Seraphic's Section - digital art livestreams

The place to share your artwork.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Re: Seraphic's Section - 10,000 Views?! 5.6.09

(Five pages, wcch!) =o
Strike_Rouge_Mk2 wrote:I really liked your Celestial Gundam... So I really wanted to try drawing it too(I'd say drew it in my style)

Here it is : http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww24 ... img007.png

I sorta had a feeling it drew from the Astray Gundam, and that made it easier for me to draw, because I used to draw the Astray a lot for my friends who loved the Manga. ^^

Hope you don't mind.. :oops:
Oh no, is this fan art? It's far too soon! I'm still just a noob! D:

You did an excellent job on this! Haha, I might even say that you did a better job on the proportions than I did. =p And surprisingly, your attempt is very accurate compared to the original; the only weird things I see are the tail binders (which I admit would throw ME for a loop, too) and that only the left arm should have that arm-mounted thinger. And here I was thinking that my MS designs were difficult to reproduce. That goes to show just how much I overestimate my abilities. =p At the same time, it means you're a lot better, too, Strike. How long did it take you to draw this thing??

Thanks very much for this. It means a lot, and I've tucked it away into a folder. =) You ought to sign your artwork from now on so people don't confuse the two of us. "Since when could Seraph draw with good proportions??"

I don't mind if people draw my things, especially if it's because they like them. I suppose the only thing that would bother me is if people were drawing my characters doing unusual/tasteless things. Oh, and if I catch anyone drawing the S/Freedom doing any harm to any of my MS, I'm going to kick them directly in the balls. Grr, that prissy little Gundam! =o

As for the two projects I am working on, they're both still in progress, and I've been tied up at work lately. Damn, not a lot of time left....

Thiiings of Interest!

EXTREEEEEEME!!
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Strike_Rouge_Mk2

It took me in between thirty minutes to an hour, and I also appreciate that you like it. I was actually hoping you could do something like coloring it, cause I sure a hell can't. As for the Binders, I know they're messed up but I couldn't help it. And the Gauntlet on the right arm was on purpose, cause it would've looked wimpy with out them xD And I'm not all that good with proportions as this is my first time in awhile I actually drew the legs on my(your, lol) mecha.
if I catch anyone drawing the S/Freedom doing any harm to any of my MS,
Temptation.
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
Seraphic

StrikeR wrote:It took me in between thirty minutes to an hour, and I also appreciate that you like it. I was actually hoping you could do something like coloring it, cause I sure a hell can't.
So the original artist is supposed to fix up his own fan art?! That sounds quite backwards! :P Maybe I'll teach you to color instead. =)
Strike_Rouge_Mk2 wrote:
Sera wrote:if I catch anyone drawing the S/Freedom doing any harm to any of my MS,
Temptation.
So, I take it that you ENJOY being kicked in the balls, good sir! =o
So while this junk is still somewhat relevant, I thought I'd go ahead and post the supplementary material that was supposed to go along with it. Lately, I've been drawing in a particular sequence, and I've been keeping records of it with my new camera phone. The sequence is: 1) draw the figure for proportion and stance, 2) draw everything else ON TOP of that, and 3) clean up and detail.

I'd say it can be an effective strategy, though I have no proof since these drawings are actually pretty bad! At least, the record keeping process can help you troubleshoot and identify errors when you go back to look at them.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/ ... 010916.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/ ... 134413.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/ ... 181629.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/ ... 234207.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/ ... 222339.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/ ... 004408.jpg
(That's my 5mm pencil, for size comparison.) =p

Bonus photos:
Parakeets, lol.
The lotus blossom in my mom's garden. (Never seen one up close before.)
Some of the swords/bokken I have crafted. Plus a ruler for size comparison. Yes, the big one is 6ft long....

For my class I am the TA for, we have this activity where the students draw their image of a scientist. They always come up with pictures that are commonly men, and mostly with glasses and crazy hair, alone in a lab. I always wanted to have a crack at this, so here it is:

What does a scientist look like?
(lineart)

I guess my boss didn't like it. "Inappropriate for a professional setting." I'd explain my specific ideas about the picture, but I'm probably talking too much now as it is. I was mostly trying to subvert some of the stereotypes of a scientist.

