ShadowCell Draws Stuff and Puts it On the Internets

The place to share your artwork.
Dean_the_Young

ShadowCell wrote:
...well, Blazing Saddles had gay people in it, but no, it wasn't a gay cowboy movie the way Brokeback Mountain was a gay cowboy movie.
Oh, never mind then.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
ShadowCell

*sigh* Curse you, Random Image Thread.

I hadn't originally intended to post these here, but since it didn't cause you all to go wacko polytickz insane when it showed up there, I suppose I can risk it. Just be warned that if you do go all wacko polytickz insane, there will be hell to pay.

ZerObama

He commands you to Change.

Celestial Democrats

I blame the Random Image Thread for this. Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, and John Kerry as Setsuna F Seiei, Lockon Stratos, Allelujah Haptism, and Tieria Erde respectively. My reasons for choosing each are long, various, and probably not suitable to this forum, so you can accost me over PM for them if you're that curious.
Dean_the_Young

Dude, you are one twisted man. In a weird way.

I tremble at the thought of 2012, which is as close as I will ever come to saying that I expect more.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Lord of Darkness,

I'm sorry that I keep failing to comment you. I guess you can explain it as me being a jerk or something.

Though you always surprise me and catch me off guard every time you update, you're apparently one of the more skilled artists here. And probably one of the most productive! I'm very impressed mostly by the sheer number of works you are able to put up in a single post.

It's obvious that you are improving over time. Your lineart is getting much cleaner, and that's likely what you should focus your efforts on. Everything looks good and accurate, but on each drawing there's always a trouble spot here and there. Yeah, I know, it's the most tedious and un-fun part of drawing mecha, but doing well on the lineart can be very satisfying in the end. I guess I might know, because the lineart is kinda all I can do at this point. I think mostly you should practice working on head parts and face plates. Just draw a few heads to a page to get used to it instead of trying a new head for a new mech every time. Oh, and work on those ankes and feet. I kinda suck at that, too. =/

Still, it's very impressive that you can do all that just by a visual reference alone.

Your color work is always really solid, but the color choices in themselves are sometimes sorta weird. It seems that you draw in pencil, too, and you figured how to lift lines into a layer much sooner than I did. You probably saw Crash and me talking over it in his topic, but can you share with us the method you happen to use? Even though I can already do it decently, hearing other methods could be useful for study. =)

The character work you have is very impressive, if you ask me. I'm personally a little apprehensive about coloring characters, and haven't started that. I'm very interested in seeing if you have anything else to show in this area.

Overall, I'd definitely say that you're very good, and that you surpass me in both skill and productivity by long shot. And the same story holds true in writing apparently. Yup, my ass has been thoroughly kicked. =) Good work, sir. Please let us know if there is anything else you have to show us, or even if there are any pointers you are looking for.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
ShadowCell

My method is as follows:

-Draw everything on a blank piece of paper. Usually I use a .7mm or .5mm mechanical pencil on blank white paper.

-Scan it. I scan it at 300dpi in black and white, without shrinking it down. The plus side: it's easy to clean the lineart. The downside: anything you do takes a while.

-In Photoshop (the program I use, anyway), colorize the lineart using the Image > Adjustments > Hue box. I usually use a color light enough for the lines to stand out but dark enough to see.

-New layer. Call it Lineart, if you so desire. Use the Pen tool and a black 2px pencil (or whatever size you want to use, now that I think about it) and start making anchor points over the lightly-colored lineart. Do this about a kajillion more times. Try not to throw your computer out the window in a fit of hysterical rage if/when Photoshop crashes in the middle of the process.

-Do the Hokey Pokey.

-Turn yourself about.

-That's what it's all about.

From there I imagine you can continue with whatever method you want, but that's how I clean lineart.
Seraphic

Ah, so you do it the frustrating way that I avoided like the plague. =p

Crash taught me how to "lift the lines" into a layer, where it looks like the layer has the original pencil work, except you can color underneath it now. It's kind of the lazy man's way to do it, cause it takes less than a minute or two to do. >,> But really, I think I like this method because I'm rather attached to the original pencil work that I make.

On the other hand, your method is probably better practice because it makes for cleaner lineart. =) I might go that way once I have a tablet. The thing that worries me most about that method is that it sometimes alters the expressions of my characters. Sometimes the subtlety of a line can be corrupted by inking, and it sometimes completely alters a drawing.

Oh, and I don't think you should be so concerned about vector art. The program does the calculation for you, as far as I can tell....
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

ShadowCell

I used to do what it sounds like you do, except that meant that my lineart had to be pristine and beautiful when I scanned it, and it, y'know, wasn't. ><

If something comes out weird in the inking stage, though, I can just hit Undo. I abuse the hell out of that feature. I wish life had an Undo button.
ShadowCell

Wargh.

Pretty much just made a new wallpaper for myself, now that I think about it, while practicing putting together multiple images in Photoshop and toying with filters and things.
Seraphic

Phwoar!

I can make random noises, too. =o

I actually got up out of bed because I realized I had forgotten to comment you. >,< But damn, Shadowcell, you pretty much beat me to everything, don't you? =P This is a very nice piece, and seems put together pretty well even with you just starting to play around with effects. I'm going to have to learn how to do all of this really soon.

The after-image effect you got going is pretty nice. And I notice that your two Destiny units aren't just recolors. They have different legs and V-fins from each other. And beam sabers are superior to the ASS. (How the hell would a laser block a beam anyway?) Their posture looks pretty much perfect and well thought out. Did you use a model reference for this, or was it by memory?

I think the picture would look a bit better if the Earth were not as blurry as it is. But being 100% crystal clear would also be inappropriate. That may help the coloring style of your MS and characters not stand out so much against the backdrop. Maybe you could have drawn your own Earth? =p

I like the color work you've done on the characters. I've noticed that you tend to have very sharp and angle-y features on the hair and faces of your people. Perhaps you could study ways to soften these features a bit. It may be just your stylisitic choice, but this might be something useful to learn. The proportion on the upper body of the character on the left is a bit unusual, both in the torso and the arms. The arms may be too thin or short on both characters. And the level of androgyny here is alarming! :lol: (People in space without helmets! Okay, I'm joking again.)

In short, I'm just very impressed by this. Not many of us here attempt full action scenes. I'll be approaching this level soon though. I do hope you can come up with more. =)

Okay, back to sleep now.
-Antares

ShadowCell

I drew the one on the right pretty much from memory/reference from lineart. The one on the left, I used the EMSiA Justice sans flight pack for initial reference plus some lineart that I posted earlier in this thread, then just sorta went from there. I drew, scanned, and colored everything separately and just stitched it all together over the background. The afterimages came just from copying the final image and pasting it into successively lower-opacity layers dragged to the sides. The Earth and stars came from a couple plugins called LunarCell and Glitterato, and I just messed with the blur filters and opacity.
Seraphic

Shadowcell, is it possible for you to just post the individual components of that picture, like the mechs by themselves and the characters? I'd like to see how they turned out without all the effects in the way. The MS are a bit small to make out clearly. =p
-Antares

ShadowCell

I don't have the characters on their own, but I have the mechs.

Twilight and Nightshade.
Seraphic

Shit, that was fast! @,@ Thanks, though!

Giant, evil butterflies of glowy death! :lol:

They're a bit small for me to fully appreciate the detail, but things are clearer at least. =) I'm no Destiny expert, but something tells me that the lower parts on the wings need work. And of course, the designs are very sharp in their geometry. Maybe you can explore forms that are round or irregular in the future. (But of course I'm not telling you to change these already established designs.) I think my favorite part must be the dynamic postures seen here. Very good! =o

You're improving very very fast, so I think you'll nail all of this on your own eventually. =)
-Antares

ShadowCell

Buh. 00 fanfic designs I've been working on for a while. More may be forthcoming. Or not. Who knows.

GN-0000/D 00 Deus Gundam
After an epic final battle with Ali al-Saachez's Astaroth Gundam, the 00 Raiser is in need of repairs. Ian Vashti rebuilds it as the 00 Deus Gundam, combining the 00 Gundam and 0-Raiser into a much more compact unit. It carries a bunch of antennae for controlling its massive GN particle supply, and carries a sweet new GN Sword III as well as two of Ian Vashti's newest toys, the GN beam shield. The 00 Deus also has a two-seater cockpit, so Setsuna F Seiei and the Twin Drive System's operator, Saji Crossroad, can get into all sorts of drama on the battlefield together.

Modified a previous redesign of the 00.

GN-010 Durga Gundam
Standard version
GN shield bits equipped
Repairing the damaged Cherudim Gundam, the swanky new Durga Gundam features even greater maneuverability and firepower in the form of a grand total of nineteen GN shield bits, and carries two of Ian Vashti's newest toys, the GN beam shield. Lockon Stratos uses this Gundam and its trusty Haro to command Celestial Being's other Gundams and be generally awesome.

Modified a previous redesign of the Cherudim.

GN-011 Kali Gundam
Mobile suit mode
Flight mode
Rebuilt from the damaged Arios Gundam and all-but-destroyed GN Archer, the Kali combines Arios and GN Archer with increased performance, maneuverability, and firepower, and carries two of Ian Vashti's newest toys, the GN beam shield. It's piloted by Nena Trinity, includes a port for her evil Haro, and has even more cockpit space for her to make out with Setsuna, if she could ever lure him inside.

Modified a previous redesign of the Arios.

GN-012 Ganesha Gundam
Built out of the wrecked Seravee Gundam, the Ganesha Gundam mounts an extra pair of GN cannons and six extra sub-arms, each wielding beam sabers. It can also generate a much stronger GN field, and carries two of Ian Vashti's newest toys, the GN beam shield. The old Seraphim Gundam is still mounted on the back. The Ganesha is piloted by newcomer Feldt Grace, and includes a port for a Haro unit to provide backup.

Modified a previous redesign of the Seravee.

GNW-1000 Erelim Gundam
Designed by Wang Liu-Mei and her minions to accompany the Arche and her finest employee, Ali al-Saachez. The Erelim and its sister unit, the Ophanim, are not completed until after Ali has ditched the Arche; instead, the Arche is rebuilt, modified, repainted, and joins the Ophanim and Erelim as Wang's personal bodyguard units.

The Erelim is pretty much just an Arche-ized Throne Eins. It can still connect to the Arche and Ophanim for a GN blast of epic proportions, but its cannon has even longer range and, at full power, can now rival the old Dynames Gundam's stratospheric orbital sniping whatchamacallit cannon.

Traced over the Arche partially.

GNW-3000 Ophanim Gundam
Designed by Wang Liu-Mei and her minions to accompany the Arche and her finest employee, Ali al-Saachez. The Ophanim and its sister unit, the Erelim, are not completed until after Ali has ditched the Arche; instead, the Arche is rebuilt, modified, repainted, and joins the Ophanim and Erelim as Wang's personal bodyguard units.

The Ophanim is pretty much an Arche-ized Throne Drei. Carrying an improved GN Stealth Field, it can also use a large shuttlecraft called Rian to transport itself, the Arche, and the Erelim to whatever hotspot their prissy boss desires.

Traced over the Arche partially.

GNW-5000 Morning Star Gundam
After a disastrous defeat by Setsuna F Seiei and Graham Aker, Ali al-Saachez goes back to a certain spoiled rich girl who happens to be employing him and is outfitted with the swanky new Morning Star Gundam. Sporting a grand total of twenty GN Fangs and three GN Drive[T]s to produce a crude approximation of the Trans-Am System, Ali is all set to kick ass and, when he remembers, to take names.

GNX-729T Excel
Designed by the Arrows task force, the Excel is a Gadessa-ized Ahead Smultron intended to stand toe-to-toe with a Gundam. Equipped with a crapload of particle accelerators, it lacks the expensive escape pod that the Innovators are so fond of, instead relying on tough armor and blinding speed. Louise Halevy and Andrei Smirnov are among its first pilots, but the Excel fails to gain much popularity among Arrows pilots when compared to the standard Ahead.

SVMS-01GN GN Flag
Mobile suit mode
Flight mode
Graham Aker's end-of-season mobile suit, it's an Over Flag hastily fitted with some next-generation parts (courtesy of Professor Eifman) and a GN Drive[T] salvaged from the wreckage of Alejandro Corner's Alvatore.

Traced over the Over Flag and Union Flag Custom II partially.
Destroy Gundam

ShadowCell wrote: GNW-5000 Morning Star Gundam
After a disastrous defeat by Setsuna F Seiei and Graham Aker, Ali al-Saachez goes back to a certain spoiled rich girl who happens to be employing him and is outfitted with the swanky new Morning Star Gundam. Sporting a grand total of twenty GN Fangs and three GN Drive[T]s to produce a crude approximation of the Trans-Am System, Ali is all set to kick ass and, when he remembers, to take names.
Or when he bothers to say them correctly, those darned Celestial Whatchamacallits.

I like the way it looks, though. It looks intimidating without looking fragile like the Arche did/does.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
Bremics

Oi! What happened to Shinn and Nena? :P
ShadowCell

I'm working on it! ><
Bremics

ShadowCell wrote:I'm working on it! ><
Really?! :D
Sweet!
Seraphic

We're running low on Gundam names! :lol: It's nice to see you moving into Sanskrit names. I'm probably one of the few that recognizes them. Durga is basically the SSJ4 Goku of the Hindu world, haha. You'd be surprised at how much of a laugh you get out of studying religions.
"Your god worships my god, so you're already one of us without realizing it!!"
"...uh--duhrr..." o,O

These don't look quite as clean as your previous entry, but work is work. =p I think I like the Ophanim the best. Good design and color, not to mention a great name. =)
-Antares

ShadowCell

Myeh. Figured I'd finish off the Gundam Dominion series I started a long friggin' time ago.

GNW2-004 Gundam Dominion Delta
The Dominion Delta hides underneath the armor of the Dominion Epsilon, like the Nadleeh and Virtue. The Delta carries an offshoot of the Trial System called the Omni System, which connects its pilot directly to Veda and gives it unprecedented combat information. It's also a formidable close-range fighter.

GNW2-005 Gundam Dominion Epsilon
The Dominion Epsilon is the heavy artillery machine with a mobile suit underneath the fatsuit, like the Nadleeh and Virtue. It carries only one GN cannon and a redesigned GN bazooka, but it also incorporates a couple of short-range beam guns and two friggin' huge missile containers in its legs.