Transformers poster *IT'S DONE*

The place to share your artwork.
V2Buster

Transformers poster *IT'S DONE*

Slowly working on a Transformers piece for this year's Otakon. Thought y'all might like to see the thought progress so far.

Note: I've been drawing mechs long enough to be able to skip through skeleton phase and go straight to form building, don't try and follow my bad example if you're still trying to learn.

The idea for the picture is a set piece showing the rivalry between Optimus Prime and Megatron. The foreground has Optimus Prime standing over a beaten Starscream with a laughing Megatron in the background.

Tools: Opencanas 2.04 and a Wacom Graphire tablet

Stage 1: First idea layout

Prime looking straight forward by his perspective ruins the tension in the piece, so a redo was in order. The legs were also a bit off, but the priority was getting the tension right at this point. At this point, the piece is pretty much Gen 1 inspired.

Stage 2: Second try

Went for a comic book cover idea. Was funny, but ultimately horribly cheesy. Legs still off.

Stage 3: Third try

Prime looking over his shoulder provides the desired tension as it makes it look like Prime is getting ready for the next fight.

Stage 4: Fourth pass

Finally I started to fix the legs. I also started to start deviating from Gen 1 and went for a Hybrid Gen 1 fused with ideas from the recent movie. At this point, the fact that Hybrid Prime stuck out like a sore thumb compared to Gen 1 Megs and Starscream, so...

Stage 5: Fifth pass

Megs and Starscream get a quick hybrid work over. Still zoning in on certain details.

This piece is by no means finished, will update as I find time to work on this.
Last edited by V2Buster on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Knight

Amazing as always, V2. I particularly enjoy seeing your work in stages, as it makes the effort you obvious put into your art much more noticeable.
assault gundam

that whole hybrid concept is really original. That megs hybrid is bad ass, it makes him look trully evil which is only found rarely to the extent of this.
"The person who said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"
OddlucK

Amazing stuff. I think the Op is still looking a bit more Gen1 than Megs and Starscream now do, but still I like what you're doing with the whole hybrid thing. Very, very nice work!
mcred23

Whoa! That is coming out beautifully. Obviously, it's not finished and work still needs to be done, but I can't imagine how that will look when completed. Good work, so far!
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Even uncompleted, that still looks pretty slick!
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
V2Buster

Finished the flat colorings and handed it off to my studio mate Cass to finish off with the detailing. Surely, the man is a magician without peer.

http://tanqexe.deviantart.com/art/Optim ... t-94629087