This is actually the first character I've ever colored. There's some kind of terrible error with the drawing, but I can't figure it out. Her head is probably too big or something. I know I didn't add folds or shading, but this isn't a serious drawing anyway. And I've actually posted up this character before. If anyone can tell me what her name is, you win a cookie! =o

*Edit: Forgot this....
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

Amadi Akintunde

Seraphic wrote: For my class I am the TA for, we have this activity where the students draw their image of a scientist. They always come up with pictures that are commonly men, and mostly with glasses and crazy hair, alone in a lab. I always wanted to have a crack at this, so here it is:

What does a scientist look like?
(lineart)

I guess my boss didn't like it. "Inappropriate for a professional setting." I'd explain my specific ideas about the picture, but I'm probably talking too much now as it is. I was mostly trying to subvert some of the stereotypes of a scientist.
YES.
Seraphic

So the professors asked if I could attempt to help them replace some of the art from their "adapted" textbook for the course. What the book does is show a couple of people offering different explanations for various scientific phenomena. I am replacing that character art. This project is what's been sapping all of my free time lately. Now that it's done I can go on and finish my other open projects that were suspended.

(And I guess from now on, I'm going to use the spoiler tags to help condense the apparent length of my art posts....)

Since it's just for a textbook, I omitted shading and folds, so, yeah, don't bother to mention it. The book just used its characters from a front-on shot, and that was a bit boring, so I had extra drawings for my characters where they looked like they were explaining something.

Ananda: "This is my favorite finger. I call him Pokey!"

And that's MISTER Pokey to you!! For some reason, I can also imagine her making a shrill animal noise instead of actually saying anything. Yeah, don't ask me to explain that one. She's named after a principle disciple of the Buddha. Ananda may have been the most fun to draw. So upbeat. =)

Cis: "You could stand to use this a little more."

I was tempted to have her say "Up here, buddy" but she's pointing at her head rather than her eyes, so that wouldn't exactly work out. =p Cis is a variant of the name Cecilia. I mostly wanted Cis to be an intelligent looking blonde. I kinda went overboard with her design, haha. I really like the drawing of her on the left, since I like the expression. I don't know how to describe it other than being "slightly taken aback". I don't like the drawing on the right so much. That was the most difficult hand I've ever drawn....

Zack: "Waitwaitwaitwait....are you trying to tell me it has the behavior of both a wave AND a particle...?"

lol. Generic male. I figured I needed something funny. Thinking too hard can make you constipated.

Dan: "Oh my god, did you see Rita today? She looked so FAT!!"

Another generic male, though I think I like his orange shirt. I didn't quite get the expression on the right correct. And the hand should probably be turned instead of flat.

Larry: "Why don't you understand what I'm trying to tell you? It's hurting my feelings!"

This is how my mechs look like when I'm not trying very hard. :lol: Symmetry is the enemy! Despite being a robot, I wanted him to look the most expressive among them, so I made him look REALLY confused. I probably didn't get the hands right. =/ Larry is not a giant robot, as he is human sized. His head kinda makes him look like a Patlabor.

Stephen: "So I see...."
Spoiler
lol
I was mostly using this as an exercise for character design. Through this project, I was forced to just come up with people at random, and when that happens, I suppose my personality shows through a bit much. From looking at these drawings, you might summarize my head like this: The women are good lookin' (though still somewhat eccentric.) The men are weirdos. And there's the occasional insane robot or stick figure.

I think the ladies turned out pretty well. It's still quite obvious that I can't draw men at all. I think it's because I'm never really thinking about them or looking at them. >_>;

Errors abound, yes, but I think this time around I want to ask for your impressions of the characters more than any troubleshooting you can offer. (Technical help still welcome, though.)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Let me know if you want to see the lineart. I'm a little weary of doing so many uploads and posting too many links all at once.... -___-;
Last edited by Seraphic on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Antares

Strike Zero

Re: Seraphic's Section - First Commission?! 9.19.19

I will agree that she's very cute. However, she also comes off as a little bland in my opinion, especially when compared to Cis. I think adding an extra garment like a scarf or a vest or simply changing the color of the shirt would probably help with that, but again, that's just me.
Now that is cool -- I like all the little details on the jacket, as well as the color choice. However, "intelligent blonde" wasn't my first impression so much as it was "biker chick". Maybe it was the leather. :/

Now, I know you're not so interested in technical critique this time around, but I am absolutely and utterly compelled to point this out: THAT RIGHT ARM IS FREAKISHLY HUGE. I am totally not exaggerating here. It's either that, or her torso is simply drawn too small. As it is right now, the width of her arm spans nearly half the width of her waist -- no, scratch that, I think it's actually wider than half her waist. Good body anatomy that ain't.

The hand, however, you did very well on. Hard work pays off, eh? :wink:
Not much to say on this guy. I like the expression on the right -- it gives you a feel for his character. I'm not exactly sure how to describe what that might be, however. :/
Orange shirt and white tie? Oh, yeah, he must be getting all the ladies. :roll: But nah, he looks good. I will agree with your assessment of the hand in that it looks rather flat without any depth. This also gives the impression that it's right next to his head rather than in front of it, which is awkward.
That is quite awesome, good sir. Expressive robots are always lawl worthy. The one thing I'll say to be cautious of, however, is that he is going to stand out a lot when compared to everybody else due to the nature and detailed-ness of his design, so much so that some might even view him as out of place. I'm not sure how you might go about guarding against that, but just so you know.
Best character design ever. :P

All in all, very good work. I find it impressive that your stuff is actually getting published in something. Now I'm jealous. :P
Last edited by Strike Zero on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Re: Seraphic's Section - First Commission?! 9.19.09

Ananda: "This is my favorite finger. I call him Pokey!"
I have to echo what's been said before, compared to your other female, she's very bland looking, take a look around at girls on campus for ideas on a change of outfit. on a technical aspect I've also gotta say, her neck is too long, but not by much. to cover this up I'd suggest one of those big thick scarfs (this is giving me an idea for a character myself )

Cis: "You could stand to use this a little more."

Cis seems to have a thinner neck then one would believe is physically possible. also as mentioned the right arm does seem long but not massively so. I think much could be said about the sleeve not following the characters arm to well. btw, I could see her saying "you know this thing *taps head* you can really benefit from exercising it more."

Zack: "Waitwaitwaitwait....are you trying to tell me it has the behavior of both a wave AND a particle...?"
Dan: "Oh my god, did you see Rita today? She looked so FAT!!"
Note you didn't draw either of your males abdomens, this alone would make them seem less 'important' then the females. the arm placement looks off on both of them. In Zack's case the thing you have to remember is that males tend to keep their bodies "open" versus the close and guarded effect you create by placing his elbows against his body as they are. moving the elbows further from the abdomen would also change the way the forearm comes to the arm and would add to the character. In Dan's Case the same applies and as mentioned the hand does look flat, this could have been adverted by making the hand into a more cupped shape or angling the entire hand one way or another. people also tend to lean their upper body into the direction they are talking when conveying some "secret" or under-breath remark to someone else. on a side note Dan looks really bored in the left image.

Larry: "Why don't you understand what I'm trying to tell you? It's hurting my feelings!"
even though you went through the trouble of not trying much there's still a lot more detail in it then in the humans, since this is suppose to be a set that makes problems. the best way to fix this is to dumb down the design. remove the yellow/gold head pieces simplify the chest vents, make the torso-shoulder connection points rounded, remove the small details on the shoulders and back of the head, don't draw the individual finger parts, just standard fingers.
I find when you can't make facial expressions, the emphasis has to be on the body language. Surprisingly subtle things can make for more expression then more massive actions. for example when confused one could tilt their head to a side.

Sera I don't really see a reason why to bother with spoiler tags, especially since no one else in the forums do. doubly so because the spoiler tags look like eyesores against the basic colors of the forums. but if you really want to give us line art or alternate links as well then I'd consider that to be prime material for spoiler tags since it allows you to give the links without throwing a initial mass of them at your viewers. personally, I saw throw them at me!!

oh and the reason for the color in my post is I originally just quoted you and stated dropping comments in.. when I killed the quote I was too lazy to kill the color tags that I used to offset my own words. so deal with the blue. :P
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Seraphic

Sorry for the late response. Been having myself a sh*tty couple of weeks. >=o

Yeah, I had intended the spoiler tags as a mechanism to visually shorten the length of my post, but they just ended up blinding the hell out of me, too. I removed them.

Ananda: I had actually intended her and everyone else to dress a little plain, since this is for a book and the art is not the main focus anyway. Cis was just kind of an accident where I got carried away. But yes, I agree that even if I wanted it that way, it's not so interesting. Still, I wanted Ananda to have a pastel green shirt. =)

Cis: Strike, if you haven't caught on by now, Cis' arm *looks big because her sleeve actually hangs very loosely on her arm. If you look at the openings at the shoulders, and then the opening at her wrist cuff, you can tell just how wide the sleeve is compared to her actual arm. As usual, I initially drew her posture before adding her coat and erasing the lines underneath. I wish I had, but I didn't take a picture of that phase. If I did, you could have seen exactly where her real arm is, but I assure you that the sleeve was much bigger.

