Making a mech in Maya 7 from scratch to final

The place to share your artwork.
V2Buster

Making a mech in Maya 7 from scratch to final

Heyo, friendly neighbourhood v2 here (you should know me if you've been around the NA Gundam community long enough).

Recently I took up Alias/Autodesk Maya, and decided to do an original mech. Here is the process from pencil and paper to final render.

Pencil design
A slightly generic mech, inspired by Armored Core. Awesome designs, crappy game, story for another day.

Torso half doneTorso and Head

In progress shots show the image planes in the background. Basically just moving polygon vertices around.

Pre Smooth

The model just before smoothing and texturing.

Final Render with Ambient Occlusion

Lots of texture and shader adjustment and this is the final product.

Final polygon count: 72,000

Lessons learned:
-Use nurbs to model large curved surfaces instead.
-Yes, you can snap stuff to a surface. Will use next time for greeble.
-Always remember to save every 5 minutes.
Last edited by V2Buster on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHASER

Very nice, both with the original pencil drawing and the final. I'll be sure to remember to try that program at some point too.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
V2Buster

They have a free version for trying out/learning.

You can get it here: Link

I warn you though, the User Interface in Maya is not for the faint of heart.
Draco Starcloud

Re: Making a mech in Maya 7 from scratch to final

V2Buster wrote:-Always remember to save every 5 minutes.
Oi...I hear that!

Your mech looks excellent! The colors look great and while I don't like the feet, that's just my opinion and not something that's wrong with it.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Turinu

Aye, the feet seem a bit small and lacking in mass, but nonetheless it's a very beautiful original design. Keep up the good work!
OddlucK

Very nice work! Great colors. Great looks. Love it! :D
Azureseilue

Nice job~Try add shadow dirt texture and decal for it,will be more good.
Human live in Earth just have one target, gain money for living...
http://azureseilue.deviantart.com
http://3dmecha-trends.blogspot.com
r34racer01

hmmmmmmmmmmm

That is a really great rendering.

So can someone explain to me the difference between Maya and 3d Studio Max? Aren't they both made by Autodesk?
Don't steal, the government hates competition.
Josh

Re: hmmmmmmmmmmm

r34racer01 wrote:That is a really great rendering.

So can someone explain to me the difference between Maya and 3d Studio Max? Aren't they both made by Autodesk?
Well if I remember my facts and they're all in order I believe Maya used to not be owned by Autodesk, and whatever company that originally made Maya was just boughtout by Autodesk. Also I'm not exactly 100% sure but I don't think Maya has the ability to render 3D animations like 3DSMax can.
pk-man
Location: receiving faxes in the washroom, on Deck 9 aboard White Base

Josh wrote:

Well if I remember my facts and they're all in order I believe Maya used to not be owned by Autodesk, and whatever company that originally made Maya was just boughtout by Autodesk. Also I'm not exactly 100% sure but I don't think Maya has the ability to render 3D animations like 3DSMax can.
Autodesk (3dsmax) bought Alias (Maya), so it's called Autodesk Maya now. Maya can do pretty much what 3dsmax can, and vice versa.
r34racer01

pk-man wrote:
Josh wrote:

Well if I remember my facts and they're all in order I believe Maya used to not be owned by Autodesk, and whatever company that originally made Maya was just bought out by Autodesk. Also I'm not exactly 100% sure but I don't think Maya has the ability to render 3D animations like 3DSMax can.
Autodesk (3dsmax) bought Alias (Maya), so it's called Autodesk Maya now. Maya can do pretty much what 3dsmax can, and vice versa.
So why then does Autodesk still make both programs?
Don't steal, the government hates competition.
Kuro No Sakura

r34racer01 wrote:
pk-man wrote:
Josh wrote: Well if I remember my facts and they're all in order I believe Maya used to not be owned by Autodesk, and whatever company that originally made Maya was just bought out by Autodesk. Also I'm not exactly 100% sure but I don't think Maya has the ability to render 3D animations like 3DSMax can.
So why then does Autodesk still make both programs?
Because these 2 programs have different short cuts to do a same thing
and the interface is totally different

For those long time user they stuck with their old ways to work.
If they (Autodesk) trying to combine these 2 program, those long time user will VERY unhappy since it take a LONG time to familiar with these 3D package (because there is TOO much function and button there)

I myself is a long time user of Maya and if you give me 3dsmax I work 3 times longer

so better make them 2 programs