Tough mecha drawing skill

The place to share your artwork.
MechaFAV

Tough mecha drawing skill

Hi,

I want to ask everyone here in this subforum to tell me what aspects of mecha drawing skills is difficult to learn to produce your mecha linearts be it Gundam, Escaflowe etc? Is it proportions, limbs, pilots within robots, body structure?

At the moment, I started to learn to draw my mecha by relying on those 'How to Draw Manga' books and I realised that they are actually pretty easy to pick up since I never knew how to pick up my pencil and doodling it. So I'm wondering what other possible drawing techniques you can learn that separates you between a noobie artist and a professional one?

Thanks,

Emy
WhiteWingDemon

I would say proportions is the toughest because with a mecha they have to be just right. in most other areas it usually is little noticed if something is slightly off.
MechaFAV

Is that right?

Then do you know if they are any tutorials that discuss about mastering your proportion drawing with mecha?

I just want to know if this is something you can either learn on your own or best to find something on the web that can teach you how to do that.
Clest

Well I personally have more trouble with proportions and a bit with color schemes...

But when I took manga lessons and when I went as a teacher, most people had trouble with joints and mechanics... because while you can use a human sketch to make a basic pose+proportion reference, the body of a mech is composed of parts connected by joints which in most cases are visible.

As for tutorials, I don't know any, but I made one for a friend during an art course once, been postponing to do it again, but may have a hand sometime :P
Freek

Clest wrote: As for tutorials, I don't know any
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/56718844/

**Note**
You must be over 21 (in the states at least) to draw mecha.
I'm doing something with my life, I'm just not sure what that is yet.

Freekarrtt

My DA page (though I hardly ever update it)
Clest

Damn, you beat me! that is awesome!

But I don't drink really, unless it is a very sweet drink ;)
Testament

I did a small tutorial as part of an idea I proposed some time ago in this forum; it's not much, but you can check it out anways at my DA:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/44429484

By the way, no. 2 is halfway through, so I might finish it up eventually :P
Mecha gallery | DA gallery
Original mecha designs and lineart.
MechaFAV

Hi Testament,

I must say I'm really impressed with the work you've done to outline the gundam drawing tutorial.

May I ask is this one of the main fundamentals that a mecha artist must pick up to draw any cool-looking mecha art that he/she wishes? Or does it only apply for gundam mechs only?

I want to know what other key concepts of successful mecha art drawing involves that any aspiring artist must master?

The books I have trsf are to be great asset for me to pick up valuable skill on mecha drawing for the first time and I want to know what else do I need to do to get much better along the way in order to realise my artistic potential just like yours?

Thanks,

Emy