Zack: Crash, he's supposed to look guarded because he's actually being very guarded at the moment. He's trying to reason his way through something very difficult, hence the defensive look.

Dan: Haha, I liked his shirt and tie just because it was colored so unusually. Dan looks bored on the left because I wasn't in a good mood when I drew him. His lineart actually looks a bit like me. That happened on accident.

Larry: He's supposed to stand out and look really complicated. That's kind of the punch line to this character. I'm sure the students will be confused when they suddenly see a robot discussing science topics with other seemingly normal people. "What's going on?!"

I'll post up the lineart later if I'm up to it. =/

Oh, don't be jealous, Strike. I don't think the professors liked the drawings too much, so they may not use them in their book. A summary of my thoughts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJfvLPAJ7d0

Here's a random and rubbish idea I've had in my head for a long time:

Downfall of the Federation

Original image, lineart.

I thought I'd go for a more complicated "hook kick" rather than the cliche dragon kick. Whoever designed the MA had weird taste in color, so that's not my fault. And that's also my first time drawing the 78. So disrespectful, I know.... :x

And because I don't feel particularly accomplished,

Thiiiings of Interest!!!

Watch this whole video!

And this!

=)
-Antares

Strike_Rouge_Mk2

Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
Strike Zero

Seraphic wrote:Strike, if you haven't caught on by now, Cis' arm *looks big because her sleeve actually hangs very loosely on her arm.
Looking at it later, the thought had in fact crossed my mind. However, in that case, the reason it looks odd is because there aren't enough lines to show folds and creases and to give the aformentioned "loosely hanging" effect. Unless of course she used a lot of starch to wash that jacket. :P

Dear God...! IT'S THE SPIN ZAM! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!! D:
Seraphic

-Antares

Strike Zero

Seraphic wrote:Hyper Mode.
*Spits out coffee*

Oh, God... okay... that is awesome. :lol:
Wingnut

You Baron Ashura'd the Strike Freedom and Wing Zero.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Red Zaku

Geoxile wrote: Please, give me the pleasure of scoffing.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/2776/truepower.jpg
Sorry but I can top that.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4748/newbigzamyr4.png
ONCE THE BIG ZAM KAI IS MASS PRODUCED NOTHING CAN STAND IN ZEON'S WAY!
"I'M THE CRIMSON LIGHTNING DAMNIT!" - Johnny Ridden
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

you guys both failed. what Sera did was combine two fan favorite lead protagonist mecha into a single unit. for it's hyper mode instead of some elaborate panel opening or color change it puts on a hat. yours are both much weaker in this sense.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Geoxile

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/3880 ... epower.jpg

Well I've combined one of the best designs of the Gundamverse with the SF and the 00 Raiser and now America's no. 1 grilled fast food burger. Truly, it is unstoppable.

Didn't have time to open CS3 so I used paint drag squares >_>
Red Zaku

crashlegacy14 wrote: two fan favorite lead protagonist
OBJECTION! Kira was NOT the lead protagonist. You can argue he took over the main character spot but story wise the Protagonist was still Shinn in Destiny, and it was Athrun int he movies. >.> I also object to the notion of S-Freedom being popular on the grounds Destiny Gundam outsold it handily in Model Kit sales.
"I'M THE CRIMSON LIGHTNING DAMNIT!" - Johnny Ridden
Seraphic

...But that isn't funny. =o You did well shopping it though. To be honest, I don't consider adding only backpacks/EQ/weapons as frankening.
Pretty neat! I kinda like this one.

But would you weirdos stop spamming my topic? lol. We're a bit overdue for an art contest, anyway. It might be a bit late for a Halloween one though. :lol:

The Strike Wing Freedom Zero was a parody of frankening (and my general lack of skill in that area) and young frankeners' tendency to always combine the super mechs all the time. (Though this makes me laugh a bit, because the Wing Zero probably suffers from the fusion while the S.Freedom gains all benefits. :roll: ) The Hyper Mode was also a parody of mechs with really cool power-up modes.

So...it was hard to compare "serious attempts" to my parody. =/

I finally got started on a project I've wanted to do since the summer.

Preview.
-Antares

Amadi Akintunde

You should draw Gundam Girl versions of your GW: The Sword mobile suits. D<