After crashing on the planet Andrus and loosing among other things Jess' original mecha she transferred to and modified this unit.

The majority of the modifications where to the lower body with the thighs drastically being enlarged to fit components form the the TX-20's heavy weight relative the TX-30. A set of mini-missile launchers where incorporated into the shins while the feet where swapped out for those of a TR-70 and a minor thruster was attached to the ankle's armor rigging.

the torso underwent a similar amount of modifications with the generator and radiator replaced with larger more powerful versions while the torso was expanded out forward and additional armor was placed atop it. the mecha's boosters where mounted on the back of the hips to free up the upper back for future add-on packages.

Elsewhere the head found it self playing host to a set of vulcans. On the forearms gained a pair of arm-guards which incorporated a set of high powered grappling lines. on top of all this the mecha attached an standard issue shield and armed itself with an accuratized variant of the Maverick assault rifle.
on a completely unrelated note here's my character from Fallout 3. something a bit different that I go into detail about.

that's it for now. I've got a lot of sketches laying around I need to do more of before I can present them without them falling out of context and looking odd.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
crashlegacy14

good god. I didn't realize it had been so long since I last posted. get me some jumper cables for this thread! I mean my last post was in may, that's like half a..or ...a really long time. (see what I did there?)

So what has Crash been doing where's at art he promised up and WTF is going on right?

Alright so first off, I should be honest right up front and say I've been playing way to much video games over the past few months. Lostplanet 2, Fallout 3, Halo 3, Halo Reach (came out on my birthday btw), and Fallout New Vegas. And just think when I sit down and play video games it tends to absorb me for an entire day at least. Luckily I'm not still addicted to World of Warcraft like back a year or two.

So yeah given the amount of time between this post and my last one (a lot) I SHOULD have all that awesome artwork for you guys to look at and go "WTF is this *foghorn* eva and gundam porn?" or something like that. because we all know my art sucks... right? I mean the real reason all you guys (the whole two people) come to my ART thread isn't to see all the artwork but rather to read what I've got to say on this and that. Yeah I thought so too.

These where actually drawn a while back I'll admit. a long while back. but I forgot to upload them (apparently) These where some of the head designs I cranked out while going through my big "mecha resource" folder to get ideas for my series mecha heads. All of these, save for one, didn't make the cut for a series mecha so maybe this gives you a bit of insight into my messed up thought process. if so I'd seriously consider getting help with that.

Any way in case you forgot my series mecha are the base line units that I derive all my asskicking mother fucking badass designs from. think of it as the Zakus and GMs that can get upgraded into Gundams and Char Customs.

Speaking of series mecha let me hit you with some goodness of that variety:
Bleep Bloop.

This is all of the Vector Corp Series mecha parts with a few other tid bits thrown in as they are of the same style. The majority of the parts on the left side is the VC Customs series and the majority of the stuff on the right is the VC Knight series.

The Customs is a lower grade mecha that has a large amount of room for modifications making it one of the most versatile and malleable mecha around. It was the first of Vector's mecha line and When the Knight series was developed it was done so on a Customs base. the Knight is a dedicated close range, weapon wielding, and well armored unit capable of inflecting a lot of harm to enemy units. (that a surprise given its' name right?)

speaking of VC manufactured stuff, the corporation also makes fire arms for mecha. here are some. The big thing with VC weapons is that they have cylindrical magazines that can hold notably large amounts of ammunition then standard magazines. In case you've not noticed yet VC design philosophy centers around organic curves and smooth lines. As opposed to say TR's Aggressive and Defense series' hard edged shapes.

So Where am I going with all this stuff right? That's what you guys want to know because as I've stated before you certainly aren't in the Art and Multimedia forums for ...art and multimedia.well I've stated before that all of this stuff is for a mecha fourm-based rpg (which is currently hibernating, opps) that you can find a link to in my signature. What you might not know (unless your one of the guys I chat with...) I'm actually writing a as of yet unnamed side story set in that same universe. most of the artwork I'll be dropping in this thread from her on out would be directly related to that story.

like this and this....and this. The story serves as a bit of an introduction to the world of the MFL and follows Julius a rather physically weak lead who was cryogenicly frozen in 2011. He'll be joined by representatives of the various races make friends, and maybe even find love...maybe.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG